Me v Europe v Tourist Traps

Nikki908
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Me v Europe v Tourist Traps

Post by Nikki908 »

I have no idea where I want to stop while I'm there! I'm planning on studying abroad and will probably be somewhere in Northern/Western Europe. Also planning on sticking around there. Is it even worthwhile to go to to the really popular spots like Big Ben, Mona Lisa, Domus Romane, etc?

Maybe I should stay in my room and sightsee from google maps to avoid the confusion.

justafleshwound
Talker
Talker

Re: Me v Europe v Tourist Traps

Post by justafleshwound »

From my experience with European cities, it can be more fun to go off the beaten track once in a while.
I live in London and so it is harder for me to recommend tourist traps as I live here and either haven't bothered to actually go or seen them enough that the novelty is totally gone. I suppose Big Ben is pretty cool to see if you haven't before but it is a case of just looking at it and that's it.
Westminster Abbey and St. Paul's are spectacular and I would recommend them. I personally like graveyards for some reason in which case Highgate or Golders Green could be interesting. The west side of Highgate is gorgeously creepy but I guess I'm into macabre.
I would maybe suggest Harrods or Carnaby street if shopping interests you.
Kensington Palace is very nice if you like the Royal Family and then Hyde Park is next door. The Museums in South Kensington are also worth a visit. The V&A is truly excellent.

I personally didn't really like Paris. The Louvre was a good day out but it is so big, don't expect to see everything. It's worth going to see Eiffel Tower at night with the light show and Notre Dame is also lovely but there is a huge problem of beggars in Paris. Pickpockets are everywhere and I didn't always feel safe in Paris. Not saying you shouldn't go but beware. I thought Paris was kinda dirty and it is not as beautiful as all the American films and TV shows portray it to be. Montmartre is an interesting walk but prepare to be accosted by street vendors. Some do not take No for an answer but you have to be firm. Same with the Beggars. There are also tons of street vendors by all the tourist traps. Just be firm. Same with Sacre Coeur. Some very aggressive men who will grab your arm and tie and crappy string bracelet around it and then charge you 20 euro for the privilege. Again, firm 'No Merci!' should do it.

justafleshwound
Talker
Talker

Paris can be lovely but be careful and prepared for 'Paris Syndrome' if you've never been before.

Amsterdam was great. Have few few bad things to say about it. I felt safe walking about nearly everywhere, even Red District at night. Again, same with all European cities but pickpockets will be about. This is a city where it is easy just to walk everywhere as most touristy things are in a small area and you'll get a fantastic feel for the place. Anne Frank's House is an absolute must if you go. Very humbling. Sex Museum is a good laugh. Amsterdam is great for just walking around and following the canals. Do visit the red light district but don't take photos of the prostitutes - that's how you get yourself into a fight with a pimp. There are always tons of people around the RLD at night so I never felt worried about being there.

If you go this far south, I also love Rome. Another city where I felt very safe. There are some beggars in Rome but they aren't as aggressive as Paris. It's also a nice city for just walking. Like Amsterdam, most tourist traps are in a small area and you can walk between them. The Vatican was astounding and it is a great city if you have any interest in churches (watch out for those incorrupt Saints - very weird first time you see them). The Colosseum is of interest but it is probably something you only need to see once . Lots of nice narrow streets in Rome, lots of atmosphere. People will try to get you into their 'tours' of places - especially around the Vatican but I personally wouldn't bother as Vatican is free and these 'tours' whilst most are genuine, can cost lots of Euro. Ruins to see everywhere.

Have fun wherever you go. Europe can be beautiful but always watch your stuff, even in my beloved London, because there will be people who want to part you from it. Try not to use maps in open spaces as someone could well be watching you and that will instantly mark you as a tourist ready to take advantage of. Eventually you'll settle in and it won't be a problem.

Pastel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Pastel »

I'm the one person who actually prefers Paris over London :P

As justafleshwound said, definitely beware of the beggars, pickpockets (as you would in any big city, really), and the street vendors. I actually had one of those men at Sacré Coeur tie a bracelet around my wrist when I was about 12. They're ruthless.

Still, I think the city is terrific, and there's a lot to see. The Louvre is worth a visit (also I think students can get in for free), but I don't think Mona Lisa is the best thing in there. And yeah, don't expect to see everything. Musée d'Orsay is a nice place to visit too, and I personally like that better than the Louvre. It's also smaller, so you won't have to wander around until you're exhausted and disoriented. I also really enjoy visiting churces and chapels, and there are some great ones in Paris. Notre Dame is vastly overrated imo, but Sacré Coeur and Saint Sulpice are wonderful. And Sainte Chapelle!

I also really enjoy going to the Rue Mouffetard area. It's less touristy and there's a really nice atmosphere there.

Rome is also amazing, and I had a similar experience to justafleshwound. Same with Milan, which is a nice place to stop by for a weekend. There's not quite as much to do there, but it's a great place.

In terms of Northern Europe, I'd say Copenhagen, yay! There's some great architecture, nice scenery, and freetown Christiania is always worth a visit. It's a really unique place, and I recommend it to everyone. Be prepared for everything in Denmark to be expensive though. 500 kr may sound like a lot, but it will probably only last you a day.

Nikki908
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Nikki908 »

This is some really great advice. Like, almost too good.

