soup---eater wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:41 pm
TheBookishBabe wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:23 pm
soup---eater wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:58 pm
TheBookishBabe wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:10 pm

Exactly it reads like I didn't really like this book but it's by a Black author so I'll end up giving it 4 stars. Put your thoughts together before posting about it. Especially since she's doing a liveshow about this book.
I really think so many booktubers, not just her, struggle with the idea that they can rate something lower and still really like the rep and recommend it to others. Maybe this is where a lot of the defensiveness about how they rate books comes from?
They're doing the live show now. I checked since I did read this book so I was curious to see who would be talking about it. She admitted she forced herself through this book she wasn't really enjoying because she wanted to be on the live show. If she didn't like the book and didn't want to be on the live show without finishing it then she should've DNFd and sat out. She doesn't want to speak anything critical about the book. And I liked the book a lot and gave it 4 stars. But I can see how it would be too trope filled for some people. I'm turning off the live show though because outside of Jesse they're saying a lot of nothing for me since they're trying to go in depth talking about characters and describing scenes without using names because they don't want to give spoilers.
Wait...what? You're saying that they're doing a bookclub liveshow WITHOUT spoilers, at all? I understand doing the first part with no spoilers so ppl can see what each person thought and their ratings but usually after a certain point ppl usually go "okay NOW we're talking about spoilers" and then go more in-depth. Wtf..
they did end up switching to talking about spoilers about half an hour in, so half of it was non spoiler and half of it was spoiler. but I agree that it was a bit weird to watch in the beginning when they kept trying to talk about things without spoiling them.
See this is why Booktubers need to structure their content more. They could've prepped questions for the first half so they were awkwardly trying to talk about specific events without using names or fully nentioning what was going on in the scene.

foolishheartsx
Learner
Learner

Re: Myonna Reads

Post by foolishheartsx »

I can actually understand why Myonna pushed through this book, it is a debut book by a Black author and was a book club pick, and seeing how the reading rush hosts were (rightfully) dragged for not finishing the buddy read pick I can see Myonna wanting to prevent that for herself, I think the situations are different in that the hosts of the reading rush are white/white passing and laughing about not reading a book about performative allyship but I can see Myonna not seeing it that way. Also she may have pushed through it because she didn't hate it, there are times where I'm reading a book and I'm not loving it but I'm not hating it either so I push through it and end up writing a review similar to Myonna's lol.

lesbiantea
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Post by lesbiantea »

found this a bit funny based on the discussion on here about myonna potentially skimming or only reading dialogue in the books she reads.

it was a perfectly funny tweet by myonna, so no hate, but I just found it amusing in light of the discussion around her reading habits.

edit: and I also agree that I understand why she pushed through the book and wrote the review she did.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

foolishheartsx wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:28 am
I can actually understand why Myonna pushed through this book, it is a debut book by a Black author and was a book club pick, and seeing how the reading rush hosts were (rightfully) dragged for not finishing the buddy read pick I can see Myonna wanting to prevent that for herself, I think the situations are different in that the hosts of the reading rush are white/white passing and laughing about not reading a book about performative allyship but I can see Myonna not seeing it that way. Also she may have pushed through it because she didn't hate it, there are times where I'm reading a book and I'm not loving it but I'm not hating it either so I push through it and end up writing a review similar to Myonna's lol.
Her review really wasn't helpful though bad grammar aside and lack of capital letters aside.

booksnstuff
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by booksnstuff »

Myonna is once again trying to speak over all POC because she loves A Deadly Education and others are pointing out how it's problematic.

booksnstuff
Learner
Learner

Post by booksnstuff »

booksnstuff wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:34 pm
Myonna is once again trying to speak over all POC because she loves A Deadly Education and others are pointing out how it's problematic.

I find it ironic how Myo will be so adament about how "not all books are perfect" but still refuse to read nonfiction books like White Fragility.

soup---eater
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by soup---eater »

Right, I was like why is she discrediting other people's issues with a book when wasn't she making a huge deal out of a nonfiction book using the n word in an academic context a few months ago? People having issues with A Deadly Education doesn't affect her negatively in any way, just like how she can have her opinion about it, others can as well. Also correct me if I'm wrong but didnt the person calling out the book say that they got the microaggression complaints from POC and they were just using their platform to voice it? So I get what Myonna is saying, a lot of white people will talk over others about issues, but in this case I don't think this counts as a non-poc speaking over poc. The OP even linked (or screenshotted?) a GR review from a poc who pointed out the issues.

Also I'm kinda laughing at Mika commenting about how "the world is problematic" as queen SJM stan :rofl:. They're not wrong, nothing is perfect so in turn everything is problematic, but that doesn't mean people can't call things out they have a problem with. People have different levels to what they take offense to and from where.

soup---eater
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by soup---eater »

Sorry to double post, but at this point I'm convinced Marines and I have the same brain LMAO

booksnstuff
Learner
Learner

Post by booksnstuff »

does myo realize that SHE'S one of the major reasons book twitter has become more toxic? she is always the first to try to cancel someone but when it's her fave, she preaches about being nice

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

soup---eater wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:45 pm
Right, I was like why is she discrediting other people's issues with a book when wasn't she making a huge deal out of a nonfiction book using the n word in an academic context a few months ago? People having issues with A Deadly Education doesn't affect her negatively in any way, just like how she can have her opinion about it, others can as well. Also correct me if I'm wrong but didnt the person calling out the book say that they got the microaggression complaints from POC and they were just using their platform to voice it? So I get what Myonna is saying, a lot of white people will talk over others about issues, but in this case I don't think this counts as a non-poc speaking over poc. The OP even linked (or screenshotted?) a GR review from a poc who pointed out the issues.

