imfakeim - clothesencounters / Jenn Im part 6

pixelpoop
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: imfakeim - clothesencounters / Jenn Im part 6

Post by pixelpoop »

from the whiteboard we saw in her last vlog, I would guess their honeymoon will be in Greece. Unless she's announce a sponsored trip that I've missed.
They could hop over to the UK, celebrate with Ben's family/friends who couldn't make it to LA, and then go to Greece after!

sone0408
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by sone0408 »

pixelpoop wrote:from the whiteboard we saw in her last vlog, I would guess their honeymoon will be in Greece. Unless she's announce a sponsored trip that I've missed.
They could hop over to the UK, celebrate with Ben's family/friends who couldn't make it to LA, and then go to Greece after!
they said they're having a celebration in london so that's probably the plan, having the last wedding celebration and then going on their honeymoon somewhere in europe

waialepeach
Debater
Debater

Post by waialepeach »

Rant unrelated to all her wedding talk, I’ve personally been really bothered by the fact, or rather her lack thereof, that Jenn has not mentioned at all (to the best of my knowledge) anything about the current wave of Asians starring in movies, i.e. Crazy Rich Asians, To all the boys I’ve loved before, and most recently Searching.

For those who don’t know, they’ve been making pretty big headlines lately, especially CRA as the first all Asian cast movie in 25 years since the Joy Luck Club, and it broke their opening week box office expectations.
TALB is a Netflix romcom with an Asian female lead, which has also been really popular since it was released recently. Searching is a smaller movie but stars John Cho as the lead, and is also being ridden on CRA’s success wave.

So many Asian online influencers, athletes, and Hollywood celebrities alike have been promoting the f out of these, buying out theaters to give free tickets out to people so everyone can watch it. This is a HUGE moment in the Asian American community and Jenn has chosen to ignore all of it, either out of sheer ignorance or lack of care. (I was willing to cut her some slack during the movie release because it coincided with her wedding, but she’s had plenty of time to do other sponsored things since then.)

TLDR; For someone who made such a big deal in her Revolve speech(?) about growing up and not seeing anyone on screen who “looked like her,” it’s pretty disappointing to hear complete silence on her part. Disappointing, but not surprised.

waialepeach
Debater
Debater

Post by waialepeach »

Rant unrelated to all her wedding talk, I’ve personally been really bothered by the fact, or rather her lack thereof, that Jenn has not mentioned at all (to the best of my knowledge) anything about the current wave of Asians starring in movies, i.e. Crazy Rich Asians, To all the boys I’ve loved before, and most recently Searching.

For those who don’t know, they’ve been making pretty big headlines lately, especially CRA as the first all Asian cast movie in 25 years since the Joy Luck Club, and it broke their opening week box office expectations.
TALB is a Netflix romcom with an Asian female lead, which has also been really popular since it was released recently. Searching is a smaller movie but stars John Cho as the lead, and is also being ridden on CRA’s success wave.

So many Asian online influencers, athletes, and Hollywood celebrities alike have been promoting the f out of these, buying out theaters to give free tickets out to people so everyone can watch it. This is a HUGE moment in the Asian American community and Jenn has chosen to ignore all of it, either out of sheer ignorance or lack of care. (I was willing to cut her some slack during the movie release because it coincided with her wedding, but she’s had plenty of time to do other sponsored things since then.)

TLDR; For someone who made such a big deal in her Revolve speech(?) about growing up and not seeing anyone on screen who “looked like her,” it’s pretty disappointing to hear complete silence on her part. Disappointing, but not surprised.

astarialexi
Lurker
Lurker

Post by astarialexi »

waialepeach wrote:Rant unrelated to all her wedding talk, I’ve personally been really bothered by the fact, or rather her lack thereof, that Jenn has not mentioned at all (to the best of my knowledge) anything about the current wave of Asians starring in movies, i.e. Crazy Rich Asians, To all the boys I’ve loved before, and most recently Searching.

