General Health & Fitness Chat - Part 2

Re: General Health & Fitness Chat - Part 2

Post by Guest »

wilmadawn wrote:
Le sigh wrote:Outdoor running is so strange. Its really hard, but at the same time, I don’t break a sweat like when i’m on a treadmill :scratch:
Maybe coz on a treadmill i’m on a steady pace?
the wind helps-i don't sweat as much outside either but wait until the summer hits ;)
That might be it! Coz my HR was up there

mughushed
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mughushed »

Hey guys, sorry if this has been answered somewhere before in the thread! Grace Fit UK has recently released a home guide and I'm really looking to buy a guide to use at home when I'm not at uni and therefore have limited access to the gym, but what guides would everyone recommend? I've seen people say Grace's is a rip off for the money you spend on it.

yankydoo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by yankydoo »

mughushed wrote:Hey guys, sorry if this has been answered somewhere before in the thread! Grace Fit UK has recently released a home guide and I'm really looking to buy a guide to use at home when I'm not at uni and therefore have limited access to the gym, but what guides would everyone recommend? I've seen people say Grace's is a rip off for the money you spend on it.
Admittedly I have never bought a fitspo guide but from reading these threads, they seem a waste of money as half the time, the authors aren't even qualified.

I really do think there is a tonne of information on the internet if you search for it. I don't have anything I can point you to in terms of home workouts, but for example, I wanted a 3-day full body gym split and I found one on bodybuilding.com for free.

If you are adamant you want a guide, then maybe someone else can help :D

butterybiscuitspread
Informer
Informer

Post by butterybiscuitspread »

Katie Crewe has a new home guide, I like her ig workouts and her focus on functional workouts. But yeah again she is not qualified so dunno if you want to give her money

Healthyish85
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Healthyish85 »

mughushed wrote:Hey guys, sorry if this has been answered somewhere before in the thread! Grace Fit UK has recently released a home guide and I'm really looking to buy a guide to use at home when I'm not at uni and therefore have limited access to the gym, but what guides would everyone recommend? I've seen people say Grace's is a rip off for the money you spend on it.
i've mentioned Abbie Sterling (corporate_sneakers) before - I promise i am not her or a friend of hers IRL lolll i just really like her - she has home and gym guides and i mention them only because she is actually certified NASM CPT (what a concept!!) and continuing her education this year too. She does charge for her guides but you can try both home and gym for free (three weeks worth) and I guess see if you like it? she recently started a youtube channel just to go in more depth on some of her IG clips regarding form, etc. She's very #lesselfie #moresubstance I know she also tries to respond to all questions.

[shesaidit]
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by [shesaidit] »

Nike Training Club has an app with tons of at home workouts. It seems like they've added a lot more beginner friendly stuff (as when I started using it years ago, they were mostly hr long workouts that had you dripping or a 15 min targeted session), but it's still free and has TONS of new stuff all the time. They do a lot of workouts with famous athletes so that's kinda fun. I think it's preferable to a pdf guide because it has videos of all the exercises and has timers and audio built in to tell you when to switch movements/sides. You can preview the movements before you start a workout to see if you like it. And hey have all sorts of workouts based on the body part/goal you want to achieve and how long you want to workout. Alternatively tons of fitspos have at home workouts on YT or leaked fitspo guides are easy to find. Sometimes I'll drag out the bbg pdf I googled years ago if I just wanna stay home.

ghoulish_babe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ghoulish_babe »

When I worked out at home, I used FitnessBlender videos. I feel like they prepped me well for gym. I still use their warm-ups.

fitnessanstuff
Learner
Learner

Post by fitnessanstuff »

Personally I think its a waste of money to buy a guide from any fitspo that doesnt have their certification. I have never bought a guide but i have *cough* *cough* borrowed just about all of them off of the internet. If you just need a jumping off point in your fitness journey their are plenty of subreddits where people share their guides or you can purchase the pdf off of ebay for like 5 bucks. Is it ethical? No. But neither is charging people out the ass for a bunch of workouts compiled from pinterest so

Post by Guest »

Or search for bbg free online,
https://caramelbeckoning.files.wordpres ... bg-1-0.pdf

There r lots of things one could spend money on, at home workouts should not be one of them. :D Save ur money n use it to buy some equipment. Tkmaxx always has medicine balls/kettle balls resistance bands for cheap.

