bestdressed / ashley

shutupSIRI
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

bestdressed / ashley

Post by shutupSIRI »

I've seen mention of the need for a non-trashing-specific thread for her, so I am creating it.

Channel Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnQhwP ... bUZtIMrupw

'bestdressed' AKA Ashley Rous is a UCLA film grad turned influencer with 2.5M subscribers. She is known for her editing skills and sense of humor, which are perceived as horrible or great depending on who you ask. She usually makes content centered around fashion, but has ventured into topics like interior design, bullet journaling, makeup, and thrifting.

Common Praises:
- Editing
- Personality/Humor
- Fashion Tips
- Insights on life, boys, etc
- Generally leftist/feminist views

Common Critiques:
- Greenwashing / Fake Sustainability
- Pretending to be poor to be relatable
- Makeup Skills
- Poor Time Management
- Selling PR items

shutupSIRI
Learner
Learner

Re: bestdressed / ashley

Post by shutupSIRI »

Any positive feedback on Ashley in the trash a guru thread for her gets torn to shreds, so I made this as a place to discuss her with some empathy. Girl has some issues, but most of us do. I personally feel for her when it comes to a lot of the mental health/emotional type of stuff she discusses. I think she shows maturity in her work ethic, but elsewhere, she's only begun her 20s and has a lot of learning and personal growth to do.

Just to get this started, I'll share my thoughts on some of the most popular critiques I saw on the trashing thread:

Dismissing self care to work on videos? I think most people have put aside personal tasks to handle something before a deadline. However, I hope she learns to prioritize sleep, showering and feeding herself on a daily basis because despite any size of workload, those need to happen.

Fake Sustainability? This one is very valid in my opinion. I understand the financial gain aspect of collaborating with Amazon, but she established a pattern of discussing sustainability in fashion, and then pivoted with the dollars dangled in her face. However I personally chalked this up to inexperience with dealing with these types of situations, and her kind of being new to this higher level of social responsibility. I think the view count, which is one of her lowest in the recent months, reflects the lack of genuineness and her viewers' attitude towards it. I turned off notifications for a while after she put that video out because I was really surprised and disappointed.

Pretending to be poor to be relatable? Despite Ashley's family having money, I think she really doesn't want their help for some reason, and I respect that in the beginning of her climb to fame she was working to pay for everything herself. I did the same thing in college without my parents' support. But these days, the 'sleeping on my coat' and 'eating plain bread out of a pan' stuff isn't really hitting whatever mark she's going for. I wish she had a friend there to convince her to go buy an air mattress while she waits for her stuff to be delivered.

Makeup skills, poor time management, etc - Bruh she's 21. Did you or anyone you know have their shit fully together at 21? I was just learning how to use makeup back then because I hadn't been able to afford it until college. Same thing with time management, it's a skill one learns through messing up over and over again.

I think a lot of her problems/critiques come from presenting herself more toward perfect than she really is on Youtube, then pulling a 180 and being a bit of a mess on her instagram stories. When she's presenting two narratives at once, of course they're going to clash. But I think she will learn and improve with some time to grow in a new setting (NYC).

Ok, that's enough talking points to get some responses going, I'm gonna shut up now.

Redlipstickbimbo
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Redlipstickbimbo »

I’m really glad that now there’s a separate topic about her, because the old ones were sometimes so filled with hate and negativity that I would stop reading for a few days, it felt like some of the commenters really enjoy seeing her fail, and I think that’s such a toxic mindset to have about anyone, why would you keep watching videos of someone you deeply despise?

Anyways, back to suggested points, I agree with everything you’ve stated, I must say as someone who’s exiting her 20s I can definitely assure you that shit we’re doing in our early 20s is always embarassing and cringey and nobody’s proud of their old selves when we look back to that period of our lives and that’s okay because it’s called growth and maturing, that’s why I’m taking most of her current actions with a HEAP of salt.

With that being said, I really hope that she’s going to seek professional help to combat her emotional mess because she really needs it, she’s a clever girl and she could really accomplish great achievements if she would just learn to let go of some of the things that currently hold her down.

shutupSIRI
Learner
Learner

Post by shutupSIRI »

I agree, time spent un-constructively hating is toxic, and wasted energy.

In terms of her mental health, I also hope she sees a professional. I see a lot of my younger self in her, and I know what mental breakdown mode is like for her type of person (creative, anxious, self imposing deadlines, productivity focused, just moved, kinda lonely, etc). I don't want her to spiral, especially not with her penchant for posting about how she's feeling. She's a smart and capable creator and has the potential to keep growing and improving if she figures out how to prioritize herself along with her content.

angiechuwho
Lurker
Lurker

Post by angiechuwho »

I'm a few years older than Ashley and I feel like a lot of people in the "trash" thread are either older or her age and just seeing some of the outrightly cruel stuff they write about her, it's not healthy or helpful. It's just tearing down somebody who we've all agreed is not in the right headspace. It's super unhealthy and sometimes those threads just feel like a circle jerk for the more mean spirited people. Like yeah, Ashley is privileged and is revealing herself to be more of a money shill but it's ridiculous that people are acting like they have some kind of moral high ground like they wouldn't act like her had they been in her position.

Anyways, props to you for making this thread. I think that Ashley needs a mental health professional, I think she definitely needs to step back from Youtube and from IG, and she needs to really think about what she genuinely wants to do because it's obviously not anything with film. She also should honestly think about actually going to some courses at a community college or something or at least read up on the things that she preaches (sustainability, feminism, politics, etc.).

shutupSIRI
Learner
Learner

Post by shutupSIRI »

Lmao, right? Like they wouldn't post a couple photos on instagram wearing a fast fashion brand for thousands of dollars? I can see how most people would be swayed by that shit. Money changes people, no ethical consumption under capitalism, etc etc.