Also I'm kinda laughing at Mika commenting about how "the world is problematic" as queen SJM stan :rofl:. They're not wrong, nothing is perfect so in turn everything is problematic, but that doesn't mean people can't call things out they have a problem with. People have different levels to what they take offense to and from where.
Myo and Mika are both annoying as hell and just post things for likes and recognition on Twitter. I'm tired of them always trying to discredit people who have different opinions than they do about books they love.

jabba13
Learner
Learner

Post by jabba13 »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:36 pm
soup---eater wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:45 pm

Myo and Mika are both annoying as hell and just post things for likes and recognition on Twitter. I'm tired of them always trying to discredit people who have different opinions than they do about books they love.
They truly are BIRDS of a feather. I never even got a chance to really check Mika out because I was so annoyed at her always running behind Myo and parroting whatever she said. Both of them will be back soon enough getting butthurt and making long threads when someone disagrees with them.

blikeboy
Talker
Talker

Post by blikeboy »

soup---eater wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:19 pm
Sorry to double post, but at this point I'm convinced Marines and I have the same brain LMAO
I've been committed to staying out of Myonna's thread just because the girl does not need the attention but here I am lmao

Marines is so underrated and not valued enough in my opinion. She has such articulate and intellectual opinions. I just appreciate her so much, especially in this community. But it sucks not to see her get the recognition she deserves. People will fall all over themselves to get on Myonna's good side and agree to all her tweets.

Anyway, Myonna should just quit twitter. It seems like it just makes her miserable to begin with, but she's just perpetuating more drama on everyones TL.

booksnstuff
Learner
Learner

Post by booksnstuff »

blikeboy
Talker
Talker

Post by blikeboy »

I'm not gonna link all her (multiple) tweets but if you look at her twitter, she's completely spiraling because she can't hold onto her point to save her life. I'm not Black, so I can't have a heavy say in the conversation. But it seems like Myonna simply can't handle people coming for the books she enjoys. Like she has this vicious need to defend herself/the books when she could just...not.

smolante12
Learner
Learner

Post by smolante12 »

Hi, first time posting here, but I don't see why Myonna's acting like this. If people think a book has harmful content, that's valid, but just because something is "problematic" doesn't mean you can't like it. You can be critical of things you like. But I think the people on the other side are doing a little too much too. Myonna's not gaslighting anyone; that's really dramatic. She's just disagreeing in a really direct/confrontational way that people on twitter don't like. I also don't think it's entirely fair to judge the book if you haven't read it though. It could be the case that the novel is using "problematic" content to support an idea in the work. I think if you don't want to read anything at all with "questionable" content or morality, then you don't have to, but we should all keep in mind that we're reading books. Everything doesn't have to be Aesop's fables.

Three books I really like are The Tunnel by Ernesto Sabato, Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, and Reuben Sachs by Amy Levy. All three of these books have problematic content (misogyny/toxic masculinity, p*dophilia/grooming, and anti-semitism), but the books use those things to tell stories that reflect reality and prove points about society. I'm black, so I can understand where the upset people are coming from, but how much of an opinion can you really have on something you haven't read to know the full context?

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

The irony when she's always jumping into Book Twitter drama. If she's tired of the drama she needs to learn to stop jumping into the mix for likes and retweets.

Givemethajuice
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Givemethajuice »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:45 pm
The irony when she's always jumping into Book Twitter drama. If she's tired of the drama she needs to learn to stop jumping into the mix for likes and retweets.
She always acts like she is the only one allowed to have an opinion.

fakedroid
Learner
Learner

Post by fakedroid »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:45 pm
The lack of self-awareness she's showing in these tweets is honestly kind of astounding..... How does Myonna not realize by putting herself front and centre every time there's book twitter drama, as well as continuously posting callouts, make her a huge part of the book twitter community she's complaining about :roll:

smolante12
Learner
Learner

Post by smolante12 »

Honestly, I don't think she needed to comment on the book at all, but if she absolutely had to, she could've just said: "I've noticed some concerned tweets about _____ book. I read and liked the book, but I get why people would be hesitant to read it. I can't control what anyone on here reads or enjoys, but there is no perfect book. Some times problematic things can serve an analytical purpose in books, too. So, have a critical eye when reading _____." It's not that hard ffs.
Last edited by smolante12 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

smolante12 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:14 pm
Honestly, I don't think she needed to comment on the book at all, but if she absolutely had to, she could've just said: "I've noticed some concerned tweets about _____ book. I read and liked the book, but I get why people would be hesitant to read it. I can't control what anyone on here reads or enjoys, but there is no perfect book. Some times problematic things can serve an analytical purpose in books, too. So, have a critical eye when reading _____." It's not that hard ffs.
Lol she could never word it that way. And she doesn't read critically though hopeful her English courses will teach her to.

Return to “BookTube”