Prom?

kittykat

Re: Prom?

Post by kittykat »

guestgue wrote: At least I didn't have pig's blood poured on me. Am I right, or am I right?
Word.

whereicomefrom
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by whereicomefrom »

Here in Israel we only have senior proms and they aren't a huge deal. Only crazy girls went out and got their hair and make up done, and everyone takes a bus from the school to the venue together (which is super fun, especially the ride home!)
I got my dress a few months beforehand for a totally different thing but I also wore it to prom - and it was from h&m. i got shoes for about $30 and the tickets were $40 (which included the venue which was pretty nice, the bus rides, food, drinks, photographer, everything! i thought it was a pretty sweet deal) i did my own hair and makeup, and went with my best male friend. dates were not a huge thing however, no-one got "asked" out to my knowledge. people just decided to go together. before we left for school, a bunch of my friends came over for pictures, so i guess we all went as a group anyhow. it was a great evening!

helloparis
Informer
Informer

Post by helloparis »

Hmm. Part of me really wants to go to my senior prom this year, but also there's a part of me that doesn't like really dances at all and I just find myself so uncomfortable in the "party" atmosphere.

I just really want to experience prom because it only happens once in your life and I love getting dressed-up! (I mean, you can get married as many times as you want and have as many weddings as you want, but you'll only be in high school once, right?) However, most of my friends HATE dressing-up, don't wear make-up, dislikes shopping for dresses, ect and when I asked them if they are going to prom with me, they were hesitant about going. I don't know at this point, but I hope all of my friends can come to prom with me because they don't have to spend a fortune to look nice!

However, I'm kind of scared of going to prom at the same time because I have no idea what to expect there. Also, I've heard of those notorious afterparties where everyone basically gets drunk and hooks up with one another, which I find very unappealing. (If I'm going to have an afterparty with my friends, it is most definitely not gonna be like that!)

Blueberry
Informer
Informer

Post by Blueberry »

I went to my senior prom. It was nothing great, in fact, I thought it'd be a lot more exciting. I went with a date but we met up with a group at prom. I wish I had gone with just my best friends though...and the sucky part was I had the WORST cramps that night! I basically just sat at the table the whole time.

As far as money goes, my date paid for my ticket, my dress costed about ...hmm not sure (can't remember, it was in 09), I know it was on sale though at David's Bridal. My aunt did my makeup and her friend did my hair, Walmart did my nails (I was so worried about this but they did an AMAZING job) lol.

princessvoldemort
Informer
Informer

Post by princessvoldemort »

I didn't go in 11th grade because of my allergies, but in 12th grade, I did. A few weeks before, I bought a short and cute $42 dress from Deb at The Mall of America. I wore flats that I already had, because I can't wear heels. On the day of prom, I had State Solo and Ensamble at 8 AM (We left at 7, because it was an hour away). When I got home, I took a nap. After my nap, I did my own hair and makeup and got dressed. My mom's partner made me spaghetti with marinara sauce and lobster, which was delicious. I went stag and I felt empowered and most of all, had fun. If I had a date, I probably wouldn't have as much fun. I didn't do anything super fancy, so I spent a lot less than most people. I re-wore my prom dress at my spring band concert and at graduation and I got compliments from my band director.

Christine
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Christine »

My senior prom was in 2011, and I did go. I didn't have a date, so I went with my two best friends and we had a great time. In all of high school I went to four proms, five homecomings, and two winter balls, so I was pretty familiar with school dances. I definitely loved having a date, but going with friends is always fun. Both dresses that I bought for prom were about 200-300 dollars each. I did my hair and makeup for all of them except one prom I went to (my best friend in California invited me and his mom paid for my hair and makeup). Junior year was the only year we got a limo, and we all paid $25 (there was six of us) and my friend's grandparents paid the rest... I think it was around 200 dollars entirely for the limo. In my experience, the most fun I ever had in high school involved school dances, and I always went with small groups. I definitely recommend you go, but if you don't feel comfortable, it's not the end of the world if you stay home instead. : )

red_nails7
Learner
Learner

Post by red_nails7 »

this may sound really stupid but how is prom in the us? I mean of course I've seen it in movies but yeah ... =/
I mean who is allowed to go/who goes? and do you really spent 80$ on the ticket?? :O
who organises it? where does it take place and how long? and what do you do all evening?? :)
I'm sorry but I have really no idea about all these things and I'd really like to know :)

where I live we also have something like a prom but I have a feeling that it's completly different ...
sorry for my bad english, I'm still learning :)

laurie
Debater
Debater

Post by laurie »

red_nails7 wrote:this may sound really stupid but how is prom in the us? I mean of course I've seen it in movies but yeah ... =/
I mean who is allowed to go/who goes? and do you really spent 80$ on the ticket?? :O
who organises it? where does it take place and how long? and what do you do all evening?? :)
I'm sorry but I have really no idea about all these things and I'd really like to know :)

where I live we also have something like a prom but I have a feeling that it's completly different ...
my prom was in 2009, but i think these things are about the same, at least in my area.

1. my school's prom ticket was $60 a student, which includes dinner. in most cases, the guy buys his date's ticket, so it'd be $120 for tickets for him. but, guys usually only have to rent a tux, whereas girls get the fancy dress, nails, hair, and/or makeup done (i borrowed my dress from an older friend and looked up youtube gurus for hair and makeup, so i didn't have to pay much for that. i went to a salon to get my nails done, but that was fun :P)

2. the high school organizes it for the seniors. sometimes, smaller schools include juniors too

3. schools in my area have their proms at a fancier venue to make it special, i guess. mine was at a golf club because i had a large senior class (400+ students), but my friend went to a private school with about 50 seniors, so they had theirs on a yacht.

4. we eat dinner, take pictures with each other since it's like the last big social event before graduating and everyone is all dressed up. then we dance to very bad, loud pop music!

my prom was actually kinda ok, in retrospect, though it seems ridiculous that everyone stressed so much about it. :toad:

princessvoldemort
Informer
Informer

Post by princessvoldemort »

red_nails7 wrote:this may sound really stupid but how is prom in the us? I mean of course I've seen it in movies but yeah ... =/

This was my high school last year:
1. Tickets were $10 a person. We don't have dinner included.
2. It was the Juniors' prom (The Juniors organized it and were on court), but Seniors' were allowed to go. Also, guests of Juniors' and Seniors' were allowed to go.
3. It was held in my high school's commons area, so that's why the prices were low.
4. Pictures are optional.
5. My school also sponsors post prom, open to all high school students. Last year, the post prom participants went to a local bowling alley and were locked in. My high school started a school-sponsored post prom event back in 2009. My French teacher is a strong proponent of it, because to her, if the school didn't have post prom, then a lot of students would get drunk, stoned, pregnant, or get someone pregnant.

red_nails7
Learner
Learner

Post by red_nails7 »

okay thank you :)
sorry for my bad english, I'm still learning :)

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

I'm going with my friends. But my friend just texted me a picture of the dress she wants. She's not skinny which is fine but she's picked a dress that's not going to flatter her at all. It's for a girl that's not so curvy. I don't know how to tell her that it's not going to look good on her at all.

Return to “Prom”