Booktubers - Part 8

bitchesbelike
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Re: Booktubers - Part 8

Post by bitchesbelike »

Honestly cannot understand why you would moan about guru gossip on twitter, if you wanna address us then just come here??? No need to be all in your feelings about something people discuss on a forum because you don't agree with it. Like why go searching for it?

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Being autistic doesn't give a free pass to be ignorant.

jojo86
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by jojo86 »

I have bought books 5 years ago that i havent read lol i have 300 books waiting for me to read them, and i am not autistic.

vortensity
Talker
Talker

Post by vortensity »

I don't see how discussions about consumerism are ableist in and of themselves. And I'd bet most of us have unread books from a year or longer ago. I don't see how being neurodiverse or mentally ill should exclude someone from having to think about their own consumerism?

For example I have ADD and a common behavior is impulsive spending, but instead of telling people that they shouldn't criticize impulsive spending in general because of my disorder, I have put in (and have to constantly put in) effort to minimize this because while my ADD may explain why I've been prone to do so in the past, it doesn't excuse the behavior. And tbh giving in feels good in the moment but I often regret it later.

Obviously ASD is a different branch of neurodiversity, but I'm struggling to see what special logic makes them think that being autistic means they're exempt from culpability in consumerist culture?

I think we can acknowledge that it's harder for certain people to combat consumerist behaviors because they exist in this excessively consumerist society as someone who is neurodiverse and/or mentally ill, while also making the argument that the extra effort is worth it in the long run.

Frankly, I think this person tweeting that probably knows this already, but is just trying to assuage their own guilt.

TinyBaby
Learner
Learner

Post by TinyBaby »

Heather from Bookables' lighting in her last couple vidoes has been so erratic. It's way too dark, then way too sharp, changing all the time. It's putting me off so much

oh_do_tell
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oh_do_tell »

I'm nostalgic for older booktube when there were real TEA topics to spill, nowdays booktubers are so boring xD

booksnstuff
Learner
Learner

Post by booksnstuff »

oh_do_tell wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:57 am
I'm nostalgic for older booktube when there were real TEA topics to spill, nowdays booktubers are so boring xD
do you have any examples?

NicoleThePickle
Debater
Debater

Post by NicoleThePickle »

oh_do_tell wrote:
I feel this, mostly because I rarely know the booktubers that people are chatting about now.

fakedroid
Learner
Learner

Post by fakedroid »

Eyechikn08 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:21 am

This video perfectly illustrates the sheer ridiculousness of some booktuber's book buying habits. She has book from 2017 that she bought, in just one month, that she still hasn't read and the thing is.... She has continued to buy books monthly in staggering amounts since 2017. It's just... Wow, wish I had that kind of money
oml this video is crazy out of the 16 books she hauled in 2017 she has only read three of them at this point... and people wanna act like there haven't been consumerism issues on booktube for ages now :? I feel like it's only getting worse though with the number of videos/thumbnails I've seen where people are hauling like 50-90+ books in one go.... like people can do what they want I guess but it seems like they never stop and think about what kind of behaviour they're promoting and encouraging by doing these massive hauls then pretending there's nothing wrong with it

fakedroid
Learner
Learner

Post by fakedroid »

Eyechikn08 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:32 am

Every time someone's actions get criticized, someone pulls out the mental health card, like... Not everyone has a mental health problem some people just need to think about their consumerism.

Also, yknow, only murderers are in prison
In what way, shape, or form is critiquing booktube's consumerism problem ableist?? Especially when the majority of people who are a part of the problem aren't neurodiverse or at least haven't publicly spoken out about it....

I get that it can be more difficult for people with impulsivity issues linked to their mental health to avoid having consumerist tendencies but there's no discrimination or oppression involved in these conversations that could be legitimately considered ableist. If anything you'd think they'd be all for these discussions since it would potentially help them slow down on their book buying.

IMO this just reads to me like a typical booktwit user getting defensive then weaponizing their mental health/neurodiversity to make their point seem more valid than others :roll:

harsley
Lurker
Lurker

Post by harsley »

booksnstuff wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:12 am
oh_do_tell wrote:
do you have any examples?
the great dick soap scandal of 2018

mollyec
Learner
Learner

Post by mollyec »

Critics: Book hauls on YouTube where creators haul hundreds of books every year—sometimes over a hundred in a single month—is indicative of widespread hyper-consumerism in the book community

Rando Calrissian on Twitter: Actually my impulsive buying habit is an unhealthy coping mechanism for my poor mental health and it's ableist of you to point that out

likeaphrodite
Learner
Learner

Post by likeaphrodite »

