Authortube: Part 6

pensandthreads
Informer
Informer

Re: Authortube: Part 6

Post by pensandthreads »

QueenoftheCookie wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:57 pm
She may say she has to clean up or the kids, all these excuses but she doesn't make it a priority to sit-down and write. She has all this momentum from NANO, so now she's going to take a "break." Are you serious? You haven't seriously written for most of the year and if she applied herself to NANO she would've at least had double her finishing word count.
This is what's really so baffling about the NANO hype. I get the motivation in wanting to do it when you have a day job and just don't really have the chance to carve out that time and the community behind it ... but 50,000 words in an entire month (when you preplanned for it, want this to be your career, your only other responsibilities are ones you invent for yourself since you don't have a regular job etc) is just not that much. It's only 1500-2000 words a day on average. That's not a massive accomplishment that justifies a significant break and self care session like she's doing here.

Then there's so many authortubers who spend many more hours a day leading up planning out their schedules and other goals only to drop off within the first few week and dramatically 'forgive' themselves for accepting it's not going to happen this year. Which is fine but it's such an odd thing when you consider these are people who are constantly selling writing advice commentary and taking about their writing processes when it's so painfully obvious they can't be bothered to write.

WriteByTheMoon
Informer
Informer

Post by WriteByTheMoon »

pensandthreads wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:22 pm
QueenoftheCookie wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:57 pm
She may say she has to clean up or the kids, all these excuses but she doesn't make it a priority to sit-down and write. She has all this momentum from NANO, so now she's going to take a "break." Are you serious? You haven't seriously written for most of the year and if she applied herself to NANO she would've at least had double her finishing word count.
This is what's really so baffling about the NANO hype. I get the motivation in wanting to do it when you have a day job and just don't really have the chance to carve out that time and the community behind it ... but 50,000 words in an entire month (when you preplanned for it, want this to be your career, your only other responsibilities are ones you invent for yourself since you don't have a regular job etc) is just not that much. It's only 1500-2000 words a day on average. That's not a massive accomplishment that justifies a significant break and self care session like she's doing here.

Then there's so many authortubers who spend many more hours a day leading up planning out their schedules and other goals only to drop off within the first few week and dramatically 'forgive' themselves for accepting it's not going to happen this year. Which is fine but it's such an odd thing when you consider these are people who are constantly selling writing advice commentary and taking about their writing processes when it's so painfully obvious they can't be bothered to write.
YES! I completely agree! Depending on your usual pace, 50k can be a long haul though and I can see taking a few days off before getting back at it...but they don't just take a few days and get back to it. It snowballs into months until they realize oh shit, it's almost April and Camp, I need to start selling writing advice again.

JackieOfTrades
Informer
Informer

Post by JackieOfTrades »

For NaNo, I can understand 50K is a tall order for those who have a full time job and can only write on weekends. Those are the ones that most need to plan out their month, or weekends. But for anyone writing "full time" there is just no effin' excuse. I know authors who have had a full time job, and still have managed to average 40-50K month after month, for months on end, only taking "time off" from writing for summer etc. So for Sarra, Kate and everyone crying about having "so much" on their plate, I have absolutely no sympathy for them not writing or finishing a project for months and years.

As for Sarra needing "recovery time" I have a theory. She wrote herself into a corner and has no idea what happens next, and needs to go back and fix some issues, only she's dragging her feet because that's just too much work. Every time. She goes on and on about plotting and scene cards and character sheets and whatnot, and still she effs up and has to make changes, do rewrites or simply throws away thousands of words because she didn't like them.

And Kate? She'll keep bouncing between her projects and "super sekret" pen names and never actually finish anything. I don't think she's published anything. I'm just not buying it. She has some weird claim about wanting to sell organically or some bull like that, but I don't believe her. She doesn't want to tell because there is nothing to tell about. Just half-finished projects galore.

Even if Kennedy Fox books aren't exactly my cup of tea, I'll gladly catch Courtney's YT videos any day of the week. At least she's writing and publishing, and can tell us about the process. She had a full time job, and STILL busted ass to get those books out. She's dedicated, and all issues aside, I can respect that.

WriteByTheMoon
Informer
Informer

Post by WriteByTheMoon »

Tbf though...what writer hasn't thrown out thousands of words? 😅

sufficientcontact
Informer
Informer

Post by sufficientcontact »

there comes a point with these author-influencers where it's really obvious they don't give a shit about writing a book. there's a whole community of tiktok writers that are the same way, where they make video after video talking about their process and filming all this whimsical bullshit about their writing spaces, their bookshelves, their notebooks, their notes, etc etc, but it's been years that they're writing one book and nothing gets done. and that's pretty harmless, whatever, but it gets so old to watch.

it's like people cosplay the author lifestyle by designing aesthetic spaces, collecting office items, filming moody vids of them writing, without actually...doing the author part. who is the audience for that, really?

anonymousranter
Learner
Learner

Post by anonymousranter »

My theory about the "super sekret" pen names is that she doesn't want an iWriterly saga where people read her stuff and find out she can't write. That is if she is publishing at all. And if she is secretly publishing then she doesn't have to prove she is a good writer by showing sales numbers.

