Grace Full of Sh*t UK: Lie, Dress-Code Defy and Blame Shopify - Part 8

shite+++
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Grace Full of Sh*t UK: Lie, Dress-Code Defy and Blame Shopify - Part 8

Post by shite+++ »

right bit of a weird question but does anyone know of any leggings that are v. similar to the tala leggings?
but like obviously of good quality so they don't rip as soon as I dare open my legs

I like how thick, hardish and dull the fabric is. So any similar options around?

I refuse to line her pockets again by buying poor quality clothes and I bought them long before she showed that her idea of a sustainable company was churning out new products every 4 seconds

yoyosupker
Talker
Talker

Post by yoyosupker »

shite+++ wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:32 am
right bit of a weird question but does anyone know of any leggings that are v. similar to the tala leggings?
but like obviously of good quality so they don't rip as soon as I dare open my legs

I like how thick, hardish and dull the fabric is. So any similar options around?

I refuse to line her pockets again by buying poor quality clothes and I bought them long before she showed that her idea of a sustainable company was churning out new products every 4 seconds
There’s a brand called ‘Girlfriend’ which are exactly the same, very basic sustainable activewear. Tbf, pretty sure she just copied them!

PizzaAndCats
Talker
Talker

Post by PizzaAndCats »

shite+++ wrote:right bit of a weird question but does anyone know of any leggings that are v. similar to the tala leggings?

I like Queenie Ke leggings, they’re on amazon! Really good quality, nice and thick but breathable Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spid
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Spid »

Has she actually showed a picture or video of her working out? She's put pictures of weights on mornings to imply she's at it but I've never seen her body in them.

Post by Guest »

shite+++ wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:32 am

Lol me too! I got a pair of lazuli label recently and they look similar to Tala. Thick material, high waisted and great compression. Shapes you like a dream too without the weird bum contour.

If anyone knows of anything similar to tala zip up tops, let me know pleaseeee

qaz+1
Lurker
Lurker

Post by qaz+1 »

Why does someone promoting and profiting from sustainability need such a big dressing room...

dietgossip
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by dietgossip »

Spid wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:36 pm
Has she actually showed a picture or video of her working out? She's put pictures of weights on mornings to imply she's at it but I've never seen her body in them.
If she did she'd have to admit that she doesn't follow her own programmes. Also I saw someone else on a different thread say that it's so obvious that fitness influencers know they can't make money from posting their workouts on instagram so they just end up not posting anything.

shishtarsalma
Informer
Informer

Post by shishtarsalma »

well that was relatively recent
E2CCD84B-0457-456B-B0BB-FFF69187F403.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dietgossip
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by dietgossip »

shishtarsalma wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:03 am
well that was relatively recentE2CCD84B-0457-456B-B0BB-FFF69187F403.png
Wtf why did she even private that one?

Sherlockhoes
Debater
Debater

Post by Sherlockhoes »

dietgossip wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:11 am
shishtarsalma wrote:
So people have to buy her app. Why would she give away anything for free these day’s. She’s a money grabber

Names_Ames
Learner
Learner

Post by Names_Ames »

dietgossip wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:11 am
shishtarsalma wrote:
Maybe she started a weight loss thing but gave up, so she deleted the video so no one knew she even started!

nomaddie
Debater
Debater

Post by nomaddie »

Her content sucks so much now idk why anyone would follow her

HaveSomeMilk
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by HaveSomeMilk »

more colours being released? does it ever end

Welshgal97
Learner
Learner

Post by Welshgal97 »

Anyone seen the news article about her she’s bitching about on Twitter? I can’t read the whole thing because it’s pay to read but the comments section is entertaining

Studytuber
Talker
Talker

Post by Studytuber »

Thanks Welshgal97 for telling us,

Studytuber
Talker
Talker

Post by Studytuber »

Forget the paywall everybody...

If one of Grace Beverley’s 10 employees breaks up with their partner and doesn't feel chipper enough to come into work, they’re welcome to stay home and rest up. If they have a dog, every day is Take Your Pet to Work Day, and they can sleep soundly at night knowing that the business they work for takes every effort to be “sustainable, ethical, inclusive, diverse and at a good price point”.

This is business Gen Z-style, as championed by Grace Beverley who, at the tender age of 22, already has three companies under her portfolio which last year had an 8 million pound turnover, with last month marking her first “one million month”.

Generation Z is a term used to describe people born in the mid to late-Nineties. Like the Millennials who came before them, this lot are social media savvy but unlike some depictions of the Millennials, they are ready to work.

