Curly Hair?

idontknow

Re: Curly Hair?

Post by idontknow »

I have in between 2A and 2B. I used to straighten my hair every single day, but when it got really damaged, I cut it and I only straighten it occasionally. I brush my hair after the shower when it's wet, and that's the only time if I leave it curly. I use leave-in conditioner to help keep the frizz down and hold curls better.

lacrymosa
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by lacrymosa »

I'm a 2B but my hair is thick. I wash it about 2 times a week with whatever i have at the time. I use the macadamia oil comb and don't really have any tangle issues from using it. I never put any heat on it at all and let it dry naturally (essential i comb it when it's wet). I put a leave in conditioner in it when it's wet and that's all i ever do to it. (right now it's a hair butter from the body shop, a godsend!)

I went through a stage where i'd be fussy and only use certain brands, i've tried sulfate/silicone free, co-washing, 'natural' methods like vinegar and baking powder, doing ridiculously tedious masks everytime i washed my hair, sleeping with a cap on etc but i honestly find nothing i did ever really made a difference overall. I just stick to the regular shampoo and conditioner routine now (i do still use castor oil pre-shampoo every now and then or those conditioners you leave in for 5 mins) I find that its much easier to manage now it's longer because it seems to weigh itself down. When it was shorter i used to straigten it because it would just puff up into a frizzy mess but now it's about half way down my back and i don't have any issues at all. I'm finally at a stage where i love my curly hair :D

freckles mcgee
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by freckles mcgee »

I'm more of 2C. When I shower I like to use a really moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. I currently really like the Loreal Damage Repair line. I also do hair masks a couple times a week to help smooth my hair. After I shower I use a leave-in conditioner (the one I use is the Loreal Nourishing Leave in Creme) and comb it through and then let it air dry. I've started to stay away from products for curly hair because I've found that they just make my hair crunchy. I like to use products that aim towards moisturizing and getting rid of frizz.

I've used the tangle teezer and I like to use it when my hair is very wet. If my hair is dry at all it breaks up my curls and makes it into a wavy mess. Or I use it when I've taken a shower at night and have fallen asleep with wet hair because it just turns into a huge knot. I usually just stick to a comb any other time though.

I also used to always straighten my hair everyday and one day I realized that with straight hair it looked like I was wearing a wig and it didn't suit my face shape at all. Now I wear my hair natural or if I do heat styling I curl it for looser curls.

Cococcino
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Cococcino »

What's your curl type?
I'm a 4a/4b mix.

How do you detangle it? Any detangling products to recommend?
For detangling, I separate my soaking wet hair into smaller sections with hair clips, coat each section with LOTS of conditioner, and detangle each section with my Denman brush. I wouldn't say you really need any fancy products. I just use a cheapie conditioner with lots of slip (Suave, Herbal Essences, etc.) to detangle, and before I used the Denman I just used a wide tooth comb.

Do you use the "plopping" method?
My hair's a kinkier texture, so plopping doesn't really do anything for me.

Have you gone to any of those salons especially for curly hair (Ouidad, Devachan)?
No, but I've always been curious about the Devachan salons! I hear they treat you to scalp massages while they wash your hair! :love2: I've only been to a salon once for a hair cut. I don't go to salons because: I'm a student and can't afford to spend money on salon appointments, stylists (in my area anyway) really don't know what they're doing when it comes to my hair texture, and most of the things these stylists do for their clients I can do myself. Why pay for a wash and trim when I can do it myself for free? :D (I'm really, really cheap, lol).

Have any of you tried the tangle teezer?
I used to use the Tangle Teezer to detangle when my hair was much shorter, but as it grew I found the TT to be more difficult to use because my hair was SO thick and after a while I actually ended up breaking the thing! So, I decided to switch to the Denman because it had such great reviews and I have to say I like it a lot more than the TT. It's a lot sturdier and the bristles clump curls really well.

catallena_luna
Lurker
Lurker

Post by catallena_luna »

TheStrokes wrote:I'm curious about how ya'll care for your curly hair?
I've decided to stop going to the salon, straightening my hair, and forgo any heat as I feel like I'm losing my curl pattern. :(
What's your curl type? I found mine here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types Pretty cool.
How do you detangle it? Any detangling products to recommend?
Do you use the "plopping" method?
Have you gone to any of those salons especially for curly hair (Ouidad, Devachan)?
Have any of you tried the tangle teezer?
Feel free to share pictures, tips or tricks, or any other experiences.
I have hair between 2c and 3a

yteri
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by yteri »

I have 3b hair but unfortunately tends to get drier and frizzier towards the back. It looks like a black, messier and frizzier version of Bernadette Peters but longer (I can't really visualise lengths in measurements so say like just underneath the nipple length haha). I used to straighten it religiously which fried it so over a year ago I decided to do a sort of mini big chop (medium chop?) so rather than cutting my hair very short to start again, I cut my at the time butt length hair to bra strap level.

