Shane Dawson: The “Poorest” Rich Man (Part 15)

ludirudi
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Shane Dawson: The “Poorest” Rich Man (Part 15)

Post by ludirudi »

YaaaaasBae wrote:It's completely irresponsible that no one has pointed out to these teens who are diagnosing themselves as sociopaths that they are still developing their empathy.

(<a class="vglnk" href="https://www.parentingscience.com/empath ... teens.html" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>parentingscience</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>empathy</span><span>-</span><span>in</span><span>-</span><span>children</span><span>-</span><span>and</span><span>-</span><span>teens</span><span>.</span><span>html</span></a>)

There's a reason why ASPD is not a common diagnosis for people until adulthood - because brains are still being developed even into the early 20's.

There are always exceptions to the rule.

But this broad based chit chat over the DSM - with little context - is dangerous for his core audience.

This isn't funny spooky ghost story time. This isn't the cool new "different" thing. This is a diagnosis. And if these kids are saying "OMG, I have this! lolz!" They don't understand the impact certain mental health stigmas still carry when it gets put on things like your health record.

This hurts especially because the audience is young girls and (insert feminist rant) once you start getting pegged for having mental health issues - many times doctors throw legitimate health concerns by the wayside - saying the symptoms are "in your head"... So let's set up teenagers for a lifetime of extra fights in our shitty healthcare system.

But again, spooky music, sociopaths might be hanging out in your house right now. Boo.

The other thing that is so irresponsible in regards to his young audience is that the healthcare industry in this country is quick to medicate without therapy (in my experience) and general practitioners will listen to some concerns about mental health and then throw medication into the mix without monitoring. Medication is great in some instances but so is therapy and so is maybe not doing an irresponsible 'doc' throwing around terminology to your young audience making them all think these things are 'scary' and that they may have whatever it is he is insinuating.

gingersnap17
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Post by gingersnap17 »

I love the backlash Shane is getting. The editing is really harmful and he should know that mental illnesses arent scary or creepy. I bet he wouldn't say body dysmorphia is creepy.

brokenheartxd
Talker
Talker
Been thanked: 0

Post by brokenheartxd »

It's so ignorant how Shane's responses to people being mad is basically "sociopaths won't care, so it's fine if I demonize them"

Return to “Shane Dawson”