Samantha Ravndahl - Fauxtographer & Frenemy - Part 5

hcburbs
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Samantha Ravndahl - Fauxtographer & Frenemy - Part 5

Post by hcburbs »

I don’t watch Sam but the release seems poorly done. Expensive products that we’ve seen before. Pricing is drawing a lot of comparisons to Natasha Denona by her stans, but many people clowned on ND early for the gaslight-y prices. Besides, With a built-in consumer base from the get, the high prices seem greedy.

Also, I hate the name of the brand? Two many vowels, but also because I see the world auricle, which is another word for ....ear.

this.on
Informer
Informer

Post by this.on »

fizzwizz12 wrote:it's gonna flop. if anyone, who lives in canada decides to try it out.. would love to hear the results. (i don't want anyone to have to pay more than they should for this already overpriced, non inclusive, not totally vegan, lame ass youtuber product)
It's actually in USD and coming from a warehouse in the US so it's going to have expensive shipping for Canadians cause most of her subscribers are in the US anyways. That being said...I'll still be ordering anyways so I can give an update lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

this.on
Informer
Informer

Post by this.on »

Sorry for the double post, but I'm also multiple shades paler than Samantha and so we'll see how the luminizer works on me. I used to always have to wear makeup that was too dark until Fenty came along and started making paler shades than most brands catering to only white people hues.

On her YouTube livestream the other day she said that she'd planned to also have an overweight and an older model for the brand but then covid-19 restrictions picked up and she got pregnant so she decided it was better not to risk it. Personally, I would have just sent the models the products and FaceTimed with them to walk them through application and had them take some photos on their own in front of a plain wall so I wouldn't come across as a hypocrite without risking anyone's health and safety.

Her website isn't live until the 26th at time of purchase it sounds like too. It should at least be linking to a page that just plays their teaser video or something. She doesn't even have swatches cause they didn't have enough time for that at the photo shoot, which she brought her mother to do she easily could have done her mother's makeup and taken a couple photos together for photos on more nature skin too.

Samantha has been working on this for MULTIPLE years and had the name picked out forever ago and was going to copyright it...but it seems like she really did nothing at all until the last minute? Did she even attempt to copyright it? Lol The Instagram is going by glow by auric even, she should have just changed names five years ago

fizzwizz12

Post by fizzwizz12 »

i dunno.. i'm curious how long Auric Beauty has been around. It's lazy. this is a lazy money grab. i called it from the beginning.
“I don't care what you are doing, so much as the idiotic way that you are doing it.”-vincent valentine

AppleBlossom
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by AppleBlossom »

I hate the name. Did she not even google to see if Auric was already in use by another company? Dumb. Her prices are outrageous for what amounts to a designer imposter brand.

CrackSpidersBish
Informer
Informer

Post by CrackSpidersBish »

Wait so she cancels Hourglass then comes out with her own dupes?

scamlifeguru
Informer
Informer

Post by scamlifeguru »

hcburbs wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:30 pm
I don’t watch Sam but the release seems poorly done. Expensive products that we’ve seen before. Pricing is drawing a lot of comparisons to Natasha Denona by her stans, but many people clowned on ND early for the gaslight-y prices. Besides, With a built-in consumer base from the get, the high prices seem greedy.

Also, I hate the name of the brand? Two many vowels, but also because I see the world auricle, which is another word for ....ear.
Hahahahaha I keep misreading it as "GARLIC." But putting jumbled letters vertically instead of in a row from left to right is probably qUiRkY and dIfFeReNt just like Sam :roll:

lemonmartini
Learner
Learner

Post by lemonmartini »

Her stans are defending the price point saying that before their brands were launched, we didn't know Pat, Charlotte and Natasha. Pat and Charlotte are world-renowned makeup artists and Natasha was also a makeup artist with high profile clients. They had all been in the business for decades before launching their own lines. Whereas these people are willing to throw their money at a "beauty guru" who turns on her camera and says "hey you guise" before proceeding to drone on with awkward pauses. You know the customer base will be the same people who have Jaclyn Hill's lipsticks and Twati's blendiful in their collection along with a wardrobe of overpriced youtuber "merch" - just waiting to throw their money at influencers who they think are their friends. It's quite sad.

