InTheFOMO - The Most Expressionful Influencer (Part 5)

calabazarock
Informer
Informer

Re: InTheFOMO - The Most Expressionful Influencer (Part 5)

Post by calabazarock »

Another reason for people not to watch her videos: there's many people that English is their second language and are not used or plainly cannot understand her accent!

drasticactions
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by drasticactions »

calabazarock wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:15 pm
Another reason for people not to watch her videos: there's many people that English is their second language and are not used or plainly cannot understand her accent!
I agree!
I sometimes watch her with the automated captions on if it is noisy at home and they are so often wrong and it is bcof her accent I think. Nothing wrong with it, but when she starts squealing and pitching her voice high and with her lisp and the northern accent I can totally see how it would be hard for a non native speaker to understand her. I'm American and I understand her fine but I know plenty of Americans would have trouble bc they aren't used to hearing British accents let alone a Manchester accent.

QueenDecember
Informer
Informer

Post by QueenDecember »

drasticactions wrote:
calabazarock wrote:
I agree!
I sometimes watch her with the automated captions on if it is noisy at home and they are so often wrong and it is bcof her accent I think. Nothing wrong with it, but when she starts squealing and pitching her voice high and with her lisp and the northern accent I can totally see how it would be hard for a non native speaker to understand her. I'm American and I understand her fine but I know plenty of Americans would have trouble bc they aren't used to hearing British accents let alone a Manchester accent.
I dare someone to tell her maybe her lisp is a turn off for some people ImageImageImage

Rosie34567
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Rosie34567 »

eastsidebabe wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:04 pm
i also think UK bloggers get way better brand trips and lunches and weekends away, etc, than US bloggers. Course they get tiring after a while as well. She’s not appreciative of what she gets, magazine covers, commercials for cosmetics, bridal fashion layouts. I don’t see US influencers getting too much of that.
Yes! I agree. Also, in addition to getting better brand trips, I think UK youtubers in general take for granted how EASY (and inexpensive) it is for them to travel. For example, a flight from London to Paris is only 1 hour. A flight from LA to Paris (nonstop) is approx. 11 hours and could cost literally 8x as much (although to be fair brands usually pay for it). Someone like Victoria could randomly wake up one morning and decide to go to France (or basically anywhere in Western Europe), and she could easily be there and back in the same day!

eastsidebabe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by eastsidebabe »

Rosie34567 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:00 pm
eastsidebabe wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:04 pm
i also think UK bloggers get way better brand trips and lunches and weekends away, etc, than US bloggers. Course they get tiring after a while as well. She’s not appreciative of what she gets, magazine covers, commercials for cosmetics, bridal fashion layouts. I don’t see US influencers getting too much of that.
Yes! I agree. Also, in addition to getting better brand trips, I think UK youtubers in general take for granted how EASY (and inexpensive) it is for them to travel. For example, a flight from London to Paris is only 1 hour. A flight from LA to Paris (nonstop) is approx. 11 hours and could cost literally 8x as much (although to be fair brands usually pay for it). Someone like Victoria could randomly wake up one morning and decide to go to France (or basically anywhere in Western Europe), and she could easily be there and back in the same day!
I agree. Course Brexit might change all that. :o It's great to have all these wonderful cities all within a few hours travel.

palmer
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by palmer »

For someone who supposedly "hasn't read hate sites in 5 years" she seemed quite bothered by them.

Shellgoss89
Informer
Informer

Post by Shellgoss89 »

Wonders why shes not reaching ppl & growing
Next vid her using a clickbait thumbnail about damaging a 1000k bag
Yes so relatable!

loveherhateher
Informer
Informer

Post by loveherhateher »

Shellgoss89 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:42 pm
Wonders why shes not reaching ppl & growing
Next vid her using a clickbait thumbnail about damaging a 1000k bag
Yes so relatable!
On the topic of the bag. I can't understand how she thought a cream colored canvas bag was the appropriate travel bag. For it's first outing, no less. Someone in the comments said she should weatherproof/waterproof it after getting the stain out and it's shocking that she didn't think of that before she decided to take it on an international flight. And then, it you want a bag because you say you need more space, why keep it in it's smallest state? How is that helpful?! The whole bag moment is probably the most annoyed I've been with her in a while now.

Rosie34567
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Rosie34567 »

That bag was such a dumb choice for a good "commuter work bag." Clearly she has no experience actually...working or commuting. Also that huge logo is basically a giant sign that says "please rob me on the train."