Another fave, from bodybuilding.com https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/clutch ... ainer.html

aerialmindful
Informer
Informer

Post by aerialmindful »

Why waste money on expensive fitness programs? I use these websites for free AT HOME workouts.

http://www.spotebi.com (free workouts + free programs but some require a membership)

http://www.darebee.com (free workouts + free programs)

http://www.hiitacademy.com (free workouts + an 8 week program that's only $18)

http://www.fitnessblender.com (free workouts + programs that are $6-$15)

aerialmindful
Informer
Informer

Post by aerialmindful »

fitnessanstuff wrote:
Personally I think its a waste of money to buy a guide from any fitspo that doesnt have their certification. I have never bought a guide but i have *cough* *cough* borrowed just about all of them off of the internet. If you just need a jumping off point in your fitness journey their are plenty of subreddits where people share their guides or you can purchase the pdf off of ebay for like 5 bucks. Is it ethical? No. But neither is charging people out the ass for a bunch of workouts compiled from pinterest so
Just go on Instagram & you can find workouts for free

Elizakitty25
Debater
Debater

Post by Elizakitty25 »

Is anyone able to briefly explain to me the point/idea behind bikini competitions? Lots of IG girls seem to do them, go through “prep” etc. Are they basically similar to pageants? I get some of the girls who have visible muscle or an “aesthetic” type of a figure competing but honestly some of these girls just look emaciated- lots of them don’t really have much muscle definition and you can see in their faces they don’t look healthy at all. It basically looks like ridiculously tanned women posing awkwardly in glittery bikinis and being judged for....something? Am I missing the point? I don’t see why it’s so popular for fitspos to do these... it seems a little degrading to me. I’m not educated about this type of body building culture at all so I’m really sorry if I offended anyone there, just wanted to get some more insight into it.

Zomgirl
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Zomgirl »

Elizakitty25 wrote:Is anyone able to briefly explain to me the point/idea behind bikini competitions? Lots of IG girls seem to do them, go through “prep” etc. Are they basically similar to pageants? I get some of the girls who have visible muscle or an “aesthetic” type of a figure competing but honestly some of these girls just look emaciated- lots of them don’t really have much muscle definition and you can see in their faces they don’t look healthy at all. It basically looks like ridiculously tanned women posing awkwardly in glittery bikinis and being judged for....something? Am I missing the point? I don’t see why it’s so popular for fitspos to do these... it seems a little degrading to me. I’m not educated about this type of body building culture at all so I’m really sorry if I offended anyone there, just wanted to get some more insight into it.
Competitions started out as a way to showcase the "art" of the human body. Bodybuilding is very much about proportions, symmetry, looking "aesthetic", etc and you can still see this pretty clearly in more muscular categories (more so with male competitors IMO). Bikini didn't exist until 2009? 2010? It's still a new category and was meant to appeal to a wider range of women. Bikini tends to be viewed as a joke among more serious competitors and even Arnold has insinuated that bikini competitors aren't serious and aren't athletes.

So yes, bikini is basically a beauty pageant. Even the judges can't decide what exactly they're looking for (more muscular vs less muscular, a softer look vs a harder one) which basically means everyone and their mother thinks they're a special snowflake and can compete. Bikini is the least muscular of the divisions. It's become trendy because it appeals to beginners and "typical fit chicks" because it seems attainable, it appeals to girls who "want" that glam life painted on social media and it appeals to disordered girls who use it to justify their behavior. You see so many bikini girls rebound because they do it for the image and for the body, whereas other competitors (figure, phyisque, bodybuilding) do it for the love of training and love of the art form.

