Shane Dawson Part 14? Find out in 2021

morbit
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Shane Dawson Part 14? Find out in 2021

Post by morbit »

Yeah I agree that Shane's reaction to seeing the scars was insensitive. I mean, it deserves a big reaction. Being in a state of mind where that's something you could possibly put yourself through, isn't something to just shrug off. But Shane really was weird and smiley about it, right? Like he couldn't tone it down. He was probably in shock, or uncomfortable, but it really shows how unprofessional he is. Imagine telling someone about/showing them something that vulnerable to you, something you NEVER talk about, and getting that reaction? Jesus...

And yeah, about two episodes of this five part series were interesting enough to warrant those "the TRUTH" titles. Lol.

kaitrash
Learner
Learner

Post by kaitrash »

Shane screeching "OHMYGAWD JEFREEEEEEEE" at the scars was infuriating. if I had just opened up to someone about something like that and they reacted so absurdly, I'd be so annoyed. I'm sure he was just taken aback but I mean... really?

side note, is someone currently living in jeffrees old place? there was stuff everywhere, so did Shane and his producer just contact whoever is living there now like "hey an online celebrity used to live here, do you mind if we bring him there and have him call it small and make it sound like crap for a bit?" lol

swashbuckler
Debater
Debater

Post by swashbuckler »

Shane is very good at getting people to trust him, but if they trust him with more than his brain can handle (Jeffree's reveal)... He doesn't know what to do. Which I get, still.

I don't know why he didn't see coming that Jeffree had something really bad he was keeping back. Jeffree dropped a lot of hints even on previous days.

But, then,IDK... Maybe just telling it was more important to Jeffree than anything Shane could say. However, that's Jeffree who had ten years to try to get better. What if Shane has something like this dropped on him by someone who has barely started trying to get better?

KristKay5000
Lurker
Lurker

Post by KristKay5000 »

Ok, can someone please answer this for me. I've watched 3 out of the 3 videos on Jeffrey but I'm still a little confused on the HOW he actually make the money. Some of it feels very glossed over and a lot of the videos were filler and reaction shots of Shane being amazed for the cameras at all the money. So he was a funny, controversial, outspoken, scandalous dude on myspace. He made some money from that and then turned it into this massive empire? What did I miss?

jenboghel_01
Learner
Learner

Post by jenboghel_01 »

I didn’t like how they added in the clip of old Jeffree pulling the butcher knife out of his bag and saying “right, ladies?” because obviously Jeffree was talking about self defense and not cutting himself with a damn butcher knife!!! Like it was so distasteful to but that clip in right after he was talking about his scars...

melissa1983
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by melissa1983 »

His fans are so pathetic. Someone tweeted at Shane, they took a picture of themselves fucking CRYING, telling Shane he is an inspiration to them. They will literally do anything to get his attention. It's disgusting.

triptocaine
Debater
Debater

Post by triptocaine »

KristKay5000 wrote:Ok, can someone please answer this for me. I've watched 3 out of the 3 videos on Jeffrey but I'm still a little confused on the HOW he actually make the money. Some of it feels very glossed over and a lot of the videos were filler and reaction shots of Shane being amazed for the cameras at all the money. So he was a funny, controversial, outspoken, scandalous dude on myspace. He made some money from that and then turned it into this massive empire? What did I miss?
From what i understood (correct me if i'm wrong) he became famous through myspace, he was working at Mac at the time as a makeup artist. I think he met Kat Von D whdn he was working at mac but i'm not sure. Then he started a music career so hd made money from that. His music career didnt work out, he then started doing YouTube videos and launched his makeup company. I think thats where most of his money comes from. He also said he invested in a lot of stuff, like weed for example. If i'm wrong feel free to correct me!
Sorry for my bad english

socialtwerker
Talker
Talker

Post by socialtwerker »

kaitrash wrote: side note, is someone currently living in jeffrees old place? there was stuff everywhere, so did Shane and his producer just contact whoever is living there now like "hey an online celebrity used to live here, do you mind if we bring him there and have him call it small and make it sound like crap for a bit?" lol
I think someone is living there for sure. In fact there's a shot when they walk in the bedroom (before Shane and J* go one-on-one) where J* points to a framed photo of two older white folks (though they blurred it a little) on a dresser and goes "who are those people, Ryland is that your parents?!" lol.

And to answer your second question, I think yes, in fact I believe it was Jessie who called. She was there in a blink and you miss it moment. When they got to the apartment, you can clearly hear her talking (she has a very distinct voice IMO) and then once the land lady is done meeting Shane the camera pans away and you can hear her say "and you must be Jessie?" and Jessie's like "yes, hi, so nice to meet you" or whatever.

facepainter
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by facepainter »

Another underwhelming episode.

