DoddleOddle / Dodie Clark

paintmedance
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DoddleOddle / Dodie Clark

Post by paintmedance »

What happened to her voice? She sounds almost like a toddler now with this soft babyish thing she's got going on, it's not just a lisp but the inflections and everything, like it's being manufactured to be dainty and soft. She's always been soft spoken but never this bad. Really noticed it in the bullying video.

I really liked the drawings, they were cute.

iregretthis
Learner
Learner

Post by iregretthis »

someone underneath her bullying video said she should voice an audiobook wowie. loved heddy's art though! i haven't watched her apology video as of yet but like one of you guys said actions speak louder than words so i'm hoping she'll have a nice little turn around soon!

ColourlessGreenIdeas
Informer
Informer

Post by ColourlessGreenIdeas »

I definitely prefer the book cover she revealed in the video as well. The working cover just looked really strange to me; the colours clashed way too much and it actually kind of hurt my eyes when I was looking at it.

I think the bullying video was done well - it's really nice how she used Hedy's drawings to illustrate it as well. I hope the rest of her book is just stories like that, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet (hopefully the editor will have taken out some of the mental health stuff she probably tried to include).

Although the subheading on the new book cover is "obsessions, confessions, and life lessons", which could go either way, I think. We'll just have to wait and see when it's published, I guess.

LaFleche
Informer
Informer

Post by LaFleche »

I honestly need to add that I'm feeling immensely proud of her too. She seemed genuine to me in her apology video and reminded me of the Dodie I always loved so much. It's okay to have problems and to be sad and confused, it's just the way she's been treating those problems. Now she seemed so clear (at least in that very moment) and I think it could be a big step in the right direction. I hope she will work it all out.

I also absolutely loved the bullying video. I love how unagitated it was and how she subtly included her sister's art. Perfect.
Not a native English speaker, thank you.

wolfgutscharlie

Post by wolfgutscharlie »

I like her a lot more than I did a few months ago but what really annoys me is that she just- made a book like THAT.

All of her attempts to gain her friends' attention and show she's not okay have been ignored, all the times she went on snapchat, her friends have admitted to ignoring her. So for her to write a book.. it seems like it's just another massive cry for help. That her friends may read, or skim over the pages.

I said myself, months before, that it was going to be a 'mental health book'. Of course, it is a mental health book. :roll:

Wouldn't her book be so much more on brand and better if it was.. like.. about her music? She says that she doesn't want mental health to become her brand, but then releases a book like this? I don't *care* if she was a bully, because most of us have all laughed at someone in class, or being picked on.

I had the idea of her book including a cd of her favourite songs she's made, how to play them, stories behind the songs. It could include why she became a musician, tips, etc. It could be an actual good book, that wouldn't become best selling *just because of her fanbase*.

I KNOW she's constantly said 'doddleoddle isn't me! i'm not always happy' and that's okay, she could have included in her book about her downs (like the song Pas De Deux) as well as her ups. She doesn't have to become this ball of negative energy and then focus that energy on every thing she does and makes.
Like, I've got really bad depression but I don't make art (I make art, btw, this is just an example) that is depressing. I don't post on social media all the time 'I'VE GOT DEPRESSION I HATE EVERYTHINGGGGG'.

This is Dodie's problem, she says she doesn't want mental health to become her brand (which I think is just her trying to make us happy) but is still releasing this book, which is most likely going to be awful. I don't usually judge things before I've experienced them, but it's obvious this is going to be her labelling herself as a bully, a bad person, blah blah blah.

I do like Hedy's art though, and I'm happy Dodie uses her platform to showcase her sister's talent.

I just feel like this is a wasted opportunity to have an actual, good, youtuber book. Not another biography, or another depressing book. A book that stands out. And she's just wasted it. I know for a fact she wouldn't have made a book like this a year or so ago.

