Niomi Smart Part 2

wellhello
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Niomi Smart Part 2

Post by wellhello »

subbox wrote:Has anyone gotten the book? Any interesting recipes?

I was wondering that, too. As it's just come out, it's obviously quite hard to find good reviews of it.
When you go on the Amazon page for it, though, you can read that even though it was marketed as a book with easy and accessible recipes, the list of ingredients are often way too long and therefor expensive for people who live on a budget.

(not too sure, if I posted here before, as I haven't been on this site for a while. so, in case I haven't: hi :) )
"no more poems about how men are like coffee. i never needed either to survive."

crg93
Learner
Learner

Post by crg93 »

I was in Waterstones earlier today, so I had a quick skim through the book. It was already marketed as half price, so it was £10. Although I couldn't properly read the book, it looked professional and we'll structured, the few recipes I saw looked fairly easy to make and it looks like she explains why certain ingredients are good for you. Like I said, I didn't get to properly look through it, but it looked decent. Better than Tanya Bakes!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

crg93
Learner
Learner

Post by crg93 »

well structured* Sorry for the double post!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

wellhello
Lurker
Lurker

Post by wellhello »

here's the recipe list I got from the Amazon preview:
01 Breakfast
Smoothie Bowls – 3 Ways
Porridge – 3 Ways
Smooth Banana + Blueberry Oatmeal
Pear Quinoa Porridge
Overnight Oat Pots – 3 Ways
Granola
Muesli
Swiss Bircher Muesli
Onion + Sun-Dried Tomato Muffins
Avocado + Strawberry on Rye
Chia Jams
Chocolate Pancakes with Raspberry Sauce
Coconut Pancakes with Mango Sauce
Full English Breakfast
Creamy Mushrooms + Beans on Toast
Carrot + Ginger Granola Bars

02 Lunch
Greek Island Salad
Spicy Asian Tofu Salad
Roasted Fennel, Lentil + Fig Salad
Massaged Kale Caesar Salad
Grain Salads – 3 Ways
Warming Squash Soup
Kale Minestrone
Sweetcorn Chowder in Spelt Sourdough
Farmhouse Vegetable Soup
Creamy Carrot Soup with Roasted Broccoli
Gazpacho
Raw Pea + Courgette Soup
Chinese Cauliflower Rice with Pak Choy
Japanese Miso Aubergines
Roasted Pepper + Onion Pesto Tart

03 Dinner
Mexican Chilli Bowl
Beetroot Burgers
Squashetti + ‘Meatballs’
Mauritian Masala with Coconut Coriander Rice
Squash Pizza – 3 Ways
Mexican Wild Rice Lettuce Wraps
Indonesian Kebabs + Satay Sauce
Cauliflower ‘Steak’ with Chimichurri
Mediterranean Mezze
Vegetable Laksa
Mushroom Miso Hot Pot
Indian Dahl
Friday Night Curry
Shepherd’s Pie
Italian Stuffed Peppers
Bulgur Wheat Stuffed Courgettes
‘Cheesy’ Pasta Bake
Macaroni ‘Cheese’ with Roasted Tomatoes
Nut Wellington
Creamy Leek + Celeriac Pie
Quick Quinoa
Italian Farro + Bean Stew
Spring Garden Risotto

04 Sides + Snacks
Roasted Mediterranean Vegetables
Sweet Potatoes
Sunday-Lunch Sides
Homemade Tomato Ketchup
Staple Sides
Root Crisps
Houmous – 3 Ways
Dips
Rosemary Crackers
Oat Cakes
Energy Balls – 3 Ways
Raw Fig + Baobab Bars
Chocolate-Coated Banana Lollies
Chocolate + Fig Popcorn Bars
Blueberry Burst Dates
Bombay Popcorn

05 Dessert
After-Dinner Truffles
Raspberry + Lemon Ripple Cheesecake
Orange + Basil Tart
Apple + Apricot Crumble
Pecan Ice Cream with Salted Caramel Sauce
Banana Mocha Ice Cream Cups
Chocolate Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Easy Watermelon Sorbet
Ice Lollies – 3 Ways
Balinese Black Rice Pudding with Mango
Chocolate + Banana Chia Pudding
Banana + Choc Chip Muffins
Pecan + Date Biscuits
Orange Spiced Biscuits
Jammy Dodgers
Cinnamon Pecan Rolls with Maple Glaze
One-Dish Baked Cookies
Black Bean Banana Brownies
Chocolate Cupcakes with Coconut Cream Frosting
Date, Walnut + Banana Loaf
Carrot Cake Loaf + Lemon ‘Cream Cheese’
Beetroot Cake with Chocolate Ganache
Flapjacks – 3 Ways