I think Sarra definitely writes herself into corners and plotholes. But I think that happens when you don't have a clear ending set from the beginning and you drag things out longer than you should. Is she really just that inspired or does she just not want to end the series that made her money? I would be scared to end it too because to start another series you have to be able to keep an audience by publishing books quickly.

And yeah, I think a lot of people want to be writers for the aesthetics of it all. I just can't imagine having the audacity to act like an authority on a subject without anything to back it up.

saine99
Lurker
Lurker

Post by saine99 »

anonymousranter wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:47 pm
My theory about the "super sekret" pen names is that she doesn't want an iWriterly saga where people read her stuff and find out she can't write. That is if she is publishing at all. And if she is secretly publishing then she doesn't have to prove she is a good writer by showing sales numbers.
If she is publishing, she could still generalize her numbers. She could say how much she made and how much she spent on expenses like editing and marketing, along with her other sources of revenue like Patreon and Youtube. Not exact numbers, but at least something to show that she's publishing.

And if she's not making as much off her secretly published books, it'd help people to hear that. She isn't relying solely on books for revenue, which is good. It'd also help show how her journey is going since not everyone will be a success right away. Plus with everyone selling how to make money off self-publishing, it would help set more realistic expectations even if it doesn't help sell the lifestyle.

I was thinking the iWriterly aspect too for Kate. I get not wanting her book to be the subject of multiple book snark reviews, I wouldn't want that for my book either. But now she's in the situation where she looks like she's only doing more revisions upon revisions of Project Death without making any progress in her career because she won't share anything about her secret publishing. If she is publishing, since she's the only one who knows for sure that she is publishing.

JackieOfTrades
Informer
Informer

Post by JackieOfTrades »

WriteByTheMoon wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:08 pm
Tbf though...what writer hasn't thrown out thousands of words? 😅
True. But I've never thrown out 30K words all at once because all I wrote was shit and I knew it was shit as I was writing...

JackieOfTrades
Informer
Informer

Post by JackieOfTrades »

sufficientcontact wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:36 pm
there comes a point with these author-influencers where it's really obvious they don't give a shit about writing a book. there's a whole community of tiktok writers that are the same way, where they make video after video talking about their process and filming all this whimsical bullshit about their writing spaces, their bookshelves, their notebooks, their notes, etc etc, but it's been years that they're writing one book and nothing gets done. and that's pretty harmless, whatever, but it gets so old to watch.

it's like people cosplay the author lifestyle by designing aesthetic spaces, collecting office items, filming moody vids of them writing, without actually...doing the author part. who is the audience for that, really?
At first glance, sure, the aesthetics can pull in new viewers, but if there is nothing of substance, a lot of those viewers don't stick around. And it becomes a chase to get new viewers all the while not having time to write because you gotta keep the algorythm happy. And how many times can you hear about their "process" without seeing what they're actually doing? This is why I watch less and less of authortube etc. It gives me nothing but frustrations.

JackieOfTrades
Informer
Informer

Post by JackieOfTrades »

anonymousranter wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:47 pm

I think Sarra definitely writes herself into corners and plotholes. But I think that happens when you don't have a clear ending set from the beginning and you drag things out longer than you should. Is she really just that inspired or does she just not want to end the series that made her money? I would be scared to end it too because to start another series you have to be able to keep an audience by publishing books quickly.
If KC is publishing, you could be right. But other than some vague and random mentions of publishing, she shares nothing! Not even a little! But with how many times she circles back to the same old projects, I don't think she has published. I'm confused about KC.

I'm also confused by Sarra's inability to write the final book in her series since she claims she has this whole new series she's excited to write. I get that letting go of the familiar is hard, but isn't she tired of being a failure like she has for the past few years? Isn't she tired of people killing her in reviews because she takes forever?

No wonder I have trust issues!

JackieOfTrades
Informer
Informer

Post by JackieOfTrades »

saine99 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:52 pm
If she is publishing, she could still generalize her numbers. She could say how much she made and how much she spent on expenses like editing and marketing, along with her other sources of revenue like Patreon and Youtube. Not exact numbers, but at least something to show that she's publishing.