EDIT: And in response to her apology video. It seems genuine, but the fact she is now going to treat her audience like her sister shows she has really no control over what's going on/how to treat her fans and it shows weakness. I don't want to be treated like a child, I think she needs to work on oversharing rather than how to treat her audience. Just don't post things you'd put in your diary.

ello101
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ello101 »

Maybe she rolled out the book so quickly because she got an offer to write an advice book (like Carrie Fletcher's first book), as in the publishers knew she had a young audience and wanted to capitalise on that - and she took the offer because she needed money? She's said before she's barely broke even on her tours, and relies on sponsors. I'd probably take it if it was a good deal.

wolfgutscharlie

ello101 wrote:Maybe she rolled out the book so quickly because she got an offer to write an advice book (like Carrie Fletcher's first book), as in the publishers knew she had a young audience and wanted to capitalise on that - and she took the offer because she needed money? She's said before she's barely broke even on her tours, and relies on sponsors. I'd probably take it if it was a good deal.
Perhaps, but when I hear 'book deal' it seems it's usually just- a book. That you know your audience will like. I don't think a bunch of 11 year olds can relate to 'severe depression' and depersonalisation. All that's going to do is make them think they have mental health issues when they read the book and think, 'wow, I have bad days. guess i'm depressed!' which could result in backlash from parents. It depends how PG she's going to be writing it.
I'll buy the book just so I can see what's going on there.

I'd take the book deal but not if it's going to be blurred out and look like the rest of the youtuber books. Boring and all the same. The cover is nice though.

ello101
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ello101 »

wolfgutscharlie wrote:
ello101 wrote:Maybe she rolled out the book so quickly because she got an offer to write an advice book (like Carrie Fletcher's first book), as in the publishers knew she had a young audience and wanted to capitalise on that - and she took the offer because she needed money? She's said before she's barely broke even on her tours, and relies on sponsors. I'd probably take it if it was a good deal.
Perhaps, but when I hear 'book deal' it seems it's usually just- a book. That you know your audience will like. I don't think a bunch of 11 year olds can relate to 'severe depression' and depersonalisation. All that's going to do is make them think they have mental health issues when they read the book and think, 'wow, I have bad days. guess i'm depressed!' which could result in backlash from parents. It depends how PG she's going to be writing it.
I'll buy the book just so I can see what's going on there.

I'd take the book deal but not if it's going to be blurred out and look like the rest of the youtuber books. Boring and all the same. The cover is nice though.
True! Hope her editors have done a good job at, not censoring her, but at least making it target audience appropriate. (I worry about all the teens thinking they're mentally ill through her too. Theres a crazy amount of influence there)

kofi
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by kofi »

Really liked her apology. I wish more youtubers had that kind of attitude. Then again I might be the only one that didn't really like her bullying video?? If her book is like that I'm not really interested

wolfgutscharlie

kofi wrote:Really liked her apology. I wish more youtubers had that kind of attitude. Then again I might be the only one that didn't really like her bullying video?? If her book is like that I'm not really interested
I didn't like the bullying video either. It's just- no. I don't see why you'd write about ONE INCIDENT and claim yourself to be a bully. Makes no sense to me imo.

menswear
Learner
Learner

Post by menswear »

The first time I watched the apology video this morning I actually liked it, I thought it seemed pretty genuine and it was what I had pretty much been asking for (I even said in my last post I said her behaviour warranted an apology) but side by side with her first video regarding oversharing I just find it hard to believe. Accompanied by all the un-edited parts of her trying not to cry, or the part where she was seemingly going to stop recording entirely, it was just a lacklustre apology to me. When I first watched the video, I was really happy with the apology, but after watching it again all I can hear is her justifying it all like she did in the video with Hazel and then throwing in a few apologies here and there. Maybe that's just me. My opinion could still change based on her actions in the future, though.

I actually struggled to think of something to even say about the video, it just didn't strike me as being genuine or meaningful. It's like she just apologised and that's it and now suddenly it's not embedded into her brand... I don't think so.

