DoddleOddle/ Dodie Clark pt. 3

PocketPLocket
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: DoddleOddle/ Dodie Clark pt. 3

Post by PocketPLocket »

This new video just pissed me off to be honest.

I agree with betweenthelines, it felt like a video for one thing with a completely different song playing over it. Like when you have another tab open playing music. I hate the fact she saying she had nothing to do with the making of the video when she's always talking about artistic integrity and wants to be taken seriously as an artist, but then she has no hand in the video and seems totally distant from the whole project.

The song has nothing to do with the video and not in a clever way, but in a lazy way where the director obviously wanted to make this film anyway. It's not like the director listened to the song and went "this is the storyboard", this was obviously something he wanted to make and by doing it with this song he got production help. SO SHIT.

I also HATE that it's central characters are black (I'm guessing African American), when Dodie has NO black friends, NO knowledge of the black experience. I think Elle is her only non white friend? To use black characters and make the mother abusive seems SO manipulative and lazy and like her production team are ticking a box and it's really got me fuming.

ETA: Releasing this video so close to Orla releasing her new video and Tessa releasing her new song seems really shady imo. And releasing it on the same day as Ariana Grande's new video is also really stupid as it'll highlight how shit Dodie's video is.

draaaaaaama
Lurker
Lurker
Been thanked: 0

Post by draaaaaaama »

PocketPLocket wrote:I also HATE that it's central characters are black (I'm guessing African American), when Dodie has NO black friends, NO knowledge of the black experience. I think Elle is her only non white friend? To use black characters and make the mother abusive seems SO manipulative and lazy and like her production team are ticking a box and it's really got me fuming.
This was strange to me too. I'm not sure it was done maliciously as in maybe they wanted diversity here bc god knows it's not in anything else she makes lol, but when casting stuff like this I feel like you need to consider what you're...saying. And they didn't do that here. And I don't know if it's Dodie's fault or the director's (Dom?) fault, but...yeah. That stuck out to me too.

PocketPLocket
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by PocketPLocket »

draaaaaaama wrote:
PocketPLocket wrote:I also HATE that it's central characters are black (I'm guessing African American), when Dodie has NO black friends, NO knowledge of the black experience. I think Elle is her only non white friend? To use black characters and make the mother abusive seems SO manipulative and lazy and like her production team are ticking a box and it's really got me fuming.
This was strange to me too. I'm not sure it was done maliciously as in maybe they wanted diversity here bc god knows it's not in anything else she makes lol, but when casting stuff like this I feel like you need to consider what you're...saying. And they didn't do that here. And I don't know if it's Dodie's fault or the director's (Dom?) fault, but...yeah. That stuck out to me too.
I think it's the director being tone deaf, I don't know his background but it doesn't have much relevance to anything and just seems weird. It's also partly Dodie's fault for apparently not caring about this video enough to have any input or preference.

It's not that I think that the family should be white, it just sticks out so much when Dodie's content is, let's face it, very white, and now "angry black mother" and "poor, lonely black child" cliches are the only examples of diversity in her entire oeuvre. Cringe.

ludirudi
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ludirudi »

Came here to wonder out loud about that video? I don't get it?

I like the song - she actually sings louder in this one I think which is nice.

But, the video takes away from the song. It feels so mismatched? And because it is mismatched it pulls away from the song entirely. :?

aaa123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by aaa123 »

draaaaaaama wrote:
MineDressFearless wrote:I like her writing style. She should write something that is not autobiographical
I...disagree, but you might be interested in this: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/392 ... collection
oh boy, where do I begin

1. there are grammar/phrasing errors in that synopsis. the anticipated publishing date is only 4-5 months away. her editors should probably get on that
2. can’t wait for her to likely have a story where she romanticizes mental illness :roll:
3. does dodie even read? genuine question, I feel like I’ve only heard her mention books written by other youtubers she knows
4. that comment about “elevating dodie above her peers” made me cringe. I’m not saying she’s a completely terrible writer, but come on. I’m pretty sure you could have someone walk around a bookstore blindfolded and they’d still choose a book that’s more well-written than anything dodie’s published at this point
5. can’t wait for her to come crawling back to youtube to sell more crap. her minions will eat it up, but that blind adoration will only last for so long. she should be focusing on making content (videos, songs, an actual album) instead of trying to look like an author

Leksa
Talker
Talker

Post by Leksa »

Dodie's video, ah, cool concept, but not for the song and def NOT for Dodie.

