Long Distance/Online Relationships

HattieChaos
Naughty
Naughty
Has thanked: 0

Re: Long Distance/Online Relationships

Post by HattieChaos »

This is going to be a long one!

I met my boyfriend on Omegle at the end of 2011. I was only 15 at the time, he was 21 and in his last year of a combined philosophy and history degree at university. I know there's quite a difference there, haha. We weren't romantic instantly, but we quickly became very close friends and he was the one I went to for everything. I mostly liked how smart he was, and vice versa. Plus, just a month before we "met", I had started a philosophy class, so we had that in common too.

Both of us have had quite severe problems with mental health in the past. In January of this year, I was suicidal and I confided in him about it. After an all-nighter of talking about it, he asked me to move in with him. This isn't the thread for it, so I won't go into a huge essay about my situation etc., but basically I was in an abusive environment that ended up causing me to have to leave school, jeapordizing my ambitions, and I just didn't feel I could go on. So his idea was that a fresh start at life, far away from home, would fix that. His offer obviously wasn't just that I move in with him, but that he quite literally pays for the next two years of my life, seeing as I wouldn't be able to claim for anything substantial at my age (17 right now).

As crazy as it was, and with some hesitation, I agreed, and after a few failed tries at different areas, we settled on moving to Devon where some of his family are. I applied and got into a Grammar School and in July, I had an induction at it. So that's when we met for the first time.

That's when the romantic part started, and it was kind of expected because we knew we both liked each other but I still didn't expect it to go as fast as it did. I'm trying to keep this as short as I can, so I guess because of our ages and how this whole thing started etc. we probably seem really unstable, but I beg to differ. I'm actually really proud of us and the way it's all worked out.

I moved in a few days ago and I start school on the 4th. I moved from central Scotland to Devon which is on the south coast of England - it probably doesn't seem that far but it's far enough that I won't see my family again for years. It was scary, but not really. I have always felt like I've been "alone" in that house, so leaving the family environment wasn't too hard at all. Our flat is really nice and we're living pretty comfortably. I feel like a bad feminist for essentially living off him, of course, but I do intend to pay back my half of what he spends in these two years once I begin to earn money after uni. The rent and so on is paid already because I'm able to claim for some money (not enough to live off on my own, but enough for rent and spending money on stuff besides food) so I guess I'm not *entirely* dependent. Mosty I'm just thankful to him and will be for the rest of my life. And I can't believe such a life-changing relationship came from Omegle, haha!!

Diva.
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Post by Diva. »

I met my ex-boyfriend on the internet. My best friend met him on a World of Warcraft server and he kind of introduced us. We started talking and we really liked each other. I was thirteen and he was seventeen though so it was kind of weird for both of us, especially my mother wasn't very fond of the idea. She kind of forbid us to meet each other in real life, but oh well, I was a rebellious cunt so I visited him anyway. We lived two hours away from each other. We ended up dating for fourteen months and my mom found out after three, and it didn't take long for her to accept him. We broke up though. He was kind of a bad decision for me, not because of his age or because of the distance, he just wasn't a really good guy. But I am happy to mad that mistake because I learned a lot from it. The distance was really hard, but I don't think it's impossible for a LDR to last.

pandaaa
Informer
Informer

Post by pandaaa »

I wanna try it but idk if my best friends would understand me...

MamatoanAngel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by MamatoanAngel »

Diva. wrote:I met my ex-boyfriend on the internet. My best friend met him on a World of Warcraft server and he kind of introduced us. We started talking and we really liked each other. I was thirteen and he was seventeen though so it was kind of weird for both of us, especially my mother wasn't very fond of the idea. She kind of forbid us to meet each other in real life, but oh well, I was a rebellious c*nt so I visited him anyway. We lived two hours away from each other. We ended up dating for fourteen months and my mom found out after three, and it didn't take long for her to accept him. We broke up though. He was kind of a bad decision for me, not because of his age or because of the distance, he just wasn't a really good guy. But I am happy to mad that mistake because I learned a lot from it. The distance was really hard, but I don't think it's impossible for a LDR to last.
I met my ex on World of Warcraft lol,but we dated for four years.Interesting how people can meet on a game.

peetharolls
Talker
Talker

Post by peetharolls »

pandaaa wrote:I wanna try it but idk if my best friends would understand me...
Just try it, not every one will understand but if its something you want to do, go for it.

peetharolls
Talker
Talker

Post by peetharolls »

bip wrote:
peetharolls wrote:I met my boyfriend online in 2010. He lives and goes to school in Georgia. I live in Virginia. I think LDRs can definitely work but only if the couple is willing to make it work. It gets hard because our work and school schedules never matched so I didn't get to actually meet him until 2012. In July we celebrated our 3 years being together and we went on a cruise to the Bahamas. I am moving down there in January to finish college and were getting a place together!! If you do find someone on the Internet, always do research to confirm who they are. There are some weirdos out there lol
Where does he live? I go to college in GA, so I am just curious!
Hey! He went to UGA-Griffin but he's going to the Athens campus in January and I'm going to Mercer in January

Batila
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Batila »

I met my bf on mocospace back in 2010 we are still together. I moved from IL to Tx to be with him my mom was pissed at first but eventually she came around. We also have a 1yr old now. I do find it awkward telling people how we met cuz not everyone is so accepting of online relationships.