The video about bullying was terrible to me. I was actually quite interested in buying her book, but after watching that I have pretty low expectations of it, not that they were incredibly high in the first place. She doesn't have any original flare in her writing, and a lot of it sounds colloquially written which would work if she had a bit more personality or unique speaking and writing style, but she doesn't. The book cover is not to my personal taste either. The illustration looks more like Hedy than it does Dodie. I'd probably really like it if the drawing of her wasn't on there.

thejoker999
Debater
Debater

Post by thejoker999 »

menswear wrote:The first time I watched the apology video this morning I actually liked it, I thought it seemed pretty genuine and it was what I had pretty much been asking for (I even said in my last post I said her behaviour warranted an apology) but side by side with her first video regarding oversharing I just find it hard to believe. Accompanied by all the un-edited parts of her trying not to cry, or the part where she was seemingly going to stop recording entirely, it was just a lacklustre apology to me. When I first watched the video, I was really happy with the apology, but after watching it again all I can hear is her justifying it all like she did in the video with Hazel and then throwing in a few apologies here and there. Maybe that's just me. My opinion could still change based on her actions in the future, though.

I actually struggled to think of something to even say about the video, it just didn't strike me as being genuine or meaningful. It's like she just apologised and that's it and now suddenly it's not embedded into her brand... I don't think so.

The video about bullying was terrible to me. I was actually quite interested in buying her book, but after watching that I have pretty low expectations of it, not that they were incredibly high in the first place. She doesn't have any original flare in her writing, and a lot of it sounds colloquially written which would work if she had a bit more personality or unique speaking and writing style, but she doesn't. The book cover is not to my personal taste either. The illustration looks more like Hedy than it does Dodie. I'd probably really like it if the drawing of her wasn't on there.
just by the way Dodie talks, there's no way she would have written that paragraph so coherently by herself. if she's had help, fair enough but i won't be purchasing it because i worry I'll just roll my eyes at her take on depression and anxiety.

menswear
Learner
Learner

Post by menswear »

thejoker999 wrote:just by the way Dodie talks, there's no way she would have written that paragraph so coherently by herself. if she's had help, fair enough but i won't be purchasing it because i worry I'll just roll my eyes at her take on depression and anxiety.
There can be quite a striking difference in the way people write and speak, especially growing up academically 'strong' and socially awkward as she said in her video she did. I do actually think she wrote it herself, she's just not that good of a writer.

kotori
Talker
Talker

Post by kotori »

Does it bug anyone else when dodie uses the words "mental" and "mad"?? i know they're "British slang" but the way they sound in her phrasing makes them sound like straight up slurs against the mentally ill. the haughty ass british accent doesn't help either (has anyone noticed her accent has gotten way thicker in recent months?? i think its intentional)

stan loona

niamhburns94
Lurker
Lurker

Post by niamhburns94 »

This is off topic slightly, but I've started watching the likes of Hannah Witton, Lucy Moon and more recently Dodie Clark and I always have the same thought watching them. They're all so over privileged. I'd love it if they got pushed off their pedastals and actually experience the real world for once. It annoys me how they act as if they're living the most amazing life in London, pontificating about how bad their life is when in actual fact, they're writing books, releasing music, going to events, meeting loads of new people, etc. They're experiencing life in such a privileged way. I understand we all suffer from mental health but I can't justify some of their reasons. Idk I guess I wanted to complain about them. Anyone agree?

niamhburns94
Lurker
Lurker

Post by niamhburns94 »

This is off topic slightly, but I've started watching the likes of Hannah Witton, Lucy Moon and more recently Dodie Clark and I always have the same thought watching them. They're all so over privileged. I'd love it if they got pushed off their pedastals and actually experience the real world for once. It annoys me how they act as if they're living the most amazing life in London, pontificating about how bad their life is when in actual fact, they're writing books, releasing music, going to events, meeting loads of new people, etc. They're experiencing life in such a privileged way. I understand we all suffer from mental health but I can't justify some of their reasons. Idk I guess I wanted to complain about them. Anyone agree?