Grace herself is not just a business owner but a social media influencer. Savvy self-marketing has turned her into a minor celebrity among the under-25s, with a million people following her on Instagram – two and a half times as many as Boris Johnson. These fans are ready to cheer on her personal updates and, crucially, to buy any product she creates and pushes out to them. She’s founded B_ND, which makes exercise equipment, Shreddy, a fitness app that has gym routines and recipes, and Tala, which makes gymwear out of recycled plastic and factory offcuts.

When we meet for an hour-long interview, Grace sounds a little nervous as she lists off her business successes, fiddling with long false nails patterned to look like rose quartz. But, in keeping with her selfie-centred Instagram career, when the camera comes out she immediately springs to life; tilting her head to catch her best side, and suggesting to the photographer what lighting might work.

View this post on Instagram

nah this collection is too much im not selling any of it I want it all 👹 @wearetala alsoooo WE NOW HAVE KLARNA! so now you can pay in 30 days or in 3 payments 🥰 how’s that for a christmas miracle 🌱 [wearing our new luna leggings (m) & mali reflective pacer jacket (s) with the ixia zip up bra beneath 🤤] all launching this Friday at 7pm GMT 🤪

A post shared by grace(@gracebeverley) on Dec 4, 2019 at 12:55pm PST

Grace is one of the first CEOs of Generation Z, and her fitness businesses hint at how this eco-conscious cohort might run the workplaces of the future.

“One thing I've always been really clear about is I wanted it to be like a really friendly workplace”, she says.“We have mental health days in our contracts...You don't need to give notice if in the morning you wake up and you just think, ‘No, today's not the day’, whether you've been through a breakup or you have bad mental health.”

We meet at the co-working space from which she runs Tala: there’s a gym, roof garden and bar. Grace’s chestnut brown cockapoo Ziggy runs around our feet as we talk.

“We are kind of ploughing through the industry, which is really exciting”, she says of her success so far.

Grace’s career began when she was still a teenager at St Paul’s Girls’ School in London. “I wanted to get into fitness, so I just started an Instagram to share my fitness journey. It wasn't an expertise thing at that stage at all.”

Grace Beverley | A day in the life of a Gen Z CEO

She kept posting while studying for a music degree at St Peter’s College, Oxford, where she had a choral scholarship. She quickly built a large audience, getting hundreds of thousands of followers while still studying: “I think what people especially liked about my journey was the fact that it was like, ‘Here I am at uni writing another essay’.”

In her second year she realised this could be monetised, and launched the fitness equipment business. She toyed with the idea of making it her full-time job after graduation. But even after the successful launch of two of her companies, she felt “imposter syndrome” and was trying to push herself to do a “normal” job like her friends.

“I got a place at Marshall Business School [at the University of Southern California]. I essentially was like, I need to do this before I am a proper business person. And then I realised, ‘I have got three businesses, they actually do really well…’ There's no point applying to grad jobs because you feel like that's what you should be doing.”

Less than half of the adults in the Gen Z age group believe business has a positive impact on society, according to a survey by Deloitte. Grace herself is ambivalent about her role as a profit-maker: she wants her businesses to succeed, but only on strict ethical terms.

The first sales of Tala products were delayed until she could make sure all her values could be upheld: she tells me the clothes are made of 92 percent recycled fabric (a mix of discarded plastic and fabric scraps destined for landfill) in ethically-run factories in Portugal. They are modelled by women of diverse backgrounds and body shapes, and are available in up to a UK size 20.

View this post on Instagram

your christmas list just got a makeover 💫 TALA EDGE • 6.12.19 • 7pm GMT @wearetala

A post shared by grace(@gracebeverley) on Dec 3, 2019 at 11:15am PST

She is a Labour supporter and riled some followers in the run-up to the election when she was reposting a lot of party content.

“I definitely lost a lot of followers around the election”, she says.

“I'm not going to sit back and say ‘I don't talk about those things because I don't want to divide people’.”

She thinks it’s unfair when people point out the contradiction between her well-off background and political views: “I'm very clear about the fact that I've been privileged in a lot of ways, and I think that makes it even more of a thing for me to speak out about.”

Practising what she preaches, she tries to make sure her own business is ethical, and employees are treated well. But Grace has a steelier edge and is keen to show that “not everything is fun and games”.

“I had two meetings before 9am this morning”, she adds.

Grace Beverley with her dog Ziggy sitting in her office

She laughs off the idea of the four-hour workweek, popularised by American self-help writer Tim Ferriss.

