Costuber/Costuming Community - Part 4

stormpie
Informer
Informer

Re: Costuber/Costuming Community - Part 4

Post by stormpie »

LadyViorica wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:50 am
I'd like to see more seventeenth century stuff, myself. The only costuber I can think of who's done anything in that era is Lizcapism with her Ella Enchanted dress. One of the FR competitors also did a really gorgeous 1600s-inspired dress based on House of the Seven Gables: https://members.foundationsrevealed.com ... ady-alice/ There was a lot of interesting transitional stuff going on in that century, between the slimmer Tudor silhouette and the wide skirts of the 1700s.
I think Elin Abrahamsson is doing a 1600's swedish working class outfit at the moment

puffystarrr
Talker
Talker

Post by puffystarrr »

geewillikers4444 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:50 pm
I’m gonna get a bit sassy here:

What I don’t like is “almost exact” copycat videos from small Costubers based off their Main Inspo.

I know you all had a lovely little chat with V Birchwood and everyone suddenly changed their tune about how nice she is and good luck on your future endeavours… but I don’t see the point if originality isn’t at the crux of the channel??

and now I’m seeing you all post and fawn over Daisy Viktoria and her Lisa Frank drindle which is clearly same same but different to Morgan’s Lisa Frank 16th century dress!!

Like??? What compels someone to be so desperate to make conscious choices of using the exact same fonts, ideas or make similar thumbnails of their idols???

As a video consumer - I want originality!!! I’m so tired of these wanna-BBs - it seems a few prop up every now and then with a video of making a god damn period white shirt.

Sure, seeing someone do something can inspire you to want to do it - but I feel like BB (subconsciously) inspires literal lifestyle copy cats and it grinds my gears.

Anyone else noticed this? I’d like to see more examples of “small Costuber doing something very similar to what a big Costuber has done”
8-)
Yep, they all have the same thumbnail with the same fonts, the same way to speak, etc. I wonder how long it will take for them to realize they will never reach 1m followers aswell unless they start buying followers or pay to get their videos picked up by the algorithm. :D

herewego2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by herewego2 »

puffystarrr wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:20 am
geewillikers4444 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:50 pm
I’m gonna get a bit sassy here:

What I don’t like is “almost exact” copycat videos from small Costubers based off their Main Inspo.

I know you all had a lovely little chat with V Birchwood and everyone suddenly changed their tune about how nice she is and good luck on your future endeavours… but I don’t see the point if originality isn’t at the crux of the channel??

and now I’m seeing you all post and fawn over Daisy Viktoria and her Lisa Frank drindle which is clearly same same but different to Morgan’s Lisa Frank 16th century dress!!

Like??? What compels someone to be so desperate to make conscious choices of using the exact same fonts, ideas or make similar thumbnails of their idols???

As a video consumer - I want originality!!! I’m so tired of these wanna-BBs - it seems a few prop up every now and then with a video of making a god damn period white shirt.

Sure, seeing someone do something can inspire you to want to do it - but I feel like BB (subconsciously) inspires literal lifestyle copy cats and it grinds my gears.

Anyone else noticed this? I’d like to see more examples of “small Costuber doing something very similar to what a big Costuber has done”
8-)
Yep, they all have the same thumbnail with the same fonts, the same way to speak, etc. I wonder how long it will take for them to realize they will never reach 1m followers aswell unless they start buying followers or pay to get their videos picked up by the algorithm. :D
I can't say I blame them for the thumbnails. People gravitate towards what is familiar. If a thumbnail style has really worked for one person, it makes sense that others would try to emulate it. It's gets repetitive, but it's like a book cover. They just need to tempt someone to click on it. I prefer that style to the big overreacting faces in other niches.

stormpie
Informer
Informer

Post by stormpie »

Foundations revealed competition is now up.

wonder how much of a clusterf it will be this time, though they do seem to have done everything they can to fix the issues of last time, still doesn't sound like they have diversified by the thing that counts the most - sewing type, historical, cosplay, technical etc.

popmypopcorn
Informer
Informer

Post by popmypopcorn »

stormpie wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:29 am
Foundations revealed competition is now up.

wonder how much of a clusterf it will be this time, though they do seem to have done everything they can to fix the issues of last time, still doesn't sound like they have diversified by the thing that counts the most - sewing type, historical, cosplay, technical etc.
But at least our racial identity problem is solved: we are "panels" from now on :roll:

I like the 5. Artisan entry, as if it's reserved for BB and the cool kids! We're not worthy :rofl:

popmypopcorn
Informer
Informer

Post by popmypopcorn »

And AC puts fangirling over Dangerous liaisons on a new level, also costuber cinematography.

