Nail Polish vs. Acrylic Nails

Kleineganz

Nail Polish vs. Acrylic Nails

Post by Kleineganz »

Ok not sure if there is a topic related to this (I did search first!), but wondering how many gals here prefer the acrylics over just polish on natural nails?

I personally have extremely brittle natural nails (and yes I tried every treatment known to the western world to strengthen them, nothing worked) so about 14 years ago I got acrylic nails put on and I haven't looked back since. I get them refilled every 3-4 weeks, and a new set every 3-4 months and I have been wearing them non-stop all this time.

Most of the time I just do the white tips (french manicure), but every now and again I feel daring and get a color put on instead. I've not yet ever done flowers or fancy patterns. Fanciest I've ever gotten was getting a sparkle acrylic (it had glitter in it or something) for my wedding last year.

Pixiepink
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Nail Polish vs. Acrylic Nails

Post by Pixiepink »

I personally have never tried acrylics ,do you wear them for length? Gel nails could be an option for you ( where the nail polish is cured under a UV light) ; many people have great success with as its aimed to be a chip free alternative to regular nail polish. It's basically like a thick nail polish applied to the natural that grows out, then you get them redone. Many people also have used them to grow their real nails, as the thick coating almost acts like a protective layer whilst not damaging your real nails like acrylics might. However I tried Shellac gel nails once and was dissapointed as I found they chipped in less than a week, although I may have just gotten a bad manicurist. Honestly I cannot stand applying nail polish, as I have no patience for the whole waiting for it to dry etc.. I tried those nail stickers and they just came off when I went in the shower.. I give up on my nails for now :lol: :lol:

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Pixiepink wrote:I personally have never tried acrylics ,do you wear them for length? Gel nails could be an option for you ( where the nail polish is cured under a UV light) ; many people have great success with as its aimed to be a chip free alternative to regular nail polish. It's basically like a thick nail polish applied to the natural that grows out, then you get them redone. Many people also have used them to grow their real nails, as the thick coating almost acts like a protective layer whilst not damaging your real nails like acrylics might. However I tried Shellac gel nails once and was dissapointed as I found they chipped in less than a week, although I may have just gotten a bad manicurist. Honestly I cannot stand applying nail polish, as I have no patience for the whole waiting for it to dry etc.. I tried those nail stickers and they just came off when I went in the shower.. I give up on my nails for now :lol: :lol:
Actually my salon does gel over acrylic. And I do it so I have a tiny bit of length. I can't stand having super short nails like these:

I can't let my nails grow out too long though ... that drives me crazy as well (I've let my current set grow out far too long now and I desperately need to get them done).

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BellaJane »

I hate hate hate acrylic nails. I've had them twice. The first time I pulled them all off within two days because I couldn't stand it. The second time I had them for a wedding, so I had to wear them for almost a whole week. I couldn't put my contact lenses in, I couldn't wash my face without scratching myself, I couldn't wash my hair. Terrible time. And I hated how fake they looked. Like, nobody has nails that look like this:

But then again my nails are pretty thick and sturdy, so I don't have the breakage problems that you have. I used to when I was a teenager (my nails literally looked just like that you posted) but I've somehow managed to grow them out and strengthen them up over the years. I would probably like acrylics a lot more if my natural nails didn't turn out so well, though.

Regina Phalange
Informer
Informer

Post by Regina Phalange »

After wearing acrylic nails for a few years I stopped about 7 years ago. I got tired of the maintenance, the cost, etc. I don't see myself getting them again. French tips seem so outdated to me now too but that's just my personal opinion. I also love being able to wear so many different colors. Gel manicures are great. I usually get those done for special occasions and before going on vacation.

justanotherhater

Post by justanotherhater »

I always wanted to try it but it's too much maintenance for me to keep up with. I also heard it really weakens your natural nails. My nails are naturally (with the help OPI nail envy) very long and strong, if I don't clip them or file them for a while, they would too long. My friend of many years has until last month thought I wore acrylic.

But I'm curious to try them, did they weaken your natural nail?

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

JustAnotherHater wrote:I always wanted to try it but it's too much maintenance for me to keep up with. I also heard it really weakens your natural nails. My nails are naturally (with the help OPI nail envy) very long and strong, if I don't clip them or file them for a while, they would too long. My friend of many years has until last month thought I wore acrylic.

But I'm curious to try them, did they weaken your natural nail?
The nail underneath the acrylic will be weaker, but the natural nail that grows out is normal.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

I just got a new set of the 'pink and white' acrylics put on yesterday and this is how they turned out (I always ask them to make them fairly short because I hate really long nails, and I hate the square edges so I ask them to do them round).

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Regina Phalange wrote:After wearing acrylic nails for a few years I stopped about 7 years ago. I got tired of the maintenance, the cost, etc. I don't see myself getting them again. French tips seem so outdated to me now too but that's just my personal opinion. I also love being able to wear so many different colors. Gel manicures are great. I usually get those done for special occasions and before going on vacation.
I personally prefer the french tips because it's a clean look that goes with everything. My problem with wearing colors is that they don't go with everything ... and I'm part of an older mind-set where I like my stuff to be matchy (I still match my shoes to my purse whenever possible, for example). That might be because I'm from an older generation and that's what I was brought up with.

Pixiepink
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Pixiepink »

Kleineganz wrote:I just got a new set of the 'pink and white' acrylics put on yesterday and this is how they turned out (I always ask them to make them fairly short because I hate really long nails, and I hate the square edges so I ask them to do them round).

