Simply Smuglogical: Not Like Other Youtubers, Just Like Other Ass-holos - Part 3

escargot123
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0

Re: Simply Smuglogical: Not Like Other Youtubers, Just Like Other Ass-holos - Part 3

Post by escargot123 »

Her stans are aggressively breeding another untouchable UnPrObLeMaTiC queen aka Jenna Marbles 2.0 and look how Jenna ended up
糞食らえ

WORDSALAD
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Re: Simply Smuglogical: Not Like Other Youtubers, Just Like Other Ass-holos - Part 3

Post by WORDSALAD »

Tttttrassh wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:59 pm
Ugh this one. I don’t care about her or her content, it’s her fan base I dislike. I’ve never seen one louder or more aggressive.
Lol this was my attitude until I actually watched a few videos and got triggered.

Smug, pretentious, and yet...... extremely low rent.
Appealing to the lowest denominator (kids).
(Altho.... I shouldn't be so harsh, I would have hated her videos and felt patronised when I was a kid so...)
In my future dystopia your history of stanning one of these creatures will be put on your permanent record, so potential employers can judge accordingly on basis of intelligence.

unskinny
Learner
Learner

Post by unskinny »

Have they ever made a podcast episode where Ben does NOT shit on James Charles other youtubers for absolutely no reason? He calls us sad and pathetic yet he's the one who has a huge urge to be right and to get people? He is such a self-righteous little shit with an arrogant voice. Practice what you preach, Ben...

smallworld
Debater
Debater
Been thanked: 0

Post by smallworld »

tacobeard wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:48 am

The thing that annoyed me most about the discord is someone said that Cristine does this for the money and everyone kept defending her saying it was a "passion product". I am sure that it is a passion, but she is doing it for the money. She continues to make videos, the podcast, the multiple channels, podcast highlights, holotaco, she is an amazon affiliate, takes sponsorships like David's Tea and Overnight Oats. She is in it for the money! She has made several millions from her channel as she once smugly mentioned she has paid over a million dollars in taxes. She is in it for the money! I think it is FINE to be in it for the money but don't act like she is this anomoly who only cares about releasing things for the sake of others. End rant.
Yes! I mentioned this in discorg and everyone was saying that she doesn’t do it for the money. If it wasn’t for the money she would not so many things that get her revenue.

tacobeard
Informer
Informer

Post by tacobeard »

smallworld wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:02 pm
tacobeard wrote:

The thing that annoyed me most about the discord is someone said that Cristine does this for the money and everyone kept defending her saying it was a "passion product". I am sure that it is a passion, but she is doing it for the money. She continues to make videos, the podcast, the multiple channels, podcast highlights, holotaco, she is an amazon affiliate, takes sponsorships like David's Tea and Overnight Oats. She is in it for the money! She has made several millions from her channel as she once smugly mentioned she has paid over a million dollars in taxes. She is in it for the money! I think it is FINE to be in it for the money but don't act like she is this anomoly who only cares about releasing things for the sake of others. End rant.
Yes! I mentioned this in discorg and everyone was saying that she doesn’t do it for the money. If it wasn’t for the money she would not so many things that get her revenue.
I was going to say something in the discord but I thought there was no point. The only thing they don't do is the youtube pay plan but that is because they are "better than people who do" even though Rob and Corinne give their subscribers the option. It's almost like patreon but directly on youtube.

angelfire117
Informer
Informer

Post by angelfire117 »

tacobeard wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:18 pm
smallworld wrote:
tacobeard wrote:

I was going to say something in the discord but I thought there was no point. The only thing they don't do is the youtube pay plan but that is because they are "better than people who do" even though Rob and Corinne give their subscribers the option. It's almost like patreon but directly on youtube.
do Rob and Corinne have day jobs? or is Rob on disability? Since Ben and Cristine are still working, it actually seems like it would be even more greedy for them to start patreon/YT membership. i'm sure theyre making more than enough money from all their different income streams.

