ItsWayPastMyBedTime (Carrie Fletcher) Part 2

Disabled Diva
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: ItsWayPastMyBedTime (Carrie Fletcher) Part 2

Post by Disabled Diva »

I can't stand when Youtubers tell their fans not to bring gifts to meet ups but then film a vid fawning over what people give them.

Make up your mind. Either accept gifts and thank people or stick to your guns and don't accept gifts people had to spend money on.

She even said one girl felt like she had to apologise for not bringing her anything. You can't blame her when Carrie sends constant mixed messages to her fans

iambicpulse
Learner
Learner

Post by iambicpulse »

Disabled Diva wrote:I can't stand when Youtubers tell their fans not to bring gifts to meet ups but then film a vid fawning over what people give them.

Make up your mind. Either accept gifts and thank people or stick to your guns and don't accept gifts people had to spend money on.

She even said one girl felt like she had to apologise for not bringing her anything. You can't blame her when Carrie sends constant mixed messages to her fans
Nah, I don't think you're being fair. Carrie doesn't tell people *not* to bring gifts, she says she doesn't *expect* it. And she constantly says that so I don't think you can justify saying that she sends out mixed messages tbh.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

delilahdots
Informer
Informer

Post by delilahdots »

Disabled Diva wrote:I can't stand when Youtubers tell their fans not to bring gifts to meet ups but then film a vid fawning over what people give them.

Yeah I'd agree. The whole don't buy me anything then shouting out people who do...it's mixed messages. Having said that i felt her reactions were genuine and she appreciated what people gave her.

penguins
Talker
Talker

Post by penguins »

Disabled Diva wrote:
Make up your mind. Either accept gifts and thank people or stick to your guns and don't accept gifts people had to spend money
I think in this situation it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't. If she were to stick to the second situation she would be heavily criticised as you would have young kids/teens spending their pocket money on someone who refuses to accepts their gifts. And then she would be seen as evil/ungrateful/rude/up-herself etc.

And as we know with Carrie she doesn't react well to negativity/criticisms.

But I agree with the mixed messages thing

_Katherina_
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by _Katherina_ »

nym wrote:
Also, the way she "advertises" the LGBT+ characters in her book feels a little like queerbaiting to me. I'm not saying they're not well-constructed characters because I haven't read the book, but it seems like she's using them to appeal the LGBGT community and get more people to go and buy the book, or even to be praised on what a good person she is. I don't know, she made a video about it some months ago and then when the book came out she felt the need to tweet a "reminder" about there being LGBT characters in her book again.
Vincent is bisexual in the book and the extent of his bisexuality is about 3 sentences. It literally just says "he was bisexual", something about having had a boyfriend in the past, and that's that. Never mentioned again. You can practically visualise her checklist of all the minorities she wants to include to get those sales up... Including the brown eyed blonde haired white woman minority, of course. :roll:

delilahdots
Informer
Informer

Post by delilahdots »

_Katherina_ wrote:
nym wrote:
Also, the way she "advertises" the LGBT+ characters in her book feels a little like queerbaiting to me. I'm not saying they're not well-constructed characters because I haven't read the book, but it seems like she's using them to appeal the LGBGT community and get more people to go and buy the book, or even to be praised on what a good person she is. I don't know, she made a video about it some months ago and then when the book came out she felt the need to tweet a "reminder" about there being LGBT characters in her book again.
Vincent is bisexual in the book and the extent of his bisexuality is about 3 sentences. It literally just says "he was bisexual", something about having had a boyfriend in the past, and that's that. Never mentioned again. You can practically visualise her checklist of all the minorities she wants to include to get those sales up... Including the brown eyed blonde haired white woman minority, of course. :roll:
Yeah it seemed a bit like her idea of representation was to say this person is bisexual, this person is pansexual, etc. Why not have Vincent have married or settled down with a man after Evie (nearly typed Carrie)? Would it have been that big of a deal to change his wife's name to a mans name? That would have been better, show don't tell after all.

Can't wait for the woman of colour character. I can imagine the description. "Jane Smith is Asian/black/Hispanic/other minority" then no other mention of it.

helia
Informer
Informer

Post by helia »

delilahdots wrote:
Yeah it seemed a bit like her idea of representation was to say this person is bisexual, this person is pansexual, etc. Why not have Vincent have married or settled down with a man after Evie (nearly typed Carrie)? Would it have been that big of a deal to change his wife's name to a mans name? That would have been better, show don't tell after all.
Very good point. When I saw she was going to include characters of different sexualities I feared they would just be token characters. Yet when her followers started praising her for how well she'd worked them into the story, I actually hoped she had done something like you've mentioned, ie. have them be a central part of the plot but have them introduce girlfriends/boyfriends a bit later on. From reading here and some Amazon reviews, however, it seems she's done the lazy thing and simply said, "This person is pan/bi/homosexual". Show not tell, come on!

delilahdots
Informer
Informer

Post by delilahdots »

You know....I could never actually picture Pete as Vincent. Long nose, scruffy black hair, wears a lot of black...to be honest, the first person I think of his Noel Fielding....

