What do you drive?

audrelizabethh
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What do you drive?

Post by audrelizabethh »

allisoonnn wrote:I share a 1988 toyota corolla station wagon with my mom. LOL. Hey, we live in SF, you don't really need a car :-P We didn't even get this car until 2010 & before that, we went 9 years without a car.
...But we are both really itching for new cars (who wouldn't with an oldie like that?) :D
I really want a Honda Civic (2006 or later) but its hard to save that much money while going to college
Haha! I was wondering if I'd see any people who don't prioritize cars so much because they're in the city. Where I live having two or more is necessary

okaay
Informer
Informer

Post by okaay »

Ferrari Spider.

Nah, I wish ^

PyroMakeup
Informer
Informer

Post by PyroMakeup »

Ford Escape

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

I do this magical thing...

It's called taking the bus and walking....

Everyone makes fun of me for it but uh...I get by ya know lol.

allisoonnn
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by allisoonnn »

PyroMakeup wrote:Ford Escape
Great car. I rented one once, loved it! :)

kittykat

Post by kittykat »

allisoonnn wrote:
I've never driven one, but I really like the way these look! I kind of love the light lime green color they made for a while!

inventive
Informer
Informer

Post by inventive »

audrelizabethh wrote:
inventive wrote:Image

Honda civic - I chose that brand new instead of the Audi because I was afraid of being too gaudy for the laid-back area that I live in. My parents paid for it. I loved the inside when I first saw it because it looked very futuristic/like a space ship to me with its lights and I also loved the taillights and boot (trunk). It's perfect because it has so much storage space and it's easy to clean. Its also veryyy fuel economic - I drive 600km (~372 miles) before I need to refuel. I love it but rarely use it these days because I'm obsessed with my "fixie" bike.
You're lucky, my car price range is 4500 USD or less.. I love Audis but your car looks very nice, too
Thank you. My parents paid for it and it wasn't my first car and since they're wealthy I decided to get a good car .

It's always good to start with an older car, it teaches you a lot about the mechanics of a car. I had the same budget as you for my first car :) I'm not sure what Hondas are like in the US but they're really good here and I haven't heard of anyone who speaks badly of them.

SassyChance
Informer
Informer

Post by SassyChance »

kittykat wrote:I have a 2008 Mazda 3. I've had it for almost 5 years now, and it's doing good (knock on wood). I get about 27 mpg, and it's really easy to drive. I really wanted a Jeep Wrangler, but my dad said it's a "death trap" hah!
When I first got my license, I wanted a Jeep so bad. But my mom said the same thing, that they're not safe and they roll over way too easily.

inventive
Informer
Informer

Post by inventive »

loopyloo wrote:Nissan Micra. I love my car. I live in an urban area so it's small enough to park easily and it's cheap to run.
I have a love-hate relationship with this car. They're uncomfortable for long distances and bumpy roads but at the same time, these cars can be parked anywhere and are a lot of fun to drive in the city. It almost feel like you're riding a bike with the ease of its movement in small areas. :)

Post by Guest »

I drive a white 2009 Acura TL. Her name is Alexis. She's not the prettiest thing in the world, but I love her <3

princessvoldemort
Informer
Informer

Post by princessvoldemort »

TaylorKnows wrote:I do this magical thing...

It's called taking the bus and walking....

Everyone makes fun of me for it but uh...I get by ya know lol.
Hey, I use public transport and my own two feet. I live in Milwaukee, so I don't need a car. A bus pass for the Milwaukee County transit is included in the tuition at my college. The transit system gets you pretty much anywhere in Milwaukee county, plus parts of Ozaukee and Waukesha counties. It costs $500 a semester to park at my college. I don't even have my license yet, and I'm almost 20. I'm simply not interested in getting my license any time soon.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

My parents are on my ass about it but honestly I don't mind the bus/begging for rides. I brought up my way getting around the other day and everyone said I was crazy lol.

audrelizabethh
Debater
Debater

Post by audrelizabethh »

inventive wrote:
audrelizabethh wrote:
inventive wrote:Image

Honda civic - I chose that brand new instead of the Audi because I was afraid of being too gaudy for the laid-back area that I live in. My parents paid for it. I loved the inside when I first saw it because it looked very futuristic/like a space ship to me with its lights and I also loved the taillights and boot (trunk). It's perfect because it has so much storage space and it's easy to clean. Its also veryyy fuel economic - I drive 600km (~372 miles) before I need to refuel. I love it but rarely use it these days because I'm obsessed with my "fixie" bike.
You're lucky, my car price range is 4500 USD or less.. I love Audis but your car looks very nice, too
Thank you. My parents paid for it and it wasn't my first car and since they're wealthy I decided to get a good car .

It's always good to start with an older car, it teaches you a lot about the mechanics of a car. I had the same budget as you for my first car :) I'm not sure what Hondas are like in the US but they're really good here and I haven't heard of anyone who speaks badly of them.
Hondas have a good reputation here too! The only bad thing about them is some of the 90s ones are made into total ricers which gives them a bad reputation. I'm not sure if that's a popular term in Australia. If not search ricer on urban dictionary or google images haha.

princessvoldemort
Informer
Informer

Post by princessvoldemort »

TaylorKnows wrote:My parents are on my ass about it but honestly I don't mind the bus/begging for rides. I brought up my way getting around the other day and everyone said I was crazy lol.
In my hometown, most people thought I was crazy for not having my license (Including some older adults). One of the first people not to judge me for it is my band director in 12th grade. Her husband is from Germany, and there you can't get you license until you're at least 18, anyways.

