Random Thread is Random: Debit, Credit, or Cash?

Primadxnna
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Random Thread is Random: Debit, Credit, or Cash?

Post by Primadxnna »

LadyKaiko wrote:@Wonderland: Maybe your dad or an adult relative can take you to get a debit card? Also, who is in your avatar? She looks like Marina and the Diamonds.
He tried, but I live in an island and he lives in the states, so when I went to visit him we went to several banks but they said I had to live there and have a state permit or licence. :|
And I really don't know! I found it randomly on tumblr :(

Rosewynn
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Rosewynn »

Credit for anything I can. I have Amazon rewards and get free money to spend on Amazon. But I am responsible with it and would never buy more than I can pay off i.e. I have never been in debt. For me I don't use it so much for the large credit line; I just see it as a nice way not to have to go to the bank and withdraw cash every week. I don't see the point of using cash or debit when I can't get anything back from it. It's fun to essentially earn free cash for doing nothing extra on my part. I still carry a small amount of cash for places that don't take credit, but luckily those places are becoming fewer and fewer. I do draw the line at not using it for a purchase less than $5 just because; but sometimes I am so tempted.

guestgue

Post by guestgue »

I use debit for just about everything. I honestly hate carrying cash, it just annoys me. I always keep some in my wallet (I think I've had the same twenty in there since before Christmas) just in case I need to buy something from somewhere that doesn't take my card.

I just find it far more convenient. However, I'm also really on top of balancing my card (I use an app called Cashflow since I'm not about to carry around a checkbook registrar) I think if you're going to rely on your debit you need to be good at balancing your money. Since you cant physically see it, if you're not on top of it it's easy to lose track and go in the red.

I also have two credit cards but I'm pretty good about paying on those.

BellaJane
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by BellaJane »

I hate cash. Anytime I have cash I deposit it into my account immediately. That's one of the reasons I hated being a waitress...I was going to the bank every other day depositing my tips. I either use my debit card or my credit card for everything. Mostly a credit card though. I have 3 of them, but I only use one regularly because I get amazing benefits with it. I have very strict limits on all three, none more than $1,000, and I refuse to put in the credit line extension request that I keep getting letters about. Only one of my credit cards even carries a balance month-to-month, and that's only because I used it to bankroll my last Spring Break trip :? Haha but I have a really low APR, so my interest has only been like a maximum of $2 a month. It'll be paid off in a few months. The thought of credit card debt isn't what bothers me...it's my student loan debt that's frightening.

AN0N.
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by AN0N. »

I never carry cash, only my paypal debit card and credit cards.

Usually always use credit cards and pay the full amount every month.

kittykat

Post by kittykat »

I use cash for things that are less than $10 or so. Other that that, I'm usually using a debit card. I buy things online with a credit card. My parents are sticklers about financial responsibility, so I got a credit card when I was able to that I pay off every month because they want me to have good credit. If I don't have the money for it, I just don't buy it. It's way easier to save up for a few months than carry the charge for months gaining close to 20% interest on it all the while.

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

@kittykat: That's how I feel. If you don't have money, save up for it.

justanotherhater

Post by justanotherhater »

I rarely ever carry cash. I always use my debit card. I have a credit card that I never use though. Just every once in a while when I shop online, but that's about it.

mommyoftwogirlsca
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by mommyoftwogirlsca »

Debit all the way I don't have credit cards anymore. I gave them up when I filed personal bankruptcy.

hellotimebomb
Lurker
Lurker

Post by hellotimebomb »

Cash or Debit. Small purchases I make in cash, larger purchases I pay with my debit card. I have a credit card that I only use to keep up a good credit score and never spend more than 30% of my monthly limit. I only use it to pay my netflix account and a few online purchases where I can't use paypal.

If I can't pay for something on the spot, I save up for it first and then buy it For example items like laptops, cameras, TVs, vacations etc. My iPhone 5 I bought off Apple's website and have a non-contract plan. The only exceptions for me personally are a mortgage, car payments (within reason), and student loans.

I'm a major control freak and I'm very anal about my finances! I'm not cheap, infact I love to splurge, but I live within my means and only spend money if I can afford it or I'm willing to go without something else to compensate.

BrunetteBarbie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by BrunetteBarbie »

Debit, I never want to get a credit card, I don't trust myself :/

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

BrunetteBarbie wrote:Debit, I never want to get a credit card, I don't trust myself :/
I don't trust myself either. :/

featherly
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by featherly »

Credit cards for most purchases but for things like food, I use cash. I hate being the only person at the dinner table to be using a card. I monitor my credit card online like a hawk. I'd say I'm pretty good with my money so I'm fine with credit cards. I don't buy anything I know I can't pay for. Plus I need to build up a good credit score if I want my own house in the next few years.

Ireth0
Informer
Informer

Post by Ireth0 »

Debit always, I never have cash on me. My credit card is only used for online purchases or to have bills charged to which I pay off as soon as I see the charge from a fund set aside specifically for bills.

catcherintherye
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by catcherintherye »

Always debit. If I use credit (I have one credit card and two store cards) I pay off the full amount before the due date.

catcherintherye
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by catcherintherye »

Always debit. If I use credit (I have one credit card and two store cards) I pay off the full amount before the due date.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

I normally use my debit card but I try to at least have some cash on me in case of an emergency, even if it's just $5. In case I can't use my card or something comes up. I have a co-signed credit card but only use it when my mom tells me to (like if I'm taking a friend out to dinner and she wants me to treat, she doesn't want me to spend my own money).

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

I have a debit card only but I use the credit option on it, never debit unless I have to. It's safer (you don't have to use your PIN) and faster, and the money comes out of your account the same way it does if you use debit.

I don't like paying with cash mainly because I don't like to carry it around and jingling change just ends up all over the place.

I use the text message service my bank (Chase) provides which is really convenient because you can be anywhere and text them to see how much money you have and they reply right away. I love it.
imma ball til the day i fall

loopyloo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by loopyloo »

I pay for almost everything with my credit card. I pay it off in full every month and there is a loyalty scheme attached to it so I make money from it (I got £69 in vouchers in my last statement). In the UK you also get extra protection if you make large purchases on a credit card. I would never buy something large with cash so there is a paper trail. I have had a credit card since I was 18 and have never done anything stupid with it. I carry around £100 of cash for small purchases and emergencies.

Post by Guest »

I hate carrying change around. I always try to keep a £10 note in my purse for emergencies, but I usually pay by debit card. I never want to own a credit card, too much temptation!

Return to “Finance”