tacobeard
Informer
Informer

Post by tacobeard »

angelfire117 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:36 pm
tacobeard wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:18 pm
smallworld wrote:
tacobeard wrote:

do Rob and Corinne have day jobs? or is Rob on disability? Since Ben and Cristine are still working, it actually seems like it would be even more greedy for them to start patreon/YT membership. i'm sure theyre making more than enough money from all their different income streams.
No, that is their full time job. Even if they did have full time jobs, I think having a patreon or the YT membership and giving your fans extra doesn't mean that people who don't choose to use the YT membership are any better than them like Ben believes.

smallworld
Debater
Debater

Post by smallworld »

It’s awesome that she has the resources to launch her own nail polishes, I admire the hustle but she always says that she doesn’t do it for the revenue.

Penelopeia
Learner
Learner

Post by Penelopeia »

Hey guys, i actually lurk around here and never post, but I just had to say how annoying I find her personality to be. Why does she think that her stupid behaviour is funny? What is she, mid 30ies? I at least expect her to behave like a decent human being and not like a 5 year old child. And somehow she always comes across extremely dirty and "unwashed". I will never understand the appeal she apparently has on children and teens.

Elyezabeth
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Elyezabeth »

I feel like even more than she acts like she invented things, her fans genuinely believe she invented things because they've never actually looked into indie nail polish besides hers. I keep seeing things like discussions of how Holo Taco doesn't work well for someone, with no mention of "other brands do this" or "other brands have never done this." Not to mention posting about the "new trend" of multichromes, like ILNP and dozens of other indies don't already have shades that are exactly the same. All she pioneered was goopy one-coater polish that only works better than average polish for water marbles - which she can't even do herself - and maybe gradients.

super awesome
Talker
Talker

Post by super awesome »

Elyezabeth wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:56 pm
I feel like even more than she acts like she invented things, her fans genuinely believe she invented things because they've never actually looked into indie nail polish besides hers. I keep seeing things like discussions of how Holo Taco doesn't work well for someone, with no mention of "other brands do this" or "other brands have never done this." Not to mention posting about the "new trend" of multichromes, like ILNP and dozens of other indies don't already have shades that are exactly the same. All she pioneered was goopy one-coater polish that only works better than average polish for water marbles - which she can't even do herself - and maybe gradients.
This. Cristine absolutely cultivates the idea among her fans that she is this original inventor of everything she touches. She’s careful to never directly say it, so if anyone accuses her of doing it, she can deny it ... but she and Ben know EXACTLY what they’re doing. With just the latest multichromes as a specific example, I mean yeah Cristine, it’s not like I was wearing Rimmel Zeitgeist twenty years ago, a purple/green/gold shifting polish. Even those cheap La Femme polishes had duo- and multichromes available at that time. She and Ben are so disingenuous, and it wouldn’t bother me so much if she weren’t making a shitload of profit from it.

OhHoney
Learner
Learner

Post by OhHoney »

super awesome wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:24 pm
Elyezabeth wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:56 pm
This. Cristine absolutely cultivates the idea among her fans that she is this original inventor of everything she touches. She’s careful to never directly say it, so if anyone accuses her of doing it, she can deny it ... but she and Ben know EXACTLY what they’re doing. With just the latest multichromes as a specific example, I mean yeah Cristine, it’s not like I was wearing Rimmel Zeitgeist twenty years ago, a purple/green/gold shifting polish. Even those cheap La Femme polishes had duo- and multichromes available at that time. She and Ben are so disingenuous, and it wouldn’t bother me so much if she weren’t making a shitload of profit from it.
I don’t really care that she’s making a ton of money or whatever. What bothers me a LOT more is when her rabid fans go around accusing other indie brands from “stealing from” or “trying to profit off of” Cristine. For things that have been done before! Hundreds of times! Or even just their frequently proclaimed belief that Cristine is “changing the game” or “innovating”. She’s innovating fancy deluxe packaging for her polishes, I guess I’ll give her that?

dahlia_13
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by dahlia_13 »

Damn, that birthday polish looks ugly and cheap xD

[halloweendarlin]
Talker
Talker

Post by [halloweendarlin] »

I’m getting holo taco ads on Facebook now. First it was an ad on a Facebook video, then I saw a post on my newsfeed. Great.

