Lurker
Lurker

Re: Bernadette Banner (Part 2)

Post by Autato »

food-e wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:12 am
Bernadette Banner just posted this to her Community tab on YouTube:
**CALL FOR GUEST PARTICIPANTS**

For this year’s upcoming “Tier Ranking 2021 Costume Dramas” video, I am hoping to collaborate with some fellow dress history enthusiasts who are knowledgeable in the eras and regions of certain films which I am not presently expert enough in to accurately judge. Participants are needed to cover the following subjects:

-17th century Italian ecclesiastical dress (a convent of unspecified order)
-17th century Spanish regional dress (Basque Country)
-1850s-70s and 1901 Mexican dress (x2 separate titles)

As we have nearly 50 titles on the ranking list this year, each will occupy a roughly 30-60 second on-screen feature, which will be shot remotely. Professional qualification, personal cultural experience, and/or extensive personal study in any of the above fields are all equally acceptable.

Participants must be willing to appear audibly and preferably visually on this channel and be available for shooting for approximately 30 minutes on or before Saturday, 4 December, 2021. Participants must also be able to access a stable internet connection for communication via video and audio during the shoot.
A fee of £50 will be offered to the chosen participants as well as named description credit and provision of one relevant link.
I think it's a smart move for her to involve other experts. She knows where the limits on her knowledge are. I think it will be a lot more informative to let actual experts discuss these costumes, than for her to half-ass a bit of research. Perhaps it will involve other less-known YouTube channels and we can discover new people to follow!
As someone whose great grandma immigrated from the Basque region, I'm not happy about someone like Bernadette offering to include us for a one-minute slot so she can have her cutesy Aesthetic. I'm not looking forward to thousands of people telling me that Basques are Spaniards from the "Spanish" Basque Country because Bernadette's channel said so. You need time to explain that the Basque Country straddles Spain and France along the western Pyrenees, that this is a modern zoning and Basques occupy a larger region than this, that the Basques are not Spanish or French but are an indigenous group that's existed there since the Paleolithic and whose language predates Indo-European. That they're historically oppressed (targeted as witches by the Inquisition who saw their indigenous practices as Satanic, experienced genocide under the Franco regime, amongst other things), that costume history often labels Basque (and Basque inspired) clothing as "French," including the "French" beret, and never explains who the Basques are. This is all pretty basic info you need to contextualize the folk costumes you're looking at and especially how they're depicted in film. And oops you've already overridden your 30 minutes to talk to me, can we just get a one-liner about Hollywood being bad for your one-minute inclusion? B clearly didn't bother to read even the Wikipedia page on Basque people. This is a big deal considering the shtick of these videos is to roast non-experts for daring to confuse different periods of British fashion. B is an "expert" labeling an indigenous group as just being a regional fashion of their oppressors. Was Indian fashion under colonialism merely an English regional dress? Are we going to be told to just be glad we're included at all, even if it means the spread of misinformation that can't be challenged due to the nature of B's channel and following? If she truly cares about being accurate about Basque people, why not give an expert a featured video like she did for the flower-making, or use her resources to help a Basque person do research into their cultural history

popmypopcorn
Informer
Informer

Post by popmypopcorn »

So what do yall think which movies she strives to cover?

SnarkySnax
Informer
Informer

Post by SnarkySnax »

popmypopcorn wrote:So what do yall think which movies she strives to cover?
Probably the same ones everyone has already covered. Dangerous Liaisons, Orlando, Room with a View, Gentleman Jack, Braveheart, Marie Antoinette, Elizabeth, Elizabeth R, any one of the Three Musketeers…

popmypopcorn
Informer
Informer

Post by popmypopcorn »

17th century italian could be courtesans of Venice...? Mexican evokes the tragic faith of Maximilian.

Julienne
Debater
Debater

Post by Julienne »

popmypopcorn wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:21 am
It's 2021 movies, so she wants someone else's opinions on Benedetta (17th c Italian ecclesiastical dress). No clue what the rest is for.

popmypopcorn
Informer
Informer

Post by popmypopcorn »

Julienne wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:18 pm
popmypopcorn wrote:
It's 2021 movies, so she wants someone else's opinions on Benedetta (17th c Italian ecclesiastical dress). No clue what the rest is for.
Oh my bad! I missed the 2021 timing! Then, I have no idea... (must look up Benedetta)

Mrslucis
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Mrslucis »

popmypopcorn wrote:
I think that one of the films she’s requesting assistance for is called Coven of Sisters here in the US. It’s on Netflix and is set in the 1600s in “French Basque country, per the description. I noticed that it’s a Spanish language film, which might be why she phrased her request like she did (calling it Spanish Basque instead of Basque).