Elizakitty25
Debater
Debater

Post by Elizakitty25 »

Zomgirl wrote:
Elizakitty25 wrote:Is anyone able to briefly explain to me the point/idea behind bikini competitions? Lots of IG girls seem to do them, go through “prep” etc. Are they basically similar to pageants? I get some of the girls who have visible muscle or an “aesthetic” type of a figure competing but honestly some of these girls just look emaciated- lots of them don’t really have much muscle definition and you can see in their faces they don’t look healthy at all. It basically looks like ridiculously tanned women posing awkwardly in glittery bikinis and being judged for....something? Am I missing the point? I don’t see why it’s so popular for fitspos to do these... it seems a little degrading to me. I’m not educated about this type of body building culture at all so I’m really sorry if I offended anyone there, just wanted to get some more insight into it.
Competitions started out as a way to showcase the "art" of the human body. Bodybuilding is very much about proportions, symmetry, looking "aesthetic", etc and you can still see this pretty clearly in more muscular categories (more so with male competitors IMO). Bikini didn't exist until 2009? 2010? It's still a new category and was meant to appeal to a wider range of women. Bikini tends to be viewed as a joke among more serious competitors and even Arnold has insinuated that bikini competitors aren't serious and aren't athletes.

So yes, bikini is basically a beauty pageant. Even the judges can't decide what exactly they're looking for (more muscular vs less muscular, a softer look vs a harder one) which basically means everyone and their mother thinks they're a special snowflake and can compete. Bikini is the least muscular of the divisions. It's become trendy because it appeals to beginners and "typical fit chicks" because it seems attainable, it appeals to girls who "want" that glam life painted on social media and it appeals to disordered girls who use it to justify their behavior. You see so many bikini girls rebound because they do it for the image and for the body, whereas other competitors (figure, phyisque, bodybuilding) do it for the love of training and love of the art form.
That was really informative, thank you! :D

aerialmindful
Informer
Informer

Post by aerialmindful »

Is it just me or does Cassey Ho’s (Blogilates) arm workouts seem to easy? Yes, they burn. But I doubt that flapping your arms in the air burns fat or builds any muscle.

PrettyInATeacup

Post by PrettyInATeacup »

hi everyone, new to this forum page! could anyone recommend an app for using in the gym?

something which can show examples of exercise perhaps? and cool downs? thanks if anyone can, im a newbie :love2:

notyourcupoftea
Informer
Informer

Post by notyourcupoftea »

Julestielman wrote:Is it just me or does Cassey Ho’s (Blogilates) arm workouts seem to easy? Yes, they burn. But I doubt that flapping your arms in the air burns fat or builds any muscle.
I used to Like Cassey Ho until I got into lifting. I think she caters more towards women who are afraid of getting "bulky".

ghoulish_babe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ghoulish_babe »

PrettyInATeacup wrote:hi everyone, new to this forum page! could anyone recommend an app for using in the gym?

something which can show examples of exercise perhaps? and cool downs? thanks if anyone can, im a newbie :love2:
I don't know of an app, but I use FitnessBlender warm-ups and cool-downs and databases like this one for exercises: http://weighttraining.guide/category/exercises/

Fitinthemaking
Talker
Talker

Post by Fitinthemaking »

Just came to brag that ive lost 4.4 pounds since april 1st :D <3 I haven't worked out once lol which I know is bad but college is killing me so im happy with the fact that ive still manage to lose that amount and i see it on me.
Ive found that what has helped the most is buying healthy organic low calorie frozen meals cause im the laziest person when it comes to cooking and waiting for a meal to be ready.
I haven't felt bloated once and I feel great.

So yeah, came to brag cause im proud of myself.

aerialmindful
Informer
Informer

Post by aerialmindful »

notyourcupoftea wrote:
Julestielman wrote:Is it just me or does Cassey Ho’s (Blogilates) arm workouts seem too easy? Yes, they burn. But I doubt that flapping your arms in the air burns fat or builds any muscle.
I used to Like Cassey Ho until I got into lifting. I think she caters more towards women who are afraid of getting "bulky".
Yeah, I agree that weights do not make women bulky. Ever since I got into lifting, I find her workouts not as intense. I only do them if I can’t make it to the gym that day.

Return to “Fitness”