Dan & Phil Part 63: DanIsNotStraight and AmazingGay

Bookworman355
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dan & Phil Part 63: DanIsNotStraight and AmazingGay

Post by Bookworman355 »

Also yeah, don’t complain how uncomfortable shipping and speculation makes you feel, when you are actively contributing to the “conspiracy” (they’re buying a house hmm I wonder if they’re dating). Appreciate the honesty dude but you clearly don’t care when it’s the thing that pays your bills.
there is definitely a typo in this post

xoxo_24689
Informer
Informer

Post by xoxo_24689 »

Well, this is the most active the thread has been since the coming out videos, so it's safe to say their phandering succeeded.
i talk too much, sry

theteaiscold
Lurker
Lurker

Post by theteaiscold »

I think it's so stupid that they resent or don't like speculation about whether they're together or not. To me it is just blatantly obvious that they're together and have been since 2010 or whatever. I understand them not wanting to make lots of videos about their relationship or disclose details about it, that makes total sense, but they literally both came out as gay and have lived together and had an obviously close relationship for ten years, why do they care that much that people speculate that they're romantically together. People wouldn't have to speculate if they would just lay the issue to rest and confirm they're together. Which they don't have to; that's totally their call, but if they're not going to, people are going to speculate, that's just how it is. And they're going to, either purposefully or not, profit off of people speculating. So if they don't want to confirm it because they profit off of people speculating their relationship, they (when I say they I mean mainly Dan) need to stop complaining about people speculating.

Moon
Learner
Learner

Post by Moon »

The thing is, they have every rights to not disclose their relationship, even if it seems like there is no need to be scared or no need to hide it, if they want to hide it, they can and how phil said it in the Q&A video was well done but then they do videos like their last one, totally targeted at people that ships them and it really doesn't make any sense. It's like someone who is in his garden start to put fences with signs that says "private, do not enter, do not look" then they put windows and holes on the fences for any neighbors to see
After 2 years of not being an enternainement duo and how they talked about how they wanted privacy i really didn't expect this or at least not in that way, starting their comeback with a video playing a game using phan in it is a lot. That Stereo app sponsorship must be good.
:bunny:

kc11236
Lurker
Lurker

Post by kc11236 »

I wish that they would ultimately make content that reflected their more true selves than continuing to do a lot of the same old stuff. I mean, they are 30 something men building a house and have created a life together, let the content reflect more of that rather than more of the silly videos and humor that reflected their younger selves. I get that they don't want to make some sort of formal public statement that they are together, but they pretty much are at this point where it seems like it is no longer up for debate, but at the same time it just seems so silly now because it is so blatant. I don't mind the gaming content, a big part of the reason I watched it because I enjoyed them playing off of each other, but the pandering recently (including PHAN in the video title after saying that they didn't want to comment on their dating lives recently, etc) seems a bit much and disingenuous, like a grab for money rather them wanting to actually do content together. I think they clearly still want to work together but it just seemed less genuine in the last video.

Moon
Learner
Learner

Post by Moon »

I listened to the live show today and even if they don't do this because they legit want to they still were 100% genuinely passionate in what they tell in it. If it's that you are looking for i'd suggest to actually listening to those live shows. It was them being gay and chaoticly themselves like the last live and almost without any filters. But it's just them talking about themselves. It seemed Dan really enjoyed it too. I think the last videos they did just felt like an ad for their stereo liveshows.
Also they apparently got 15000 dollars from that live according to the app leader board.
:bunny:

Riz
Informer
Informer

Post by Riz »

thing is, you can't complain about people preferring your old content vs. your newer better content when you just, don't make the new content at all? He hasn't made anything since BIG, the only time we see him is with Phil, what else are people going to talk about?

nopoint
Talker
Talker

Post by nopoint »

In the coming out video Dan was really upset his mental health was affected by the shipping and fetishization. Now he's not saying anything? He is a fan of youtube essays, if he thinks he's so intellectual he could make video essays on how real person shipping and people turning him into a character in fetish fiction affected him as a gay man. He rather sell his integrity when he needs money instead being true to his feelings.
Their relationship is also made into a fairytale that phannies dream about how perfect it is, when in reality they could be fighting all the time and bored of eachother. They way they act about it makes me think it's fragile and there is something wrong or it is unconventional or why would the excuse that strangers having opinions bother Phil, everyone already has opinions about it because it's the main thing they are promoting now, they offer nothing else but talking about their life. They can do something creative instead of making shows talking about your personal life and buying a house, that takes talent effort and determination which if they had they wouldn't rely on phan.

hagino
Lurker
Lurker

Post by hagino »

While I watched their new videos, I could only think of:
1.It's annoying how most youtubers (Dan and Phil including) try to sell their merch and make so much advertisement.
The only thing I considered buying was Dan's book, because I've been struggling with depression too since a long time. But even then, I doubt I will REALLY buy it.

