Can't date me because of horrible anxiety?

Forum rules
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Hours: Available 24 hours a day!
800-273-8255

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

I met this girl on POF about a month ago who was literally my twin, we had everything in common and we talked for hours upon hours about everything from TV, to music, to the world. She told me she's had some pretty traumatic things happen to her in her past and how her ex girlfriend has basically messed her up real good, and that she had horrible anxiety and depression. She went to therapy regularly, took medication and I assured her that it was okay and that I would be by her side through it all.

When we finally met up in person, it was perfect, everything went amazingly well. She told me she really liked me, that I was beautiful, perfect, and she wanted me super bad but she told me that getting into this relationship was causing her major anxiety and she just "couldn't do it" right now. She said she still wanted to keep in touch, but, I haven't heard from her since. I'm over it, but I still have questions in the back of my mind because everything went great and then suddenly she couldn't date me, even though she told me she was ready for a relationship.

Has anxiety/depression ever stopped you from dating someone?

bits
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by bits »

Yeah, and it sucks because it just turns into this cycle of negative thinking that makes things worse and worse. I just mentioned on another thread how I have depression but the core of that is coming from my anxiety issues about my self-esteem (or lack there-of). I've always had a super negative self-image, basically I think I'm too awful and gross of a person to be around. I don't really understand why even my friends hang out with me, and so romantic relationships have been nearly impossible. I have a super negative relationship with my body image and that's really what it comes down to. It sounds weird when I say it, but when people are nice to me I don't understand why because I think I'm so gross, and so whenever I've been in a position to take a relationship to a somewhat serious level I always freak out and say something stupid to ruin it. I always end up feeling so bad for the otherperson because I know it's not fair to them. I truly think the phrase 'you need to love yourself before someone else can' is true, and I think loving yourself is something that can take a while. Right now I'm at the point with someone where it's casual possibly turning serious and I'm already starting to feel awful. So in my experience my anxiety/depression just makes dating an even more difficult thing than it already can be.

I'm not sure I have any advice. Maybe try and contact her to see if she's willing to open up more in a low-pressure kind of situation. I wouldn't take the not hearing from her as a total no-go, since I usually cloister myself away just because I think I'm annoying people when it reality that's not the case.
@zoella shove ya gingerbread cutter up ya arse xoxo

Return to “Mental Health”