^agreed. i want to add that the consumerism stem from society at large not just the book community. we give compulsive buyers a pass when they buy books because it's better than fast fashion and whatnot but the thought process is usually the same. it's a coping mechanism that you probably should deal with in therapy not twitter. the first step is recognising that you have a problem. we need to stop glamorizing books in general. when someone buys a ton of clothes there's usually a little bit of backlash. but the book community loves seeing these huge bookshelves full of hardcovers and they do not care at all whether they've been read or not

Leonhardts
Learner
Learner

Post by Leonhardts »

That’s such BS argument. I have borderline personality disorder and I have low impulse control and a shifting self image (among other things). From that I know I have a shopping addiction that manifests in different, but that doesn’t mean I am not responsible for my own actions and the consequences of those actions.

momentarybliss
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by momentarybliss »

just saw megwithbooks' new video where she has individually wrapped all like 50 of the books in wrapping paper and ?????? what was the reason lmao that's so much paper.... it's just wasteful especially bc she's gonna have to unwrap them again anyway when december is over

it also taps into one of the problems i have with booktube in general where it feels like many of them need to gamify their reading in order to stay interested in it, like with the convoluted tbr games for example. i get that it's partly for content and to make tbrs that stand out from everyone else's but still.... i just think that's such a weird way to approach reading

OneMoreMessyReader
Talker
Talker

Post by OneMoreMessyReader »

momentarybliss wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:04 am
just saw megwithbooks' new video where she has individually wrapped all like 50 of the books in wrapping paper and ?????? what was the reason lmao that's so much paper.... it's just wasteful especially bc she's gonna have to unwrap them again anyway when december is over

it also taps into one of the problems i have with booktube in general where it feels like many of them need to gamify their reading in order to stay interested in it, like with the convoluted tbr games for example. i get that it's partly for content and to make tbrs that stand out from everyone else's but still.... i just think that's such a weird way to approach reading
I always thought the gamifying was for us the consumers to stay interested, not really for themselves at all. I would guess that if most of them didn't have a booktube, they would just mood read as normal and do a fun reading event once or twice a year. If for some, it's a secondary source of income so the TBR games are more like a job.

fennecreads
Talker
Talker

Post by fennecreads »

momentarybliss wrote:

The tbr unwrapping was initially created by a therapist booktuber who was using it to get through their tbr that was mostly freebies. They used types of paper to signifying genre and would give in depth reviews on what they thought of the books. They'd been a busy mood reader and it helped. I know meg is trying to get her owned tbr down so maybe this is a way to try and do it. Besides, some people do "gamify" their own reading to get their tbrs down outside of booktube

booksandplants
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by booksandplants »

momentarybliss wrote:

So I thought you meant the one from a couple of months ago but then I was scrolling my subscriptions and saw she wrapped a bunch in her newest video. So, yeah, she's actually done this before, she wrapped all of her tbr and picked a couple to read for a video, then unwrapped them all. Now she's wrapped them all again. I really like Meg's content but the waste of paper is making me cringe a bit.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

momentarybliss
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by momentarybliss »

OneMoreMessyReader wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:35 am

I always thought the gamifying was for us the consumers to stay interested, not really for themselves at all. I would guess that if most of them didn't have a booktube, they would just mood read as normal and do a fun reading event once or twice a year. If for some, it's a secondary source of income so the TBR games are more like a job.
yeah for sure, i guess i just don't really see their appeal
fennecreads wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:39 am

The tbr unwrapping was initially created by a therapist booktuber who was using it to get through their tbr that was mostly freebies. They used types of paper to signifying genre and would give in depth reviews on what they thought of the books. They'd been a busy mood reader and it helped. I know meg is trying to get her owned tbr down so maybe this is a way to try and do it. Besides, some people do "gamify" their own reading to get their tbrs down outside of booktube
oh i didn't know that ! not sure if that's what meg was going for with this though because from what i gathered she's going to read 4 of them during december and then unwrap the rest (and i think she said it's like 50 books or so :? )

i do agree that gamifying reading isn't bad, and i enjoy themed videos and stuff like that - what kinda weirds me out is the really convoluted games like the roulettes or the monopoly boards, or what meg did which must have taken so long to do just to end up reading 4 of them (especially the people who do it every month because, at least to me, it just ends up looking like they're making reading a chore). i guess i'd rather they used in-depth reviews or more interesting book picks as a draw for their channels instead of the games
booksandplants wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:50 am

So I thought you meant the one from a couple of months ago but then I was scrolling my subscriptions and saw she wrapped a bunch in her newest video. So, yeah, she's actually done this before, she wrapped all of her tbr and picked a couple to read for a video, then unwrapped them all. Now she's wrapped them all again. I really like Meg's content but the waste of paper is making me cringe a bit.
i know !! like at least reuse the paper or something lmao

Return to “BookTube”