What is it with these ~artsy creative deep~ videos she's releasing? Like, they try too hard to make unique ~films~ for her songs that they just don't fit the song or are super confusing.

draaaaaaama
Lurker
Lurker

Post by draaaaaaama »

aaa123 wrote:
draaaaaaama wrote:
MineDressFearless wrote:I like her writing style. She should write something that is not autobiographical
I...disagree, but you might be interested in this: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/392 ... collection
oh boy, where do I begin

1. there are grammar/phrasing errors in that synopsis. the anticipated publishing date is only 4-5 months away. her editors should probably get on that
2. can’t wait for her to likely have a story where she romanticizes mental illness :roll:
3. does dodie even read? genuine question, I feel like I’ve only heard her mention books written by other youtubers she knows
4. that comment about “elevating dodie above her peers” made me cringe. I’m not saying she’s a completely terrible writer, but come on. I’m pretty sure you could have someone walk around a bookstore blindfolded and they’d still choose a book that’s more well-written than anything dodie’s published at this point
5. can’t wait for her to come crawling back to youtube to sell more crap. her minions will eat it up, but that blind adoration will only last for so long. she should be focusing on making content (videos, songs, an actual album) instead of trying to look like an author
lol yeah SO

It says it's being published by Atria/Keywords Press, which are the same ones who published Gabbie Hanna's book, which I haven't read (bc I refuse to spend money on it) but everyone has pretty much agreed it's trash and it has a similar description written by someone trying to make it sound actually important. Basically they only publish Youtuber books. But I guess more interestingly is Dodie's first one was published by I think Penguin? So...they didn't even want whatever this is lol.

You can tell by the way she writes that she doesn't read. I can't even image what her writing fiction looks like. Honestly I think she's too self-obsessed to write a character that isn't her.

pugsypugs
Learner
Learner

Post by pugsypugs »

draaaaaaama wrote:
aaa123 wrote:
draaaaaaama wrote:
You can tell by the way she writes that she doesn't read. I can't even image what her writing fiction looks like. Honestly I think she's too self-obsessed to write a character that isn't her.

I predict every story will have a white, brown-haired girl, so dainty and depressed :(((((

That music video seemed like they tried to have this doctor who vibe, it's all weird.

The backbone of that vid was trust and regaining it which has nothing to do with dodie's "I feel like shirt today tbh"

The video was well made, yes, but it shouldn't be for this song at all.

It's so weird how we never see dodie with someone that's not white- all of her friends are white, and suddenly this clip, featuring an all black cast and she says she has nothing to do with it.

My thoughts are a little fumbled around rn idk if this even makes sense oops

Throwthewindow
Informer
Informer

Post by Throwthewindow »

Ugh she's the most annoying and immature out of her friends :roll:

At 10:48 they just show her laughing for a straight minute over something that wasn't that funny?? Even one the guys was like "c'mon, it's not that good."

Illogic_ally
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Illogic_ally »

Throwthewindow wrote:Ugh she's the most annoying and immature out of her friends :roll:

At 10:48 they just show her laughing for a straight minute over something that wasn't that funny?? Even one the guys was like "c'mon, it's not that good."
God she annoyed me in the video, she was just so obnoxiously attention grabbing, but it’s fine because it’s Dodie and she’s adorable! :roll:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dippydoo
Learner
Learner

Post by dippydoo »

Throwthewindow wrote:Ugh she's the most annoying and immature out of her friends :roll:

4:44 : cue Dodie jumping up and down squawking, "What?? What? What??" like a child for 10 seconds.

"Dodie's just an idiot," made me laugh.

dippydoo
Learner
Learner

Post by dippydoo »

[video][/video]

I thought this video was refreshing. She seems pretty down to Earth here.

Leksa
Talker
Talker

Post by Leksa »

Haven't watched her video so can't really comment, but this in her description made me roll my eyes so hard:
tessa violet's music video made me angry it was so good and i'm not saying that as a joke I literally got jealous
Tessa said she was SUPER involved in her video and it shows, and a lot of work was put into it. Not like... what other artists... are doing... Ahem.

electricpeachybabe
Learner
Learner

Post by electricpeachybabe »

I really liked her new video. She didn't seem to be putting on an act, she was just being a person, and it was really nice. Reminded me of why I began watching her in the first place
:love2: "I can't help it! I'm dumb!" -Jenna Marbles

PocketPLocket
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by PocketPLocket »

So I got her book on Audible as I was curious, had free credits and spend a lot of time commuting!