She has such a big audience and the things she says really have an effect on people so educating herself on the topics she enjoys speaking about would be a good move. Community college courses on the topics she discusses in her videos are an awesome idea, but I sadly I can't see her going for it given that she just moved out of her 'college town' and seems to be trying to transition herself to a different mindset.

As much as I'd miss watching her content every week I do think a step back would be good for her. Maybe just do two videos a month while she gets acclimated to NYC, or make the weekly videos 5-10 minutes instead of 20+. Or even just go for a chatty video once or twice a month that doesn't need all the b-roll and super intensive editing. Every single week can't be a stressful push to finish everything.

LoveNow
Informer
Informer

Post by LoveNow »

Since this is a positive thread for her I just wanted to say: wow I’m happy for her she was in Karlie Kloss’ vlog! Ik people have different opinions on her awkwardness and stuff but I’m really happy for these opportunities she’s getting bc I feel she’ll get chances to improve herself the more she has to step out of her comfort zone! Also people are ragging on her outfits for FW which I get bc she’s a fashion oriented channel but like... it’s her first time so I’ll give her a break

shutupSIRI
Learner
Learner

Post by shutupSIRI »

Yeah, she definitely will execute the outfits for NYFW better next time around - we know she'll be invited again. And I was honestly shocked to see her in a video made by an actual model/celebrity, but I'm happy that she is getting these opportunities, even if it feels a little fast. She seemed overwhelmed and a bit naive in that setting, but that can be chalked up to it being her first year. I felt bad for her watching her try to figure out where to look in Karlie's video because I know how much she feels compelled to sort of calculate and perfect her presentation in her own content. Anxiety sucks. And she probably also felt like a 'potato' as she always says, next to an actual model. I thought her look was cool though. It was edgier than we usually see on her.

Weird Vagina
Sparkling Unicorn
Sparkling Unicorn

Post by Weird Vagina »

could you guys stop "trashing" users on the other thread? making them out to be "meanie haters" is not ok nor allowed. this is a rave thread for bestdressed, not a trash thread for users on the other thread. also, blasting "morality" on your high horses is funny, considering we're on a gossip forum. chill out and focus on raving about bestdressed.

shutupSIRI
Learner
Learner

Post by shutupSIRI »

There's some morality/high horse shit going on in basically every thread on this site, but I agree, there is really no point in discussing what's going on in other threads. The whole point of making this one was to avoid the other. The trash thread should stop that as well. :) Let's just talk about the videos.

coco2020
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by coco2020 »

I must admit I'm a big time watcher of her videos and like her personality. Does anyone also think that by living in NY Ashley is going to loose her #relatable appeal in her videos? Cause that is what made me like her when she lived in LA, being on her own, not having many friends etc. It honestly made me feel less alone.
But seeing her at NYFW and Karlie Kloss's vlog I can't help but think what may happen in the next year or so - you guys reckon she could border celebrity-youtuber territory?

bunny__
Informer
Informer

Post by bunny__ »

coco2020 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:50 pm
I must admit I'm a big time watcher of her videos and like her personality. Does anyone also think that by living in NY Ashley is going to loose her #relatable appeal in her videos? Cause that is what made me like her when she lived in LA, being on her own, not having many friends etc. It honestly made me feel less alone.
But seeing her at NYFW and Karlie Kloss's vlog I can't help but think what may happen in the next year or so - you guys reckon she could border celebrity-youtuber territory?
I feel like it can go both ways. If she takes time away from her YouTube channel (since she does claim she's working alot) to foster these influencer connections she could end up that way. But I do see alot of behaviors in her that could lead her towards even worse isolation.

Personal anecdote, but my sister was a total social butterfly and had lived in multiple major cities, traveled the world, but became so alone and depressed living in New York. She told me it's been the hardest time she's ever had making friends. She's still there and is getting better now but not because she ever ended up making a circle in NY.

Doing what she's doing alone is difficult and these big cities are ruthless for someone her age. I'd argue this could help her be more relatable, but time will tell

shutupSIRI
Learner
Learner

Post by shutupSIRI »

I'm hoping she's happier in New York but I don't want to see her further lose her relatability.

I liked her new video. Wish she would upload talking videos more often and share more of her thoughts with us. It was cool hearing her address her own self-criticisms and insecurities.

sootsprite
Talker
Talker

Post by sootsprite »

there were a few things in her latest video i didn't love but overall i liked it. i really get how she said she feels about ageing and the double standard with men. i know her feminism can be a bit shallow and privileged but the general idea of it is pretty on point sometimes imo

Gummo_Sevigny
Informer
Informer

Post by Gummo_Sevigny »

I hope Ashley is able to find happiness in NYC because I am rooting for her. LA, much like NYC, is not for everyone. She's smart and has a great personality, so I think she has a good chance of really finding herself in the city :D
THESE HOES AIN'T LOYAL

Redlipstickbimbo
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Redlipstickbimbo »

I’m also really glad to see her getting new opportunities in fashion world (being invited to nyfw and that karlie kloss vlog) I’m so happy to see her meeting all these people from the industry, making new connections and doing what she loves the most. Also, she mentioned before that her goal is to have her own fashion line and that’s much more achievable in new york once she meets and surrounds herself with the right people that will keep her on the right path. And at last, I’m truly proud of her for having stronger friendship group in nyc than it was in LA (mostly surface level meaningless influencers that often times just seemed to leech her for exposure/clout). All in all, I’m rooting for her!

makemearectangle
Lurker
Lurker

Post by makemearectangle »

I'll give her this - Ashley makes cute thumbnails. I think spending as much time on them as she does seems incredibly wasteful, but I rarely fault the final product.

Return to “Gurus With More Than 50,000 Subs”