MakeupGirly
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

All Things Christmas!

Post by MakeupGirly »

Hey all,
Christmas is just around the corner so I thought I'd make a thread for all things that are Christmas. Here's a few questions to get things rolling :)

Do you love or loathe Christmas?
What are your Christmas Eve and Christmas Day traditions?
Who are you spending Christmas with?
When do you decorate your house?
What's your favourite Christmas film?
What are your favourite Christmas foods?

Personally, I love Christmas, I've been excited for Christmas since August!

On Christmas Eve, my whole family are together, all six kids and my parents. Normally my Dad will take the little ones out to visit some relatives and me and my Mam will wrap presents and get started on preparing food for the next day. Two of them are still at the age where they believe in Santa. When they get back, we normally exchange gifts. We always buy new pyjamas to wear. Then we watch a Christmas film together and drink hot chocolate. The last couple of years, the small ones have been using the Santa tracker online to see where Santa is, when he gets close to Ireland they have to get to bed fast ;) Christmas Day we get up at 7am to open our presents from Santa, then we just chill out and play/use our gifts. We then get dressed up and my Mam makes dinner. Then the rest of the day we just chill and eat tons of food.

We decorate our house the first weekend of December every year, so this year we are decorating on the 1st! Just over a week away, can't wait!

My favourite Christmas film is 'Home Alone'.

My favourite Christmas foods are stuffing, roast potatoes and chips and dips, we only get them at Christmas lol! I also enjoy just having lots of cake and sweets in the house. I've lost a few pounds and hoping to lose a little bit more so I can gain some at Christmas.

BornThisWay94

Re: All Things Christmas!

Post by BornThisWay94 »

I love Christmas and I actually get sad when it's over :/
Well on Christmas Eve when I was younger, we'd all pile in the car at night and go all around town looking at Christmas lights and decorations. We'd drive for HOURS until there was nothing we hadn't seen. Then we'd all go home, sit in our huge family room and tell stories and play the piano and laugh with each other. Now we don't do that, unfortunately :boohoo: But on Christmas day we ALWAYS wake up super early, open our presents, then chill all day watching A Christmas Story
My mom and other family
We've actually already started. We get our tree tomorrow.
A Christmas Story, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Home Alone
EVERYTHING

whoa

Post by whoa »

Do you love or loathe Christmas? Growing up I have always loathed Christmas, but starting last year I really got into the Christmas spirit and enjoyed the holiday as a whole.

What are your Christmas Eve and Christmas Day traditions? Since I was probably 10 we have always opened gifts on Christmas Eve with my parents, not really sure why we did it a day early. We also don't do a typical Christmas dinner but instead do a big breakfast and then a smaller dinner. That is something we have done my entire life and we have continued that and probably will continue with it. Now of course we also have my husband's family now so we are still trying to work in all of our old traditions to make our own.

Who are you spending Christmas with? My husband, our siblings, our nieces and nephew, and our parents. Everyone is traveling down to us for Christmas because we have come to them for Thanksgiving.

When do you decorate your house? Growing up we always put our tree up on Thanksgiving and took it down on Christmas Day. Last year we put it up on Thanksgiving but kept it up until New Years. This year we have already put up our little trees in the spare bedrooms, but won't put up the big tree until we get back from our trip back home and will keep it up until New Years again.

What's your favourite Christmas film? A Christmas Story! I am one of the people who sit and watch the 24 hour marathon ha. When it is on TV my channel does not change.

What are your favourite Christmas foods? Since we do breakfast most are breakfast foods: biscuits and gravy, bacon, sausage, grits, sweet potatoe casserole, pecan pie.

paperbackwriter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by paperbackwriter »

Do you love or loathe Christmas? I love it and I always have. This is my first Christmas away from home and I'm pretty sad about that because even though I'm not religious, I was raised Roman Catholic and the traditions mean a lot to me sentimentally.

