https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
TinyStar1711
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mom wants me to go on depression meds

Post by TinyStar1711 »

Long story short, I suffer from chronic depression. It's so bad I don't want to go to school or get out of bed. Every 2 months or so I'll have thoughts about suicide, I finally told my mom and she was like I want you to get on depression meds blah blah blah... I honestly don't want to be on meds. I've never been on them so idk what to expect,but I don't want the feeling of being content to false because of some pills. I want to truly experience being happy and content with life,not doped up on meds so I won't go off the deep end and hurt myself.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm crazy :/ I just...idk I'm 21 and I'm being told if i don't do it I'll be kicked out of the house...

Idk what to do...
ImageImage

KatherinePierce
Debater
Debater

Re: Mom wants me to go on depression meds

Post by KatherinePierce »

Aw, it's okay! Your mom only means well. I've been on anti depressants since I was 13, 17 now, for depression/anxiety. I totally relate to how you're feeling! You're not crazy. :)

Chances are, you won't be doped on meds. You'll more than likely start on a small dosage and then work your way up, depending on your reaction to the medication. At first, you may not feel a difference, or maybe you will. The first time I took them, it felt really strange. It only really feels strange that first time you take the pill - or in my experience anyway.

Medication doesn't do everything, of course. You also have to do things to work with the pill. I was still a wreck, despite being on medication. I went to counseling, the first counselor didn't help, but the second one that I see currently has. Talking to her, meditation, and plenty of other things have helped me stay on track and move forward. If you do decide to go on medication, I highly recommend you see a counselor too.

I've seen my brother face the worst with anti depressants. It made me scared to take them. I practically cried the very first time I went to take them. Just relax! It will be okay! If you're reacting in a way that doesn't make you feel comfortable at first, make sure to get a hold of your doctor, or go straight to the ER.

I hope I helped!
I used to be bitemytonguex.

Bae
Debater
Debater

Post by Bae »

I feel you. I am on Lexapro right now 20mg which was increased in November from 10mg. It is not a pill that you are on for the rest of your life. You are eventually titrated off of it. Have you sought intensive therapy treatment? Such as day programs? those really helped me, and I no longer find the need to be on such a high dosage of pills. Good Luck

Rosewynn
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Rosewynn »

My mom also was the one who 'forced' me to seek treatment. She couldn't bear the sight and sounds of my bawling all day long in my room.

I was on pills for my depression (I have PTSD and social anxiety which caused depression) from about 18 to 24 years old. They did me a world of good while I was on them. I didn't experience feeling 'nothing' even on the strongest dose I just didn't feel like I had to cry or sleep all day anymore. It took me about a year to find the right pill and dosage for me. So do NOT get worked up if the first or second or even third tries don't work out. And of course if you ever feel more depressed/suicidal make sure your doctor knows. When I was 24 I woke up one day and thought, "I don't think I need these pills anymore." I told my doctor and together we weaned me off of them over a year so I never felt any withdrawal. You will most likely NOT be on them for life. For me I think it was age/maturity that made me able to cope (I still have both conditions) without the pills. BUT I do not regret for one second being on them. I would either still be a recluse confined to my bedroom sobbing, institutionalized, or dead, I have no doubt without the meds.

Just make sure you find a great doctor (do research!) and a doctor that you feel understands your fears about medication and will work with you regardless. Therapy was recommended to me along with my medication but after a few times of going I stopped because it wasn't helping me. But it does help a LOT of people so don't brush that off until you try it.

I hope you're able to find something that works the best for you, but don't be scared to use 'crutches' to help you until you're able to heal.

sha1234

Post by sha1234 »

TinyStar1711 wrote:Long story short, I suffer from chronic depression. It's so bad I don't want to go to school or get out of bed. Every 2 months or so I'll have thoughts about suicide, I finally told my mom and she was like I want you to get on depression meds blah blah blah... I honestly don't want to be on meds. I've never been on them so idk what to expect,but I don't want the feeling of being content to false because of some pills. I want to truly experience being happy and content with life,not doped up on meds so I won't go off the deep end and hurt myself.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm crazy :/ I just...idk I'm 21 and I'm being told if i don't do it I'll be kicked out of the house...

Idk what to do...
So I also suffer bouts of depression and anxiety...and have been to in spots where I too contemplated suicide. I'm sorry that you are going through this. My issues are mainly linked to hormone/chemical imbalance and menstrual problems. I've gone the natural route and used maca powder to re-balance my body whenever issues arise, and for day to day anxiety I use the herb rhodiola.

I applaud you reaching out for help. There are other options out there, and I am not a doctor so I can't tell you what to do, nor am I necessarily recommending what I am taking.

You can seek out a therapist to talk - for emotional distress. You can go the medical route with prescriptions or go the natural route and speak to a naturopathic doctor. I think it's important to figure out why you're depressed so you can begin to heal and treat it.

Return to “Mental Health”