Post by jeshikadoll »

Uhlizubeth
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tips to stop biting nails

Post by Uhlizubeth »

Hello I bit my nails since I could remember and stopped about 9 months ago. I tried MANY stupid things, then one day I just decided that I was sick of my fingers aching and my nails looking all raggedy, then randomly stopped. It only lasted about a month before my finals week stressed me out and I started again but it was a start until I eventually did stop for good.
This is what worked:
I invested into a variety nail colors that I've always wanted to wear. Whenever I got the urge to bite them I painted them. Nail polish kept my hands away from my mouth, if they were already painted I took the polish off and repainted them. Now I currently have "pretty nails" and no urge to bite them.
*Once they start growing long, trim them or file them down. If one breaks you'll want to bite it off, then all of the rest. I promise.

Hope I helped :)

EdgySequences
Debater
Debater

Post by EdgySequences »

I've been biting my nails since I was about 4 (I'm 20 now). Until about two years ago, I decided it was time to quit. I'd paint my nails and make them look all nice so whenever I got the urge to bite, I would stop. I tried those nail polish things that taste horrible - that somewhat worked. My mother used to put chilli on my nails so I would stop biting but that didn't work for me. You could read up on how gross nail biting is...that kinda scared me into quitting lol. I still occasionally bite them but not as much as I did before. I've let them grow a bit now and I put time and effort into taking care of them, and knowing that fights my urge to bite. You just need to learn to control yourself. It's difficult at first but it's possible!
вє чσursєlf, єvєrчσnє єlsє ís tαkєn <3

methadonepretty
Talker
Talker

Post by methadonepretty »

I think I quit when I got really into painting my nails. That or when I developed a different habit like pulling my hair our or smoking...which is bad advice don't do either of those.

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

I personally don't think tips work, I bit my nails all my life and quit about 2 years ago, my nails are pretty now, but nothing worked for me, I just quit out of nowhere.

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

Oh man I have the same problem. I've been biting my nails for as long as I can remember. I'm 22 now and I still bite them, especially when I'm stressed out. Sometimes it gets so bad that my fingers bleed and my cuticles are destroyed. From time to time I'll put on fake nails which helps since you can't get to your real nails, but then I'd have to remove them for school (I worked with my hands a lot) but now I graduated so I might try that again long-term. I tried bad tasting nail polish but it didn't work at all so I returned it. Maybe getting a manicure done professionally would help? I might try that one of these days too, if I can get my nails to grow out a bit.

Thankfully they don't look too gross. I think my cuticles and nails in general have gotten so used to the abuse that they have somehow adapted to my habits e_e
imma ball til the day i fall

Primadxnna
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Primadxnna »

I used to bite my nails as a child but I stopped when I was about 6. I used to remind myself of all the yucky germs that lived on my nails, and that if I kept eating them, I'd get really sick. :lol:

Return to “Nail Care”