ItsRawrzz
Informer
Informer

Post by ItsRawrzz »

I met my boyfriend in person, but sometime near the end of the year, he's going from the UK to Dubai or Pakistan to start up his own business with close friends and business owners. So it's going to end up being a long distance, mostly-online relationship. He's already told me he wants to continue being together, and wants me to visit him, and he'll visit me when I'm on my Easter/Christmas/Summer holidays. But that's still just three times in a year, and I'm slightly anxious about it (silly really, considering it's not going to happen until October-ish time). I don't really know how I'll manage. I don't *need* to be with him in person all the time - I'm not like that at all - plus I only really get to see him properly once a week anyway if we're both free (although I see him at least three or four times a week as I pass him at work and chat). But I think after some time, I'm going to miss that physical contact: hugs and his actual company. I still have two years left of university, so it's going to be a long haul before I can even consider moving out there to be with him IF we're still together.

We've not even been together that long, but it's pretty serious and I do like him a lot, and he likes me and I don't want to just call it quits without giving the idea of a LDR a shot at least... and then at the same time, I don't particularly know how I'll be without seeing him. I naturally tend to detach myself emotionally from people to avoid any sort of hurt feelings on my part, and I don't want to find myself doing that to try and cope with the distance factor because that's not fair on him at ALL. I guess I'm just crappy at this relationship stuff haha.

Gah, I dunno... I'm just gonna take it one day at a time, and figure out where to go when October comes, I guess XD

ECH
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ECH »

I have a sort of friends with benefits situation going on with a guy at the opposite end of the country. Little bit awkward since we don't see each other much. But yeah, it seems to work fine for us but I think if there was emotional involvement it would be always impossible for me to deal with.

lacrymosa
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by lacrymosa »

I met an ex on xbox live of all places. I don't know why but when we met each other in person it just complicated things. He got really possessive over me and extremely jealous and everything just changed. We literally had the most perfect thing going online but it just didn't work in person. I can't really explain it but it's put me off online dating again. Took me so long to get over it.

Dahlia
Debater
Debater

Post by Dahlia »

I met this guy on Doki Doki in early 2012 or so and we continued to talk regularly on Kakaotalk, Skype and Facebook. It's difficult because him being in Korea and I being in California time zones and distances keep us from actually being together even though we have feelings for each other we just know it might not work. I hope that I can visit him in Seoul someday soon. Sigh :/ ㅠㅠ

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

whoawhoawhoa

Post by whoawhoawhoa »

Wat
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Wat »

Kinda OT, but my boyfriend's birthday is coming up soon, and I want to send him stuff for his birthday. He lives in Belgium, I'm in the US. Anyone know of any cute things that I can send him?

badbitchlikethis
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by badbitchlikethis »

Crazily enough my experience is very similar to Estee (EssieButton) and her boyfriend Aslan!

I met my boyfriend on a random night on Omegle as well. We chatted all night, he asked for my email in case we ever wanted to talk again. I didn't expect anything to come from it, but he emailed me the next morning and from then on we talked constantly every single day and went on Skype every night (no cat fishing haha). I was 19 and living in Canada, he was 25 from the US. After four months of online dating, I flew down to meet him in person... visited for a week, we had such a romantic time together and decided to official be in a relationship. After that, I was flying back and forth to visit every couple months. After a year and a half of long distance, I moved to the US to be with him and go to college. We've been living together almost a year now and together for 2. We plan on getting married one day <3

Long distance is hard, you really have to be patient, trusting, and committed to make it work (especially an international relationship). But when you see each other, it's like falling in love all over again and your time together is so special. To be honest, other than missing each other we didn't really have many problems as far as trust issues or cheating. The hardest part is just the stress of having to wait to be with someone you love. It's soooo worth it though!

Selia11
Debater
Debater

Post by Selia11 »

I met my husband in late March 2019 on a dating website, we exchanged ig accounts and I left him on seen for a week when he asked for my number. We started talking on WhatsApp and then he flew from the US to my country to see me in person in late April early May 2019. He visited again in January 2020 and proposed to me. We were planning to celebrate our first anniversary together but sadly Covid hit ☹️
We got married last January and tbh it’s hard to be in a LDR especially when you are married. I can’t wait to graduate in June 2022 so that we can start living together 🥺

Return to “Long Distance Relationship”