What are your Christmas Eve and Christmas Day traditions? On Christmas Eve, we usually go to Catholic mass (and we will as long as my grandmother is still in charge) and come back to my house with just my sister, parents, and grandparents, which is really nice and quiet, and we eat the same things every single year: lasagna, some sort of lemon chicken thing (although I make my own with quorn since the past few years), broccoli, sausage and meatballs (again, mine are fake), salad, bread, wine, I think that's all? I am usually not so big on fake meat but the food we have is the same every year so I want to be able to join in I suppose. Then we open a few presents. On Christmas my sister wakes me up at an ungodly hour (she's six years younger so I guess that's still a thing) and then we open presents, have some breakfast, and then later we usually have people over or go to my grandparents' for dinner. Sometimes more of my extended family will be there on that day. My boyfriend usually has dinner with us on one of the days, usually Christmas.

Who are you spending Christmas with? This year I'm very far from home and spending it with some friends in London, and not even terribly close friends. I hope it's not too lonely.

When do you decorate your house? I don't remember because I don't usually do it...but we typically get the outdoor lights and the tree(s) up the weekend after Thanksgiving because that's the only time we can make my dad do anything and we bring up boxes of everything else after that and it just kind of goes up organically.

What's your favourite Christmas film? National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. It isn't even my favorite and I've seen it so many times that I no longer find it funny and I can probably recite the whole thing but we watch it every year for as long as I can remember.

What are your favourite Christmas foods? All the Italian food we have on Christmas Eve, and nutroll. It's something my grandma makes, I don't know how to explain...it's just...it's nutroll.

Pinkiegurf24
Debater
Debater

Post by Pinkiegurf24 »

Do you love or loathe Christmas
- I love christmas, even though it never snows where i live :( It's goign to be hard this year since is the first year we'll be spending it without my grandpa and a few days away fromt he anniversary of his death :'( But we'll try to make it as joyous as possible for my sibilings.
- Well this is kinda my grandpas tradition (since he was a jehovahs witness). He didn't liek to celebrate christmas on the day, so we usually open all of our presents and eat on Christmas eve, and we have the leftovers for christmas day.
- My mom, brother and sister. :)
- Welllweprobably won't be decorating the house whole house this year since last year my mom got a $780 dollar electric bill. But i'll probably sting some lights in my room, and put some christmasy decor around it to keep the holiday spirit (battery operated of course) ^_^b
- All of them XD I can't really choose just one, I literally get hooked on 25 Days of Christmas on ABC Family
- Holiday Ham, my mothers delicious Lemon Blossoms, Pecan Pie, Pumpkin pie, there's really no setthing since each year my mom cooks different stuff.

Kidd4ever81
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Kidd4ever81 »

Am I the only one who loves the grinch who stole Christmas! I'm literally obsessed I buy new grinch pajamas every year

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

I love Christmas. :xmas:

Ever since my parents got divorced, I don't really have any. But when I was young, I would wake up around 5 am and go force everyone else to get up (I was the youngest in the family), and we would always start by opening our stockings. My mom is excellent with stockings, so it was always a lot of fun. The only other thing we'd do is annoying - my dad would make us each open one present at a time, then hold it up so he could take a picture, and then we'd have to set it aside and we couldn't play with it until everything was unwrapped. :x I always hated that, haha. Otherwise, we didn't really have any special foods or Christmas dinner or anything. I'd leave out cookies and milk for Santa and carrots for his reindeer but that's it. Now that I'm married and everything we can start making our own traditions though, and this is the first year we're together for Christmas so it's going to be awesome!

I'm not sure yet. I think I just want to be home with my hubby on Christmas day, but we'll probably have other days for "Christmas" with the different sides of my family.

:shy: I put up a small tree and some other small decorations as soon as Halloween was over. We're going to get our real tree tomorrow and spend the day decorating.

I don't have a particular favorite.. I can say that I don't care for all of the claymation Christmas specials, though. They always creeped me out! I mostly love A Christmas Story, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Home Alone 1 & 2, The Santa Clause, The Nightmare Before Christmas.. then some less traditional ones like The Holiday, The Family Stone, Die Hard, Love Actually, Gremlins, etc.

Christmas cookies! I love exchanging cookies with my friends and family. My favorite ones are candy cane sugar cookies, just because they're so fun to make.

