Facebook gets rid of privacy option

Emerald
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has thanked: 0

Facebook gets rid of privacy option

Post by Emerald »

It will make all users on Facebook searchable. I know some people that are deleting their accounts because of this. What do think about this change?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/facebo ... d=20543155

Username
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Facebook gets rid of privacy option

Post by Username »

Good thing I don't use my real name on there. :D

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Post by BellaJane »

Most people on my friends list don't use their real names anyway, they use some combination of nicknames and/or initials. If you really don't want to be found, just change up your name a bit. I was EyeBee Jaye (I B J for Isabella Jane) for a while and now I'm BellaJane (lastname). Seems to be working out just fine. But I do understand that people are getting frustrated...seems like every time FB changes something our accounts lose more and more privacy options. It's getting old.

AngelPrincess
Informer
Informer

Post by AngelPrincess »

i already changed my name to my first name and middle name but I don't like those nicknames or names like sara mrsstealyoman Jonson but if they are really getting ride of the privacy then I'm going to have to change my name to my nickname and middle name. I dont have any incriminating stuff on my facebook but like one commenter on the article said I do have some Christianity post and I dont want a job opportunity or someone important to judge me because of that. I would get rid of my facebook all together but that's the only way I can communicate with family members from Jamaica and England.

lacrymosa
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by lacrymosa »

So it's just making your name public then? I think it's cute people thought they ever had any privacy in the first place. Many times i've had requests from people i hardly know saying they found me because i was on someones friends list. If someone wants to find you, they will. (and i don't even use my real name either) :o

Besides if i understand it isn't as drastic as it sounds. Your profile and information will still be private if you wish for it to be.

Slagg
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Slagg »

I've always regretted signing up for Facebook.
Now, I regret Mark Zuckerberg ever going to college.
I WISH YOU WOULD, bitch nozzle.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

My FB name is my first&middle name anyway but like someone said, there is no privacy anyway. Employers and other people can still find your account regardless. There are programs for it.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Well you can still control what you do and don't share publicly. I think it's always a good idea to view your profile as someone not logged into FB at all (I usually just do it using a different browser) just to see what I have appearing, and will clean up anything I don't want others to see. I do use my real name for my personal FB though, because it's how I've reconnected with a lot of old friends of mine.

Izabella

Post by Izabella »

I don't think it's a big deal, who cares if someone can search you? Just don't accept them, and make sure all your information can't be seen by anyone outside your friends list.
And like someone said, if you really want to be found by someone on Facebook, you will. I know this being a huge fb creeper myself ;)

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

There are a couple of people that I don't want searching me or seeing even the smallest of things on my facebook just because they haven't moved on from the past yet and it has been years. I wish I could block them from even seeing my picture, but I guess I'd have to delete my profile altogether.

rollietrollypollie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by rollietrollypollie »

wanderlust wrote:There are a couple of people that I don't want searching me or seeing even the smallest of things on my facebook just because they haven't moved on from the past yet and it has been years. I wish I could block them from even seeing my picture, but I guess I'd have to delete my profile altogether.
Omg I can relate to this so, so much! I deactivated my account a year ago this month and i've never regretted it.

Long story short "friends" would show/tell my ex about anything i'd post, where i'd check in, what I was up to so i just deactivated it and it felt so good!
This is the deep and dying breath of, this love that we've been working on.

Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by 0222 »

Ew! This is why I don't have a Facebook and haven't had one in a couple of years. I've always been a private person and it is super annoying when people you barely know and people you just met ask for your facebook.. Just because we work at the same place does not mean I want you to have access to all my information and photos!!

I used a fake name. My first name and Pandas as my last name. I made it so you couldn't search for me and I used a random email I made specifically for Facebook and I even had a fictitious location and everything but somehow creepy guys I didn't want having my facebook would still somehow find me and try and add me. It was so weird! I dumped facebook when I discovered tumblr.

Izabella

Post by Izabella »

wanderlust wrote:There are a couple of people that I don't want searching me or seeing even the smallest of things on my facebook just because they haven't moved on from the past yet and it has been years. I wish I could block them from even seeing my picture, but I guess I'd have to delete my profile altogether.
You can block the person, and they won't be able to search you or see your picture

My Facebook just has a profile picture and you can't see any photos of mine at all, not even my friends can see my photos. I don't have a wall, and I have 0 statuses. If you go on my profile, you'd literally see nothing- no statuses, no pics, no activity, nothing. If someone added me, they wouldn't be able to see anything or find out anything about me, but this way if someone who doesn't have my number needs to contact me, they can easily message me. Or if I need to contact someone, I can message them.
Facebook does have really good privacy settings, you can block certain people on your friends' list from seeing certain things, or just block all your friends from seeing anything at all.

Return to “Facebook”