Atheism/Atheist Tag/Living as an Atheist

Username
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Atheism/Atheist Tag/Living as an Atheist

Post by Username »

Uhlizubeth wrote:
hoppinginpuddles wrote:I think Obama is agnostic.
He's a Christian.
He claims to be Christian, but so have all U.S. presidents. They know they stand no chance of becoming president in America if they claim to be a non-Christian, ESPECIALLY a black non-Christian.

His parents are atheists, and he only converted to Christianity when he was serious about getting into politics. It's very possible he's agnostic or atheist, but only claims to be Christian because it's political suicide if he doesn't.

discrepancies
Informer
Informer
Been thanked: 0

Post by discrepancies »

1. Were you raised atheist or did you have a religious upbringing of some sort?
I was pretty much raised an atheist. Neither of my parents believe in anything specific, though my mum identifies as agnostic rather than atheist. I'd rather call myself a Defacto Atheist, off Richard Dawkins' spectrum of theistic probability because to me it sounds more reasonable.
Defacto atheist is basically - "I don't know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.", while just atheist is 'I KNOW he's not real'. I think it's far more reasonable, for me at least, to be the former.

• Sub-point 1b: If raised atheist -- Have you ever been drawn to religion at any point in your life? Why or why not?

No, I have never been drawn to it. Because to me (and no offense to anyone else) it has always seemed fairly ridiculous that there was any kind of god out there. I've just never ever felt that it was possible, and I've never questioned that. I'm very set in my beliefs and have been since I was quite young. My parents never pushed that on me either, I somehow became very opinionated and strong willed about it on my own.

2. Overall, would you say that other people's belief in God is a good thing, a bad thing or something you're indifferent about? Why?

I think that all completely depends. Some people use 'god' as a crutch or an excuse, and that's of course unhealthy and not a good thing. But to some people 'god' is what gives their life meaning and makes them a happier person, and that's a great thing for them. I have no problem with people believing in god, I only have a problem with organised religion and people who preach their beliefs. Atheists do that too though and that's just as bad!

3. Have you ever been treated differently by people because you're an atheist? If so, please describe this in detail.

Not really because I come from a very atheist society. Not many people are heavily religious here, so I've never really experienced that.

4. If not a religious person, do you consider yourself to be a spiritual person? Why or why not?

No. Just no. It's hard to explain.

5. For many people, belief in God provides hope or comfort with respect to suffering in the world and to the inevitability of death. As an atheist, how do you come to terms with these things?
See I find this interesting. In regards to the suffering in the world, I find it's better to think there is no god. Who want's to believe in a god that allows that kind of shit to happen? In my mind, that's part of the reason I really hope I'm right, that there is no god. Because the fact that that 'god' would allow some of the suffering that goes on is horrific, and I wouldn't want a god like that. In that respect I'm glad I don't believe in god because I think that would be harder to come to terms with if I did. In terms of death, I tend not to think about it.
Can you photoshop your life with better decisions, Jerry?

featherly
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by featherly »

I was raised atheist. My dad was raised in Russia but was atheist despite going to church. My mom is Chinese but born and raised in Russia but she never associated herself with any religion as far as I know. I was pretty into religion when I was 12 and I googled all the main religions but never found myself committing to any of them. They were just fun to learn about.

2. Overall, would you say that other people's belief in God is a good thing, a bad thing or something you're indifferent about? Why?
I don't particularly like religion. I find it more of a nuisance. How many people have died whilst fighting under the command of their god? AKA the same god their enemy is fighting for too? There's waaaay too many skewed ideas in religious text and beliefs that just don't properly translate themselves in the modern world. Lots of these ideas hold onto the sexist, racist, morally wrong and judgemental values people had way back when.

But then again, people can believe what they want to believe as long as they aren't hurting people and aren't trying to shove it down your throat. I get pretty uncomfortable when someone begins to talk to me about their religion.

3. Have you ever been treated differently by people because you're an atheist? If so, please describe this in detail.
Nope. Pretty much all of my friends/peers are atheist, agnostic or quiet about their religion.

4. If not a religious person, do you consider yourself to be a spiritual person? Why or why not?
No. I can't really explain it but I don't feel any sort of spiritual anything in me (doesn't really make any sense.. oh well)

5. For many people, belief in God provides hope or comfort with respect to suffering in the world and to the inevitability of death. As an atheist, how do you come to terms with these things?
The way I see it, you can pray to a god for as much as you want, but it wouldn't change anything. IF there was a god, why would he (or she/it?) make people suffer from the day they are born? I get the whole person is a sinner and shit like that so that is why they're punished, but what about a young kid who suffers? Seems a bit silly to pray to a supposedly fair god who punishes you for doing nothing inherently wrong.

I don't fear death. IMO it's pretty dumb to be afraid to die someday. After I die, I think everything I am/ever was (physically and mentally) will come to an end and that is that. Some people ask me how I can be fine with that -- the idea that I will just disappear and my soul will never go to the afterlife or be reincarnated. I can't really explain it, but I think the idea of just disappearing once I'm dead is quite peaceful in itself. Your whole life is wrapped up in a neat little bow with a beginning, middle and end. If I'm dying and content with my imminent end, I don't want to die and wake up only to have my soul roam the afterlife for an eternity.

lalal0ve
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lalal0ve »

The way my parents raised me was neutral. They believe in God but never went to church nor did they preach to me. They wanted me to make my own decisions and believe in myself first.

For some it may be good but recently I've been feeling how it's such a bother. When you blame deaths, such as sandy hook, on lack of religious studies, that's absolutely ridiculous. I don't force my beliefs on anyone and neither should they.

Yes, all the time. My auntie and grandmother from my dad's side judge me constantly telling me they're "praying" for me. They are some of the most selfish and greedy people I know but they use Jesus as an excuse for their behaviour. Besides them though the rest of my family is cool with it.

Not really.

I don't fear death, it's the circle of life. I agree with featherly, the idea of my "soul" disappearing in the end is reassuring to me. I don't want to live life more than once.

Return to “Religion”