But the main thing that irritates me about this is she's PRETENDING to be a commuting worker, just so she can play dress-up. She thinks it's cute/fun to commute and have a (fake youtube) career. It's so tone-deaf because she treats working and commuting as some kind of cutesy fun thing, when some of us actually need to work. If we're being real here, she probably only "commutes" into London because she's bored and needs to fill up her days...not because she actually needs to. She doesn't actually care about her career, she just likes to dress like she has a career. She wants to be seen as a #bossgirl without doing anything to deserve being seen as one (*cough cough* Carrie Bradshaw vibes). It's kind of insulting to women who ACTUALLY work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lililala
Debater
Debater

Post by Lililala »

She is one of the most entitled people I « know ». It’s crazy how she feels like she deserves as much success as people who started their channel years before she did. And to J* ? Girl the guy had businesses that have nothing to do with YT, he invested money in weed and you think you’re gonna get the same amount of money while collaborating with unknown brands like the bag you did? Nope.
And I’m sorry but she has no right complaining when she has more followers and more views than Lily Pebbles and the Anna Edit which are both UK influencers just like her who started years before she did. Hate them or like them but at least they are proposing more than ads and boring vlogs. I feel like they actually work on their YT channels when Vic has given up months ago to put all her eggs in the Instagram basket. She puts way more effort on her picture and her ads there than she does for her YT channel.
No you are not less successful because you’re in the UK, you said it yourself Patricia Bright and Jamie Genevieve were able to reach the US audience but you were not. Zoella was able to do it too, her brother extended his career to other fields... Let’s not even speak about French influencers who despite the language barrier were able to create their own clothing line.

She is not a girl boss or a CEO, she is just a face and she get paid to represent other brands that’s it, glad she is realizing it but she should ask herself why for real and stop finding excuses.

drasticactions
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by drasticactions »

She obviously has no clue about bags. I'm in a lot of bag chat groups and EVERYONE in them (and most of us are buying much cheaper bags than she does) seems to know about scotch guarding /spraying their bags with protective coating / weather proofing spray to protect from color transfer.

The fact that idea never crossed her mind tells me she's either clueless about bags or she's never really used her bags in a normal way (how normal people who walk around during the day instead of being driven around in a gently, might have to worry about denim transfer on a pale bag)

eastsidebabe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by eastsidebabe »

drasticactions wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:33 am
She obviously has no clue about bags. I'm in a lot of bag chat groups and EVERYONE in them (and most of us are buying much cheaper bags than she does) seems to know about scotch guarding /spraying their bags with protective coating / weather proofing spray to protect from color transfer.

The fact that idea never crossed her mind tells me she's either clueless about bags or she's never really used her bags in a normal way (how normal people who walk around during the day instead of being driven around in a gently, might have to worry about denim transfer on a pale bag)
That surprised me too. The first thing you think of is color transfer with a cream colored bag and jeans.
I’m just imagining that bag on the floor of a New York subway car in the winter. It’s not for regular folk.

dressagediva
Informer
Informer

Post by dressagediva »

drasticactions wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:59 pm
calabazarock wrote:
I agree!
That's interesting! But I do think it's her silly put-on squealy voice more than her accent. Compare her voice with other northern vloggers like Megan Ellaby, who is easy to understand, clear, normal pitch.

I'm northern and so find the various northern accents much easier to understand than southern ones generally, but I find her actual voice and shrieking impossible to sit through and sometimes tune out and have no idea what she's just said squealed.

It's embarrassing.

calabazarock
Informer
Informer

Post by calabazarock »

That bag is so ugly!

Lililala
Debater
Debater

Post by Lililala »

drasticactions wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:33 am

She is clueless. I knew it the day I saw her in a 700$ Tommy Hilfiger dress after spin and before showering. Look at the Chanel eyeliner she used to paint her pumpkin for Halloween.

QueenDecember
Informer
Informer

Post by QueenDecember »

Posted this on tattle but wanted to share here as well.

I went ahead and reported ALL of her undisclosed self portrait posts and Instagram stories to the ASA. But, as I’m in NYC and they now ask for your home address...I’m thinking they won’t even care about my complaint.

If you’re in the U.K., I urged you to file a complaint. The rules are simple, if you’re on a free trip with free clothes you need to disclose it. She knows this but is purposefully ignoring it. The more people that complain, the more likely they’ll actually pursue looking into her.

