It’s Way Past My Paycheck To Greet My Fans - Part 5

fakerthanvelveeta
Learner
Learner

Re: It’s Way Past My Paycheck To Greet My Fans

Post by fakerthanvelveeta »

ninjaduen wrote:Well, the timing of this "statement" couldn't have been better; it's all we're talking about now.

However, as a person with a master in literature it baffles me how she has not learnt the value of true critique. It is a basic thing in an arts course, both how to give critique and to receive critique (criticism? English is not my first language), and the latter is definitely not easy. But in this line of work it is very much a part of the job and an important one as well. Otherwise, how would you ever improve? I think her "don't say anything negative"-speech confirms, that she is untrained on so many levels. Unfortunately, she is not the only person in the Heathers production who seems to shy away from criticism in any form: https://www.thestage.co.uk/opinion/2018 ... cs-review/
So we can expect her to be backed by the producers of the show in her efforts to stay in her magic fairy bubble where only positive comments are allowed (albeit ignored). A shame they participated in West End Live then... :roll:
The article you linked brings up a point that is really rubbing me the wrong way. The producers are saying that the show is a work-in-progress, yet I see nothing on their site that let's audiences know that and it doesn't seem like the price of tickets reflects that. If you're putting on a show and charging people the standard price for tickets, you should be giving them a proper show that has most of it's issued resolved. The whole thing just feels very unprofessional when you look at their very late announcement of the supporting cast, short rehearsal period, the aggression towards people online, and now this. The whole production is so messy and the people behind it are so thin skinned that they refuse to acknowledge that.

I remember the rehearsals for Addams Family being pretty extensive and there were clips of Carrie working on her accent with a dialect coach. You could tell that professionals were behind it making sure that all it was a show they could be proud to share with an audience. Carrie also suited the part vocally and the acting style worked for her. Now compare all of that to the production she's in now, it's a money grab and she's being used. If they actually cared about the production and the actors in it they would take the time to get it right and bring in professionals to help the process along, but that would probably cost too much money and they're looking to make money not spend it.

Post by Guest »

The show looks very unprofessional and messy.
It all seems like it’s been rushed together. And the reactions of having negative criticism is just shocking. They are all so thin skinned and so aggressive. They are in the arts, it’s a tough business which will have people voice their opinions. Good or bad. Yet they all put their hands over their ears and refuse to listen like a spoilt toddler. They don’t act like professionals or even adults. Just spoilt brats. They need to get over themselves and just ignore the negative comments. They are just making it worse for themselves by telling people to say nothing.

What’s ironic is you can guarantee if they don’t like something, they will definitely voice it. But apparently that’s ok...

So frustrating seeing this behaviour from grown adults. They disgrace the industry.

m11
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by m11 »

IMG_1096.PNG
I actually laughed out loud. I looked up the original show's posters and nowhere does it say "STARRING BARRETT WILBERT WEED" Face it Carrie, you're being used and people aren't stupid. Also Jodie Steele has posted an Instagram picture about loving her character but telling people not to be nasty like her "especially behind the keyboard" :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Junko Enoshima
Learner
Learner

Post by Junko Enoshima »

m11 wrote:
IMG_1096.PNG
I actually laughed out loud. I looked up the original show's posters and nowhere does it say "STARRING BARRETT WILBERT WEED" Face it Carrie, you're being used and people aren't stupid. Also Jodie Steele has posted an Instagram picture about loving her character but telling people not to be nasty like her "especially behind the keyboard" :roll:
This is SUCH a blatant lie? The only musical near me that has a cast member on the posters is promoting an actress from Eastenders being in it. EVERYTHING ELSE doesn't plug the lead. She's just making up bullshit at this point to justify her blatant stunt casting that is seriously taking advantage of her young and vulnerable fanbase. £60 a ticket for a show so unfinished it's not allowing critics is absolute extortion. The showrunners are exploiting her fanbase to rip people off while trying to make themselves exempt from criticism.

There's a possibility that Heathers would have sold out without her as the lead, sure, since it has a pretty big online following, but it certainly wouldn't be £60 a seat as a start-up show before it established itself. She is either so deluded and naive she can't understand how the showrunners are using her fame to exploit her fans, or she full on does not care about them being ripped off.

kofi
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by kofi »

m11 wrote:
IMG_1096.PNG
Wut? I’m all for taking pride in your accomplishments but everything Carrie says sounds like she’s so in love with herself? Like most of her awards come from competitions where everyone can vote and of course her subscribers will vote for her even if they haven’t watched her show... there’s no credibility in that. And last time I checked most West End productions don’t have their lead actor’s name in the posters.

Post by Guest »

m11 wrote:
IMG_1096.PNG
Jfc.

"I've made a name for myself in musical theatre"
Okay... but you were famous on Youtube first. You auditioned and got into some shows, which your YouTube audience all came to watch...

"I have become an award winning actress"
Okay... but how many of your awards were based on public votes where you asked your YouTube audience to vote for you/the show you were in?

morsecodedotdot

Post by morsecodedotdot »

One west end show and a couple of tours does not make a name for one self prior to Heathers. A YouTube audience that can sell out a show means a name they are going to list.

Edit: It’s way past my subscriber count to stunt cast a show

fakerthanvelveeta
Learner
Learner

m11 wrote:
IMG_1096.PNG
A slight peak in sales my ass. The show is based on a cult-classic, but its safe to say that the majority of sales are coming from Carrie fans.

fakerthanvelveeta
Learner
Learner

So I was doing some digging on the director of the show, Andy Fickman and now I have no doubts that Carrie was stunt cast because of her following.