06 Drinks
Homemade Refreshing Lemonade
Mocktails – 3 Ways
Maple Matcha Latte
Morning Detox Water
Sleepy Brew
Jewelled Ice Cubes
Smoothies
Pre- and Post-Workout Drinks
Green Juices – 3 Ways
Milkshakes – 3 Ways
Judging by the names, some of the recipes sound quite interesting and some don't (for example "smoothies" or "sweet potatoes"). But of course, you can't tell until you've read them.
"no more poems about how men are like coffee. i never needed either to survive."

lolita_blah
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by lolita_blah »

If this is what healthy looks like... no thank you.
She used to be stunning back in the day..
:love2:

soccer10
Informer
Informer

Post by soccer10 »

She's literally all stick/thiness. She has no muscle at all or shape. Someone earlier was spot on when they said she doesn't eat enough calories to gain muscle. Any muscle she had before has atrophied due to her lack of calories.

I like the outfit but she looks like a hanger.

YouslessTube
Naughty
Naughty

Post by YouslessTube »

she looks perfectly healthy to me. 8-) just cause she doesn't have "meat on her bones" or is on the thinner side doesn't mean she's not stunning or pretty anymore. she eats literally the healthiest things.

onigiri815
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by onigiri815 »

I think it's hard to tell if she is healthy or not - just because she is thin doesn't mean she isn't. I had a girl in High School as thin as that if not a tiny bit more so and no matter how healthy she ate (or unhealthy to put on 'bad' fat) she has never changed.
I actually want to know why that is a thing but right now she eats very well if not a little too picky.

voldemort
Learner
Learner

Post by voldemort »

So I took my little sister to meet Niomi on her book tour, and I can clarify that in the flesh she looks incredibly healthy, petite and her skin was fresh and glowy. She's evidently incredibly healthy. Also I flicked through her book on the way back and the recipes are very doable on a budget, she even lists what staple foods you need for the cupboards and what superfood powders there are and benefits of each. Very informative and I'd say rivalling deliciously Ella (certainly more aesthetically pleasing photography inside with marble and copper theme). Also she thanked Marcus in the acknowledgments which I thought was a lovely touch. And she was so sweet to my little sister and all the other teenage girls, she handled it very professionally and elegantly.
I have to say, it was bizarre how most of the people there were about 13 to me. The girls behind me and my sister were saying they wouldn't eat the food? My whole family are veggies so it figures why my sister wanted the book, but there were several who didn't even seem to be interested in the recipies. It was odd to me.

soccer10
Informer
Informer

Post by soccer10 »

voldemort wrote:So I took my little sister to meet Niomi on her book tour, and I can clarify that in the flesh she looks incredibly healthy, petite and her skin was fresh and glowy. She's evidently incredibly healthy. Also I flicked through her book on the way back and the recipes are very doable on a budget, she even lists what staple foods you need for the cupboards and what superfood powders there are and benefits of each. Very informative and I'd say rivalling deliciously Ella (certainly more aesthetically pleasing photography inside with marble and copper theme). Also she thanked Marcus in the acknowledgments which I thought was a lovely touch. And she was so sweet to my little sister and all the other teenage girls, she handled it very professionally and elegantly.
I have to say, it was bizarre how most of the people there were about 13 to me. The girls behind me and my sister were saying they wouldn't eat the food? My whole family are veggies so it figures why my sister wanted the book, but there were several who didn't even seem to be interested in the recipies. It was odd to me.
I guess most younger fans won't be cooking her recipes since they probably only eat what their parents make them. Her book is an all out cookbook, correct? There is no autobiography or other background to it? Maybe they're misinformed and think it is a bit of both? Or simply just want it because it is a Youtubers book. I'm thinking more of the latter. They're buying it to say they have it. Maybe they have a Youtuber book collection.

starviolet
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by starviolet »

To me there's no glimmer of doubt that she has an eating disorder. As someone who's had one too, it struck me immediately with her. An eating disorder is not just about how thin (or not) you look. It's her perception of food, and there's definitely a lot wrong with how she thinks about food. I'm sure it's all she thinks about. There are no foods that are 'bad' for you, as we all know it's all about moderation and frequency. No food should be demonised or completely stricken from your diet (unless you have a true diagnosed illness). I don't mean that about the vegan diet as such, that's something else (I don't want to start a vegan debate), but I have noticed another vegan youtuber with an eating disorder as well who demonises non-vegan food. It's definitely a phenomenon.