When I do have a kid, I'm not letting him/her get his/her license until he/she is 18. However, he/she can hold a learner's permit at 15 1/2 or if the state's minimum age for a learner's permit is above 15 1/2, then I will let them hold one at the minimum age. I will not force them to.

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

@princessvoldemort: You sound like my parents. I didn't get my license until this past June, and I was almost 20 at the time. They wouldn't let me get my license when I was in high school and early college years. It sucked, they'd leave me stranded at college for hours and get me to class late. My older sister just turned 23 and one of my younger brothers is going to be 19 next month. They both don't have their licenses because our parents wouldn't let them get theirs either. Now my sister is terrified of driving and my brother doesn't care to learn. I hate that I had to wait so long to get one and I hate that my sister is okay with riding the bus and bumming rides. It's not cool at all. It's sad. :/

laurie
Debater
Debater

Post by laurie »

i live in michigan, so no public transport unless you live in detroit, which i don't. almost everyone i know got their license at 16, since it's the only way to get around without asking for rides from friends or parents.

i inherited my uncle's 2000ish pontiac grand prix. it's tiny as hell, the windows need to be cranked to open, and the radio preset buttons don't work. but, great gas mileage since it's so small, and it gets me to and from places. and since it's so small, it can fit into tiny ass parking spaces at the mall. it's good enough and i'm not complaining :)

PyroMakeup
Informer
Informer

Post by PyroMakeup »

allisoonnn wrote:
Yeah mines a 2008, I love it!

audrelizabethh
Debater
Debater

Post by audrelizabethh »

LadyKaiko wrote:@princessvoldemort: You sound like my parents. I didn't get my license until this past June, and I was almost 20 at the time. They wouldn't let me get my license when I was in high school and early college years. It sucked, they'd leave me stranded at college for hours and get me to class late. My older sister just turned 23 and one of my younger brothers is going to be 19 next month. They both don't have their licenses because our parents wouldn't let them get theirs either. Now my sister is terrified of driving and my brother doesn't care to learn. I hate that I had to wait so long to get one and I hate that my sister is okay with riding the bus and bumming rides. It's not cool at all. It's sad. :/
This. I'm late to work, school, events and friends houses because I can't drive myself.

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

@audrelizabeth: Before I got my license and a little while after getting it, I lived in a rural county with my parents. So no bus route so I could get to class or anywhere else. Now I live in the city with my boyfriend so if I didn't have a car I could take a bus to places. But I hope to never be car-less again, and definitely license-less. Getting my license and a car are two of the best things that have happened to me. Now I can go where I want when I want. I love being independent. :D

IceIce
Debater
Debater

Post by IceIce »

My first car was a 1990 Opel Vectra. I got my licence when I was almost 19, I had graduated high school, and I was going to college in a few months. (We start school the year that we turn 7, and graduate high school the year we turn 19.) It had a manual gear shift. In Finland you can't get a drivers licence if you do not know how to drive a car with manual gear shift. It did not have ABS, or any of these electronic things. After a while the engine's rpm meter, which showed me how much the engine was going in a minute, broke down, so I really had to learn to listen to my car to figure out when to change gears. When we got it my dad fixed the engine completely, and when the car finally broke down last fall, the engine was the only thing that would've lasted. :lol: I had this car for 6 years.

When my car died,then I used my boyfriend's 2003 Renault Megane, but he had been planning on selling that, so we'd get rid of two cars, and buy one. We ended up with a 2011 Hyundai i20. It is small enough for us, yet we can still fit two golf bags in the trunk.

We were either going to buy fairly new car, or a 15-year old car or older. If we had bought an old car it would've meant that my dad would have to fix something in it once or twice a year, and my boyfriend didn't feel comfortable in taking my dad's time. Also we decided against a car that was made sometime during 2000-2007 because, they are at that age when they would need bigger work on the engine or some other place, and that would cost a lot. They would also have some electronic stuff in them which would mean my dad couldn't fix the car then because he does not have the equipment for it. So it was either a new car, that would not require any work, or a really old one. We are planning on selling this car in 3 years. We also had a look at how much people ask for the same model now, except 3-4 years older. We were basically trying to figure out how much the cars value would decrease in three years time. That kind of made us choose the car we got.

In Finland you can start driving school when you are 17.5 years old. You can do the driving test plus the written exam only after you have turned 18. High schools don't have driving teaching/programs or anything, driving schools are a business of their own. And we don't have the learner's permit system. It all has to be done in a driving school with a driving instructor. After passing both tests you get your first licence for 2 years, after that you need to complete the second part which is about 3 hours of theory, and 3 hours of driving on a road that is specifically made for this purpose. They either freeze it or pour some kind of oil mixture on it, and then you learn how to drive on an icy/slippery road. The winter conditions in Finland are quite extreme, and most do learn to drive on an icy road before they go do this second phase, but it is still good to learn it again with the driving instructors.

I know this is a super long text, but in addition of answering the topic, I somehow decided to explain the driving school system and all.. :D I congratulate you if you read this far. :D

Return to “Cars”