Amy Loves Makeup

smartypants80
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Amy Loves Makeup

Post by smartypants80 »

I've searched this entire forum and haven't found a dedicated post yet. I don't dislike her at all, she seems very sweet but she talks so fast and always sounds like she's been crying.

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Re: Amy Loves Makeup

Post by WORDSALAD »

Oof you dare to start a thread about the undisputed 'sweetheart' of the small beauty creator communnitteeeee?

Nice one. Never liked her either.

Mainly because she reminds me of Dawn from Buffy The Vampire Slayer - the most annoying character in TV history.
In my future dystopia your history of stanning one of these creatures will be put on your permanent record, so potential employers can judge accordingly on basis of intelligence.

lizdutchess
Lurker
Lurker
Been thanked: 0

Post by lizdutchess »

I am new to indie makeup so I have been following smaller channels that review indie stuff. I haven't watched many of her vids but I feel like she gives everything a positive review so it's hard for me to take her opinion seriously.

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

lizdutchess wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:54 am
I am new to indie makeup so I have been following smaller channels that review indie stuff. I haven't watched many of her vids but I feel like she gives everything a positive review so it's hard for me to take her opinion seriously.
Yes. Basically

This is my ACTUAL beef with her when I'm not being #petty

There's little critical thinking going on. Maybe she is a genuine sweetheart who doesn't want to offend, I dunno, but when I used to watch her it was like she never met an indie product she didn't like. So her channel was of no use to me. She used to do nice makeup looks though.
In my future dystopia your history of stanning one of these creatures will be put on your permanent record, so potential employers can judge accordingly on basis of intelligence.

C2479Fred
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by C2479Fred »

I agree with the above. I also feel like anyone hanging around in close connection to Angelica nyqvist who is salty AF, always trying to climb onto PR lists and has a nasty attitude all round, cant be that much of a sweetheart.

Secondly glamlite gets onto your top indie faves list with their basic formula and clionadh cosmetics who have an huge array of unique varied formulas and products did not? I feel like these rising smaller influencers will literally say any brand is their new fave as long as their freshly sending them PR.

lizdutchess
Lurker
Lurker

Post by lizdutchess »

C2479Fred wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:06 am
I agree with the above. I also feel like anyone hanging around in close connection to Angelica nyqvist who is salty AF, always trying to climb onto PR lists and has a nasty attitude all round, cant be that much of a sweetheart.

Secondly glamlite gets onto your top indie faves list with their basic formula and clionadh cosmetics who have an huge array of unique varied formulas and products did not? I feel like these rising smaller influencers will literally say any brand is their new fave as long as their freshly sending them PR.
Yes I agree 100% with this!! I have never tried GlamLite but when she said the Cake palette was her best palette of 2020 I was like Really?? lol. No offense to anybody who likes them but they just look basic af to me.

smartypants80
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by smartypants80 »

She is always "how are you guys doing I'm sooo excited to be doing this video......"

yellllow
Learner
Learner

Post by yellllow »

I do quite like her, she used to be my fave YouTuber at one point and I watched everything religously. Recently, I've been turned off by her not acknowledging how unethical these indie small "cruelty-free" brands she loves shouting out can be. I mean, there's more to CF than just some private label reseller saying that they haven't personally tested on animals. I know small brands is her thing, but the way she blindly trusts those is kind of getting to me. I do believe she doesn't want to crush anyone by giving their products a negative review but that doesn't mean she shouldnt be more critical + actually acknowledge that not every new small brand is someone's passion project but it could also be a more of a cashgrab.

Glamlite is super sketchy to me because I could not find any ingredients on their website. They're probably made in China too, so no info on working conditions. And it's not the only time she has promoted dumb "indie" brands that do not list their INCI on their website. I dont know if it's just me, but I find that unacceptable.

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by WORDSALAD »

yellllow wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:58 pm
I do quite like her, she used to be my fave YouTuber at one point and I watched everything religously. Recently, I've been turned off by her not acknowledging how unethical these indie small "cruelty-free" brands she loves shouting out can be. I mean, there's more to CF than just some private label reseller saying that they haven't personally tested on animals. I know small brands is her thing, but the way she blindly trusts those is kind of getting to me. I do believe she doesn't want to crush anyone by giving their products a negative review but that doesn't mean she shouldnt be more critical + actually acknowledge that not every new small brand is someone's passion project but it could also be a more of a cashgrab.

Glamlite is super sketchy to me because I could not find any ingredients on their website. They're probably made in China too, so no info on working conditions. And it's not the only time she has promoted dumb "indie" brands that do not list their INCI on their website. I dont know if it's just me, but I find that unacceptable.
This is what pisses me off most about (some) indie brands. A lot of it is made in China, yet you are are charged premium prices. Nothing wrong with made in China but I can get that from the drugstore. And be charged accordingly.

Kuutar
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Kuutar »

I used to follow her videos for a while because I really like the looks she makes. But I just cannot watch her anymore because of her vocal fry. I can't hear anything but the cracking and creaking of her voice.

panda_protector
Lurker
Lurker

Post by panda_protector »

For such a "nice" person I don't know how she isn't ashamed of herself. Single mother living in her parents' basement clearly mooching while she spends thousands on makeup to show off on youtube. Her cOlLeCtIoN is obscene and at least 90% of it was purchased (by her parents) and not PR. Someone mentioned she loves everything so her opinions are kind of worthless. Well it's probably because she didn't pay for any of it herself. Just like when youtubers "review" products they got in PR, it's harder to be critical of something you didn't have to work for.