ECH
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by ECH »

I really love Christmas.
Christmas Eve me and my sister always get new pyjamas and then we watch all the Christmas specials with my dad. Christmas day we normally have Christmas dinner at our house then we visit some of my cousins, but this year we're having Christmas dinner at my aunts.
My dad and sister as well as a bunch of extended family.
We used to do it on the 30th November, but since my sister went to uni we just do it whenever she gets back.
Muppet Christmas Carol all the way.
STUFFING. I know it's not technically just a Christmas food, but it's always my favourite part of the meal. That and mashed potato.

worldofchances
Talker
Talker

Post by worldofchances »

I love Christmas. It's definitely my favourite holiday because our whole (little) family is together.

On Christmas Eve, we always eat lots of junk (chips and dip, lollies etc) and then when it gets dark, we drive around town and look at all the lit up houses. On Christmas Day, we get up and open presents and then prepare/have a big lunch. Then for the rest of the day, we just hang out all together. We don't have dinner cos we're all still stuffed, but we bring out the desserts.

My mum, sister and brother. My parter is coming for the second year in a row (yay!) and my brother's partner is coming for the first time this year.

My mum usually puts up her tree around the first week of December. This is my first year of actually having a tree for my own place (didn't have one last year) but I'll probably put it up in the next couple of weeks.

I actually don't have one.. My sister always always always watches The Grinch for weeks before Christmas though and I hate it ha.

Christmas mince tarts and candycanes! I'm way too obsessed with candycanes.

GoGoYuBari
Informer
Informer

Post by GoGoYuBari »

I LOVE the Christmas time! Can't believe some people actually hate it. The only thing I hate about Christmas is when it's all over!

Don't have any

Family as always....Maybe one year I'll have a man to spend it with

I like to started as soon as Thanksgiving is over!

Christmas With The Kranks, The Grinch & This Christmas

Don't really have any...

BrunetteBarbie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by BrunetteBarbie »

I don't LOATHE it as such, I just don't really care for it.

On Christmas Eve we have like party food and stuff with extended family. On Christmas Day we open presents in the morning then have lunch at like 2/3pm.

My family but I'm hoping to find some volunteer work to do this year so idk yet.

Like two weeks before Christmas.

The Grinch and The Polar Express, and the Nightmare before Christmas if that counts haha.

STUFFINGGGGG. That stuff is my life

kittykat

Post by kittykat »

I love it! I get sad on Christmas day though because it's over.

I open one gift on Christmas Eve, and my mom and I have a big meal either before or after mass (we don't go at the same time every year). I wake up sort of early on Christmas morning, and my mom and I open gifts. Then I go to my dads for the afternoon to exchange gifts with him. When I get back my mom will have made sweet and sour kielbasa. I don't know why, but that's what we have every Christmas day haha. It's not even a Christmasy food (to my knowledge).

My parents.

End of November/Beginning of December...we don't have a specific day we do it every year.

A Charlie Brown Christmas. Less traditional, but Four Christmases is something we've watched every year since it came out. We love the part when they're caught by the news interviewer at the airport haha!

Kielbasa, buckeyes, press cookies, ham, green bean casserole.

fukou
Debater
Debater

Post by fukou »

lovvve it, but my dad makes me get anxiety right around this time because he's the hardest person to shop for. he refuses to make a list of anything he wants, and says he doesn't want anything but we WANT to give him things and for him to have stuff to open. he's just really stubborn. haha

on eve we just make cookies/goodies and stuff and our parents let us open 1 present, that's about it.
idk if it's really a tradition thing but on christmas we usually have something simple for dinner, like a big assorted sandwich platter and chips and soda and stuff so everyone can just eat whenever they want. everyone's usually so excited and busy with their gifts, it just makes it easier. plus i do the christmas stockings and i stuff them mostly with snacks and candy, so my parents know nobody would be hungry to eat a big turkey or roast or something. lol

the familyyy

we don't decorate outside really, but we put up our little plastic tree a week or two into december.

a christmas story! i usually watch it once or twice on christmas eve, then just watch that tbs marathon bit by bit throughout the night/day when nothing else is on.

sugar cookies and white chocolate reeses christmas trees.

chococaty
Talker
Talker

Post by chococaty »

Love it! Almost finished shopping already :)

Nothing particularly different to anyone else, spend the eve cooking and the day eating!
Ohh and we will most likely go to the beach this year after we have gotten over the food coma, last year was awesome eating around my sister's pool.