Elyezabeth
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Elyezabeth »

One of the top posts on /r/redditlaqueristas right now is something about struggling to remove "holo" without a peely base coat. GLITTER. You are wearing GLITTER. That's the problem. Not "holo". Holo can be any number of finishes, including linear holographics that remove just like normal nail polish. Cristine really didn't teach her followers any nail polish lingo but "holo" lmao.

Also really not a criticism, more like I'm confused. Why does everyone (including the Holo Taco official page) still call her "Simply" when she's obviously revealed her actual name long ago?

Lisatheacrobat
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Lisatheacrobat »

Isn’t Cristine similar to Hyram? Just a hobbyist with no educational background in their niche but come off as a know it all god so that their little stans will think you are the only person who knows everything despite having no degree or real education in the topic at all? I see This a lot in Hyrams fandom. If another skin related youtubers says something against Hyram, they attack them because they don’t know what they are talking about, even though some of them have degrees in skin care and/or science/biology. And Hyram is just the equivalent of a Sephora worker with maybe a slightly more in depth knowledge of skincare products but not necessarily the science behind them and how they work with skin types or different skin issues... i feel Like Cristine is similar in that she was just some hobbyist who did YouTube for fun and doesn’t know the trade like a real nail tech but her spazzy sense of humor attracted younger audiences and now they think she’s the only person who knows anything about nails and everyone else is wrong.

Elyezabeth
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Elyezabeth »

Lisatheacrobat wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:41 pm
i feel Like Cristine is similar in that she was just some hobbyist who did YouTube for fun and doesn’t know the trade like a real nail tech but her spazzy sense of humor attracted younger audiences and now they think she’s the only person who knows anything about nails and everyone else is wrong.
To be fair, there's almost no overlap between what nail techs learn and what an "expert" nail art hobbyist would know. Nail techs learn how to work on other people besides themselves, a lot of what they do centers around building acrylic and gel nails rather than learning how to do any nail art techniques. But Cristine doesn't even seem like an expert hobbyist, and especially since her "I copyrighted holo" type self-branding she seems to have regressed. When I first started watching her (way before she went viral with that 100 layers of polish video) she was really good at executing really, really simple techniques. She'd use sponge gradients and vinyls to make designs that were really pretty, and really well executed for what they were, but ultimately almost anyone can develop those skills. She also filmed pretty nicely at a time when I don't think there was much high quality nail content out there. But if you even compare her to other people in the "hobbyist nail art" community, basically all she does is go on about holo everything. I know I've mentioned her before in this thread, since she was one of the only swatchers I watched for a long time, but JessFace90 ALWAYS gives really detailed description of all the nail jargon she uses. Like if she says "crelly" she'll explain what she means by that. There are all these terms that maybe require a sentence or two of explanation, but aren't hard to understand. Cristine just goes on about holo so much that her fans haven't picked up on the fact that "holo" refers to being reflectively rainbow, and it's different from "glitter" which is large solid chunks of something that make removal hard and catch on your cotton pads as you're removing it.

DKbababa
Talker
Talker

Post by DKbababa »

It's probably petty of me but it irks me how Cristine sells her collections at the same price as individual polishes (which is fine) but acts like people get a good deal because they get a useless box for free. :roll: Every damn time.

ParisianDoll
Informer
Informer

Post by ParisianDoll »

Why are her color stories the same every single time? It feels the same colors in different finishes.

dahlia_13
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by dahlia_13 »

ParisianDoll wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:31 am
Why are her color stories the same every single time? It feels the same colors in different finishes.
It doesn't go without the blue :roll:
I personally really dislike blue on the nails, so maybe I am biased, but I totally agree - for someone so smug about the nail stuff, her collections are quite lackluster.

Return to “Simply Nailogical”