And if she's not making as much off her secretly published books, it'd help people to hear that. She isn't relying solely on books for revenue, which is good. It'd also help show how her journey is going since not everyone will be a success right away. Plus with everyone selling how to make money off self-publishing, it would help set more realistic expectations even if it doesn't help sell the lifestyle.

I was thinking the iWriterly aspect too for Kate. I get not wanting her book to be the subject of multiple book snark reviews, I wouldn't want that for my book either. But now she's in the situation where she looks like she's only doing more revisions upon revisions of Project Death without making any progress in her career because she won't share anything about her secret publishing. If she is publishing, since she's the only one who knows for sure that she is publishing.
Yes! I don't need to know the details, but some real world information is more helpful than watching her make coffee and type on a loud keyboard. I can watch myself make coffee every day and listen to my own loud keyboard make the clickety-clacky noise as I type.

I started watching authortube for inspiration on my own writing journey, instead I've turned to conspiracies and annoyed with authortubers. LOL I still also think there is something fishy about George. He gives me the heebie-jeebies.

anonymousranter
Learner
Learner

JackieOfTrades wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:47 am
saine99 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:52 pm

Yes! I don't need to know the details, but some real world information is more helpful than watching her make coffee and type on a loud keyboard. I can watch myself make coffee every day and listen to my own loud keyboard make the clickety-clacky noise as I type.

I started watching authortube for inspiration on my own writing journey, instead I've turned to conspiracies and annoyed with authortubers. LOL I still also think there is something fishy about George. He gives me the heebie-jeebies.
I will never not give George the side eye. Lol.

I'm with you. I started watching authortube to improve my writing and learn how to publish if I ever have an original idea...I'm still having fun with fanfiction. And all I have learned is that you have to be a salesman to self-publish which I am not and that no one will tell you the exact steps to get traditionally published. I don't want to spend all my time on social media, editing videos, and making newsletters. And I feel like anyone who is trad published gatekeeps and makes it sound impossible so why even try?

Now, I won't lie. I enjoy fandom drama as long as it does not involve me. Conspiracies are entertaining to me and I will eat them up. But I would also like to have some authortubers to follow that aren't just bullshitting positivity and making excuses on why it's okay not to have your work done. It's not okay to put responsibilities to the side for self-care all the time. That's for when you are at your breaking point. I don't think people know how to push through and achieve. Or even just prioritize and sacrifice so that you don't get to the breaking point.

I don't understand how Sarra can't schedule 3 hours to write and 2 hours for her courses every day. That's a 5-hour workday. And that's not possible? Why is she only getting to writing at 9 pm? If she had consistent office hours where she was not to be interrupted then she would get soooo much done. She gets a lot done when she takes that time. And with only 3 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon, she could still have time to do everything George doesn't and spend time with the kids.

KC lives near me. I wish she would host a writing meet-up. I would drive a while just to meet her in person so I could get a read on her. but if she reads here she probably never will now. It's not that I don't like her, I just want to gauge her sincerity. Like I know Sarra has a thick veneer of a fake personality. You can tell just from her trying to be a self-help guru. I want to believe that KC is genuine and just burnt out from youtube and struggling.

WriteByTheMoon
Informer
Informer

Post by WriteByTheMoon »

Despite everything, I still like Sarra and have notifications on for her videos. I sincerely hope it's not all an act.
The only reason I side eye George is what guy will say to his new wife "you stay home and try to write for a year, and if nothing happens you'll get a job." Too good to be true. 😆
Another thing that bothers me is, and Sarra in particular is guilty of this, this idea that you need to reward yourself for every milestone during NaNo or just writing in general. Don't get me wrong, I've treated myself to a new movie or pen pouch if I hit my NaNo goal in the past but it's not every time. And it's not the carrot dangled in my face to keep me going. It's just icing on the cake of a great writing streak.
Because nothing beats that high when you're writing and writing a lot. I think you can see some of that in this year's NaNo Diaries, but it seems like for a lot of these people, it's not enough.
I could write a novel about consumerism and YouTube/ Instagram influencers. Soooo many thoughts. lol

sufficientcontact
Informer
Informer

Post by sufficientcontact »

unless I see actual numbers on an unaltered screen, I don't believe a single authortuber about their success. maybe kristen martin turned me paranoid with her "I'm living off my book income" while secretly still working her day job, but I have a full assumption now that anyone that claims their books have made six figures are lying about it. the only person I sorta believe is courtney/kennedy fox and even then I hold a healthy amount of skepticism lol.

so I ESPECIALLY don't believe something like "I have a secret penname that makes me all my money." mmhmm... I'm sure.

anonymousranter
Learner
Learner

Definitely don't buy the secret pen name.