Post by Guest »

Anyone else finding Pete a bit too full on lately?

The annoying voices in his vidoes and all the live shows? Just feel like it's being shoved in my face.

ifucsam
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ifucsam »

Doughnutdemon12 wrote:Anyone else finding Pete a bit too full on lately?

The annoying voices in his vidoes and all the live shows? Just feel like it's being shoved in my face.
He's always been a bit full on, but now that he's moved in with Carrie he's gotten worse. He's theatrical and loud and he's trying to cash in on Carrie's fanbase to grow his own.

Bormenthal
Talker
Talker

Post by Bormenthal »

Carrie is like a stalker, but she's so vain that she only stalks herself. A girl on twitter said that she's not a fan of her eyebrows and she didn't even tag Carrie or write her full name, but Carrie found that tweet and had to reply.

Post by Guest »

Yeah I agree he's trying to cash in on Carries fanbase and make his own. Really fed up with the whole Disney obsession. We get it! You both like Disney!

Their whole relationship just seems so fake and forced at times. It's like "Look how in love we are! We are the perfect couple!" Her fans fall for it and think they are so "goals" Urgh! I hate it when people say that. :roll:

kofi
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by kofi »

Ponyboy wrote:Carrie is like a stalker, but she's so vain that she only stalks herself. A girl on twitter said that she's not a fan of her eyebrows and she didn't even tag Carrie or write her full name, but Carrie found that tweet and had to reply.
So pathetic, good lord. Are you telling me she now searches the name Carrie on Twitter to see if someone is talking trash about her? One would think that someone who works her arse off wouldnt have so many free time...

penguins
Talker
Talker

Post by penguins »

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

Ellie1003
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Ellie1003 »

I'm about halfway through OTOS and it is sooooo badly written. An okay idea, a bit too sentimental for me but the writing is just painful. I find myself with a screwed up face at the end of most paragraphs just cringing from how clunky the description is or how LONG the sentences are. Her editor must have been totally absent for the entire thing. It seems like the kind of writing that once written was never looked at again. Not a hint of editing or refining. Literally first draft publishing.

LaFleche
Informer
Informer

Post by LaFleche »

Did anyone already watch her new video?
"I've just realised when I hold this mug in my right hand it looks like it's just a mug with a picture of me on it..." Well yes, we actually kinda believe that you would use such a mug, you autocratic little girl.

But I've just wondered if she also made this video because of the rather bad reviews of OTOS (concerning the setting, the time, etc.)? Talking about flaws a book or a movie can have and loving it nonetheless is like voicelessly saying: "Well, my book has some major flaws - not that I'd admit it - but it shouldn't bother you, you can love it anyway. You are allowed to love it. Love it already!"

Edit: And the ending. Woah. "And I never say this but if you like this video, like it, share it, tweet it..." What's going on?
Not a native English speaker, thank you.

Vernietzsche
Learner
Learner

Post by Vernietzsche »

LaFleche wrote:Did anyone already watch her new video?
"I've just realised when I hold this mug in my right hand it looks like it's just a mug with a picture of me on it..." Well yes, we actually kinda believe that you would use such a mug, you autocratic little girl.

But I've just wondered if she also made this video because of the rather bad reviews of OTOS (concerning the setting, the time, etc.)? Talking about flaws a book or a movie can have and loving it nonetheless is like voicelessly saying: "Well, my book has some major flaws - not that I'd admit it - but it shouldn't bother you, you can love it anyway. You are allowed to love it. Love it already!"

Edit: And the ending. Woah. "And I never say this but if you like this video, like it, share it, tweet it..." What's going on?
I thought exactly the same thing. Fun thing, everytime she does these kind of things in order to defend her stuff it's always SO OBVIOUS. That video was painful to watch, honestly.
Just know that english is not my first language and please be merciful.

kofi
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by kofi »

Well, are *you* a true Hopeful? :rofl:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fuckedoff
Informer
Informer

Post by fuckedoff »

Please God can someone catch that tweet - I vow to always try to be as professional and mature as I possibly can be whilst still being very true to myself. <3

hahahah I am HOWLING

-- Actually, I just read the whole thread of that tweet. A girl is saying that she's rather be happy because professionalism isn't as fun! Which I took quite jokingly, and Carrie has gone on a self-righteous rant about how she is all three - "since when did professionalism equal unhappiness?" fuck off Carrie

Also, the video Bad But Good?
Someone commented saying "setting up for your own book?" which I thought was hilarious. Carrie responded saying "that's a bit.. mean?" DID YOU EVEN LISTEN TO YOUR OWN VIDEO CARRIE. LET PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS

Post by Guest »

:rofl:

Haha oh dear, she really doesn't help herself does she. She just keeps digging herself a bigger hole!

Return to “Carrie Hope Fletcher”