shyguyflys
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Markiplier's Relationships

Post by shyguyflys »

Hi all!

After looking at the main thread for Mark, I realized that a huge chunk of it lately has been dedicated to talk of his past relationships instead of other things going on on his YouTube and life, such as current videos and cons. For the sake of organization, I feel that it is best if all talk that concerns Mark's current and past relationships should be kept here.

Nikittycat
Lurker
Lurker

Re: Markiplier's Relationships

Post by Nikittycat »

Good idea! Thanks for making this. :)

foxymoxxy
Debater
Debater

Post by foxymoxxy »

Fair enough. Sad to say this thread will probably get the most traffic from now on because stalker fangirls, but oh well.

Yeah, my comment was just speculation. My bad you guys. I'm gonna try to avoid phrasing certain things as facts if there isn't supporting evidence :P don't need to fuel the witch hunt for lurkers. I don't really care if they did go together, im glad she's having fun and he's doing.... whatever the hell we just saw today.

shyguyflys
Informer
Informer

Post by shyguyflys »

You're welcome!
I was just trying to be considerate to those who only come to the Mark forum to talk about things OTHER than his relationships. Now, since this topic has a centralized location, they can now come to talk about those other topics on the main thread.

shyguyflys
Informer
Informer

Post by shyguyflys »

The only reason the main Mark thread is so developed is because of this talk. I mean, let's face it, most of us wouldn't be here if it wasn't for this topic.

BunTheMarkiBunny
Learner
Learner

Post by BunTheMarkiBunny »

I'm so happy to have this made!!
Hi :HK:
I haven't been on here in like 4 years omg
PLEASE ignore my username i made it when i was younger

foxymoxxy
Debater
Debater

Post by foxymoxxy »

True...I wouldn't be surprised if more lurkers come up out the woodwork to join in now.

shyguyflys
Informer
Informer

Post by shyguyflys »

Lurkers have been popping on the thread like crazy in the past three days on the main threads because of this topic alone.

Also, the "yandere" shirt that Mark is sporting is not to match the guest and was not custom made. I was informed that these shirts were being sold in bulk.

shyguyflys
Informer
Informer

Post by shyguyflys »

https://www.facebook.com/creatorsguildofficial

Here's the link to the vendor who was selling her shirt.

foxymoxxy
Debater
Debater

Post by foxymoxxy »

So he most likely bought it just because of the game's influence on him lol still don't get why people on tumblr think he's suddenly disturbed. Drama club over there

BunTheMarkiBunny
Learner
Learner

shyguyflys wrote:Lurkers have been popping on the thread like crazy in the past three days on the main threads because of this topic alone.

Also, the "yandere" shirt that Mark is sporting is not to match the guest and was not custom made. I was informed that these shirts were being sold in bulk.
Ohh... okay that makes much more sense now. But they must have been going into the store together right? They both have bought at least one thing from there. I am also pointing out that one says 00 and one says 01. Not like it matters much since they were sold like that but still.

M0nkeeButt2590
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by M0nkeeButt2590 »

foxymoxxy wrote:So he most likely bought it just because of the game's influence on him lol still don't get why people on tumblr think he's suddenly disturbed. Drama club over there
Tumblr is a bit oversensitive at times. Look at how every time he makes a vlog they start crying. I guess I'm different, I was never that emotional as a teen, especially over a celebrity.

moran
Informer
Informer

Post by moran »

BunTheMarkiBunny wrote: Ohh... okay that makes much more sense now. But they must have been going into the store together right? They both have bought at least one thing from there. I am also pointing out that one says 00 and one says 01. Not like it matters much since they were sold like that but still.
They sure bought them together but the numbers, as far as I can see, are all the same on every shirt so I don't think they mean something. Anyway, I do think that they are together, wherever they are lol ('cause you know, filler videos).

boldnewtaste
Informer
Informer

Post by boldnewtaste »

moran wrote:
BunTheMarkiBunny wrote: Ohh... okay that makes much more sense now. But they must have been going into the store together right? They both have bought at least one thing from there. I am also pointing out that one says 00 and one says 01. Not like it matters much since they were sold like that but still.
They sure bought them together but the numbers, as far as I can see, are all the same on every shirt so I don't think they mean something. Anyway, I do think that they're are together, wherever they are lol ('cause you know, filler videos).
it's all very possible that they're spending time together. only reassuring thing is that she had a friend with her... at least at one point. i will be curious to see how this develops.

ritzcrackerz
Debater
Debater

Post by ritzcrackerz »

Well, the ex tweeted about 15 minutes ago on her cosplay page that she'll be posting a vlog from the con. So, I guess until then, we'll have to wait and see what she posts.

