Food stamps anyone?

catcherintherye
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Food stamps anyone?

Post by catcherintherye »

LadyKaiko wrote:I used to work at Zaxby's, and it always made me laugh when extremely overweight people would order lots of chicken and wings, but ordered a diet drink. Or they would order a zalad and lots of dressing. I soaked my zalads in dressing too, as well as ordered them with no tomatoes, cucumbers, or fried onions (just the chicken, lettuce, and cheese). But I didn't act like they were healthy for me because they were far from it. Lol
Lol! A lady in my husband's family eats pizza because 'she has to get her vegetables'. Her salad has more croutons than lettuce and is if there are no croutons she soaks her salads in ranch. Smh. People are dumb

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Post by LadyKaiko »

@catcherintherye: I honestly don't care if people want to eat healthy or unhealthy. It's their body, not mine. But I HATE when some people that eat healthy act like they're better than others because they eat healthy, or some people who eat unhealthy complain about being fat but continue to eat bad. It pisses me off. I'm sure I have the heart of an obese person and I eat terrible but you don't hear me bitching about my diet and weight.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

LadyKaiko wrote:@catcherintherye: I honestly don't care if people want to eat healthy or unhealthy. It's their body, not mine. But I HATE when some people that eat healthy act like they're better than others because they eat healthy, or some people who eat unhealthy complain about being fat but continue to eat bad. It pisses me off. I'm sure I have the heart of an obese person and I eat terrible but you don't hear me bitching about my diet and weight.
I would never presume to tell people what to eat. I eat as healthy as possible, but I still struggle with my weight. I have random people who try to advise me about my diet, without even knowing how I eat and that's so annoying. My biggest struggle is always trying to get enough exercise ... my diet is fine and people forget that, especially for women, it's not always as simple as "calories in, calories out." I wish it were ... then I'd have the body of a super model by now! LOL

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

moomin. wrote:
Kleineganz wrote:
I hate cooking for just 1. It really limits the recipes I make (sure I can "halve" my ingredients, but sorry I don't own an 1/16th tsp at the moment). It's just easier to go out when he wants to go out, and I can make healthy choices at restaurants.
I'm sorry but that's just bullshit. It's your life and choices, but don't try and take the moral high ground when you are hardly a shining example.
How am I taking "the moral high ground" here? I'm just being honest ... I hate cooking for just 1. Where's the high ground?

thismustbetheplace
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by thismustbetheplace »

Kleineganz wrote:My husband and I eat out for dinner 5-7 days/ week ... Personally I would prefer cooking, but he's so super picky with his food and whines if he "has" to eat left overs. Fighting with him is no use either unfortunately so we just go out. I do insist we go to local restaurants, preferably ones that are "farm to fork," and never a chain. I can eat fairly healthy at places like those. He'll order a pizza, while I order a salad (dressing on the side ... I never use the full amount of dressing they would put on a salad).

My husband has suffered from depression and anxiety for years (and is in therapy and on medication for them), along with sleep apnea, but now he also has high blood pressure, a thyroid condition, and who knows what else. I keep trying to make him eat healthier and exercise, but he'll throw a tantrum like a child when I do. *sigh* ... why don't men ever grow up?
I would never stand for that. My boyfriend never cooks and only eats out at restaurants (he used to eat only fast food but I'm slowly pushing him to make healthier choices, and even eat vegetables), and I've made it very clear to him that if we get married (we're planning to get married so this isn't just conjecture), I expect him not only to eat whatever dinner I make, including salad, but also to learn how to cook and do so if I don't feel like it. Unfortunately, we are currently in a long distance relationship because I'm at college, and I know that he isn't going to cook on his own unless someone makes him do it. He has a very demanding job (60 hrs/week) and doesn't have time, energy, or desire to do so. He does try to eat more vegetables now, but most of his diet is still unhealthy.

Honestly though I worry about what his years of not eating healthy might have done to his health. He's 31 now and he probably hasn't eaten healthy on a regular basis since he was 18 and went off to college. He always says that he doesn't have any health problems, but that's because he's still young and has good genetics and works out a lot. Do you guys think this stuff is reversible, or will he still have health problems down the road even if he starts eating healthy now?

BTW, I sent him several comments from this thread as inspiration/propaganda to get him to eat healthier.

As for cooking for one, I remember Nigella Lawson had a TV show that I saw on PBS once about cooking nice meals for one person. Maybe if they have some of those on youtube or somewhere else, you could get some ideas? There are probably websites with recipes for one also.

guestgue

Post by guestgue »

Kleineganz wrote:
moomin. wrote:
Kleineganz wrote:
I hate cooking for just 1. It really limits the recipes I make (sure I can "halve" my ingredients, but sorry I don't own an 1/16th tsp at the moment). It's just easier to go out when he wants to go out, and I can make healthy choices at restaurants.
I'm sorry but that's just bullshit. It's your life and choices, but don't try and take the moral high ground when you are hardly a shining example.
How am I taking "the moral high ground" here? I'm just being honest ... I hate cooking for just 1. Where's the high ground?
I totally get the hating to cook for one. My solution is just to make everything in normal portions and then freeze it. It's harder with pastas, but I find that just as easy to measure down the amount and freeze sauce if need be. However, I do eat a lot of soups, stews and chilies which are easier to freeze than other things. And stir-fry which I cook and freeze in individual portions and just add noodles or rice when I decide I want it.

I have to make a lot of meals for one because the boy and I are on such opposite schedules and typically only see one another for dinner once, maybe twice a week.

