Girls (The HBO Show)

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Girls (The HBO Show)

Post by Angie V »

LadyKaiko wrote:@Angie V: I'm on my phone (Samsung Flight II). It's the only form of internet I have. I thought that would be obvious since most phones these days have internet access. Haha
ooh, that makes sense. i've never had the internet on my phone so it didn't come to mind.

@born: well yeah, obviously
imma ball til the day i fall

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

I honestly thought more people would like this show. Most people I know really seem to enjoy it!

thismustbetheplace
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by thismustbetheplace »

BornThisWay94 wrote:I honestly thought more people would like this show. Most people I know really seem to enjoy it!
Well I think it's better-written than most of the crap out there, or else I wouldn't watch it at all. And I think it definitely is "the voice of a generation" (ie. people in their 20s who think they're cool, went to liberal arts colleges and had safe comfortable upper-middle-class upbringings), even if my dysfunctional family, socioeconomic status, and STEM major at an "uncool" college exclude me from that generation. But a lot of people think Lena Dunham is some kind of wunderkind and I totally don't buy that, because I feel like anyone intelligent and well-educated of her age group could have written this show. I think she's a good writer, but I don't think she's a GREAT writer, at least not yet. Time will tell if she has staying power and more stories to tell than just this one, which she has already told twice through her first film and now Girls.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just bitter and jealous. lol.

However I do think Girls had an unfair amount of criticism pointed at it about the lack of minority characters. Like sure, that is a problem, but that's a widespread problem in Hollywood, so I don't know why everyone just focused on this one show. In basically every mainstream-audience movie, the main characters are white and Anglo, and minority characters are just put there as tokens so people won't criticize the movie for having an all-white cast. And the minority characters are usually stereotypes.

Plus, this is unfortunate, but it's actually kind of accurate that Hannah and co. don't have any minority friends. I would say most hipsters are racially prejudiced even though they try their hardest to pretend they aren't.

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

It is hard to find likeable characters on this show, to be honest.

Hannah Horvath: She's very...interesting. She reminds me a lot of myself by the way she speaks (I don't know if that makes sense) but the things she's says reminds me of myself. I also love how she's comfortable with her body and it's refreshing to see a main character of a television show who is curvy and not afraid to show some skin.

Marnie Michaels: While she is a bitch, I think a lot of people can relate to her relationship problems. She was in a relationship with a guy, they broke up, and now she can't find anyone who matches up to him and is constantly making up excuses to see him.

Shoshana Shapiro: Definitely the quirky, innocent one of the group. I personally find her fucking annoying, but I can see how people like her.

Jessa Johansson: My personal favorite. I just love her bohemian style and how she doesn't care what anyone thinks of her. She'll tell you like it is and I love women like that. I also think it's funny how she and Shoshana are cousins since they're so different.

I also love Adam. I know a lot of people hate him, but he's one of my favorites.

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

@Angie V: Haha it's cool. ^_^

MakeupGirly
Informer
Informer

Post by MakeupGirly »

I actually like this show, and it's very hard for me to find shows that I actually like. I've been following it since the first season, so far I've liked season 2 more my favourite episode has been the one where Hannah and Jessa go and see Jessa's Dad. Jessa is my favourite character. I admire her free spirit, even though I think really she is the character who suffers the most since she doesn't really belong anywhere and doesn't have many people close to her at all. I actually like Hannah, I find her funny and I like how she is comfortable in her body she just wears what she wants and doesn't give a fuck. Even if I and I'm sure lots of others don't think it looks good on her. Marnie pisses me off she's a bitch. She's need to leave that poor guy she broke up with alone to get on with his life. I like Shosana, she can be annoying at times but I think her innocence is really cute.

Goat
Informer
Informer

Post by Goat »

I loved the first season, recently watched it all in one sitting with Xfinity's On Demand. I'm not that fond of most of season 2 though... for some reason I don't really feel like it isn't developing as much as the first season. It's boring.