2.On the other hand, I still have admiration for them, even though they can be annoying with their ads. While I don't watch many youtubers (my nephew shows me some German youtubers though) I realized one thing: Many are extremely problematic and start drama.
If I were in Dan and Phil's position and other youtubers started saying shit about me, I would have written something to defend myself at least once. But they did not and that makes me admire them - they did the right thing by avoiding all this drama.

Bookworman355
Learner
Learner

Post by Bookworman355 »

Fuck me, if they are making $15K, I don’t blame them at all. Who wouldn’t do a couple live shows for that kinda money?

Yeah I’m not hype on the ads but the one I unequivocally like about dnp is how unproblematic they are. They act like actual adults unlike so many other creators. There has been times where they completely could have told someone off (cough Shane Dawson cough) and I would have agreed with them, but the fact that they never have is admirable.

hagino
Lurker
Lurker

Post by hagino »

Yes, I know what you mean! I refuse to watch videos of problematic youtubers such as Shane Dawson or Onision etc. (there are really too many)

I really admire some youtubers. Dan and Phil are two of them *coughCharlie McDonnell and PJ toocough*. They can be annoying at times, but that may also have something to do with my mood.

I know they earn a lot of money but is it just me or have ads increased largely in the last few months? Is it because of COVID 19 or what's the sudden increase of merch and ads?

Btw. really nice to talk with you again:)

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

i've seen plenty of youtubers complain that because of covid, their ad revenue has dropped, so they started doing more sponsored content, some even started patreons.
it does normalize sponsored videos tho, and at this rate, even after covid, it might be a very common thing for youtubers to have a sponsor in every video
The Internet knows all your secrets

galaxy_bxtch
Learner
Learner

Post by galaxy_bxtch »

Just wanted to pick up on a couple of points people have made.

Regarding Dan and his rebranding attempts: If i was defined by what I had posted on the internet 1 years ago i would also find it really annoying and want to change image BUT yknown you have to actually provide some substance to your new brand? You cant just say you're this edgy intellectual now but not actually show this like at all. If Dan wants people to think of him as anything other than danisnotonfire he needs to start providing content. I'm no internet star but like how hard would it be to like do a twitch stream or a vlog or something? As someone who has grown up watching them i would genuinely be more interested in Dan doing a 'here's what i bought from tesco's' vlog than some weird edge lord content that ive waited 2 years for.

Reading that they are making 15k a stereo show has also kind of disgusted me? Basically shows that they only get out of bed for the right price now, don't really care about the audiences and are just putting on a persona when required to make the most money. Its almost as cheeky as dan selling merch despite never uploading anymore.

I kind of feel like Phil is in that 'shane dawson when he made food videos' phase of his channel (phils not an awful racist pedo though but you get my vibe, like its kind of meaningly and churned out just to keep active. I hope this means maybe he'll find his vibe again and we'll get something interesting but i doubt it.

Also wanted to mention how earlier someone said they both came out because they were constantly accused of queer baiting. I completely agree, but does queer baiting just die when you come out or is dropping hints that you're in a gay relationship with your famous friend but refusing to confirm the relationship status not kind of queer baiting still? It's honestly not on like if they were a straight couple this would never be an issue and it shouldn't be different because of their sexuality.

Honestly lads, just go to twitch or vlogging like everyone else has it'll be far more worthwhile and a lot less effort.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

queerbaiting is just straights pretending or alluding to being gay for views.
since they're both out now, any phan related thing they do on purpose is shipbaiting
The Internet knows all your secrets

Bookworman355
Learner
Learner

Post by Bookworman355 »

I’m kinda “meh” on calling what they did queer baiting. While it was definitely ship baiting, I don’t think it’s fair to accuse to closeted people of queer baiting, like they can’t tell you they’re gay when they’re closeted. I think of people like Becky Albertalli, the author who wrote Love, Simon (not spelling out the whole book title lol), and how she was forced to come out as bi when people were mad at her for writing a queer love story.
We can get mad at their “phandering” but I don’t think we should be mad at them not coming out soon enough. It obviously wasn’t all for show with Dan admitting that he had only come out to his family shortly before BIG.

Bookworman355
Learner
Learner

Post by Bookworman355 »

Saw Dan’s story on the house and Phil’s recent story with him. Literally nothing important but just wanna say they look really happy and are excited about the house, and that’s nice to see. :D

nopoint
Talker
Talker

Post by nopoint »

Now they do this after people were praising them for setting boundaries to their private lives :roll: . Are they not seeing how it looks when they both said they are private & won't talk about personal dating life then they post insta stories doing a "couples" filter quiz to promote their 15k/session podcast where all they talk about is getting a house, a dog and "domestic arguments". Do they not feel like sellouts going against what they said?