Pinkiegurf24
Debater
Debater

Post by Pinkiegurf24 »

We used to get food stamps and Medicaid.
Now we make to much to receive them, but not enough to be able to buy our own..

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

@Kleineganz: I'm actually slim thanks to a high metaboslism, but I'm waiting for it to slow down so I can actually gain weight. Until then, I'll take advantage of being able to eat shit and be slim. Lol. But yes, I don't tell people what they should and shouldn't eat. Sometimes in my mind, but not out loud. That's just rude. :/

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

Cooking for one is always a pain. Now, that's the time when I'd just rather go make the easiest and laziest decision possible because taking the time to make a meal and do the dishes afterward is just so unappealing when I'm the only one eating lol.

Also, @LadyKaiko, I don't think anyone on here is telling you what to eat. They're just talking objectively about things from what I've seen.

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

@wanderlust: I know. Did I give off the vibe that I thought people were?? If I did, I'm sorry. I wasn't saying that at all. I was just adding to the conversation. Sorry again. :/

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

LadyKaiko wrote:@wanderlust: I know. Did I give off the vibe that I thought people were?? If I did, I'm sorry. I wasn't saying that at all. I was just adding to the conversation. Sorry again. :/
oh ok, I thought you were insinuating that someone was. No prob :)

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Angie V »

You can look healthy on the outside but be a wreck on the inside, that's why the term 'skinny-fat' exists. That's all I'll say about that.
imma ball til the day i fall

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

Yeah, I'm more than likely skinny-fat. :I Oh well. Lol

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

guestgue wrote:
Kleineganz wrote:
moomin. wrote: I'm sorry but that's just bullshit. It's your life and choices, but don't try and take the moral high ground when you are hardly a shining example.
I totally get the hating to cook for one. My solution is just to make everything in normal portions and then freeze it. It's harder with pastas, but I find that just as easy to measure down the amount and freeze sauce if need be. However, I do eat a lot of soups, stews and chilies which are easier to freeze than other things. And stir-fry which I cook and freeze in individual portions and just add noodles or rice when I decide I want it.

I have to make a lot of meals for one because the boy and I are on such opposite schedules and typically only see one another for dinner once, maybe twice a week.
I used to do that when I was living alone. I would make a big pot of *something* on Sunday and freeze them in 1 cup servings. I'd usually have enough for lunch and dinner the rest of the week. However, if I send the hubby off to eat on his own, he always makes really unhealthy choices. If I go with him I can make sure he subs a salad for those fries.

I'm also trying to get him to participate in an 8-week "healthy weight" program at our gym. I've even offered to pay for it, but he's dragging his feet on it. I have to wait to see if they have any news about potential layoffs this week, then I'll nag him about it again.

catcherintherye
Gossiper
Gossiper

Kleineganz wrote:
LadyKaiko wrote:@catcherintherye: I honestly don't care if people want to eat healthy or unhealthy. It's their body, not mine. But I HATE when some people that eat healthy act like they're better than others because they eat healthy, or some people who eat unhealthy complain about being fat but continue to eat bad. It pisses me off. I'm sure I have the heart of an obese person and I eat terrible but you don't hear me bitching about my diet and weight.
I would never presume to tell people what to eat. I eat as healthy as possible, but I still struggle with my weight. I have random people who try to advise me about my diet, without even knowing how I eat and that's so annoying. My biggest struggle is always trying to get enough exercise ... my diet is fine and people forget that, especially for women, it's not always as simple as "calories in, calories out." I wish it were ... then I'd have the body of a super model by now! LOL
I know what you mean and none of my comments were directed at you. It's preposterous of people to give you unsolicited advice. I was just trying to establish how people have a strange outlook towards eating healthy.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

catcherintherye wrote:
Kleineganz wrote:
I know what you mean and none of my comments were directed at you. It's preposterous of people to give you unsolicited advice. I was just trying to establish how people have a strange outlook towards eating healthy.
Oh I know you weren't directing at me ... I just wanted to add my 2 cents. :D

nicheee
Talker
Talker

Post by nicheee »

Since my mom lost her job during the recession a couple years ago, she's been unemployed on and off. Then my parents divorced so idk how my mom lasted so long, I guess the embarrassment behind it, but as of last year my family has been on and off food stamps. We keep losing it because i work part time while at school and they claim I make too much money even though I'm not the head of household and I make crap money lol.. New Jersey kinda sucks with it. Anywho.. We don't really buy junk food with it. Nor cheap canned food and ramen lol not knocking anyone who does. My mom is more of a person who would rather buy stuff to make a big meal on Sunday to last throughout the week. So a lot of it ends up being stuff she needs rather than trying to just buy as much food as possible. It's helped when we had it. Although we did cheat and buy seafood over the summer just because we hadn't had it in a while.. eeeee don't attack me for that one lmao

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

@nicheee: My sister, as a way of saying thank you for me giving her rides to places, bought sushi for me today using her food stamps. I love sushi. I love seafood. ^_^ It sucks that y'all lose it on and off. I don't see they would factor in your money if you're not a parent. But I don't know much about food stamps, so I can't talk.

catcherintherye
Gossiper
Gossiper

I think I am not in a position to give you any advice, Kleineganz. lived alone for nine years so cooking for one is second nature to me. I still cook for one because my food is mostly vegan. I didn't have a refrigerator for the nine years I lived alone so I had to cook at least twice a day. I find my cooking inspiration on Pinterest.

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

@nicheee: I also don't understand why it's embareassing to be on government assistance. No one should feel embarrassed about being on food stamps or welfare. Sometimes you need help and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

Return to “Finance”