YouTube Goths/Alternative People

carcino
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: YouTube Goths/Alternative People

Post by carcino »

Yeah, never like Angela Benedict much. I second the pretentious comment. She talks about elitists, and she literally is one.

And I kinda feel bad for It'sBlackFriday, but there's so much of her personal life we don't see that we don't have a true grasp of what she's like.

DreamSpeak
Learner
Learner

Post by DreamSpeak »

Also not a fan of Ms Benedict. She relies on the ''90s goth'' thing waaayyyyy too much. The majority of her videos are related to it. She acts as if it makes her somehow special or more of a 'true' goth. Girl, there were tons of 90s goths - you're not some goth unicorn.
With the elitist thing, every time she talks about/describes an elitist - she describes herself. Doesn't seem to realize it tho. She denounces elitists in one video, then in another says that if you didn't buy certain magazines, go to certain clubs, know certain bands, and can recite the history of goth at any given moment, then you're a poseur and are disrespecting the subculture and giving 'goth' a bad name.
(ok, so I made up the bit about reciting the history of goth, but you get my point)

ABronn
Stalker
Stalker

Post by ABronn »

I found Frejya's latest video catching up with Mr. Owl a bit.. awkward. Maybe it's just me but putting something so personal online feels a bit off. Hopefully she's OK now.

ToxicTears has been winding me up a bit lately, not going to bother to watch her videos anymore I don't think. I know it shouldn't but it really irks me how little interest she has of the UK/European goth scene, especially the music.

She's more into Japanese alternative culture than and it appears she only wears the "gothic look" for show. She's started streaming on Twitch lately and a lot of the conversations I read are a bit cringe.. she's constantly asked how she feels about x,y and z band, or if she's interested in going to a festival.. and she's never heard of them - all whilst listening to Abba, Scooter and random Japanese pop bands in the background.

Whatever the genre, (there's effin' tonnes!!).. I know not everyone is into New wave, EBM, Metal, Synth Pop.. but I'd have thought someone so heavily geared towards the "goth" audience would have knowledge of at least some of them. It's just to me the whole nature of "goth" has always been primarily based around alternative music.

Anyhoo, I digress - with Black Friday seemingly out of the picture on reporting on European goth scenes for the foreseeable future are there any other YouTubers worth keeping an eye? Preferably not ones that just do Killstar Hauls / Kat Von D make-up tutorials. I really like Coal Candy. And unfortunately Adora BatBrat seems to have gone silent on YT front recently.

Also what is with these girls suffering from really bad acne and covering it up with layers of foundation every single day? Surely that's only going to exasperate the problem. I appreciate they're very self conscious about their acne in the first place and maybe that's why they wear such heavy make-up.. but it all seems a bit counter intuitive. Forgive if I'm wrong, I know some people do have genuine medical reasons why their acne is so bad - but is a bit of a coincidence of the correlation with those wearing heavy foundation every day!

Fire in Her Eyes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Fire in Her Eyes »

ABronn, if you’re interested in the European Goth scene, I somehow video hopped my way onto a Dutch (?) you tuber by the name of Psychara. She’s interesting so far. There’s also her friends Manic Moth and Mai Magi. I don’t have a lot of males in my retinue sadly though this is something I am looking into. They’re kind of hardcore environmentalists/activists types but I like their aesthetic so far. They’re a bit more ‘earthy’ with some pagan influences. If I find some others in the scene I will add their names. :love2:

CynicalShrew
Lurker
Lurker

Post by CynicalShrew »

CrowRot wrote:Her pounce from Mr.Owl to Matthias was very odd to me. And I have a feeling she married Matthias for Germany citizenship, at least partially. She considers Germany a magic wonderland of Gothy things, I'm sure she wanted to stay.
It’s a bit pointless to marry in the eu just for citizenship though. She’s free to move and get a job in and country of the eu, at least for now, so it wouldn’t really make sense.

Eldritch_Observer
Learner
Learner

Post by Eldritch_Observer »

Hi, new forumer here. One really alternative person I've seen on Youtube is emiliafart. Incredibly funny & crazy. So I'm recommending her.
:HK: ♥ Gossip is just news running ahead of itself in a red satin dress. ♥ :HK:

Bunnni
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Bunnni »

This thread is probably dead af but does anyone else watch Hello Batty and is getting tired of the constant Disneyland content? I used to really love her back before she moved to California but now that she has it has kind of become one note for me. All of her videos consist of her just bopping around Disney and showing the park and food. Some Disney content is okay but I am not a huge fan of Disney myself and so I find myself being bored with her videos now. In the last 10 videos she has put out 6 of them have been Disney themed. It's kind of overkill? I'm sure there are a lot of other cool things to do in California and I'd love to see some of that. I know it's her content and she has the right to put out whatever she wants but I just end up skipping most of her videos now.

Hanhans88
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Hanhans88 »

Thread Resurrection!!!

So are there any good Goth Youtubers to watch anymore? I used to watch a lot back in the day (like right back to 2010...I'm old!) but they seem to have fallen off the platform.

I_grow_pumpkins
Learner
Learner

Post by I_grow_pumpkins »

^ I'm very new to goth in general, and the two I had started watching for makeup tutorials and whatnot (ReeRee Phillips and Snowy Lowther) both stopped uploading about 2 years ago, but early enough in 2020/2019 that it doesn't seem to be pandemic related. The algorithm doesn't suggest other goth youtubers to me for some reason.
"If you don't have anything nice to say, come sit next to me." -Alice Roosevelt Longworth :FU:

Return to “General and Miscellaneous”