“[Do those businesses] have longevity? Do they have brand loyalty?” she asks.

Moreover, just because she believes in sharing wealth in society doesn’t mean she isn’t enjoying the money she is making for herself. Straight out of university, she bought a 3,500 sq ft Victorian house in London which, after her extensive renovations, will have a gym and a double bedroom-sized walk-in wardrobe.

In the past, she might have filled the wardrobe with the fast fashion she bought and advertised before she was aware of the environmental impact of the textile industry, which produces a tenth of the world’s global carbon emissions. These days Grace understands that new clothes are not good for the environment, but finds it difficult to cut out fashion completely. There is no use in “Shout[ing] at people to stop consuming completely and not give in to the adverts that yell at them daily and make them think that they need a new dress for every event”, she says.

Instead she hopes her business Tala will provide a “bridge” for people to ease themselves off fast fashion, allowing them to damage the environment less without making vast changes to their shopping habits. But it hasn’t been as simple as it sounds.

“As soon as you say you're sustainable, people will find flaws in the way you do things”, she says. “It's a whole battlefield.”

dietgossip
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by dietgossip »

Clearly thought the article was going to make her look more flattering than it does. I enjoy when people are reminded that she's not as self made as she makes out to be.

ncxo
Informer
Informer

Post by ncxo »

Thank you for posting the whole transcript!

Personally I don’t think the comments made about her femininity are as bad as she’s making out considering her whole image was built of her appearance and her whole Instagram is to do with vanity which is why her businesses are so successful. The reason why a journalist might not comment on a males appearance like that is because more than likely their appearance has nothing to do with their success based on what their businesses stereotypically will tend to be, whereas her appearance, her image, her egotistical Instagram and the way she portrays herself are paramount and directly correlated with her success.

Studytuber
Talker
Talker

Post by Studytuber »

This is from the article as well:
Grace Beverley | A day in the life of a Gen Z CEO

6am: Beverley wakes up and goes to the gym, doing a workout from her Shreddy app or a fitness class

7am: Get ready for work, putting on a suit from a charity shop that she had laid out the night before to save time

7:45am: Makes coffee and walks to work with cockapoo Ziggy

8:15am: Arrives at work and prepares for the first meeting of the day

8:30-11am: Strategy meeting for Tala, her sustainable gymwear range, where they set annual goals and discuss potential new hires

11-11:45am: Works on a presentation for a team meeting, then finishes a press interview with a noon deadline

11:45am: Travels to lunch in the City

12:30pm: Entrepreneurs lunch run by the GB Entrepreneur Awards

3-6:30pm: Travels back to work and works more on strategy, opening her email inbox for the first time that day. Looks through employee performance reviews and checks on the progress of her house renovation

6:30pm: Goes home to continue working on the sofa in pyjamas

9pm: Watches Love Island to unwind

10:15pm: Takes dog out before bedtime

10:30pm: Bedtime

dietgossip
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by dietgossip »

Studytuber wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:08 pm
This is from the article as well:
Grace Beverley | A day in the life of a Gen Z CEO

6am: Beverley wakes up and goes to the gym, doing a workout from her Shreddy app or a fitness class

7am: Get ready for work, putting on a suit from a charity shop that she had laid out the night before to save time

7:45am: Makes coffee and walks to work with cockapoo Ziggy

8:15am: Arrives at work and prepares for the first meeting of the day

8:30-11am: Strategy meeting for Tala, her sustainable gymwear range, where they set annual goals and discuss potential new hires

11-11:45am: Works on a presentation for a team meeting, then finishes a press interview with a noon deadline

11:45am: Travels to lunch in the City

12:30pm: Entrepreneurs lunch run by the GB Entrepreneur Awards

3-6:30pm: Travels back to work and works more on strategy, opening her email inbox for the first time that day. Looks through employee performance reviews and checks on the progress of her house renovation

6:30pm: Goes home to continue working on the sofa in pyjamas

9pm: Watches Love Island to unwind

10:15pm: Takes dog out before bedtime

10:30pm: Bedtime
Is the journalist on our side here? Cause to me this doesn't scream "hard working business woman" this screams child playing pretend CEO.

Also what she said about the "mental health" days is ridiculous too- “One thing I've always been really clear about is I wanted it to be like a really friendly workplace”, she says.“We have mental health days in our contracts...You don't need to give notice if in the morning you wake up and you just think, ‘No, today's not the day’, whether you've been through a breakup or you have bad mental health.”
That is going to be taken advantage of- and also shows the work ethic of influencers.

Return to “GraceFitUK - Archived Threads”