Keeping up with the Dawsons (part 10)

Noli
Wanderer
Wanderer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keeping up with the Dawsons (part 10)

Post by Noli »

j r wrote:when people watch your videos all the way through you get boosted up in the youtube algorithm. morgan knew damn well what she was doing by dragging something so stupid out into a 12 minute video and waiting until the end to say she’s straight. we all KNEW she was straight already, in fact straight is the default for 99% of people unless stated otherwise. she literally made the video because she knew it would get people wondering and get them to watch until the end. it’s not revolutionary to use lgbt people as your clickbait, its just fucking stupid.

shane basically said that her life is so hard because people would ask if she’s gay. how is that hard when all you do is say “no” and its over with? i’ve hidden the people i’m dating from my family because i’m terrified of them finding out and being disappointed. i get anxiety attacks when im somewhere where i may be judged or worse for being perceived as anything other than cishet and i’ve pretended for years to be something i’m not and that takes a huge toll on you mentally. but morgan, as a straight person, has it SOOO HARD. okay. :roll: :roll:

You can actually watch YouTube videos through hooktube so you don’t give them a view & they don’t get paid

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Hippo
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Hippo »

yungchi wrote:I honestly don't blame Shane for speaking about his trauma in this context. I don't think he is trying to be manipulative, it must be frustrating having experienced real homophobia and arguing about something so petty and dumb in comparison. But that being said, he probably shouldn't have risen to it so much. He must really love Morgan. :love2:
:roll: Shouldn't you be on Twitter kissing his ass?

funfunthinkaboutfun
Informer
Informer

Post by funfunthinkaboutfun »

Shane is like an angry little pitbull, insanely protective of the people he deems family and it’s claws out as soon as there’s any criticism coming their way. It’s an admirable quality to an extent but it also seems to be a bit overkill, he’ll blindly defend and ignore any other opinions which seems more so desperate than endearing. I think he’s terrified of Morgan potentially feeling hurt about the comments because he sees it as him being the reason she’s on yt at all and then in his mind it’s indirectly him hurting her.

On a side note it’s really messed up that someone like him who’s made a real and very emotional and difficult coming out video is okey with and even justifying her baiting that hers is the same for views. His response is completely expected through, but still disappointing.

thehippiechick
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by thehippiechick »

My question...

Must they take those hideous dolls with them every freaking where?

Particularly Garrett's. That thing is nightmare fuel.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. - George Carlin

niki900
Informer
Informer

Post by niki900 »

Honestly in that picture, I'm way more scared by Garrett's teeth than the doll.
But also yes, those dolls need to go. It's not a cute or quirky 'brand'.

Post by Guest »

Hippo wrote:
yungchi wrote:I honestly don't blame Shane for speaking about his trauma in this context. I don't think he is trying to be manipulative, it must be frustrating having experienced real homophobia and arguing about something so petty and dumb in comparison. But that being said, he probably shouldn't have risen to it so much. He must really love Morgan. :love2:
That post was completely unnecessary

I agree with the first post and I agree with Shane. I believe the reason he rushed to defend Morgan is he cares about her and knows how scary it is to be attacked by most of the internet and feel genuinely disliked when you're really new on youtube. Hate could really bring her down (it passed the critisism level on some occassions). Especially for something she didn't mean harm on, she didn't deserve this. Maybe he overdid it arguing with viewers, but I understand his frustration. His struggles aren't less than everyone else's.

Ps. I don't watch Morgan, I don't care about her.

Fairycake
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Fairycake »

I hate those dolls haha its so weird they take them everywhere, but those strangers in the video seem to like them haha.
Look at garrett though, i need a garrett. :sadm:

niki900
Informer
Informer

Post by niki900 »

I think for me the issue isn't so much that Shane is defending Morgan, but the arguments he tries to use.

"I was (allegedly) gay bashed once, there are real gay issues out there, leave Morgan alone"

What he's doing here is basically dismissing what others may feel because it subjectively doesn't compare to what HE has been through. It's an extremely shitty thing to undermine other's valid feelings because they don't compare in magnitude to what HE has personally been through. It's manipulation.

Like yeah Morgan is young and dumb with little experience in dealing with a massive audience. She doesn't realise what she puts out there can be interpreted very differently than she imagined. But that doesn't mean she should be shielded from criticism, it's part of the growing process.
Do I think people are overreacting? Perhaps. But if this is something she wants to do for a living, she needs to learn that everything she does will be put under scrutiny, and Shane should know better than to attempt to create some safe space for her to be free from criticism.

Hippo
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Hippo »

MineDressFearless wrote:
Hippo wrote:
That post was completely unnecessary

I agree with the first post and I agree with Shane. I believe the reason he rushed to defend Morgan is he cares about her and knows how scary it is to be attacked by most of the internet and feel genuinely disliked when you're really new on youtube. Hate could really bring her down (it passed the critisism level on some occassions). Especially for something she didn't mean harm on, she didn't deserve this. Maybe he overdid it arguing with viewers, but I understand his frustration. His struggles aren't less than everyone else's.

Ps. I don't watch Morgan, I don't care about her.
Right as opposed to Shane who's telling people that his struggles are more real than everyone elses.

What's unnecessary is telling people that being upset about this is "petty and dumb" and using phrases like "real homophobia" to perpetuate the same fallacy of relative privation that Shane used.

weatethepopcorn
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by weatethepopcorn »

Was Shane actually “beat up and put in the hospital” though? I know that one time when he was kicked out of a party for being “gay” when he was most likely being drunk. He was not beat up, and did not go to the hospital.

Purple Blood
Informer
Informer

Post by Purple Blood »

weatethepopcorn wrote:Was Shane actually “beat up and put in the hospital” though? I know that one time when he was kicked out of a party for being “gay” when he was most likely being drunk. He was not beat up, and did not go to the hospital.
He said they broke his leg

anastasiya
Lurker
Lurker

Post by anastasiya »

It really pisses me off when people use the "there's bigger issues" excuse when it comes to anything or "real homophobia". It's true, but also irrelevant. I could bring up lgbt people being killed in chechnya as a bigger issue than assault in america. A straight person clickbaited using being gay as a hook. It's hardly revolutionary, just baiting people for views. I wont praise a straight person for being okay with being called a lesbian, it's not an insult. That's just basic human decency. I don't care if she's "got it all her life" I've been called straight all my life and I just correct them and explain.

skittles
Informer
Informer

Post by skittles »

Shane “this is my favorite video” Dawson

This is my favorite Shane Dawson thread yet

PiinkFart
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by PiinkFart »

viewtopic.php?f=309&t=33721

New topic. :))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nillawafer1
Learner
Learner

Post by nillawafer1 »

What's "real homophobia"? Morgan's title was queerbaiting. It's exploitative. What she did is a reflection of homophobic behavior, even if you consider it "petty and dumb" in relation to what "real homophobia" might look like.

I can almost guarantee that the people calling out the homophobia in her video have faced much worse. Yet they still call her out because what she did isn't cool. It's not like there are LGBT people out there facing "real homophobia", and then other LGBT people on here complaining about her video. Homophobia to any degree deserves to be called out, and this isn't excusable just because "worse stuff" happens.

Return to “Shane Dawson”