Is Pro ana Shifting To Pro Ftispo

aaronho
Stalker
Stalker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is Pro ana Shifting To Pro Ftispo

Post by aaronho »

Now a days, the pro ana is shifting more towards getting fit instead of getting thin. The mindset of girls towards the term ana is changing ana and fat or obese girls are using ana techniques to get slim and fit. There are several websites like this that are promoting this and helping fat girls get slim and fit using pro ana methods.
The actual number of anorexic patients are now decreasing which is again a very good thing, and most of the pro ana community now includes overweight girls who are willing to use these methods to get slim. I would love to hear thoughts of people on this topic and start a discussion on it.

Pastel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Is Pro ana Shifting To Pro Ftispo

Post by Pastel »

That site is one of the scariest things I've seen in a long time. In some ways it's worse to me than some of the straight up pro ana sites I've visited. And as someone struggling with food myself, the matter-of-factly way the site is written really freaks me out.

I do think there's been a shift to focusing more on health than being thin. Obviously a lot of people still value thinness, but I think people are generally differentiating more between skinny and healthy than they were a few years ago. I think this is largely a good development, because the focus is often on eating well instead of just eating less. Still, I see a lot of "health trends" that seem dangerous to me. For example the juicing trend, which is such an easy way to get yourself into ED territory in my opinion. And of course the fitness gurus are still skinny people who undoubtedly work their angles.

I'm kinda torn on fitspo, and I don't want to make any grand assumptions because I don't think we've seen the full influence yet. Obviously "the ana diet" is horrifying, because it claims to promote fitness and health, and anorexia has never been healthy. I can't see it as anything else than a gateway to a serious eating disorder. I think it's just a new way of covering up your disordered eating, and that's problematic.

dollhouse
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by dollhouse »

I think ana went out of style in like 2012 and fitspo picked up this year/last year ... I'm not 100% sure one replaced the other like back-to-back ...

I think that website is promoting a negative side of fitspo .... I think there is a positive side to fitspo that ana/mia never had

kayleeee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kayleeee »

I can see fitspo possibly crossing the line into almost proana.
I do like to think that the shift to being healthy and body positivity has helped a lot.

However with the hundred of IG fitness models I can see things going back towards pronana/thinspo stuff. I don't even follow fitness models/people because I just get too many negative thoughts.
lazygirlbusyworld.wordpress.com check out my blog

jpopfan10
Learner
Learner

Post by jpopfan10 »

Kind of me similar to this subject, but I follow a lot of fitness gurus on YouTube. These preps they do to be in their competition aren't really healthy at all, I know that it's only supposed to be for a short time but constant counting on the macros and lifting heavy while not eating enough carbs for energy just doesn't sound wise. If they were eating healthy meals I'd understand this better but most of them eat processed food but really limit their servings. I watch them for lifting tips since many of them are personal trainers and I've learned a lot to bring back to the gym, but the prep videos and bulking/cutting in general I'm going to have to avoid.

Return to “Fitness”