trash4hp
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Re: PolandBananasBooks

Post by trash4hp »

FutureDoctorGuy wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:34 pm
I'm gonna be completely and BRUTALLY honest about Christine Riccio.

I think she is the most obnoxious YouTuber I have ever come across. She is annoying. What is appealing about watching a twenty minute video of a girl who screams, and I mean SCREAMS, at her camera? One, her vocal chords will get damaged. Two, my ears will hurt. Three, her mic will be damaged. It's not funny actually.

Also, she's biased on EVERYTHING and she speaks like she has the superior opinion about everything.

Her book, Again, But Better, sucks. I'm sorry. It makes no sense at all. And her writing is mediorce at best. The characters are dumb and I actually laughed through the whole book because the writing is LAUGHABLE.
Agreed about ABB. That book was trash. I haven't watched a single one of her videos since I read the book because her book was such a self-insert and I found the MC so freaking annoying I just know I'd hate Christine in real life too lol.

WanderingWeirdo2
Debater
Debater

Post by WanderingWeirdo2 »

FutureDoctorGuy wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:34 pm
I'm gonna be completely and BRUTALLY honest about Christine Riccio.

I think she is the most obnoxious YouTuber I have ever come across. She is annoying. What is appealing about watching a twenty minute video of a girl who screams, and I mean SCREAMS, at her camera? One, her vocal chords will get damaged. Two, my ears will hurt. Three, her mic will be damaged. It's not funny actually.

Also, she's biased on EVERYTHING and she speaks like she has the superior opinion about everything.

Her book, Again, But Better, sucks. I'm sorry. It makes no sense at all. And her writing is mediorce at best. The characters are dumb and I actually laughed through the whole book because the writing is LAUGHABLE.
You summed it up pretty well. I still find myself watching her writing videos just because I enjoy writing content, but man... She's an absolute headache. I feel like she thinks if she shouts and puts on random accents and mispronounces words that that somehow makes her quirky and original. It just makes her obnoxious. She's over 30, right? Is she gonna be acting this juvenile when she's 40?

I never finished her book, and while it wasn't the worst thing I had read (can't speak on the last half of it) it wasn't great. I don't think I've ever seen an author be so blatant in their main character being a self insert before. I mean....everything was Christine, right down to the damn username.

sheslostcontrol
Informer
Informer
Been thanked: 0

Post by sheslostcontrol »

I just want to say, I finally saw her Adult books vs YA books and had to laugh when she held up the Dan Brown books as an example for adult books. I don't think anyone should be shamed for what they read, some people read just for fun/escape and YA is good for that. But adult books can be a lot more sophisticated than YA. Not Dan Brown books or the ones she seems to read, but Grapes of Wrath (which she made fun of) is. Again, it's fine and she should read what she wants, but she isn't good at making points.

I do hope she's learned a bit and her next book will be better than her last, though.

poplala
Stalker
Stalker
Been thanked: 0

Post by poplala »

I'm so disappointed with her videos to be honest. She has potentially great content because (for me at least) writing and publishing a book is very interesting. I find it engaging to learn about editors, cover design, internal page design and what it's like to work with a major publishing house. She could even provide incite into building an audience and all that.

What really sucks that no matter how hard I try I CANNOT get through an entire video thanks to all the screaming at the camera, rambling and nonsensical garbage she carries on with. It gets to the point where the yelling triggers my noise sensitivity and I get anxious and overwhelmed. It just too chaotic. Sadly the only quiet moments we get I she complaining about how much work she has to do and how hard it is. I know it's hard to write a book, but you know what's harder? GETTING AN AGENT AND A PUBLISHER. Be thankful for what you have and share your journey in a way that will help people or inspire them. If you're an author and you have a big platform why not encourage aspiring authors and give them something to strive for.

Just sit down and speak frankly about your experience. There is no need to to jump around and scream at your audience. It's just immature and exhausting.