It's such a strange book. In some bits the kind of advice she gives is the kind you give to very young teenagers/preteens- how to look after your skin (drink water, moisturise, eat better and sleep more, if you were wondering), stuff about having a crush at school. But then suddenly there'll be a chapter about suicide or eating disorders that go into quite heavy detail and seem like they're written for mid to late teens. Who is this book for?! There's even a chapter written by her friend where he quotes her as saying how much she loves 18+ gigs, but then any 12-14 y/os reading this book might feel a bit upset by that? I don't know.

I found the chapter by her friend really strange because it's like a little interlude of someone else saying how great Dodie is, instead of her. Also her manager has a chapter and he spoke so softly it creeped me out lol.

Post by Guest »

Holy crap... Why is Dodie so fucking dramatic about everything that happens in her life???

From her instagram story...

"I'm off to the dentist... I get to learn about when I'm going to be having my wisdom teeth taken out... Up until now I've just been gaining the sympathy and attention of someone who needs wisdom teeth out without actually having to face it.
Am I going to be talking about it a lot? YES! Why? I don't know! I love attention and I'm scared!"

Fucking hell. Getting your wisdom teeth out is NO BIG DEAL. It's a very common dental procedure that nearly everyone I know has gone through. There is absolutely no need to talk about it this much and be so dramatic about it. It's not even worth mentioning more than one time in passing. But she's been going on about it since she found out and says she's going to keep talking about it. WHYYYYY?

draaaaaaama
Lurker
Lurker

Post by draaaaaaama »

tztlcrdg wrote:Holy crap... Why is Dodie so fucking dramatic about everything that happens in her life???

From her instagram story...

"I'm off to the dentist... I get to learn about when I'm going to be having my wisdom teeth taken out... Up until now I've just been gaining the sympathy and attention of someone who needs wisdom teeth out without actually having to face it.
Am I going to be talking about it a lot? YES! Why? I don't know! I love attention and I'm scared!"

Fucking hell. Getting your wisdom teeth out is NO BIG DEAL. It's a very common dental procedure that nearly everyone I know has gone through. There is absolutely no need to talk about it this much and be so dramatic about it. It's not even worth mentioning more than one time in passing. But she's been going on about it since she found out and says she's going to keep talking about it. WHYYYYY?
tbh I feel like "gaining the sympathy and attention of someone who x without actually have to face it" just sums her up really

aaa123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by aaa123 »

why does she think being so attention-seeking is a good thing? she literally has all the resources imaginable at her disposal. it’s time for her to actually put effort into bettering herself and grow the fuck up

onmywayhome
Learner
Learner

DoddleOddle/ Dodie Clark pt. 3

Post by onmywayhome »

making so much negative fuss over that online, not being happy or grateful about being priviliged enough to get such a standard (for first world ppl) procedure for free - or even if she pays, this is still a privilige to do so - in really good conditions like in a clean and safe space, painlessly, in such a short amount of time (my friend had to wait two years in pain to get it though public healthcare) - it is such a first world problem that I cant even...

can she just focus on making music? she is good at that

maybe more musicians that I like are like that in their private lives, but fortunately most of the time they want to keep some things private - to cut it short, professional musicians are popular because of their music and this is enough for them...
queen of typos

I'm not a native English speaker, so I make a lot of mistakes, but I hope you will forgive me <3

awkward_human_being
Learner
Learner

Post by awkward_human_being »

onmywayhome wrote:making so much negative fuss over that online, not being happy or grateful about being priviliged enough to get such a standard (for first world ppl) procedure for free - or even if she pays, this is still a privilige to do so - in really good conditions like in a clean and safe space, painlessly, in such a short amount of time (my friend had to wait two years in pain to get it though public healthcare) - it is such a first world problem that I cant even...

can she just focus on making music? she is good at that

maybe more musicians that I like are like that in their private lives, but fortunately most of the time they want to keep some things private - to cut it short, professional musicians are popular because of their music and this is enough for them...
She should just switch off from IG and Twitter or make someone manage her profiles. I'm sure this is one of the reasons why nobody take her seriously, like for real lol
So many typos I'M SORRY

Return to “DoddleOddle/ Dodie Clark”