fizzwizz12

Post by fizzwizz12 »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
lemonmartini wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:38 pm
Her stans are defending the price point saying that before their brands were launched, we didn't know Pat, Charlotte and Natasha. Pat and Charlotte are world-renowned makeup artists and Natasha was also a makeup artist with high profile clients. They had all been in the business for decades before launching their own lines. Whereas these people are willing to throw their money at a "beauty guru" who turns on her camera and says "hey you guise" before proceeding to drone on with awkward pauses. You know the customer base will be the same people who have Jaclyn Hill's lipsticks and Twati's blendiful in their collection along with a wardrobe of overpriced youtuber "merch" - just waiting to throw their money at influencers who they think are their friends. It's quite sad.
“I don't care what you are doing, so much as the idiotic way that you are doing it.”-vincent valentine

Viva7
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Viva7 »

She really thinks those prices are ok for a youtuber brand? Lol, we'll se how that will go.

I've clicked on a few videos of people getting the pr package and I feel like everyone is just kissing her ass and we're not getting any honest reviews/first impressions. Also, why did Jamie Paige get all the shades, what is she gonna do with the darker shades?!

She's playing that inclusivity card and yet the lightest shade looks too yellow and dark for true fair skintones...if the lightest shade matches her then they really missed it there. Also, she looked creepy mentioning all the models by name, pausing, or is it just me?

The whole speech about googling about gold and choosing the name is really weird, it makes no sense to me.

Cheshire_Cat03
Informer
Informer

Post by Cheshire_Cat03 »

Reddit is also starting to fall out of love with the brand, from what I can see. The more PR videos that pop up the less enamoured the reddit community seems to be, and rightfully so. Nobody on YouTube is giving an honest opinion of the brand (that and they’re all first impressions which aren’t really helpful) because they’re all friends of Sam or at the very least don’t want to seem unsupportive of a fellow youtuber so the videos (at least the ones I’ve watched) have been underwhelming.

I see a big portion of the complaints on reddit coming from the fact that not every product is vegan, and her eyeshadows use PET glitter in them. Which I mean the big selling point of her brand is that it’s supposed to be a cruelty free luxury brand - I know vegan & cruelty free don’t *have* to go hand in hand but when that’s the big seller of your brand you’d think they’d have that sorted before releasing the products.

The makeup collection is definitely not it for me. I mean I’m pretty oily so the skin luminizor isn’t my cup of tea but even if it was that shade “range” is laughable. The lightest shade being her skin match tells me it’s not light enough and tbh I’m tired of companies using the “it’s a skin tint!!” Excuse to only release like ... 5-7 shades.

The few videos I’ve seen the cap has also been absurdly difficult to remove?? She mentioned it would was a sturdy cap or whatever for travelling but the videos I’ve seen people have had to really try to get that cap off. That doesn’t seem terribly inclusive for disabled people? If it was really about it being travel friendly couldn’t she have just like... made the pump lock? I don’t know if that’s actually possible but making the lid hard to take off doesn’t seem like a great idea.

lemonmartini
Learner
Learner

Post by lemonmartini »

CrackSpidersBish wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:15 am
I was actually wondering about this. Hourglass hasn't exactly been inclusive since their inception, but she happily takes their money until she is on the verge of launching her own brand that is an hourglass dupe at the same price and sees herself as a competitor.

fizzwizz12

Post by fizzwizz12 »

on the discord we have sam stans.... what dopes.
someone tried to tell me "sam is a trained makeup artist" and i laughed...and laughed... and laughed.