LadyViorica
Informer
Informer

Post by LadyViorica »

Yeah, my guess when she said Basque was that she was covering Coven of Sisters. For the 19c Mexican dress one, maybe Dance of the 41? Benedetta would also track, as the convent Benedetta belonged to wasn't part of a specific order (Carmelites, Franciscans, etc.)

Autato
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Autato »

Mrslucis wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:34 pm
popmypopcorn wrote:
I think that one of the films she’s requesting assistance for is called Coven of Sisters here in the US. It’s on Netflix and is set in the 1600s in “French Basque country, per the description. I noticed that it’s a Spanish language film, which might be why she phrased her request like she did (calling it Spanish Basque instead of Basque).
60 seconds to cover a film about an extremely sensitive topic, and she couldn't be bothered to look up the people and region it's about to properly describe the expertise she's looking for?

herewego2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by herewego2 »

Autato wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:59 pm
Mrslucis wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:34 pm

60 seconds to cover a film about an extremely sensitive topic, and she couldn't be bothered to look up the people and region it's about to properly describe the expertise she's looking for?
I think she's only looking to cover the costumes, not the subject matter. I appreciate that she's looking to bring on other people with more expertise. She'll give them a lot of exposure given how many views her videos typically get AND she's actually compensating them which is rare in general.

Autato
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Autato »

herewego2 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:34 pm
Autato wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:59 pm

I think she's only looking to cover the costumes, not the subject matter. I appreciate that she's looking to bring on other people with more expertise. She'll give them a lot of exposure given how many views her videos typically get AND she's actually compensating them which is rare in general.
Need I repeat: the subject matter is essential context for the costumes. No, it's not cool to gloss over the genocide bit and call Basque people Spanish because you only paid attention to the fun witch aesthetics. If it's wrong for CH to say it's just about the pretty dresses, it's wrong for B too. I'd argue she isn't even giving real experts exposure because she isn't looking up people in the field and reaching out to them. She's only put out an advert to people in her following, when her target audience is by default people who speak English and are not costuming experts or historians. Additionally, she's asked for people who know "regional Spanish," not people who know French Basque culture. Surprise, surprise, Basques are a separate group with their own regional differences, not a subset of Spanish people, and the difference in Basque regions is important in this context. People of the southern Navarre kingdom don't have the same dress customs as people in what's now the French Basque Country. An American who's just heard of Basques may not understand, but this sort of ignorance is highly offensive to many Basque people. At the very least she could look up who she's talking about, and she didn't.

Justagoat
Informer
Informer

Post by Justagoat »

Autato wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:53 pm
herewego2 wrote:

Need I repeat: the subject matter is essential context for the costumes. No, it's not cool to gloss over the genocide bit and call Basque people Spanish because you only paid attention to the fun witch aesthetics. If it's wrong for CH to say it's just about the pretty dresses, it's wrong for B too. I'd argue she isn't even giving real experts exposure because she isn't looking up people in the field and reaching out to them. She's only put out an advert to people in her following, when her target audience is by default people who speak English and are not costuming experts or historians. Additionally, she's asked for people who know "regional Spanish," not people who know French Basque culture. Surprise, surprise, Basques are a separate group with their own regional differences, not a subset of Spanish people, and the difference in Basque regions is important in this context. People of the southern Navarre kingdom don't have the same dress customs as people in what's now the French Basque Country. An American who's just heard of Basques may not understand, but this sort of ignorance is highly offensive to many Basque people. At the very least she could look up who she's talking about, and she didn't.
I hope someone tells her and she expands on the subject. It's history a lot of people don't know and it's a shame and disrespectful to have it turned into a sound bite.

herewego2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by herewego2 »

Autato wrote:
herewego2 wrote:

All the more reason for her to bring someone else on to talk about it. Unless you rather she drop it, in which case you should email her explaining why. She asked for suggestion a few weeks ago. It's possible she hasn't even watched it. Email her explaining why this is problematic so she doesn't walk into a minefield.