She does SEEM nice, and maybe she is? It just strikes me as very selfish to buy so much useless crap when you clearly don't have your sh*t together AND have a child, even if your parents are willing to pay for it all. For that reason I find her offputting.

soul reaper
Informer
Informer

Post by soul reaper »

panda_protector wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:27 pm
She does SEEM nice, and maybe she is? It just strikes me as very selfish to buy so much useless crap when you clearly don't have your sh*t together AND have a child, even if your parents are willing to pay for it all. For that reason I find her offputting.
Does she have a job/did she before the pandemic? Does anybody know?

yellllow
Learner
Learner

Post by yellllow »

soul reaper wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:54 am
Does she have a job/did she before the pandemic? Does anybody know?
Yeah, she did have a job before the pandemic, I don't know about now though.
panda_protector wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:27 pm
For such a "nice" person I don't know how she isn't ashamed of herself. Single mother living in her parents' basement clearly mooching while she spends thousands on makeup to show off on youtube. Her cOlLeCtIoN is obscene and at least 90% of it was purchased (by her parents) and not PR. Someone mentioned she loves everything so her opinions are kind of worthless. Well it's probably because she didn't pay for any of it herself. Just like when youtubers "review" products they got in PR, it's harder to be critical of something you didn't have to work for.
She hasn't been living in her parents' basement for quite some time though, she lived with her sister for a while, and now has a place of her own.
Also I do believe she had mentioned in the past that she did help her parents with bills, and the convenience was just not having to pay rent (I don't want to judge her about that bc she probably lost a lot of money getting out of an abusive relationship. And I doubt money was the only negative thing she experienced then, it's probably nice that she could go back to her parents)
I agree that her reviews are not the best though, she's mildly critical of some products at best. I do still watch, because I find her pleasant, but not for reviews, if I like something she shows, I'd research a lot more before buying lol

padelica
Learner
Learner

Post by padelica »

I found Amy while looking for Wayne Goss lipsticks reviews, and she absolutely destroyed those! She gave them the worst review I could find on YouTube. I even thought she was a bitch for that.
Then I saw some of her earlier videos, she said she saved herself from an abusive marriage, which explains why she lived with her parents for a while (many women keep suffering violence because they have nowhere to go, so mum and dad are just a fine option in that case).
However, there's the question of that failed collab she spoke about.
What actually happened? Does anybody know?

coffeeglitter
Learner
Learner

Post by coffeeglitter »

her voice just irritates TF outta me. She seems "sweet" but in an almost annoying "naive" way that gets old quick.
she a "badtothebrow" both need to SLOW DOWN their speech because it's jumbled, and fast like a HS teenager.

He's voice sounds like she needs to clear her throat so badly!! Also she isn't innovative or even remotely good with makeup...
All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring.

꧁Chuck Palahniuk꧂

Angel0925
Talker
Talker

Post by Angel0925 »

padelica wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:47 pm
I found Amy while looking for Wayne Goss lipsticks reviews, and she absolutely destroyed those! She gave them the worst review I could find on YouTube. I even thought she was a bitch for that.
Then I saw some of her earlier videos, she said she saved herself from an abusive marriage, which explains why she lived with her parents for a while (many women keep suffering violence because they have nowhere to go, so mum and dad are just a fine option in that case).
However, there's the question of that failed collab she spoke about.
What actually happened? Does anybody know?
Don't quote me on this, but I think what happened was that after the initial launch the brand owner dismantled the palette Amy created and started to sell all the shades as singles.. effectively cutting Amy out of the profits bc her contract was only for the palettes that were sold. Also, I think the owner also took her sweet ass time in paying Amy and even tried to pay her less than what was agreed upon. At least that was what it seemed like when I pieced everything together from what different people had said about it. Then with Amy's video "addressing" the drama (without directly addressing anything at all) she kept harping on contracts and how every creator needs to be super diligent and read over everything and advocate for themselves to get a decent contract and get paid what they're owed.

As far as her ex-husband.. IIRC, he was military and they moved away from everyone they knew. Then he became super controlling and isolated her more and more. She was abused before and after she gave birth. Not sure about during... but if not physically, then I'm sure she was still abused mentally/emotionally/financially during the pregnancy. People like that don't just stop everything cold turkey. When she finally escaped she went to live with her parents where she worked and helped out with bills and even with some stuff that had to do with her sister, who is younger than her. Not sure if she currently works outside of YouTube, but she does have her own place. I don't mind Amy.. as a matter of fact I bet if I knew her irl I'd probably want to be her friend. She seems kind hearted.

Thing is.. I just find her videos incredibly boring. She does decent swatches, I guess. And I've seen her trash a Natasha Denona palette, which is welcomed.. considering everyone on YouTube wants to suck her ass. But I rarely ever watch Amy anymore and only went through a 2 or 3 week period a couple years ago where I watched a bunch of her videos, so idk how she talks about most of the indie brands she reviews. I know she used to love Devina shadows, that's about it.

Return to “A-E”