This year Christmas will be at my brother's house, which I am super pumped about as his wife is Filipino so that means AWESOME food!

Wait til December.

Either the Grinch, the first Santa Claus or Miracle on 34th Street :)

PAVLOVA. OMG. Last year we didn't realise that we didn't have enough caster sugar to make it so because the shops were shut I was running around my street knocking on neighbour's doors saying "Merry Christmas! Do you have any caster sugar?" and we got some! :)

nothinggold
Informer
Informer

Post by nothinggold »

Do you love or loathe Christmas? As I get older and continue a career in retail, Christmas isn't my favorite. When your family sucks and you realize the world is full of hateful people, you stop giving a shit about holidays.
What are your Christmas Eve and Christmas Day traditions? We go to my aunt's on Christmas day. My tradition for the past two years has been working Christmas day overnight but I have a new job and that won't happen this year.
Who are you spending Christmas with? I'll spend the week leading up to Christmas in Hawaii with my boyfriend and then we'll hopefully spend time with friends, my parents, and my aunt.
When do you decorate your house? Whenever somebody feels like it.
What's your favourite Christmas film? A Christmas Story
What are your favourite Christmas foods? My aunt's peanut butter cookies and ham

fukou
Debater
Debater

Post by fukou »

What do you all like to get in your stockings? or what type things do you get in them regardless? OR if you're the one doing the stocking stuffing, what do you put in them?

i've been in charge of that for the last 2 years or so and every time december rolls around i get really anxious about what to get and the costs (there's 6 stockings to be done, ugh) and little treats i'm usually good at lol but for gadgets and little gifts for them i usually get frazzled over.

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

fukou wrote:What do you all like to get in your stockings? or what type things do you get in them regardless? OR if you're the one doing the stocking stuffing, what do you put in them?

i've been in charge of that for the last 2 years or so and every time december rolls around i get really anxious about what to get and the costs (there's 6 stockings to be done, ugh) and little treats i'm usually good at lol but for gadgets and little gifts for them i usually get frazzled over.
I do my mom's stocking and I usually fill the toe with assorted candy, and then the rest with little gifts or small things. Toothbrush, fuzzy socks, lotion, perfume, makeup, nail polish, a gift card, an ornament, mini bottle of wine, etc., usually one bigger candy/chocolate item, and I often put a small stuffed animal at the very top. I have no idea what to do with my hubby, though.. I'll probably fill it with computer parts, lol.

Post by Guest »

Do you love or loathe Christmas? Love it! I've been lucky enough not to have to work a single year so far.
What are your Christmas Eve and Christmas Day traditions? Meh, nothing too out of the ordinary. We eat a family dinner, and open presents from my parents on Christmas Eve. Then on Christmas Day we open "Santa"'s presents and stockings.
Who are you spending Christmas with? Still not sure if my boyfriend's family is coming over to my parent's house (a bunch of other relatives/close family friends will be there as well), or if we'll be spending it with our own families individually. Either way we will probably still see each other Christmas morning since our parents still live in the same town, and he's practically family.
When do you decorate your house? My boyfriend and I decorated our apartment today but haven't put the tree up yet. I don't know if my parents have decorated it yet. Growing up, we usually decorated the house the first weekend of December, and put the tree up the second weekend.
What's your favourite Christmas film? National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Home Alone 3, Christmas With the Kranks
I don't really have one, haha.

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

fukou wrote:What do you all like to get in your stockings? or what type things do you get in them regardless? OR if you're the one doing the stocking stuffing, what do you put in them?

Usually I get:

-Lots of candy
-Perhaps a CD, Book, or DVD I've been wanting
-Makeup (Drugstore brands)
-Tooth brush, tooth paste
-Bath loofah (These)
-Gum

Return to “Christmas”