I'm pretty lazy with my hair, to detangle all I do is brush it with a tangle teezer then in the shower I finger comb through my hair whilst it's being wet. I don't swear by any particular products, rather I'll just use whatever shampoo and conditioner is on offer in the supermarket and work with that otherwise it starts getting very expensive. However, there are certain brands I am more partial to and others I'm not so. For example I really like using certain Lush products (look for my thread in the Lush thread for curly hair :D ) and Aussie but I try avoid generally lower end brands like Alberto Balsam which does nothing for me but strip it of moisture. This is something most people don't discuss which is irritating but I prefer to wash my hair at night because where I live it is very cold and getting up extra early when I'm still half asleep to strip naked and wash in cold water. I'll wash and condition my hair every night as my hair just goes out of shape and very dry if I leave it for the next day, even if I use additional products like leave in conditioner. Like I mentioned, where I live it is very cold so I find that using satin/silk pillows like how people recommend to avoid frizziness isn't comfortable as they get cold so I can't really pineapple with much success and I've never understood plopping. Instead, I've been following this Youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsGuWokn47A) and sleeping with it in that style. Then I'll take it out in the morning and it'll dry whilst I get ready. I'll also use some leave in conditioner once I take it out when it's about 60% dry.

GobbyHermit
Informer
Informer

Post by GobbyHermit »

I had 3c hair, thick cork screw natural curls that needed no products or hair styling appliances which was amazing because I'd just twirl my hair with my fingers. It's been 4 years since I've last straightened my hair and now I'm losing my curls.
I've had a look on YT for tutorials but I feel there's nothing for me. Plopping (just had a look) isn't for me either since I wash my hair in the mornings and it looks uncomfortable.
I guess I'll be buying a silk/satin pillowcase asap then. To detangle I use a wide tooth comb and I use a hair mask at least once a month. My hair is now 3a....I miss my 3c curls so I've recently invested in all the John Frieda Dream Curl range and a diffuser and some small velcro hair rollers and bendy hair rollers for emergencies. I may have to buy a curling wand if I don't get these babies back :help:

Latin-spice
Debater
Debater

Post by Latin-spice »

Hi, I may be late to the discussion but here it goes. I have type 3b with fine hair and I have always had issues finding the right products that wouldn't weigh my hair down or make it look greasy. By sheer luck I came across a brand called mark Anthony, it's a yellow tube around $6.99 in rite aid and it has really been a god send. I like to add coconut oil directly to the shampoo, it make sit really lather up for some reason. The styling products give great definition with the crunch too! I also use the satin pillow case and try not to comb or brush my hair when it's dry. Hope my tips come in handy ;)

whatisgoingon22
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by whatisgoingon22 »

Gardar
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Gardar »

I apologize for bumping this old thread, but I would like to share my experience in this matter, since when I was looking for good advice on this topic for myself.
I have difficult curly dry frizzy hair and of all the shampoos/conditioners etc only products
absolutely amazing results but it is expensive, got it before my wedding to try and sort out my hair for the big day and it did the job, had not been able to bring myself to spend that much money on hair products ontil after 2nd baby, DH asked why had my hair gone crazy and what had I done to sort it out before when I explained he said he would get it for me as a present. So loving my curly non frizzy controllable hair at the moment.
Natural locks is the cheaper supermarket line they have, never tried it but the reviews say its as good as the salon line.I bought mine online, if you sign up to their newsletter they do 20% off deals for pretty much any excuse summer, autumn, mothers day, etc.
As for a good curly hair hairdresser
Amy in Ivory, Cathedral Place, Limerick cuts curly hair really well. Looks great for ages whether you straighten it or leave it natural. Works only part time (fri and sat as far as I can remember).
There are a lot of cool videos on YouTube, here’s one of them. Good luck
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by tar on Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed old clickable link

sebbe
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by sebbe »

I use coconut oil for my long curly hair. It works so good for me. you should try it gurl

Hannah156
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Hannah156 »

Oh, I use Gliss Kur spray and hair balm, because I can't brush hair any other way after washing my hair :D and than I do not use hair dryer...

waltonreynolds
Stalker
Stalker

Post by waltonreynolds »

Yep. I usually condition my curly hair with coconut oil. An essential oil that is easy to find without being too expensive like other hair care products. However, I have an interest in split ends repair products. Can anyone advise me?tiny fishing unblocked

Yetta
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Yetta »

You can't repair split ends. The only remedy is to trim them off. Their are products that make them look they they aren't split, but they will continue to split. Trim them off.

sophia9stevens
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by sophia9stevens »

The reason for this is that the curly hair strands are surrounded by a natural protective protein layer. The shape and size of each hair follicle is different, which means that each type of hair has its own unique shape, diameter, and thickness. The cuticle is made of several layers, and its job is to protect the hair from damage and strand breakage.

Return to “Hair Care”