Fraulein-Ciano
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Fraulein-Ciano »

popmypopcorn wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:31 am
And AC puts fangirling over Dangerous liaisons on a new level, also costuber cinematography.

I had such a hard time even following what she was trying to say most of the video. So hectic! I normally don't have a problem with AC's vids, but this was like dialed up to 1,000.

Also, was that "faffing about" segment a shout out to this board? I searched the term and it only comes up only in BB's thread. But, that seemed like bitterness directed towards someone making comments, for sure.

MillicentF
Learner
Learner

Post by MillicentF »

Do we actually know why did MorganD cut her hair so much? I watched her video on hairstyles through time, but still I don't think just a video justifies cutting ones hair so drastically. I mean, of course, everyone can do with their hair whatever they want ;), just it's such a huge difference to go from hair as long as hers to this GIJane-style, that I wonder, if there was something more behind her decision. Especially that at first I thought she looks and is cool about it... But now in every video she sooner or later puts a scarf, hat, cap or whatever to cover her head (sometimes more than once per video), even when she's on her own, sewing in her cosy little sewing room. That makes me feel perhaps she's not as comfortable with her new image and with herself as I thought...

SnarkySnax
Informer
Informer

Post by SnarkySnax »

MillicentF wrote:Do we actually know why did MorganD cut her hair so much? I watched her video on hairstyles through time, but still I don't think just a video justifies cutting ones hair so drastically. I mean, of course, everyone can do with their hair whatever they want ;), just it's such a huge difference to go from hair as long as hers to this GIJane-style, that I wonder, if there was something more behind her decision. Especially that at first I thought she looks and is cool about it... But now in every video she sooner or later puts a scarf, hat, cap or whatever to cover her head (sometimes more than once per video), even when she's on her own, sewing in her cosy little sewing room. That makes me feel perhaps she's not as comfortable with her new image and with herself as I thought...
Someone said that she was a grow it all out and chop it off kind of a person, or maybe she was just sick of it and wanted to do something completely different. There was the added bonus of getting to play around with different styles as she cut it, which was fun to see. As far as the hats/scarves, she recently moved to a much colder climate than where she was before and maybe it’s just to keep warm now that it’s winter.

Julienne
Debater
Debater

Post by Julienne »

MillicentF wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:02 am
Do we actually know why did MorganD cut her hair so much? I watched her video on hairstyles through time, but still I don't think just a video justifies cutting ones hair so drastically. I mean, of course, everyone can do with their hair whatever they want ;), just it's such a huge difference to go from hair as long as hers to this GIJane-style, that I wonder, if there was something more behind her decision. Especially that at first I thought she looks and is cool about it... But now in every video she sooner or later puts a scarf, hat, cap or whatever to cover her head (sometimes more than once per video), even when she's on her own, sewing in her cosy little sewing room. That makes me feel perhaps she's not as comfortable with her new image and with herself as I thought...
She needed some money fast? Her only videos over a million views were hair related when she made that video. Judging how unhappy she appears to be with her new hair and how happy she was to show off her long hair, it's either that or health related. So I hope for her that she just needed some quick cash.

andipales
Debater
Debater

Post by andipales »

Fraulein-Ciano wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:36 am

Also, was that "faffing about" segment a shout out to this board? I searched the term and it only comes up only in BB's thread. But, that seemed like bitterness directed towards someone making comments, for sure.
This is a very common phrase in England (possibly other parts of the UK too), it means to waste time on an ineffectual activity, something pointless. Abby would certainly have heard this phrase living in the UK, I doubt it's is a reference to this place.

