Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rhett & Link

Post by urmel »

lurkerloo wrote:
urmel wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:51 pm
lurkerloo wrote:
Have they really had scandals or anything problematic? I saw the tweets from the one Muslim employee but I couldn't find anything following that.
What's his account, or do you have a link?

finally figured out how to change this (sent from hell)
I can probably search for it, it was on his Instagram stories now that I think about it. There really wasn't much information, someone asked why he didn't work at GMM anymore and his response was something along the lines of "They don't like POCs" with no follow up. I think the employee's name was Saagar.
Hm. Didn't have the whole team down as actual racists.

urmel
Informer
Informer

Post by urmel »

Ah, here's a link

Post by Guest »

urmel wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:44 pm
Ah, here's a link

Yeah that's the only thing I've seen and he never did elaborate, did he?

His name is Saagar Shaikh. He's very much the type who uses his race as his entire identity. His twitter and google searches for him are full of him being all "White people" this and "terrorists" that. Not that I ever want to dismiss anyones feelings, I do always believe you should listen to people of color if they say they are having a problem they believe is related to race - but if that's a resounding theme from that person over and over again, it CAN come off as a 'boy who cried wolf' scenario, which it appears may be the case here.

lurkerloo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lurkerloo »

CheesyBirdMess wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:44 pm
urmel wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:44 pm
Ah, here's a link

Yeah that's the only thing I've seen and he never did elaborate, did he?

His name is Saagar Shaikh. He's very much the type who uses his race as his entire identity. His twitter and google searches for him are full of him being all "White people" this and "terrorists" that. Not that I ever want to dismiss anyones feelings, I do always believe you should listen to people of color if they say they are having a problem they believe is related to race - but if that's a resounding theme from that person over and over again, it CAN come off as a 'boy who cried wolf' scenario, which it appears may be the case here.
His dog is Rhett’s dog’s litter mate. They did a GMM episode and a GMMore episode about it. They seemed very at ease and comfortable with each other during the episodes. Obviously we don’t know what happens behind the scenes.

I’ve always remained neutral on it due to the lack of information. It’s tough, you don’t want to not listen when a POC says they’re having a problem, but you also don’t want to blindly believe it because that could hurt someone’s reputation.

monak
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by monak »

Unless this dude has proof that he was treated poorly because he's a poc he can take a seat. Don't say shit like that without proof.

pixarballs
Learner
Learner

Post by pixarballs »

I think it's BS
If he had gone with they don't like Muslims it would've been more believable since A while ago Rhett was bitching on EB about how his sister in law got married to a Muslim and saying "now... I don't know why she would do that..."

plantsandstuff
Learner
Learner

Post by plantsandstuff »

I don't think its farfetched to say they may not like POCs. I mean theyre older southern dudes, they grew up around confederate flags and all that jazz. Even Link made comments around I *think* not being able to be friends with one kid because he was black or something. it was a conversation on the podcast, I might be remembering wrong too, so please correct me if I am! I dont want to spread false info.

They honestly, probably might still have some underlying issues, or maybe they make ignorant comments that can be hard to ignore in a work place. Its not a crazy thing to say just given the past of where the were born, were they raised and the things we've heard them talk about openly for a long while.

urmel
Informer
Informer

Post by urmel »

pixarballs wrote:I think it's BS
If he had gone with they don't like Muslims it would've been more believable since A while ago Rhett was bitching on EB about how his sister in law got married to a Muslim and saying "now... I don't know why she would do that..."
Oh wow, guess that Christian indoctrination dies hard. They like to act like they're all liberal and open-minded and what not, even though they have that evangelical background - but that only goes so far, I guess.

Do you recall what EB that was? I stopped listening regularly a while ago, but I'd go back to check out the context.

Yoona
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Yoona »

pixarballs wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:51 am
I think it's BS
So you don't believe him, and yet in the same post gave an example of how Rhett is an ignorant, intolerant bigot. Okay.

Gagging at all of the people here rushing to discredit a man of color to save their white faves though. They may have moved to LA and got rich, but they spill their cultural insensitivities, misogyny, classism, and lowkey racism on a weekly basis. As much as I despise Link I will say that he's just a tiny bit less bigoted than Rhett, but they're both trash as far as I'm concerned.

Post by Guest »

I was totally reminded today of the time when they went back to Rhett's old house and neighbourhood (and spoke to a sweet old neighbour lady that knew him) and he wanted to get inside to look at his old house, which I get to a point - but the guy was obvious having none of it and even said he had two sick people inside etc, and he clearly didn't like that they confronted him with a camera etc. I felt it was extremely rude of him.

Then of course all the 'fans' were going off in the comments say they would totally let them in, and how 'mean' the guy was being and how he was probably up to shady/illegal shit inside. Like piss off. I'm a private person with a bit of anxiety, and can't stand door-knockers or unexpected guests, so I too would get pretty pissy if someone just turned up wanting to look inside what is now MY house and belongings, disrupt my sick family and pets, all with a camera documenting it for the world to see. I wouldn't be so polite as the guy there!

Post by Guest »

I certainly am not defending them in any way. The only information other than the few words that guy said, who has a history of utilizing identity politics, so that does make it suss.

But clearly Rhett and Link are problematic in other ways.

Stevie is still their Numero Uno? She basically runs everything, right? She's very out and proud, which is great. I also remember her being very vocal on twitter and instagram against Trump, and for womens rights - despite Rhett and Link agreeing they weren't getting into politics on their shows, or personally endorsing anyone at the time.