BunTheMarkiBunny
Learner
Learner

moran wrote:
They sure bought them together but the numbers, as far as I can see, are all the same on every shirt so I don't think they mean something. Anyway, I do think that they are together, wherever they are lol ('cause you know, filler videos).
True. That's why I said that it probably doesn't matter much.

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans »

kei wrote:Hey folks, another lurker coming out of the woodwork to weigh in on this. (I'm sensing a trend.) I normally stand back and wait for the storm to blow itself out with these things, but this is what, his third storm of the year? Fourth? Indy Popcon seems like it was the first tangible evidence to him of just how big everything has become. He essentially broke the convention by sheer numbers alone, and despite staying hours longer than he was scheduled they still turned folks away. That had to be equal parts flattering and terrifying.

I was surprised no one had mentioned the Sonic thing on Twitter a day ago. Most folks didn't even know about it until the video he posted today. Have to wonder if he's aware people know about them now and this is his way of trolling them? Not that cosplaying is a bad thing, but the timing is strange. Everything about that video is strange. And honestly, it's the first ever video of his that I find myself refusing to watch, just because the pics alone have a whole "weird" vibe. Not the good weird, it's the disturbing weird. The "I've been getting progressively more concerned since the 8 million reaction video, where he seemed more frustrated than happy" weird. Yeah, he probably thinks it's funny. Hell, it might be funny. Maybe he thinks he's a walking meme machine now. I'll never know. But it looks more like a train wreck, and god knows we see enough of those.

Also have to wonder if the issue stems mainly from her perceived intolerance of his subscribers and mods. I say "perceived" because I've never really seen anything on her social media to give that impression; she's pretty quiet there overall. Again, I'm pretty new to this, so I don't know much about the previous stuff. It's a difficult position for him to be in, where he continually expresses gratitude for his subscribers when he's seen with a girl whom others apparently believe wishes they would all disappear. And before people ask for links, no, I don't know; I wasn't here for the "mod fight" or the semi-public breakup, though I believe the latter should have been private. I respect him for trying to keep it private, but I also don't hold her responsible, since people in a bad space with access to a public platform will often make bad decisions. All I know about the mod issue is from an old blog post by one of his former moderators, who had said his other mods only discovered they were no longer mods by logging into his chat and noticing their privileges were revoked after she had expressed a desire to have them removed. I won't link to the post because it mentions her by name, but it's easy enough to find.

Bottom line, Hollywood celebrities tend to have an entire team of PR experts and spin doctors to help them maintain their public image regardless of reality. YouTubers don't really get that luxury, and have to do damage control by themselves. He's a 26-year-old dude who used to be a younger dude that only wanted to make people happy. Not only did it work, I think it worked a little too well and now he's not sure how to deal with a subscriber base that swelled far beyond what he ever expected or was prepared for. It's just unfortunate that, while his "crew" (and I include Jack in there now) successfully managed to include their significant others in their online work, he can't (and probably never will) because part of his marketing tactic is exuding an aura of availability. He's a freaking genius when it comes to branding...not so much with personal boundaries.

I had more to say, but I'm forgetting right now. :P Everyone knows he's offbeat, usually in a good way. So for long-time subscribers to genuinely be worried about him after this...eh, there might actually something valid behind it. All I know is, if I came across his latest videos now for the first time instead of even a few months back, I wouldn't have subscribed. And that actually hurts me to say, believe me. Despite everything his opponents take issue with, he seems like someone who genuinely wants to make the world a better place, and that means something in this jaded world. That's why recent events only make this more upsetting. :|