Like others have said, it’s frustrating because Jeffree is an interesting subject for a documentary, but Shane and co are too busy acting like jackasses to put together a good project.

I agree with the person who said that Jeffree is probably disappointed with how this turned out. I think it’s pretty obvious that he was hoping for another Graveyardgirl scenario whose series ended up being emotional and moving.

Even with Jeffree’s revelation about self-harm, this series didn’t hit the same note. I think it’s because the series with Bunny turned into an emotional rollercoaster unexpectedly and organically, but here you could tell that Jeffree was waiting for the moment when things would get “real.” Meanwhile Shane was too busy making a joke out of everything and killing any chance for this having a serious tone.

Overall, this was a total fail. More than half of each video was annoying filler and Shane was a terrible interviewer. He was clearly not the right person to have asked Jeffree about his racism. Kay Blaque (who broke down why Jeffree’s apology for it was bogus) would’ve done a much better job.

Shane should stick to his conspiracy videos because this new schtick of having heart-to-hearts with other YouTubers isn’t working out. It worked with Bunny because he didn’t expect it and because she is simply more genuine and vulnerable than both Tana and Jeffree.

VoldemortsMom
Learner
Learner

Post by VoldemortsMom »

triptocaine wrote:
KristKay5000 wrote:Ok, can someone please answer this for me. I've watched 3 out of the 3 videos on Jeffrey but I'm still a little confused on the HOW he actually make the money. Some of it feels very glossed over and a lot of the videos were filler and reaction shots of Shane being amazed for the cameras at all the money. So he was a funny, controversial, outspoken, scandalous dude on myspace. He made some money from that and then turned it into this massive empire? What did I miss?
From what i understood (correct me if i'm wrong) he became famous through myspace, he was working at Mac at the time as a makeup artist. I think he met Kat Von D whdn he was working at mac but i'm not sure. Then he started a music career so hd made money from that. His music career didnt work out, he then started doing YouTube videos and launched his makeup company. I think thats where most of his money comes from. He also said he invested in a lot of stuff, like weed for example. If i'm wrong feel free to correct me!
Yeah thats another thing Shane never got into. Jeffree mentioned having 10 other businesses, property investments, and weed investments and how he does more than just makeup and from what I remember Shane says something like "we'll get to all of that" but then he never really asks about it in depth ever again?? Another miss lol

Tenacious_Gee
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Tenacious_Gee »

OK, I have to say that I am just so glad I'm not the only one immensely put off by Shane's reaction to Jeffree revealing his self-harm scars. Like, that is a serious freaking moment. I've watched this whole series knowing very little about J*, hoping to know more about him, and not only has this whole series completely freaking failed at giving me an overall idea of who he is, but it also actually made me frustrated with how this potentially fascinating content was mishandled.

Like, when Jeffree first starts to show the scar, it's like Shane desperately flounders to bring it back to him. "Wait--what the fuck--oh my God, can we like, stop?" Umm, no, Shane. When someone opens themselves up to you in such a serious way, you don't just make it about you and how you can't handle it. You don't make a joke about how you want them to stop. Especially when you're filming what you call a "documentary." You want them to show everything, and you want to encourage it. It was just so embarrassing to watch Jeffree trying to be professional about his self-harm scars, while Shane, who struggles to be respectable at the best of times, floundered and whined about how he couldn't handle it. "What the fuck? What the fuck, Jeffree?" Oh my God, I know Shane comes across as nice, but if I ever saw him in person, I would just be telling him, "Shhh. This isn't about you."

Like, as someone who studies documentaries for school, this was so frustrating. The whole series, I was desperately wishing for some kind of structure, like: Jeffree's childhood & relationship with his dad, how he got into sex work, how he got into Myspace, how he launched YouTube, etc. Instead, we get vague info on his business career, and a whole 5 episodes of Shane gasping over his wealth.

Basically:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

facepainter
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by facepainter »

He first made money from becoming a popular musician on Myspace, but then he wasted it all. He got serious about YouTube a couple of years ago and decided to launch his own brand. He claims to have invested the last $3,000 he had to release three liquid lipstick shades. They sold really well and his brand has skyrocketed since then. Everything he releases sells out quickly. He's also the part owner of Killer Merch and he told Shane that he owns several properties which he rents out and every month the money of his tenants just goes into his bank account. I can't remember what his other businesses are. With his makeup brand, the merch company, his YouTube AdSense money, and property rentals, he's probably making a nice penny.

I think he lied to Shane about making HUNDREDS of millions of dollars a year, though. Maybe he makes over a hundred million (since he apparently just paid $20 million in taxes) but that would still only make it one hundred million, not HUNDREDS of millions.

