Vegan cheeses?

Chiltepin

Vegan cheeses?

Post by Chiltepin »

So I am lactose intolerant and I have always eaten cheese. Way too much cheese. I want to get away from dairy products completely, so I've been looking for vegan cheese options. I may eventually become vegan, I may not, but I know that I am sick and tired of being sick and tired - and that cheese is a culprit.

I tried a supposedly vegan cheese that ended up containing casein. I figured it'd be fine since it's the lactose that bugs me, but go figure the casein stuff is making me feel like I'm dying a slow miserable death.

Anyone know of any vegan cheeses that taste okay and are actually vegan? This stuff was a flop.

dulapeep
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Vegan cheeses?

Post by dulapeep »

Chiltepin wrote:So I am lactose intolerant and I have always eaten cheese. Way too much cheese. I want to get away from dairy products completely, so I've been looking for vegan cheese options. I may eventually become vegan, I may not, but I know that I am sick and tired of being sick and tired - and that cheese is a culprit.

I tried a supposedly vegan cheese that ended up containing casein. I figured it'd be fine since it's the lactose that bugs me, but go figure the casein stuff is making me feel like I'm dying a slow miserable death.

Anyone know of any vegan cheeses that taste okay and are actually vegan? This stuff was a flop.
I'm going to assume you live in the U.S., so I'll just mention brands I know are here! The Trader Joe's vegan mozzarella shreds are really good if you melt them - that's important, otherwise they're awful lol. Field Roast Chao is the absolute BEST though, melted or unmelted.
For soft cheese, I like the Miyoko's Kitchen ones - http://miyokoskitchen.com/products-miyoko/
Kite Hill has a really good cream cheese. For ice cream, Ben & Jerry's makes really good vegan ice cream, so does the So Delicious brand. For mac and cheese, I just made this the other day and it was amazing - http://veganyumminess.com/creamy-vegan-mac-and-cheese/

PM me if you want or need any help! I'm vegan but I love junk food and try to find the best of everything lol.

kayleeee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kayleeee »

Chao is my favorite! I like it mostly for sandwiches. It is really yummy melted for a grilled cheese.
Daiya is pretty good and well known. (I have come to like Chao better) A lot of other companies such as Amy's use it in their frozen meals.

And to add to bubblegum, Kite Hill's cream cheese is nearly identical to real cream cheese. So Delicious ice cream sandwiches are my favorite snack. AND Ben and Jerry's is so creamy! Most vegan ice creams taste so icy.

Nutritional yeast is a pretty good parmesan sub to add and good to add to just about anything.
lazygirlbusyworld.wordpress.com check out my blog

Chiltepin

Post by Chiltepin »

Thank you so much! I am indeed in the US. I will probably avoid Trader Joe's due to the umpteen million recalls, but I'll look for some of these at my local co-op instead! I've had a lot of people just suggest I take lactaid on FB, but due to the negative reaction with this product containing casein I think it may be more than lactose intolerance.

I'd love to go fully vegan, but I'm trying to adjust slowly after a failed attempt at going all the way at once. :( Someday! I just need to keep working at it and keep eliminating things from my diet 'til I'm there!

dulapeep
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by dulapeep »

Chiltepin wrote:Thank you so much! I am indeed in the US. I will probably avoid Trader Joe's due to the umpteen million recalls, but I'll look for some of these at my local co-op instead! I've had a lot of people just suggest I take lactaid on FB, but due to the negative reaction with this product containing casein I think it may be more than lactose intolerance.

I'd love to go fully vegan, but I'm trying to adjust slowly after a failed attempt at going all the way at once. :( Someday! I just need to keep working at it and keep eliminating things from my diet 'til I'm there!
Good luck! I was one of the lucky people who found it easy to go vegan overnight so I can't give much advice on that. My best advice is to try and stop thinking of nonvegan foods as a natural thing we should be eating. I now just get grossed out when I think of cheese and stuff. Finding vegan filler products and good vegan restaurants near you should also help. Other than that though I'm not sure. But like I said, feel free to PM me!

Return to “Diet”