I still watch Sarra too. I just don't think she honestly follows all the things she tries to sell everyone else. If she did, she wouldn't need to change her planning and process all the time. What she is doing is obviously not working for her or else she would be publishing every year. I think she needs to stop saying it's okay and start fixing it. Send George to work (still don't believe he's working for real) and send Evie to preschool. Have set work hours alone. Then all that planning might actually work.

And I totally agree with the consumerism on youtube. I am over people buying so much crap for content. I used to watch a bunch of beautytubers a few years ago and I get they review stuff but after a while it was like they have spent tens of thousands and never use it again. It became just about more more more and less about technique and tutorials. I feel like authortube is going down the same path.

JackieOfTrades
Informer
Informer

Post by JackieOfTrades »

Y'all are singing my song! LOL

Sarra would get a lot more done if she stopped "consuming" games. I understand that she met George through gaming and that it is important to her, but why can't THAT be her treat for reaching milestones? It'd end up costing her less, and it would get her butt in a chair writing. With how much she loves gaming, I think that could be her key. And send Evie to preschool already. She needs to learn how to be around people, that bubble she lives in will not help her when she gets older. Kids need friends for their mental development.

George is fishy. If the reason why Sarra can't write a damned book is because he does fuckall to help, and is possessive of her time as well? Well, then he can take a hike. Until he puts his foot down on the shopping and carves out time for Sarra to write (and not play in her planners), I will not trust him. If Sarra sat down and wrote for a couple hours each and every day, she would be ahead of the game, instead she wastes time shopping and playing with journals. Yeah, a real "success".

Kate Kate Kate, let's see some numbers already. Come clean about what all you really do. How many books have you published under how many pen names? And how are those books doing? Untill you tell the truth, we'll all just assume you do fuckall all day and just bounce from project to project cause you have no idea how to plot and write a story, so you just play make-believe. M'kay? Good.

Courtney and Brooke bust ass to make Kennedy Fox a success. These ladies sell enough books to keep both of them writing full time, and they have a massive backlist - so yeah, I believe them. Especially at the pricepoint they sell the books, plus they're publishing wide and they have their books translated. I know how much someone with 6-10 books can make on Amazon alone, so yeah, I believe their success. They don't just write a couple books a year, they write A LOT of books a year.

anonymousranter
Learner
Learner

I need to check out Courtney and Brooke then. It would be nice to see their process and how they are managing everything.

I believe Sarra sells books but I always feel like she uses her youtube and course earnings to make it seem like she is more successful than she actually is with just writing. Which good for her for building a good following and side business but I have no interest in those things. I just want to know her sales numbers. Like could she survive on just those without supplementing elsewhere? That's how I would measure success as a writer.

WriteByTheMoon
Informer
Informer

Post by WriteByTheMoon »

I think the irony here is she used to sustain her family on her book sales, but then she joined youtube to share what she knows and it's ended up snowballing and taking away from what created her channel in the first place. Which is a trap a lot of YouTubers fall in, but unlike a lot of them, she was already a successful author.
That being said, she got lucky with timing. If she were just starting out now with the way Amazon is a slushpile, I think she'd have a lot harder of a time building a following.

JackieOfTrades
Informer
Informer

Post by JackieOfTrades »

anonymousranter wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:16 am
I need to check out Courtney and Brooke then. It would be nice to see their process and how they are managing everything.

I believe Sarra sells books but I always feel like she uses her youtube and course earnings to make it seem like she is more successful than she actually is with just writing. Which good for her for building a good following and side business but I have no interest in those things. I just want to know her sales numbers. Like could she survive on just those without supplementing elsewhere? That's how I would measure success as a writer.
Courtney is The Courtney Project on YT. She talks a lot about marketing, which I find INCREDIBLY helpful. She claims to not give out writing advice, but if you watch her videos, there are A LOT of writing nuggets in there. She never has and says she never will do a how to write video, which is fine. There is so much valuable information in her videos, I've filled pages in my book, writing it down.

Oh Sarra probably sells a good amount of books, but not enough to keep up with her spending-habit, new car and new house. Without the income from YT and courses, she'd struggle. Thing is, no matter how big backlist, if you don't publish new books, algorythms stop showing your old books to new readers. They kinda punish you like that. Which is why I believe she's so much on YT and social media, to get people to look up her backlist.

JackieOfTrades
Informer
Informer

Post by JackieOfTrades »

WriteByTheMoon wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:17 am
That being said, she got lucky with timing. If she were just starting out now with the way Amazon is a slushpile, I think she'd have a lot harder of a time building a following.
Timing was key for Sarra. Had she come along now, she would have struggled. She writes YA, and her writing isn't the best - an uphill battle either way, but steeper now than 10 years ago.

Return to “BookTube”