Autato
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Autato »

herewego2 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:48 pm
Autato wrote:

All the more reason for her to bring someone else on to talk about it. Unless you rather she drop it, in which case you should email her explaining why. She asked for suggestion a few weeks ago. It's possible she hasn't even watched it. Email her explaining why this is problematic so she doesn't walk into a minefield.
It took some time to find the correct email address, but I did let her know about the issue. It would be great to see a video dedicated to that history - it just isn't right for a one-minute clip in a light-hearted video.

herewego2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by herewego2 »

Autato wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:17 pm
herewego2 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:48 pm

It took some time to find the correct email address, but I did let her know about the issue. It would be great to see a video dedicated to that history - it just isn't right for a one-minute clip in a light-hearted video.
I don't see her making a video like that because it isn't the type of content she usually produces and it isn't her culture/area of expertise, but I do hope someone makes that video.

LakeGalore
Talker
Talker

Post by LakeGalore »

At the very least, if she gets someone else to give a quick rating/review of those costumes, they will be able to share a relevant link, possibly/probably to a video that gives more info and context on the region/time period.

popmypopcorn
Informer
Informer

Post by popmypopcorn »

No need to be so harsh about BBs European nationality knowledge in historical context. She comes from the USA where (as I believe and some studies prove) people have vague ideas about Europe and the nationality problematics. From the other part of the world it's easy to recognize us (Europeans) as one happy EU family with some major countires, like Germany, Farnce, Italy, Spain and England (not since this year, but you get it). Also we must not forget about BBs anglophile bias as she approaches Europe, and especially the English folks and their culture. Let's give her the benefit of the doubt: she's young, idealistic and still need to learn a lot about her new, chosen country and continent. We can't expect someone, who's into victwardian upper class fashions, to know everything about (at least) the 200 years of problematic history of Europe, it simply wasn't her interest 'till now, this is a great oppurtunity to enlarge her historical views (here I'd like to include: let's not forget, although English woman in her senior age, not even CH was aware of her country's problematic past with India when she started the PD project, or se ignored it completely, which proves sometimes not all countrymen/women are attentive or clever enough in regard of their own history). It's a good idea to look for experts of these topics she wishes to cover, but knows litte or nothing of. Still a better and more thoughtful approach, than google/wikipedia articles!

iStateRn
Lurker
Lurker

Post by iStateRn »

popmypopcorn wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:58 am
No need to be so harsh about BBs European nationality knowledge in historical context. She comes from the USA where (as I believe and some studies prove) people have vague ideas about Europe and the nationality problematics. From the other part of the world it's easy to recognize us (Europeans) as one happy EU family with some major countires, like Germany, Farnce, Italy, Spain and England (not since this year, but you get it). Also we must not forget about BBs anglophile bias as she approaches Europe, and especially the English folks and their culture. Let's give her the benefit of the doubt: she's young, idealistic and still need to learn a lot about her new, chosen country and continent. We can't expect someone, who's into victwardian upper class fashions, to know everything about (at least) the 200 years of problematic history of Europe, it simply wasn't her interest 'till now, this is a great oppurtunity to enlarge her historical views (here I'd like to include: let's not forget, although English woman in her senior age, not even CH was aware of her country's problematic past with India when she started the PD project, or se ignored it completely, which proves sometimes not all countrymen/women are attentive or clever enough in regard of their own history). It's a good idea to look for experts of these topics she wishes to cover, but knows litte or nothing of. Still a better and more thoughtful approach, than google/wikipedia articles!
The thing is, she lives in Europe now. And as someone who's British/Irish, it's certainly mentioned in the UK papers often enough, especially in relation to the Catalan independence movement, and I'd assume an anglophile like her would read UK papers for the "aesthetic". It's a bit like trying to excuse a European who moved to the USA, and had previously lived there before, for making a very insensitive remark about Native Americans.

andipales
Debater
Debater

Post by andipales »

This is another case of "ooo pretty dress, let's brush over the history of it because pretty" scenario that they're all guilty of to some extent. It would be nice to see the bigger channels discussing things like this though (and I do mean discussing over mud slinging and pathetic google level research), because I think a deep dive into regional costume and the like could be educational and useful a tool for the community at large. If nothing else, it would be nice to watch something other than endless Victwardian stuff and poorly researched chemise debates.

popmypopcorn
Informer
Informer

Post by popmypopcorn »

OK, but we still hadn't seen her vlog about this matter, we still don't know how she'll address this problematic region, but yet, we're here making a problem about it assuming how she's gonna do it. It's not out yet, we don't know what experts volunteered to her call, how extensively they'll discuss this topic in regard of the movie's setting, costumes, history, etc. Once she makes the vid and she'll act like "Emily in Paris, but she's Lady Upmost" with complete ignorancy and condescending tone over European cultures, we can send her comments, emails and splutter with detest here. But until then please, for the sake of the benefit of the doubt, do not storm at BB over generated preconceptions!

Return to “Costubers”