LEEP Procedure

Beef Tentacles
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

LEEP Procedure

Post by Beef Tentacles »

Okay so I'm 21 and I did my first pap which came back abnormal.
I had to do a colposcopy and when there the doctor was not sure if she should take a small biopsy since it didn't look bad.
She ended up doing it, and when they called to give me the results all she said was that it was abnormal and she recommended the LEEP procedure.
Should I go through with this or do you think since I'm young it's not a good idea. Has anyone had the LEEP procedure done at a young age? What was your experience?
Thanks!

Sent from my Vivo ONE using Tapatalk

Brbelina
Learner
Learner

LEEP Procedure

Post by Brbelina »

Beef Tentacles wrote:Okay so I'm 21 and I did my first pap which came back abnormal.
I had to do a colposcopy and when there the doctor was not sure if she should take a small biopsy since it didn't look bad.
She ended up doing it, and when they called to give me the results all she said was that it was abnormal and she recommended the LEEP procedure.
Should I go through with this or do you think since I'm young it's not a good idea. Has anyone had the LEEP procedure done at a young age? What was your experience?
Thanks!

you absolutely should do it, since that's what your doctor recommended. also because it's a good way to remove your abnormal cells without an invasive surgery. it's the route I would go, had I had to do it.
also, I hope you are aware that phrase 'abonrmal cells' means cells very likely to become cancer if left untreated. not to scare you, but you should take it seriously and go do the procedure whenever they let you schedule it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HaveSomeMilk
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Re: LEEP Procedure

Post by HaveSomeMilk »

Abnormal cells doesn't mean that the cells are "very likely" to become cancer if left untreated. I repeat it DOES NOT mean that they are very likely to become cancerous.

Abnormal cells can be as a result of many different things:
- yes cancer or precancerous cells is one of the reasons for abnormal cells.

- HPV (human papilloma virus) can create abnormal or atypical cells (HPV can cause cervical cancer too but considering 80% of the population has it without any knowledge and with no complications from it, it doesn't mean it definitely causes cancer it means a couple strains of the virus has the potential to cause cancer)

- other vaginal infections and inflammations. The cells would return to normal after infection is treated.

- normal ageing can change the appearance of the cells and this is not a worry. Cells can change appearance over time.

- birth control can change the appearance of the cells and this is not a worry. (this was my experience, I stopped my pill my cells went back to normal)

- young age often present with abnormal cells which is completely hence why many countries wont do smear tests until after 25 since oestrogen has a huge impact on the cells of your cervix. If this is the case the cells often revert back to normal with time. However, just because you are young doesn't mean this is definitely the reason why your cells are abnormal.

So if you have just been told that the cells are abnormal with no in depth explanation of what kind of abnormal cells they are it could be any one of these reasons.

However, there are different kinds of abnormal cells which hint to different causes and this is something which might have made your doctor suggest a LEEP.

If your doctor has suggested a LEEP I would personally listen to them. They know their stuff. Although, understandably the procedure can seem a little daunting. I myself have never had the procedure but why not ere on the side of caution and get it done?

I would suggest talking with your doctor if it's something you are worried about (this can often be done on the phone if you don't have the time to book another consultation) you can ask your questions about abnormal cells if they weren't answered in your previous appointments and also check exactly why the LEEP was recommended for you (ie what cell abnormality exactly made them suggest the procedure). If it'll put your mind at ease go for it :)

Beef Tentacles
Learner
Learner

Re: LEEP Procedure

Post by Beef Tentacles »

HaveSomeMilk wrote:Abnormal cells doesn't mean that the cells are "very likely" to become cancer if left untreated. I repeat it DOES NOT mean that they are very likely to become cancerous.

Abnormal cells can be as a result of many different things:
- yes cancer or precancerous cells is one of the reasons for abnormal cells.

- HPV (human papilloma virus) can create abnormal or atypical cells (HPV can cause cervical cancer too but considering 80% of the population has it without any knowledge and with no complications from it, it doesn't mean it definitely causes cancer it means a couple strains of the virus has the potential to cause cancer)

- other vaginal infections and inflammations. The cells would return to normal after infection is treated.

- normal ageing can change the appearance of the cells and this is not a worry. Cells can change appearance over time.

- birth control can change the appearance of the cells and this is not a worry. (this was my experience, I stopped my pill my cells went back to normal)

- young age often present with abnormal cells which is completely hence why many countries wont do smear tests until after 25 since oestrogen has a huge impact on the cells of your cervix. If this is the case the cells often revert back to normal with time. However, just because you are young doesn't mean this is definitely the reason why your cells are abnormal.

So if you have just been told that the cells are abnormal with no in depth explanation of what kind of abnormal cells they are it could be any one of these reasons.

However, there are different kinds of abnormal cells which hint to different causes and this is something which might have made your doctor suggest a LEEP.

If your doctor has suggested a LEEP I would personally listen to them. They know their stuff. Although, understandably the procedure can seem a little daunting. I myself have never had the procedure but why not ere on the side of caution and get it done?

I would suggest talking with your doctor if it's something you are worried about (this can often be done on the phone if you don't have the time to book another consultation) you can ask your questions about abnormal cells if they weren't answered in your previous appointments and also check exactly why the LEEP was recommended for you (ie what cell abnormality exactly made them suggest the procedure). If it'll put your mind at ease go for it :)
Thank you so much for all this information and advice. I have tried to ask them about it, but they're awful at responding to my questions (it has to be done over email !) I think what made me wonder why she wants this done is because she did the colposcopy and said that she didn't really need to take the biopsy but did it anyway just to be sure. I mean, we already knew the cells were abnormal so it's weird that she didn't specify what was abnormal about them after the biopsy. She had also mentioned that since it was caused by HPV, it can go away on its own. I don't know, I just feel like it's not necessary and that they're not taking my concerns seriously. They won't even tell me what the long term effects are or any side effects this might have.
Thank you anyways, I'm just terrified and needed some advice. I really appreciate it!

Return to “Sexual Health”