I saw on big tumblr blogs got people again questioning if they really are a couple because the way Dan talks in the shows gives vibes of just bffs with no romantic interest towards Phil. He discussed about some deep things about himself yesterday, he said he has issues with fear of loss and opening up to "let love in". Phil doesn't say anything to give any impression of their relationship, he does gameshows for children on thursdays.
At this point no reason why they continue this makes sense to me anymore i'm starting to think what if it is true that Dan has no romantic attraction to Phil anymore and only likes knowing he has someone in the house with him like he said yesterday.
It would be better if they were playing games to keep interest in the mystery of phan then if in reality they are stuck together like this because of work and Dan's abandonment issues because that's sad for two men in their 30s. But Dan is ok with making it look that way, it must suck for Phil he doesn't do any "jokes" at Dan's expense like Dan does to him.

Riz
Informer
Informer

Post by Riz »

lol its a really horrible situation to be in for of them to be in if they aren't dating. why would they do that to themselves? I'm sure they are together in some form, like why else would you get a big house with your best friend who is also your ex? A house like that it is a big commitment and its obvious they are planning it to be long-term, idt anyone would do that with a platonic best friend. Like imagine if one of them got into a new relationship, would they rent out their part of the house or would they have their new boo move in with it their best friend/ex, with whom they have been living for the past 11 years? Just imagine how that would pan out. The tumblr bigthinks are always making posts like that, i don't want to be mean but most of them seem to have zero idea about how relationships work in real life.

kc11236
Lurker
Lurker

Post by kc11236 »

nopoint wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:59 pm
Now they do this after people were praising them for setting boundaries to their private lives :roll: . Are they not seeing how it looks when they both said they are private & won't talk about personal dating life then they post insta stories doing a "couples" filter quiz to promote their 15k/session podcast where all they talk about is getting a house, a dog and "domestic arguments". Do they not feel like sellouts going against what they said?

I saw on big tumblr blogs got people again questioning if they really are a couple because the way Dan talks in the shows gives vibes of just bffs with no romantic interest towards Phil. He discussed about some deep things about himself yesterday, he said he has issues with fear of loss and opening up to "let love in". Phil doesn't say anything to give any impression of their relationship, he does gameshows for children on thursdays.
At this point no reason why they continue this makes sense to me anymore i'm starting to think what if it is true that Dan has no romantic attraction to Phil anymore and only likes knowing he has someone in the house with him like he said yesterday.
It would be better if they were playing games to keep interest in the mystery of phan then if in reality they are stuck together like this because of work and Dan's abandonment issues because that's sad for two men in their 30s. But Dan is ok with making it look that way, it must suck for Phil he doesn't do any "jokes" at Dan's expense like Dan does to him.
Here's the thing: they are intensely private people in many ways, keeping a lot of stuff off of camera. We have no idea what they are like with the cameras off, so what they choose to be on camera is how they select to be seen. My point being, I wouldn't put too much of a grain of salt on what they choose to show, say, or how they interact on camera. Even so, there are ways that they look at each other (maybe it's just the swoony romantic in me lol who knows) sometimes that makes me feel like there is a special romantic connection between them still. Honestly think they are together and have been for most of their time knowing each other. it wouldn't make a lot of sense to me otherwise to continue to be in business together, buy a house that you both commit to and build with your specific tastes together in mind, but that's just my take. Who the hell knows, I just think it would be highly unlikely otherwise.

nopoint
Talker
Talker

Post by nopoint »

i don't consider them intensely private people when all they do is reveal things about their private relationship to thousand of listeners.

Like today Dan inserted out of nowhere, unrelated to the topic, that he doesn't get married because of commitment issues and then went on a rant about his problems with control and shotgun weddings while Phil was trying to stop him and move on. He is desperate to make people talk about this :rofl: but it's so embarrassing to say this in front of an audience while your partner is next to you :? . If you've been faithfully committed to him for 12 years and bought a house why is marriage a different commitment issue?

I know what they put on camera is a faked image to look more interesting than their boring irl selves but Dan was doing that Shane Dawson thing of being authentic living his truth.
tbh, their images are not compatible, Phil is a out of touch 34 year old trying to be hip with the children by jumping on trends, his weird awkwardness is becoming painful to see not endearing anymore as he gets old. And Dan has been obsessed with crafting a cool idea of himself for years always cringing at his old videos but he has no personality to back up that image and ends up reverting to being a phan clown. He is now into political rants and is fan of these philosophy youtubers he kind of doesn't fit being with someone like Phil who he calls a boomer but with some confident intellectual snob like the tubers he admires. He's never been on his own his whole life that's why he has all these issues, he's used to Phil being a person always there who he can control easily, having control means a lot to him. But why would marriage change anything for him if he's already 24h always faithfully together for years? It could not be as rosy as it looks between them. Phil looks ready for commitment getting a pet fish wanting a pet dog, i do feel bad for him having to wait around for a partner like Dan who puts out the idea that he likes having Phil like an old couch he is used to but not enough to commit.

Return to “Danisnotonfire & AmazingPhil”