Fraulein-Ciano
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Fraulein-Ciano »

andipales wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:27 am
Fraulein-Ciano wrote:

This is a very common phrase in England (possibly other parts of the UK too), it means to waste time on an ineffectual activity, something pointless. Abby would certainly have heard this phrase living in the UK, I doubt it's is a reference to this place.
I guess it was more the"...As a few of you like to point out *wink*" that she added that had me thinking it was a dig towards comments here, since I don't really see people on her YT comments giving her crits like that. Especially since BrBar has pushed more eyes over here. *shrug*

Justagoat
Informer
Informer

Post by Justagoat »

popmypopcorn wrote:

Well, that was a lot. Too much for me, I had to fast forward through much of it. I have friends who met her at costume college and they said she was nothing like this irl, so why is she like this in videos? Does she think no one will watch unless she's cranked up to 11? It's so distracting.

As for Morgan, I hope I'm wrong but I have to wonder if there aren't health issues related to the haircut...she doesn't seem particularly happy with it.

MillicentF
Learner
Learner

Post by MillicentF »

Justagoat wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:21 pm

As for Morgan, I hope I'm wrong but I have to wonder if there aren't health issues related to the haircut...she doesn't seem particularly happy with it.
Yeah, that was my thinking too... That she doesn't feel happy and/or secure about it. The scarfs, hats, caps, wigs... I really hope she's OK and it was some other reason behind the haircut. I also hoped maybe someone has some more info. She's one of those Costubers I like the most: creative, honest, with well structured both the garments and the videos. It would be heartbreaking to see her suffer. Such drastic and sudden changes (the haircut, the move across the country) make me wonder though.

popmypopcorn
Informer
Informer

Post by popmypopcorn »

Justagoat wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:21 pm
popmypopcorn wrote:

Well, that was a lot. Too much for me, I had to fast forward through much of it. I have friends who met her at costume college and they said she was nothing like this irl, so why is she like this in videos? Does she think no one will watch unless she's cranked up to 11? It's so distracting.

In regard of AC: I noticed that, too. Whenever she has to post-edit her vlog, and she's in "future Abbey" mode, she's calm, restrained and her voice is so smooth! Why can't she be like that all along? This hyperactive vlogger character is annoying and irritating to watch. I could only go as far as the #aesthetictrash intro. Calm TF down, Abbey.

MillicentF
Learner
Learner

Post by MillicentF »

popmypopcorn wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:39 pm
Whenever she has to post-edit her vlog, and she's in "future Abbey" mode, she's calm, restrained and her voice is so smooth! Why can't she be like that all along?
Now that you put it like this, I also notice this pattern. And it got me thinking... Perhaps that's it - perhaps she can't. This pattern, and also the changes between some of her videos and back (some being over-hiper, some definitely calm), the anxiety attack (after her video went viral) she was opened about etc... It starts resembling (to me) a sort of bipolar disorder.

LadyViorica
Informer
Informer

Post by LadyViorica »

It really doesn't. I've never heard of bipolar disorder that acts up only when someone is filming.

MillicentF
Learner
Learner

Post by MillicentF »

And if she's filming mostly in the "mania" phase? People with it usually have a need of being the center of attention, putting themselves out there, being in the spotlight etc. (for example starring in a film/play) during the manic phase, not only just be more active in general.

Julienne
Debater
Debater

Post by Julienne »

popmypopcorn wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:39 pm
In regard of AC: I noticed that, too. Whenever she has to post-edit her vlog, and she's in "future Abbey" mode, she's calm, restrained and her voice is so smooth! Why can't she be like that all along? This hyperactive vlogger character is annoying and irritating to watch. I could only go as far as the #aesthetictrash intro. Calm TF down, Abbey.

She already did this with her AD material, and I can't imagine they could time those to Abby's hypothetical manic phases so it's not a persona she invented for YouTube or BPD. But since she leans hard into it when she needs to.sell something, it's obvious that she thinks this is more appealing than her regular self.

I think it's obnoxious and obviously fake but she has enough subs to prove her point.

NastySkankBitch
Learner
Learner

Post by NastySkankBitch »

Fraulein-Ciano wrote:
popmypopcorn wrote:

I had such a hard time even following what she was trying to say most of the video. So hectic! I normally don't have a problem with AC's vids, but this was like dialed up to 1,000.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one, it was so hard to follow! Honestly, out of all the costubers out there, AC frustrates me the most. She has the fashion history knowledge and is a decent sewist and her videos could be so good and informative, but she insists on watering the message down with her over-the-top antics. I really wish she hired an external editor.

Return to “Costubers”