Baker23
Learner
Learner

Post by Baker23 »

RE: the whole, I'm not known in the US.
I UK isn't the middle of nowhere, we have our own successful market and according to metro she made 1.2 million so she's doing fine, and like she said she has a US audience it's just not enough to get invited to events in the US, but UK influencers are still catered to audience/market. J and S both thrive on controversy and hoping on bandwagons whether it be an actual trend or person. If she wants to go further into the U.S market she'll
a.) have to consider being bicoastal
b.) she'll be competing with the likes of chriselle/aimee/camila and she can't compete with them
c.)make friends with US bloggers, which she won't be able to do since she doesn't even have a "squad" in the UK, after all these eyes, and is still terribly shy, which is most evident on self portrait trips or FW.
Zoella never really took off in the US and she's still a top earner.
Also no one notices her fashion week because her style is dreadful, the bodysuit she wore (I think to the fendi show was horrible) she only look good in photos when it's taken by harrison. She needs to focus on a lane, she gets all these beauty products but never really reviews them, her hauls are sometimes sandwiched in vlogs which would turn off casual views, she rarely does lookbooks or "I spent or tested XX products, insightful bag reviews or hauls. The only consistent thing about her brand is her blog and hair colour.

QueenDecember
Informer
Informer

InTheFOMO - The Most Expressionful Influencer (Part 5)

Post by QueenDecember »

Baker23 wrote:RE: the whole, I'm not known in the US.
I UK isn't the middle of nowhere, we have our own successful market and according to metro she made 1.2 million so she's doing fine, and like she said she has a US audience it's just not enough to get invited to events in the US, but UK influencers are still catered to audience/market. J and S both thrive on controversy and hoping on bandwagons whether it be an actual trend or person. If she wants to go further into the U.S market she'll
a.) have to consider being bicoastal
b.) she'll be competing with the likes of chriselle/aimee/camila and she can't compete with them
c.)make friends with US bloggers, which she won't be able to do since she doesn't even have a "squad" in the UK, after all these eyes, and is still terribly shy, which is most evident on self portrait trips or FW.
Zoella never really took off in the US and she's still a top earner.
Also no one notices her fashion week because her style is dreadful, the bodysuit she wore (I think to the fendi show was horrible) she only look good in photos when it's taken by harrison. She needs to focus on a lane, she gets all these beauty products but never really reviews them, her hauls are sometimes sandwiched in vlogs which would turn off casual views, she rarely does lookbooks or "I spent or tested XX products, insightful bag reviews or hauls. The only consistent thing about her brand is her blog and hair colour.
Victoria doesn’t see herself accurately that’s for sure.

Plenty of international faces have made it in the US. I live in NYC and attend fashion week, it’s always an influx of global faces because fashion itself is a global industry.

The problem for Victoria is she doesn’t collaborate or play well with others. She also doesn’t invest the way these other successful fashion stars do. They make time and clearly invest their own money at the start of a relationship to cultivate a partnership with brands on a personal level. Victoria seemingly has NO personal connections with brands. If she attends a show, she’s never there connecting with the designer. She might talk about the makeup or tag the PR that invited her, but that’s it. She never goes to the re-sees which exist to create an environment where editors, buyers connect better with the brand because the shows themselves are a madhouse production and not optimal because of the time crunch to clear out for the next designer who has that runway.

Also, I’m pretty sure most (if not all) of these designers have ZERO clue who she even is and why would they if she’s not introducing herself? She hardly does anything with the content she gets at these shows either. She never shares the show notes, details about the collection and its inspirations etc. She quite literally WASTES the opportunity. Fashion shows are essentially just the latest backdrop for Victoria to be seen and promote HERSELF on Instagram.

AND she’s admittedly happy as a clam lounging at home so why does she mind anyway? Aimee, Leonnie, etc hustle and travel the globe for fashion constantly....and never complain about it either.

sororitygirl123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by sororitygirl123 »

I love the fact that her blog post explaining why Alex took her last name is an ad for Ted Baker. Not sure how they relate though? But I guess anything to make money...

palmer
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by palmer »

She doesn't even really explain the reason. Just says double-barelling their names was too long, and Alex randomly volunteered to take hers one day out of the blue, because he has a 'good relationship' with her family members. Correct me if you guys have a different perception from me, but it doesn't seem to me like they're that close to her family at all? It doesn't appear like they see them much - not that they seem close to Alex's family either. I just find that reason kind of weird. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great to a see a man take his wife's name for once (I don't plan to take my boyfriend's last name when we marry - I want to keep mine), but I feel like the main reason he took hers is because she's ~~famous~~ and he wants to make sure he gets associated with her or something.

Return to “Inthefrow”