Oh and her posing in thumbnails is painfully awkward, she should quit.

onigiri815
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by onigiri815 »

voldemort wrote: I have to say, it was bizarre how most of the people there were about 13 to me. The girls behind me and my sister were saying they wouldn't eat the food? My whole family are veggies so it figures why my sister wanted the book, but there were several who didn't even seem to be interested in the recipies. It was odd to me.
Could be more for the beauty side of her? Even though the meet and greet was for the book it's still an opportunity to meet her!

voldemort
Learner
Learner

Post by voldemort »

Maybe it's because I haven't been to a YouTube event before, that's why it was alien to me.

Regarding her having an ED, do you think she worries about food? I think she just chooses to eat whole nutritious food as she knows how amazing it makes you feel. i really don't think she demonises other foods, but just has a preference for wellness as many people do.

elmox
Learner
Learner

Post by elmox »

starviolet wrote:To me there's no glimmer of doubt that she has an eating disorder. As someone who's had one too, it struck me immediately with her. An eating disorder is not just about how thin (or not) you look. It's her perception of food, and there's definitely a lot wrong with how she thinks about food. I'm sure it's all she thinks about. There are no foods that are 'bad' for you, as we all know it's all about moderation and frequency. No food should be demonised or completely stricken from your diet (unless you have a true diagnosed illness). I don't mean that about the vegan diet as such, that's something else (I don't want to start a vegan debate), but I have noticed another vegan youtuber with an eating disorder as well who demonises non-vegan food. It's definitely a phenomenon.

Who are you to say that no food should be completely stricken from someone else's diet? It's completely her choice and not unhealthy. As long as she's getting enough vitamins/nutrients there's no problem. I've met Niomi and she looks great. She doesn't get preachy about eating vegan/plant-based and she recently ran a marathon and wrote a cookbook so health is going to be a huge part of her life right now. Also, I think so many people are overweight now that it's seen as normal and that's not right.

starviolet
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by starviolet »

elmox wrote:
starviolet wrote:To me there's no glimmer of doubt that she has an eating disorder. As someone who's had one too, it struck me immediately with her. An eating disorder is not just about how thin (or not) you look. It's her perception of food, and there's definitely a lot wrong with how she thinks about food. I'm sure it's all she thinks about. There are no foods that are 'bad' for you, as we all know it's all about moderation and frequency. No food should be demonised or completely stricken from your diet (unless you have a true diagnosed illness). I don't mean that about the vegan diet as such, that's something else (I don't want to start a vegan debate), but I have noticed another vegan youtuber with an eating disorder as well who demonises non-vegan food. It's definitely a phenomenon.

Who are you to say that no food should be completely stricken from someone else's diet? It's completely her choice and not unhealthy. As long as she's getting enough vitamins/nutrients there's no problem. I've met Niomi and she looks great. She doesn't get preachy about eating vegan/plant-based and she recently ran a marathon and wrote a cookbook so health is going to be a huge part of her life right now. Also, I think so many people are overweight now that it's seen as normal and that's not right.
Lol my post is just that, an opinion, what I believe is true, just like yours is an opinion too and I can take it or leave it. That speaks for itself..

I agree that she doesn't preach and that's great, but it's worrying to see someone with an ED, imo, with a big audience like that, possibly influencing young girls into a fear of certain foods. She spreads a lot of good info about how to be healthy, but perhaps not just that.

Weird Vagina
Sparkling Unicorn
Sparkling Unicorn

Post by Weird Vagina »

soccer10 wrote:Maybe they have a Youtuber book collection.
oh god please kill me

YouslessTube
Naughty
Naughty

Post by YouslessTube »

Weird Vagina wrote:oh god please kill me
OT - your display picture/avatar always makes me laugh :rofl: I love it, it's so funny

Weird Vagina
Sparkling Unicorn
Sparkling Unicorn

Post by Weird Vagina »

YouslessTube wrote:
Weird Vagina wrote:oh god please kill me
OT - your display picture/avatar always makes me laugh :rofl: I love it, it's so funny

elmox
Learner
Learner

Post by elmox »

starviolet wrote:
elmox wrote:

Lol my post is just that, an opinion, what I believe is true, just like yours is an opinion too and I can take it or leave it. That speaks for itself..

I agree that she doesn't preach and that's great, but it's worrying to see someone with an ED, imo, with a big audience like that, possibly influencing young girls into a fear of certain foods. She spreads a lot of good info about how to be healthy, but perhaps not just that.
Lol, you're wrong though so don't state it like it's a fact. It seems like your own experience is making you overly sensitive about it. She could be setting worse examples to young girls, e.g. Zoe's pizza and takeaways 24/7

chocolate_eclair
Talker
Talker

Post by chocolate_eclair »

Elmox ppl like u is why no one likes vegans lol

Return to “Niomi Smart”