If I remember correctly, I think she mentioned CRA in one of her videos before. Not sure if it's the book or the movie though.

huevosrancheros
Lurker
Lurker

Post by huevosrancheros »

In her "The Bay with Bae + Wedding Hair Trial | July Vlog," she mentions that she goes to a screening for Crazy Rich Asians with Amy.

Isa93
Learner
Learner

Post by Isa93 »

astarialexi wrote:
waialepeach wrote:Rant unrelated to all her wedding talk, I’ve personally been really bothered by the fact, or rather her lack thereof, that Jenn has not mentioned at all (to the best of my knowledge) anything about the current wave of Asians starring in movies, i.e. Crazy Rich Asians, To all the boys I’ve loved before, and most recently Searching.

If I remember correctly, I think she mentioned CRA in one of her videos before. Not sure if it's the book or the movie though.
She did, she went to see the movie and also read the book

the_nomad
Informer
Informer

Post by the_nomad »

Mrs. Jolliffe has already done her "I'm proud to be Asian" quota for this year by putting out a video during Asian Pacific American Heritage month and as others have mentioned she has seen CRA. But other than that she hasn't really talked much about the movie or the influx of other Asian movies/releases this month. To be fair she was pretty busy with her wedding but Jenn's never been one to champion Asian movements unless she gets sponsored or invited to do so. It's rarely on her own volition.

"A unrefined banana- yellow on the outside, white on the inside" a quote from CRA that I think can best define Jenn.

ebbnflow
Learner
Learner

Post by ebbnflow »

Isa93 wrote:
astarialexi wrote:

Wait, when was this? I recently saw an insta vid of her on one of those Asian social media and she was at the CRA premiere. The interviewer asked her to do a little shoutout and she said she's JUST finished the book and is super excited to see the movie, and then one of the commenters said: "wait but there are 3 books". Really weird, did she actually read it or not?

Isa93
Learner
Learner

Post by Isa93 »

ebbnflow wrote:
Isa93 wrote:
astarialexi wrote:

Wait, when was this? I recently saw an insta vid of her on one of those Asian social media and she was at the CRA premiere. The interviewer asked her to do a little shoutout and she said she's JUST finished the book and is super excited to see the movie, and then one of the commenters said: "wait but there are 3 books". Really weird, did she actually read it or not?
It was in her July vlog according to a post here. I also didn't know there were 3 books but they are not my cup of tea and I'm not claiming anything LOL Maybe the other 2 books are not related to the story of this movie in particular?

bookworm88
Talker
Talker

Post by bookworm88 »

Isa93 wrote:It was in her July vlog according to a post here. I also didn't know there were 3 books but they are not my cup of tea and I'm not claiming anything LOL Maybe the other 2 books are not related to the story of this movie in particular?
Kevin Kwan has written 3 books: Crazy Rich Asians (book 1- the movie that's out in theaters right now), China Rich Girlfriend, and then Rich People Problems. The movie is only about the first book's storyline.

I wouldn't be surprised if she mentions To All The Boys I've Loved Before in her next faves. Isn't it about an Asian girl with white boy crushes?

freemyse0ul
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by freemyse0ul »

bookworm88 wrote:
Isa93 wrote:It was in her July vlog according to a post here. I also didn't know there were 3 books but they are not my cup of tea and I'm not claiming anything LOL Maybe the other 2 books are not related to the story of this movie in particular?
Kevin Kwan has written 3 books: Crazy Rich Asians (book 1- the movie that's out in theaters right now), China Rich Girlfriend, and then Rich People Problems. The movie is only about the first book's storyline.

I wouldn't be surprised if she mentions To All The Boys I've Loved Before in her next faves. Isn't it about an Asian girl with white boy crushes?

Uhh am i the only one who is a bit annoyed by to all the boys...? No matter where i click i see people talk about it. To me it seems like a very basic, cliché movie tbh. Nothing very special. The guy is cute (tho not white if i remember correctly?) but that’s not enough reason for me to watch it lmao

vanillafilter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by vanillafilter »

Return to “Jenn Im”