CertainSparrow
Learner
Learner

Post by CertainSparrow »

lemonmartini wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:16 pm
CrackSpidersBish wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:15 am
I was actually wondering about this. Hourglass hasn't exactly been inclusive since their inception, but she happily takes their money until she is on the verge of launching her own brand that is an hourglass dupe at the same price and sees herself as a competitor.
I thought about this too. There's no way Sam would have responded the way she did if she were not coming out with her own brand.

How transparent.

Imladris14
Learner
Learner

Post by Imladris14 »

fizzwizz12 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:13 pm
someone tried to tell me "sam is a trained makeup artist" and i laughed...and laughed... and laughed.
I saw that comment too. I think even Sam herself has said that she was never trained but basically learned while she was going which isn't exactly the same thing and if I remember correctly she worked for MAC and they're not known to be the best at makeup artistry.

this.on
Informer
Informer

Post by this.on »

Imladris14 wrote:
fizzwizz12 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:13 pm
I saw that comment too. I think even Sam herself has said that she was never trained but basically learned while she was going which isn't exactly the same thing and if I remember correctly she worked for MAC and they're not known to be the best at makeup artistry.
She worked at MAC while she was going to makeup school, but then she never did get much experience before she started her YouTube channel.

She does have the MUA credentials and knowledge, but not the experience from actually working as an MUA aside from some jobs she did while she was in school. It was maybe only a year of working at MAC and freelancing as a MUA after she graduated at most.

So yes...but also no lol

fizzwizz12

Post by fizzwizz12 »

i'd just prefer to purchase makeup from people that have done a ton of different makeup looks on a ton of different faces. because they really know what's up through actual experience

you can get a piece of paper that says anything. it's how you do makeup on others aside from yourself that proves your skills. call me someone who actually likes to see the art and the talent.

this.on
Informer
Informer

Post by this.on »

fizzwizz12 wrote:i'd just prefer to purchase makeup from people that have done a ton of different makeup looks on a ton of different faces. because they really know what's up through actual experience

you can get a piece of paper that says anything. it's how you do makeup on others aside from yourself that proves your skills. call me someone who actually likes to see the art and the talent.
I absolutely agree that's she's inexperienced and hasn't done enough work on different skin tones and textures, and she really likes to play up how knowledgeable she is while doing the exact same sheer base and neutral eye.

But I can't say anything bad about her diploma because then it would make me question my unused college degree, which isn't something I can handle haha

nattydread

Post by nattydread »

fizzwizz12 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:11 pm
it's gonna flop. if anyone, who lives in canada decides to try it out.. would love to hear the results. (i don't want anyone to have to pay more than they should for this already overpriced, non inclusive, not totally vegan, lame ass youtuber product)

Not gonna lie, @Fizzwizz12 but looking at the demos on youtube so far, it looks like a nice product....EXCEPT for the price! I'm pretty broke anyway and I don't need any more makeup.....if it really is a dupe for CT Hollywood Flawless and itz still around in a year or two...I might consider getting it. Meh!

fizzwizz12

Post by fizzwizz12 »

nattydread wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:04 pm
fizzwizz12 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:11 pm
it's gonna flop. if anyone, who lives in canada decides to try it out.. would love to hear the results. (i don't want anyone to have to pay more than they should for this already overpriced, non inclusive, not totally vegan, lame ass youtuber product)

Not gonna lie, @Fizzwizz12 but looking at the demos on youtube so far, it looks like a nice product....EXCEPT for the price! I'm pretty broke anyway and I don't need any more makeup.....if it really is a dupe for CT Hollywood Flawless and itz still around in a year or two...I might consider getting it. Meh!
It does look like a nice product... and to be fair, i do wish her well with the launch. (even if i think it's far too overpriced for what it is, and that she should have hooked up the canadian market, since she complains about that constantly)

i hope that people enjoy the launch... but i also can't wait to hear reviews from the regular people like us... not the youtube crowd. :)
so if you do end up checking it out, i'd love to hear your honest review

Return to “Samantha Ravndahl”