It seems odd that they might have a problem with a Muslim guy of Indian descent, when their go to person in charge is a queer liberal feminist woman, and it would appear a lot of their staff believe the same via their social medias.

I would almost suggest that perhaps it was Saagar that maybe had a problem with the more liberal staff and opinions, when it's clear he's a very staunch Muslim, constantly posting how good of one he is, that he even turned away form his own wife because she didn't have her hijab on, he's just that good.

:roll:

Anyone know what this was in relation to?

His entire twitter is basically "white people bad" brown and muslim = good. He even retweeted:

pixarballs
Learner
Learner

Post by pixarballs »

Do you recall what EB that was? I stopped listening regularly a while ago, but I'd go back to check out the context.
Sadly, no i don't. But it was probably in 2014 since that's when i stopped listening to EB

Also to clarify, I'm saying it's BS because of the kind of person saagar seems to be and how it's not farfetched that he would blame a disagreement they had on him being a poc

pixarballs
Learner
Learner

Post by pixarballs »

And omg the ENTITLEMENT in that old house video is hilarious. You could see once they got back how he was visibly angry. Like he totally didn't expect anyone would dare tell the now established popular youtube megastar rhett that he can't just randomly walk into the house he lived in years ago. I cant believe that someone can be this much of an asshole. for some reason I feel like he was probably raised spoiled and coddled in his "wealthy for the south" family.

urmel
Informer
Informer

Post by urmel »

CheesyBirdMess wrote:

Anyone know what this was in relation to?
It was in relation to this

https://www.thecut.com/2018/10/funniest ... -text.html

I guess he's implying that the government is only sending emergency texts out to white people to let all the PoC die?

plantsandstuff
Learner
Learner

Post by plantsandstuff »

urmel wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:30 am
pixarballs wrote:I think it's BS
Oh wow, guess that Christian indoctrination dies hard. They like to act like they're all liberal and open-minded and what not, even though they have that evangelical background - but that only goes so far, I guess.

I think was pretty early on! when they still had guest but were putting out occasionally episodes with just them.
Its in an episode with just them. Im gonna skim through some today while working haha

lurkerloo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lurkerloo »

CheesyBirdMess wrote: I was totally reminded today of the time when they went back to Rhett's old house and neighbourhood (and spoke to a sweet old neighbour lady that knew him) and he wanted to get inside to look at his old house, which I get to a point - but the guy was obvious having none of it and even said he had two sick people inside etc, and he clearly didn't like that they confronted him with a camera etc. I felt it was extremely rude of him.

Then of course all the 'fans' were going off in the comments say they would totally let them in, and how 'mean' the guy was being and how he was probably up to shady/illegal shit inside. Like piss off. I'm a private person with a bit of anxiety, and can't stand door-knockers or unexpected guests, so I too would get pretty pissy if someone just turned up wanting to look inside what is now MY house and belongings, disrupt my sick family and pets, all with a camera documenting it for the world to see. I wouldn't be so polite as the guy there!
Yes! I saw that and was put off by it. I would NEVER let a stranger come into my home without notice, especially if they had a camera and I had sick people. I don't even like friends or family coming over without me having time to straighten up.

lazygossip
Talker
Talker

Post by lazygossip »

Today's episode "1000 Years of Pie Taste Test" is the first time I actually thought there was weird tension between Rhett and Link. I've seen people say it about them before but I never really saw it for myself but for some reason, I really felt some weird tension today. More wasn't really any better imo.

urmel
Informer
Informer

Post by urmel »

lazygossip wrote:Today's episode "1000 Years of Pie Taste Test" is the first time I actually thought there was weird tension between Rhett and Link. I've seen people say it about them before but I never really saw it for myself but for some reason, I really felt some weird tension today. More wasn't really any better imo.
The whole thing about "how the game is played", noticed that too.

plantsandstuff
Learner
Learner

Post by plantsandstuff »

urmel wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:44 pm
lazygossip wrote:Today's episode "1000 Years of Pie Taste Test" is the first time I actually thought there was weird tension between Rhett and Link. I've seen people say it about them before but I never really saw it for myself but for some reason, I really felt some weird tension today. More wasn't really any better imo.
The whole thing about "how the game is played", noticed that too.

Rhett sounds so passive aggressive the entire time, its kind of ugly honestly.

Post by Guest »

and something else I remembered about Saagar, which I know this is the Rhett and Link thread, but still it was ON one of the Rhett and Link after shows (or maybe even an Ear Biscuits?) where they talk to the crew.... There was a time he was talking about meeting muslim women online because he was looking to get married, and there was one girl he was really interested in and she was a photographer and lived in another state - and he wanted to pay for her to come to California to meet him, and she refused and he was really upset and offended over it and was even kind of ranting stating "nothing would happen" etc... and he made it seem like she was leading him on, when it's clear he was going all "nice guy TM" on her. It was really awkward!!!

Found it - 53ish minutes

She was from Phoenix and said she wouldn't come out there unless it was for work, and he was all like "it wouldn't get physical, it's completely off the table - I would be respectful" but still the expectation of having a guy pay for you to come to his place to meet is not something I feel any woman would do - but especially if she is conservative - and I honestly can't believe that Link and Saagar didn't get that nuance, at all!

Return to “N-Z”