Shoshana is growing on me, I'll admit, because I didn't really like her at first. BUT WHAT IS UP WITH HER HAIR?! I found it pretty funny when Marnie sang in the latest episode (I was embarrassed for her) because Allison Williams is supposedly a singer, she wasn't that good. Hannah is meh, I find that a lot of attention is given to her because Lena created the show. Jessa is probably my favorite by default.

bugk
Talker
Talker

Post by bugk »

My mom and I have heard so much about this show so last night we decided the rent the first season. We only watched the first two episodes so it's hard to judge it but so far we aren't impressed. It has a few funny one liners but overall, we are not having it lol. Maybe it's because neither of us can really relate to the girls (I'm 16 and my mom is almost 40). I don't know. Does Hannah become anymore more tolerable, because the way she acts with Adam is so annoying. I think Shoshanna is my favorite.

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

I just watched Lena Dunham's film Tiny Furniture. Is Girls anything like that movie? Tiny Furniture just seemed to be about a spoiled girl who wanted everyone to know she was going through a hard time. It was a little annoying.

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

I can't believe the season finale is next week. This season was definitely not as good as Season 1. Very disappointed.

BugK- Kudos to watching it with your mom, I could NEVER do that. I'm just gonna warn you that in one episode they show Hannah's parents having sex in the shower so you might not wanna see that lol. To answer your question, no..she doesn't. She gets more annoying.

bugk
Talker
Talker

Post by bugk »

BornThisWay94 wrote:BugK- Kudos to watching it with your mom, I could NEVER do that. I'm just gonna warn you that in one episode they show Hannah's parents having sex in the shower so you might not wanna see that lol. To answer your question, no..she doesn't. She gets more annoying.
Haha, well I did grow up watching SATC with her, so the sex scenes are nothing new in our household. Ugh, thanks for letting me know about Hannah, I'll probably continue to be totally ticked off by her.

SallyCinnamon
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by SallyCinnamon »

I find the show quite boring but I watch it anyway.. I quite liked the episode where Hannah has sex with that random guy, and I like the Adam character and occasionally Shosh, but the girl who sounds semi-British makes me feel violent. I can't stand her!

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

wanderlust wrote:I just watched Lena Dunham's film Tiny Furniture. Is Girls anything like that movie? Tiny Furniture just seemed to be about a spoiled girl who wanted everyone to know she was going through a hard time. It was a little annoying.
It is almost exactly like that, actually.
imma ball til the day i fall

Goat
Informer
Informer

Post by Goat »

SallyCinnamon wrote:I quite liked the episode where Hannah has sex with that random guy...
Really? I found that episode so boring!

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

Goat wrote:
SallyCinnamon wrote:I quite liked the episode where Hannah has sex with that random guy...

Same, and so pointless.

SallyCinnamon
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by SallyCinnamon »

BornThisWay94 wrote:
Goat wrote:

Same, and so pointless.
It reminded me of Lost In Translation (a little bit), but I find the whole series boring so it didn't really bother me that there was a stand-alone episode. And I liked the fact that all the misogynists would be imploding with fury that a non-perfect woman dared to go topless on TV :)

hotwatermusic
Learner
Learner

Post by hotwatermusic »

I started watching Girls about a month ago and I am caught up with all of the episodes now. I don't watch a lot of tv other than Law and Order, so this was a little out of my realm, lol. I do like the show and I find it relatable as someone who is 22 and in college. The characters are often really annoying and selfish but they are just flawed people, which is why it's more realistic than a lot of other tv shows. Your 20s are sort of a confusing time where you're trying to "find yourself" so to speak. I think Girls is trying to portray that weird period in your life where you don't quite know who the fuck you are yet.

There are some things that bother me about the show, but overall I like it and I'd prefer to watch a show with girls who look like myself and my friends instead of the characters on Gossip Girl.

Kandake
Informer
Informer

Post by Kandake »

Just tired of people saying the show is the voice of our generation.

hotwatermusic
Learner
Learner

Post by hotwatermusic »

Kandake wrote:Just tired of people saying the show is the voice of our generation.
Even though I like the show, I'm getting annoyed with that too. If this is the voice of our generation, then we are a pretty self-obsessed generation. I'd like to think better of Gen Y.

Sof25l
Learner
Learner

Post by Sof25l »

Somebody here watches the new season?did you like the first episodes? :o I like watching the show, I kind of relate it ... BUT I hate every single character! Especially Hanna and Jessa..

Return to “Comedy”