kofi
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by kofi »

niamhburns94 wrote:This is off topic slightly, but I've started watching the likes of Hannah Witton, Lucy Moon and more recently Dodie Clark and I always have the same thought watching them. They're all so over privileged. I'd love it if they got pushed off their pedastals and actually experience the real world for once. It annoys me how they act as if they're living the most amazing life in London, pontificating about how bad their life is when in actual fact, they're writing books, releasing music, going to events, meeting loads of new people, etc. They're experiencing life in such a privileged way. I understand we all suffer from mental health but I can't justify some of their reasons. Idk I guess I wanted to complain about them. Anyone agree?
True! Being working class and having to work very hard to get opportunities I then have to turn down because I don't have enough money, I won't deny they make me feel bad everytime they whine. I know we all are entitled to our own feelings and that I probably whine too about things other people worse than I am would dream of, but still it's frustrating when they (especially Lucy and Dodie) complain that they don't feel 100% fulfilled yet they're living in London, they have their dream jobs, they're given opportunities they are underqualified for (Dodie her book deal, for exsmple).

clarbrook
Learner
Learner

Post by clarbrook »

her apology was more of a cry for sympathy. An ideal apology video is one that gets to the point in a clean and cut manner. (Check out DirtyDoms apology video for an example). They way she left in all the bits where she started to cry or couldn't get the words out properly just seemed like a way to get people to forgive her easily. It felt half assed and like she had barely thought about what she had did and how it effected other people.

Also the bullying video seemed a bit meh. I loved Hedys art work and I like that she Dodie allowed the art work to be shown on the platform. The story however seemed like another way to say "oh look I'm a shitty human too just like everyone else". She goes from squealing with excitement on her snapchat and showcasing her amazing life in London to complaining about everything and making it out as if she's the worst person in the world. She just seems very ignorant in my opinion.

maccalacca
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by maccalacca »

wolfgutscharlie wrote:
kofi wrote:Really liked her apology. I wish more youtubers had that kind of attitude. Then again I might be the only one that didn't really like her bullying video?? If her book is like that I'm not really interested
I didn't like the bullying video either. It's just- no. I don't see why you'd write about ONE INCIDENT and claim yourself to be a bully. Makes no sense to me imo.
This may sound off, but I don't think it was one incident. I think she was trying to pass it off as one incident because she knows that her child viewers will think "oh we've all done one thing bad, that's no big deal" but I think she was using that one incident as an example of many other similar things. Justmy two cents though.

niamhburns94
Lurker
Lurker

Post by niamhburns94 »

kofi wrote:
niamhburns94 wrote:This is off topic slightly, but I've started watching the likes of Hannah Witton, Lucy Moon and more recently Dodie Clark and I always have the same thought watching them. They're all so over privileged. I'd love it if they got pushed off their pedastals and actually experience the real world for once. It annoys me how they act as if they're living the most amazing life in London, pontificating about how bad their life is when in actual fact, they're writing books, releasing music, going to events, meeting loads of new people, etc. They're experiencing life in such a privileged way. I understand we all suffer from mental health but I can't justify some of their reasons. Idk I guess I wanted to complain about them. Anyone agree?
True! Being working class and having to work very hard to get opportunities I then have to turn down because I don't have enough money, I won't deny they make me feel bad everytime they whine. I know we all are entitled to our own feelings and that I probably whine too about things other people worse than I am would dream of, but still it's frustrating when they (especially Lucy and Dodie) complain that they don't feel 100% fulfilled yet they're living in London, they have their dream jobs, they're given opportunities they are underqualified for (Dodie her book deal, for exsmple).
Yeah exactly! I don't know, I just think they need reality check at times.

Return to “DoddleOddle/ Dodie Clark”