Wedding Planning

cakewalked
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wedding Planning

Post by cakewalked »

So my fiancé and I are planning our wedding. We are stuck between two options. Originally we wanted to get married on an island in the Caribbean at an all inclusive resort. We wanted to have it in December of 2014. However, being that its expensive for the guests, most of them are saying they would prefer to go in June of 2014. Kyle and I are really sick of trying to plan pur wedding around everyone else. Its really stressful. We dont want to wait that long. So we were thinking of having it in a city near where we live (two hours north) near one of the great lakes. That way, we can have it this summer, when we want, in a city we both love. It won't be outrageously expensive for the guests and it won't cause so much stress. I still lovebthebides of getting married on a beach though. But to me it seems more important that everyone is able to be there.
And as I'm typing this I found out one of my guests is pregnant. So she won't be able to go in December either.
What do you guys think? Anyone with experience with this?

Winter song
Informer
Informer

Re: Wedding Planning

Post by Winter song »

I've witnessed a lot of wedding planning, both the good and the bad. The advice I can give you is that it is your wedding so don't feel that you are settling on something you will regret later on but on that same note don't push people beyond their limits just because of that. Normally, if the guests have to travel and stay somewhere it is customary for the wedding family to cover the expenses and if that cannot be accommodated then maybe you should reconsider your location all together. You should consider that the people attending your wedding are invited as guests and should be accommodated accordingly. You shouldn't put them in the position to have to choose to either shell out a chunk of money that maybe they need to have saved for something else or miss your big day.

I know a couple who desperately wanted a destination wedding but they couldn't afford all of the guests and a lot of them had scheduling conflicts so they had a separate wedding in their hometown with all of the expected guests/extended family (actual wedding ceremony) and then had an intimate destination wedding (think of a mini reception) with extremely close family and lifelong friends across the country.

You could do the opposite and have your extremely close family/friends come with you to a destination for the actual wedding ceremony (since only close family/friends are really interested in the ceremony) and then have a celebratory reception close to your home with the entire guest list.

You need to realize that maybe you and your fiance really want to have a destination wedding but to some of your guests it may be a huge inconvenience. I think you should sit down and consider what is going to be really important about that day and decipher between what you absolutely cannot give up and what you can maybe find another solution for.

cakewalked
Talker
Talker

Post by cakewalked »

Winter song wrote:I've witnessed a lot of wedding planning, both the good and the bad. The advice I can give you is that it is your wedding so don't feel that you are settling on something you will regret later on but on that same note don't push people beyond their limits just because of that. Normally, if the guests have to travel and stay somewhere it is customary for the wedding family to cover the expenses and if that cannot be accommodated then maybe you should reconsider your location all together. You should consider that the people attending your wedding are invited as guests and should be accommodated accordingly. You shouldn't put them in the position to have to choose to either shell out a chunk of money that maybe they need to have saved for something else or miss your big day.

I know a couple who desperately wanted a destination wedding but they couldn't afford all of the guests and a lot of them had scheduling conflicts so they had a separate wedding in their hometown with all of the expected guests/extended family (actual wedding ceremony) and then had an intimate destination wedding (think of a mini reception) with extremely close family and lifelong friends across the country.

You could do the opposite and have your extremely close family/friends come with you to a destination for the actual wedding ceremony (since only close family/friends are really interested in the ceremony) and then have a celebratory reception close to your home with the entire guest list.

You need to realize that maybe you and your fiance really want to have a destination wedding but to some of your guests it may be a huge inconvenience. I think you should sit down and consider what is going to be really important about that day and decipher between what you absolutely cannot give up and what you can maybe find another solution for.
There are a select percentage in the world that could pay for all the costs of a destination wedding. Guests airfare and hotel stay is close to two thousand a piece. from my understanding, guests pay their way. Mine have no trouble paying, they just want to wait a year and a half from now. That's a long time to wait considering we bought our rings last summer. We are a bit sick of waiting around everyone else. we're leaning towards a larger wedding up north where guests can stay at a hotel and attend. That way, more people can go. Thanks for your input!

highhappyfree
Learner
Learner

Post by highhappyfree »

My Fiancé and I decided we wanted to get married in Jamaica, and after looking into it, it turns out most resorts give you a completely FREE wedding for a few guests if you stay at their resort for more than a specific amount of days (about 6). We decided we'd go with only our parents for the wedding, stay there for our honeymoon for 2 weeks (with our parents staying or leaving as they wish) and have a party/reception with friends and family when we get home. A big wedding/all the planning is just not our thing, so it's perfect for us. Your wedding is for you and your future husband, think about what YOU want and do it your way, you'll only be thinking about each other in the moment anyway!

Return to “Wedding”