I never thought about visiting the graveyards! That would definitely be something to look into. Especially since American graveyards go back maybe a hundred or two years, I can't imagine how old they might be in some parts of Europe. Anything creepy like that is bound to be interesting. That along with the Paris Catacombs and similar destinations. Shopping, maybe. I'm still thinking about how to go about buying things while I'm there. I love to shop and I love fashion and whatnot, but I also want to save my money for souvenirs if I ever feel like getting some.

And food, a lot of food.

I might save the clothing for another day. I also plan on bringing a camera, which will stay firmly at my side and hidden away. I'll be paranoid about pickpockets since I've never experienced it in America, so I'm sure Europe is another situation altogether. It's one of the things I never took the time to think about until you both mentioned it. If it's anything I've been to New York City before and I was always firm when I didn't want something (or I'd just pretend they didn't exist). I wish fanny packs didn't separate me as a tourist that much. I'm sure it would be useful to have my stuff at my side secured to my hips and at my front.

The Louvre has always seemed like a given to go to considering its fame. I'll probably stop by there if I'm in Paris. Honestly at this point Paris is a given, even with the possibility of Paris Syndrome, which I now have to look into. The churches are one of the first things I thought about when planning my trip. The architecture is gorgeous!

You guys listed so many places and I'll be looking at them all! I have a lot of googling to do today.

Pastel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Pastel »

Cemetière du Père-Lachaise is also worth a visit if you're interested in visiting graveyards. It's huge, and there's a lot of famous people buried there. Oscar Wilde, Jim Morrison, Edith Piaf, Chopin... the list is too long :P

If you go to the Louvre, I'd also recommend a visit to the Carrousel du Louvre. It's an underground shopping centre located directly beneath the museum. I don't think the shops are that great, but I think it's a beautiful place to walk around. Also a good idea for a rainy day!

justafleshwound
Talker
Talker

Cemetière du Père-Lachaise is definitely worth a visit. I second that. Very eerie in places. Some of it is incredibly old.

I also wouldn't use a fanny pack in Europe. The majority of people don't use them - you only see them on tourists.
Thankfully weather in Europe can be shitty, so a jacket with an inside pocket would be safe. As a woman, I have been known to keep emergency euro funds in a small freezer bag and either in my bra or in my sock. I've also just used a backpack. You can get away with wearing it on your front as people seem to do that quite alot. I read a good tip about safety pinning the zips but I've never personally done it. You should be fine. Just know where you are going in advance and hide an emergency euro fund somewhere on your person.

Europe can be hideously expensive. I went to Paris back in 2009 and at that time it was so expensive, McDonald's was out of our price range on our tiny budget.
I've always found supermarkets in Europe (more so Amsterdam and Rome) to be cheap but I'm not sure how cheap they'll be in comparison to American prices. But have fun and wander.

Pastel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Pastel »

In terms of keeping your things safe, I'll agree that fanny packs will most likely scream tourist. Although I have seen some people wear them. They were sort of in style not too long ago - mostly worn cross-body, though. I've often brought along a neck pouch. Most of them can be hidden under clothes quite easily (depending on the weather of course), and it's harder to steal something from literally right under your nose than from a purse.

Also, yes, consider keeping some spare cash on you. I've been known to keep it in my bra, shoes, the lining of my coat... whatever works. I'm not trying to make you paranoid or anything like that, because it's not like you'll be instantly robbed the second you go abroad. I've lived in Europe all my life and never had anything stolen, but it's nice to be on the safe side. :D

lurkasaurusrex
Lurker
Lurker

Post by lurkasaurusrex »

Must-see's...

ITALY
Florence - gorgeous, see David irl
Venice - is sinking, too romantic to skip
Rome - too much to talk about
Siena - most beautiful city very gothic, small

FRANCE
Burgundy "Bourgogne" - go vineyard hopping, some of the best food
Paris - I could live here
Provence - lavender fields

MONACO - basically the south of France but diff country, wildly rich people

UK
London - of course, you can see musicals, get all posh on the west end.. go all hipster on the east end

SPAIN
Barcelona - beach + city break, awesome art and architecture by Gaudi, dope food
Granada - see the Alhambra, site of GoT

Nesoi
Naughty
Naughty

Post by Nesoi »

Pastel Rage wrote:I'm the one person who actually prefers Paris over London :P

As justafleshwound said, definitely beware of the beggars, pickpockets (as you would in any big city, really), and the street vendors. I actually had one of those men at Sacré Coeur tie a bracelet around my wrist when I was about 12. They're ruthless.

Still, I think the city is terrific, and there's a lot to see. The Louvre is worth a visit (also I think students can get in for free), but I don't think Mona Lisa is the best thing in there. And yeah, don't expect to see everything. Musée d'Orsay is a nice place to visit too, and I personally like that better than the Louvre. It's also smaller, so you won't have to wander around until you're exhausted and disoriented. I also really enjoy visiting churces and chapels, and there are some great ones in Paris. Notre Dame is vastly overrated imo, but Sacré Coeur and Saint Sulpice are wonderful. And Sainte Chapelle!

I also really enjoy going to the Rue Mouffetard area. It's less touristy and there's a really nice atmosphere there.

Rome is also amazing, and I had a similar experience to justafleshwound. Same with Milan, which is a nice place to stop by for a weekend. There's not quite as much to do there, but it's a great place.

In terms of Northern Europe, I'd say Copenhagen, yay! There's some great architecture, nice scenery, and freetown Christiania is always worth a visit. It's a really unique place, and I recommend it to everyone. Be prepared for everything in Denmark to be expensive though. 500 kr may sound like a lot, but it will probably only last you a day.
I thought I was the only person - give me Paris any day :love2:

Return to “Europe”