Andy was the producer and director of a show on YouTube called Internet Icon, "a competition between groups to see who can be "the next internet icon" or be able to run their own YouTube channel while sustaining an audience". It lasted for 2 seasons until it was cancelled because of funding issues. Here's a link to the wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Icon

This guy knows about the influence these YouTubers hold, made a reality show about being an "internet icon" on YouTube, and then magically found Carrie (with her +600K YouTube subcribers/+500K tiwtter followers/+400K Instagram followers) to be the perfect actress to play Veronica out of all the people who auditioned for the show. Yeah. Sure.

Post by Guest »

oh this thread is moving real fast at the moment :o

Just finished watching Carrie's new video and I agree with most of you. What she's been through was def abuse and it must have been so awful and scary... I'm glad she managed to get out of it because who knows how worse it could have become. However, knowing that her last two relationships were abusive and that she has jumped right into another one after the last one ended worries me. Especially the way she has clearly been completely obsessed with Oliver at the start (like how her Adam's videos were basically vlogs of Oliver's face). I don't really care for Oliver except that I don't find him really attractive (he just has a weird face imo). I truly hope the best for their relationship but I can't help but feel like Carrie should have taken a small break in terms of relationships.

I wouldn't be surprised to know that she hasn't completely dealt with everything that happened to her emotionally. The way she is projecting her own relationships onto the Heathers is a good sign imo. She is projecting so hard it prevents her from actually understanding what the story is really about. She has also been repeating the same pattern she has done with Pete like involving Oliver in her professional projects, already living with him, etc. That plus the fact that she hasn't stop releasing books, CDs, videos, and going from musicals to musicals in the last few months/years, she is probably super tired emotionally. No wonder she is appearing more and more agressive and insecure (all the bragging is probably to compensate the fact that a part of her knows full well that some of the bad comments she receives about her acting are true).

MsMaybe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by MsMaybe »

Oliver looks like someone that I can’t quite place and it really bugs me.

I don’t know what happened between her and Pete. He didn’t seem like the violent type but I suppose you never know. I think it’s a bit...weird...to out someone as abusive online without explicitly saying that it is or isn’t him. If it is, then call him out, If it’s not then, it’s a bit unfair to imply it is. Whatever happened, I don’t excuse violence in relationships and I hope she’s happier now she’s out of that relationship.

nym
Debater
Debater

Post by nym »

m11 wrote: I actually laughed out loud. I looked up the original show's posters and nowhere does it say "STARRING BARRETT WILBERT WEED" Face it Carrie, you're being used and people aren't stupid. Also Jodie Steele has posted an Instagram picture about loving her character but telling people not to be nasty like her "especially behind the keyboard" :roll:
I'M WHEEZING HOLY SHIT :rofl: . She's so self-absorbed and delusional. Most of her prizes come from the public vote, not professional critics. And, as you said, the name of the actress playing Veronica never showed up in the poster or anything.

I don't know who she's trying to kid, herself or the rest of the world.
English is not my native language, please forgive any mistakes

nerdychild
Learner
Learner

Post by nerdychild »

I know we stick to the "it's way past my.." formula for these thread names but can the next one be called Carrie Hope Fisher???

holly golightly
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by holly golightly »

Someone mentioned "It's Way Past My Ability to Handle Constructive Criticism" a few pages back and I'm still howling over that, so that gets my vote :rofl:

Einhorn_two
Debater
Debater

Post by Einhorn_two »

just leaving that here:

Why the hell is she shouting so much ? :roll:

Also dear Paul, the theatre is full of young people because of Carrie - not especially because of the show Heathers. Just admit that you used her and don't act so surprised that the run is sold out :roll:

holly golightly
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by holly golightly »

I like how Jodie is the only one who really has the guts to admit who she was actually like at school character wise, that she was more of a 'Heather' at school (unless she realised that it was wrong and changed). Everyone else appears to be kind of skirting around the question because they want to be perceived as either cooler or nicer than they probably were at school.

Lavender Earl Grey
Talker
Talker

Post by Lavender Earl Grey »

Girl who plays Heather M: I used to be a Martha because I was huge.. and then we did fat club to lose weight. Hahahah wow, here's another one with a poor grasp of the characters.

oliviachristien
Talker
Talker

Post by oliviachristien »

I just watched the video and I'm SO sure they're all drunk! Specially sophie isaacs - she definitely doesn't normally speak like that! They're all sluring their words!

iammoonmoon
Talker
Talker

Post by iammoonmoon »

Einhorn_two wrote:just leaving that here:
<a class="vglnk" href="" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>youtube</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>watch</span><span>?</span><span>v</span><span>=</span><span>Y</span><span>_</span><span>1eMGlMmGw</span></a>

Also dear Paul, the theatre is full of young people because of Carrie - not especially because of the show Heathers. Just admit that you used her and don't act so surprised that the run is sold out :roll:
Omg they're really pushing this “being a Heather” thing to the max. :roll:
Excuse typos I’m probably on mobile

m11
Talker
Talker

Post by m11 »

Einhorn_two wrote:just leaving that here:

For some reason the fact that the video starts with Tom is just killing me :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Never out from under that shadow...

Return to “Carrie Hope Fletcher”