They look good, honestly I'm suprised as arcylics can come off really artifical. I think the length and shape you got makes it look a lot more natural.

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BellaJane »

Yeah Klein those look great. I've never seen acrylics look so natural. They're usually big and bulky with that awkward inverted triangle kind of shape. Your tech did a good job!

Regina Phalange
Informer
Informer

Post by Regina Phalange »

Kleineganz wrote:
Regina Phalange wrote:After wearing acrylic nails for a few years I stopped about 7 years ago. I got tired of the maintenance, the cost, etc. I don't see myself getting them again. French tips seem so outdated to me now too but that's just my personal opinion. I also love being able to wear so many different colors. Gel manicures are great. I usually get those done for special occasions and before going on vacation.

I personally prefer the french tips because it's a clean look that goes with everything. My problem with wearing colors is that they don't go with everything ... and I'm part of an older mind-set where I like my stuff to be matchy (I still match my shoes to my purse whenever possible, for example). That might be because I'm from an older generation and that's what I was brought up with.

Your nails look really good. When I wore them I also did pink and white. I used to choose French tipsmformthe same reason. I never wore color on my nails bc it didn't match with everything. Then after awhile I changed it up. I still match my shoes to my purse for the most part especially dressier occasions. My mom is of the generation that you never have bare legs with a short dress. She will wear nylons in 100 degree heat! She and my aunts are appalled that my cousins and I will go without nylons. They think we look unfinished.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Regina Phalange wrote:
Kleineganz wrote:

Your nails look really good. When I wore them I also did pink and white. I used to choose French tipsmformthe same reason. I never wore color on my nails bc it didn't match with everything. Then after awhile I changed it up. I still match my shoes to my purse for the most part especially dressier occasions. My mom is of the generation that you never have bare legs with a short dress. She will wear nylons in 100 degree heat! She and my aunts are appalled that my cousins and I will go without nylons. They think we look unfinished.
Thanks! :)

Yeah I'm the same way, I can't wear a dress without nylons. It feels too ... naked. :?

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

BellaJane wrote:Yeah Klein those look great. I've never seen acrylics look so natural. They're usually big and bulky with that awkward inverted triangle kind of shape. Your tech did a good job!
I always go to shops run by Vietnamese immigrants. They seem more willing to please you and do your nails the way you want them. I went to the same nail salon for 12 years, until they shut down 2 years ago, and thankfully I found a new place that does just as good work.

I know what you mean about the chunky look. A friend of mine goes to a "higher end" nail salon and they always make her nails look chunky, no matter how often she asks them not to.

jean101
Informer
Informer

Post by jean101 »

Definitely natural! I've had acrylics before and not only do they destroy your nails but they're also a lot of effort to maintain! Like $20-25 just to get them infilled every few weeks is insane!

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

jean101 wrote:Definitely natural! I've had acrylics before and not only do they destroy your nails but they're also a lot of effort to maintain! Like $20-25 just to get them infilled every few weeks is insane!
Shop I go to now charges $50 for a new set (and I tip generously), and $30 for a "rebase" (fill in). Yeah it's expensive, but it's the one luxury I have always afforded myself. I'll give up lots of things before I give up my acrylics.

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

I got acrylics once when I was 13 or 14 for a dance, and then had to remove them a few days later when I realized I couldn't play my guitar with them. Removing them was a painful nightmare and my nails looked like crap afterward. I doubt I'll ever do it again, even though my natural nails tend to split and grow downward. I'll just live with ugly short nails. :P

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Sonia wrote:I got acrylics once when I was 13 or 14 for a dance, and then had to remove them a few days later when I realized I couldn't play my guitar with them. Removing them was a painful nightmare and my nails looked like crap afterward. I doubt I'll ever do it again, even though my natural nails tend to split and grow downward. I'll just live with ugly short nails. :P
How did you remove them? The easiest way is to soak them off with a special solvent (most nail salons will help you take them off for free). If you ever decide to get them again (for a special occasion), keep that in mind. Peeling them off is extremely painful and will damage your nails a lot more than if you just soak them off.

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

Kleineganz wrote:
Sonia wrote:I got acrylics once when I was 13 or 14 for a dance, and then had to remove them a few days later when I realized I couldn't play my guitar with them. Removing them was a painful nightmare and my nails looked like crap afterward. I doubt I'll ever do it again, even though my natural nails tend to split and grow downward. I'll just live with ugly short nails. :P
How did you remove them? The easiest way is to soak them off with a special solvent (most nail salons will help you take them off for free). If you ever decide to get them again (for a special occasion), keep that in mind. Peeling them off is extremely painful and will damage your nails a lot more than if you just soak them off.
I soaked them in acetone. The nails came off pretty easily but it was still painful, especially since my nail underneath was now so thin. I'm pretty sure acetone is what you're supposed to use, but maybe I didn't soak them long enough.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

Sonia wrote:
Kleineganz wrote:
I soaked them in acetone. The nails came off pretty easily but it was still painful, especially since my nail underneath was now so thin. I'm pretty sure acetone is what you're supposed to use, but maybe I didn't soak them long enough.
Yeah if you soak them long enough, they become a soft, jelly-like substance that is easily removed with an emery board. Doing that is more gentle and doesn't peel away the top layers of your natural nail.

Return to “Nail Care”