LiddlePallid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LiddlePallid »

He said he owns several apartment complexes, Think of how many people live there, and the rent must be pretty high (he said one of them's in New York) and that money just gets deposited to his bank account every month - I have always wanted to invest in property like that so I'm kinda jealous :rofl:

exposer
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by exposer »

Anyone else cringe when Shane asked Jeffree’s old landlord, a STRANGER, if she “makes a lot of money on these apartments”... just because she had a Gucci bag?

That poor woman omfg

graceysghost
Informer
Informer

Post by graceysghost »

So I’m probably the black sheep here but I enjoyed this series. Could it have been executed better? Yeah. Like the whole pitch skit in part 4 was cringey and that time could have been better used talking more about the makeup line and the processes of making it.

A vast majority of YouTube watchers have zero knowledge of Jeffree Star other than he’s gotten into some scandals and comes across as petty. I see a lot of people saying “well a quick google search would’ve told you...” yeah it could’ve but unfortunately in this day and age people don’t do that very often. The amount of misinformation that plagues social media with millions of shares that can be debunked by a quick google search should be an indicator of why people are mostly clueless about Jeffree Star.

That being said, there was a lot of information shared that a huge amount of people didn’t know. Most of it was glossed over, sure. As an adult nearing her 30s I would’ve absolutely loved to hear more in depth explanations of the businesses. But for the huge chunk of the audience that’s 17-20, they don’t care.

As for the reaction to the self harm, that was GENUINE shock and a hint of fear. People often don’t know what to say or do when someone reveals that they self harm(ed). As someone who used to do so, when I revealed scars to my husband back when we were dating, his reaction was similar in exclaiming “what the fuck!?” And was brought close to tears. It’s not an entirely insensitive reaction. It was complete shock and he likely cried off camera, you could hear it in his voice.

And I don’t think Jeffree finds Shane as annoying as everyone is saying. Jeffree has a dark past, and like most people with dark pasts and depression, he loves to laugh. Shane makes him laugh and he often makes his own jokes to lighten things.

Idk I understand the criticism everyone has been saying on here but I feel like everyone is going a little too hard, lol

2013catmemes
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by 2013catmemes »

I wish that he didn't use such similar titles for his videos, I've missed some before because the titles & thumbnails are so similar. I bet a lot of other people do this too.

even just put something like "1/5" or "part one" in the title

pepesylvia
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by pepesylvia »

i think jeffree owns shane a lot of money for essentially saving his reputation

exposer
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by exposer »

It's no mistake that is glossed over... It's looking that way because Jeffree may have inflated the numbers dramatically. I think the bulk of his money comes from Jeffree Star Cosmetics. The rest he just says comes from "10 other companies", and in another video he called it "5 other companies" and then "10 other companies and investments etc". Sounds sketchy to me. I believe his companies in sum would be turning over 10's of millions per year, but the idea that they are turning over hundreds of millions is just not true. Anyone with ownership of companies that turns over that much would have a net worth of close to a billion. Jeffrees living in a tacky cheap McMansion.

It's just convenient that he said "I have 10 other companies" because it means he can dodge anyone who raises questions about him saying he's turning over "hundreds of millions of dollars". Just consider him owning a rental property. If you spent $5mill acquiring a rental property, you might make $500,000 per year on it. That STILL is going to take 10 YEARS to pay off, before you even get a real profit (and we aren't even factoring in taxes, so it would take even longer).

The idea that Jeffree owns a brownstone apartment building in New York, as is shown in the series, is laughable. Those buildings cost upwards of $100 million dollars in total. You're telling me Jeffree Star who had no money a few years ago, and lives in a $3mill house, would have $100mill to spend on a brownstone apartment building or even a deposit? Thats doubtful. No one grants you a mortgage on a ginormous building like that when you own an inherently risky asset like a makeup company. Maybe he owns one or two apartments IN an apartment building and rents them out. Big whoop again, still not gonna be making much money, and still takes years to turn a real profit on your investment.

So yeah, I believe Jeffree massively inflates his earnings/revenue. Maybe he meant "hundreds of millions" over the multiple years of running his businesses, and it might just add up to over $100m in revenue. But saying you're turning over "hundreds of millions" is very disingenuous because that should mean IN ONE YEAR. :roll: It's no wonder he's called the Donald Trump of the makeup world
Last edited by exposer on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miserlou
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by miserlou »

The main reason why I think it was insensitive was because Jeffree was trying to talk about it and Shane was just shouting over him like a 14 year old girl.

If he had just said “omg, wtf I wasn’t expecting this, I need 5 minutes to process it” or whatever then that’s fair enough. His reaction just seemed ott to me, especially since jeffree said that this was the first time he had opened up about it.

exposer
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by exposer »

double post
Last edited by exposer on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Shane Dawson”