Maybe a lot of it is his underage fans wanting to be his mother or whatever misguided or creepy reason, or he suddenly decided trolling his viewers is a good thing. Maybe he's just "trying new things" as one tumblr post put it, but if the subscriber base you rely on is suddenly scrambling to rationalize or justify your actions, you might want to rethink your strategy.
Quoting this from the main thread because I think it bears repeating, but I mostly wanted to respond to the part in bold. His brand, which I'm calling "sexy-voice-always-single-gamer-mcgee," :rofl: will only perpetuate his fanbase's immaturity. Is it possible to change this? I don't know. Maybe it's too late for that. Still...if he stopped with the fanservice and started being upfront with his fans (you know, extending courtesy to the people who you repeatedly say "changed your life" to the point of tears), maybe things would get better. But if he had a choice, I don't know if he would change his image. It's probably an awesome ego boost to know that scores of teenagers would swoon over you.

That's a good point about his crew including their significant others in their YT lives. Bob and Mandy started a Twitch show together, and I think she pops up in his livestreams, too. Wade's gf Molly does regular livestreams. Jack's gf Wiishu draws a lot of fan art. I really like what I've seen from all three of them so far, and fans have mostly been respectful towards them...but then again none of them are in a relationship with someone who's brand is largely built around availability, as you said @kei. If Mark wants to do the same as his friends (which would be super interesting to see, not gonna lie), his public image/brand needs some serious changing first.

foxymoxxy
Debater
Debater

Post by foxymoxxy »

I highly doubt she's gonna film him. She's probably just gonna point the camera around at everything at the con. She hardly has shown her face, which is part of connecting to an audience as a vlogger, your expressions! So hopefully when she returns to AZ she'll do at least weekly vlogs in her home. It's important to keep filming, even if it's just one a week. Otherwise the connection will continue to be lost.

boldnewtaste
Informer
Informer

Post by boldnewtaste »

Kierans wrote:...but then again none of them are in a relationship with someone who's brand is largely built around availability
that, right there.

i mean, i guess if that's you're whole schtick, whatever, to each their own, it's definitely not the most tasteful method of business but whatever... but don't deceive people and don't do that to the people who have relationships with (unless they're 100% willing and able to do that)

Dragonmax
Informer
Informer

Post by Dragonmax »

Kierans wrote:
kei wrote:
(...)

Quoting this from the main thread because I think it bears repeating, but I mostly wanted to respond to the part in bold. His brand, which I'm calling "sexy-voice-always-single-gamer-mcgee," :rofl: will only perpetuate his fanbase's immaturity. Is it possible to change this? I don't know. Maybe it's too late for that. Still...if he stopped with the fanservice and started being upfront with his fans (you know, extending courtesy to the people who you repeatedly say "changed your life" to the point of tears), maybe things would get better. But if he had a choice, I don't know if he would change his image. It's probably an awesome ego boost to know that scores of teenagers would swoon over you.

That's a good point about his crew including their significant others in their YT lives. Bob and Mandy started a Twitch show together, and I think she pops up in his livestreams, too. Wade's gf Molly does regular livestreams. Jack's gf Wiishu draws a lot of fan art. I really like what I've seen from all three of them so far, and fans have mostly been respectful towards them...but then again none of them are in a relationship with someone who's brand is largely built around availability, as you said @kei. If Mark wants to do the same as his friends (which would be super interesting to see, not gonna lie), his public image/brand needs some serious changing first.
You are all correct. Mark could've introduced his SO to his viewers, but he felt that his selling point was being Mr. Fan Service... Without that, he might feel that his viewership will go down. But underneath it all, Mark is still a funny guy with lots of wit and that's what got him viewers way back when he started. He has to tone done the fan service a bit, I guess.
foxymoxxy wrote:I highly doubt she's gonna film him. She's probably just gonna point the camera around at everything at the con. She hardly has shown her face, which is part of connecting to an audience as a vlogger, your expressions! So hopefully when she returns to AZ she'll do at least weekly vlogs in her home. It's important to keep filming, even if it's just one a week. Otherwise the connection will continue to be lost.
I read in one of her tweets one time that she thinks facing a camera and rambling felt awkward. Unless she's gonna do shit a la ChaoticMonki*, she definitely needs to show her face since she'll be in the cosplay scene.

*And obviously I don't think she is gonna do it that way lol.

Return to “Markiplier”