WanderingWeirdo2
Debater
Debater

Post by WanderingWeirdo2 »

It's like she never evolved past the old youtube, where everyone had to shout and be spazzy to get attention. Most have calmed down, but she's still erratic and unnecessarily loud. I love the writing process, so those are the only videos of hers that I watch, and I always have to turn the volume way down. Isn't she in her thirties now? Why is she still doing this shtick?

greysweatpants20
Informer
Informer

Post by greysweatpants20 »

I've tried to get into her videos a couple times because likewise, I'm interested in seeing people's writing and publishing journey. But the constant screaming and screeching is just too much. She reminds me of the female version of that kid youtuber, Collin Keys or whatever. But at least that dude is legit trying to appeal to 8 year olds...

starkwordz
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by starkwordz »

Has anyone seen her most recent Q&A? She was surprisingly honest.

chocolatebunny
Learner
Learner

Post by chocolatebunny »

I really enjoyed that Q&A, I wasn’t expecting her to be so open and I don’t remember any obnoxious editing or yelling. If only she could be that chill in her writing videos.

audiobooks
Learner
Learner

Post by audiobooks »

I don't watch her videos, but I checked out her Q&A out of curiosity since I saw comments earlier speculating that she broke up with her bf. It was really hard hearing her talk about her breakup tbh. And to top it off with negative reviews of her book and her changing outlook on YouTube due to her status change into an author, it must've been even more difficult on her mental health. I feel pretty bad for her. :/

starkwordz
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by starkwordz »

audiobooks wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:20 pm
I don't watch her videos, but I checked out her Q&A out of curiosity since I saw comments earlier speculating that she broke up with her bf. It was really hard hearing her talk about her breakup tbh. And to top it off with negative reviews of her book and her changing outlook on YouTube due to her status change into an author, it must've been even more difficult on her mental health. I feel pretty bad for her. :/
While I certainly grew out of being a fan of hers I have to agree. She really shared some raw emotion and I have a lot of sympathy for her.

LowKeyBangtanTrash
Learner
Learner

Post by LowKeyBangtanTrash »

OK so yall got me curious so I went and checked out her channel after probably at least 2 years and I agree I really liked her demeanor in her Q&A. A bit more toned down, honest, and adult. It was refreshing. But holy hell someone please teach her how to make up. She's such a pretty girl, but if it's not wonky eyeliner, extreme eyebrows, or whatever is going on with her blush in this q&a lol. This is extremely petty, but she's SO pretty her makeup frustrates me to no end. at this point I think she should just go bare faced. (also her new hair cut is GORGEOUS I love that length and volume on her).

Starsabove13
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Starsabove13 »

LowKeyBangtanTrash wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:00 pm
OK so yall got me curious so I went and checked out her channel after probably at least 2 years and I agree I really liked her demeanor in her Q&A. A bit more toned down, honest, and adult. It was refreshing. But holy hell someone please teach her how to make up. She's such a pretty girl, but if it's not wonky eyeliner, extreme eyebrows, or whatever is going on with her blush in this q&a lol. This is extremely petty, but she's SO pretty her makeup frustrates me to no end. at this point I think she should just go bare faced. (also her new hair cut is GORGEOUS I love that length and volume on her).

YES. The eyebrows especially. How has she gone this long without someone telling her how bad they are. Her sister’s makeup is always on point, I would have hoped that she’d give her pointers.

Starsabove13
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Starsabove13 »

Why did she cut her hair like that again 😫 it ages her so much

soratyrus
Debater
Debater

Post by soratyrus »

I had to go to her channel to see what haircut you mean, and I always forget she has an autoplay video up where she immediately screams HELLO at you, and it startles me every time.

That new haircut is not flattering, wow. Also I skimmed through the new video and oh my god do people actually like this manic pixie energy? It feel like I'm watching a low budget Disney Channel show.

just a cat
Informer
Informer

Post by just a cat »

soratyrus wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:00 pm
Also I skimmed through the new video and oh my god do people actually like this manic pixie energy?
Personally, I don't mind it so much when she's actually got something of substance to talk about. Which is why I like her book tour/writing videos the best otherwise it gets really old real fast.

just a cat
Informer
Informer

Post by just a cat »

The only thing that really grinds my gears about Christine is her lack of depth. I can't tell if she does it on purpose because she's afraid of alienating any viewers or if she really is like that IRL. It's never been more painfully obvious than when she does author interviews or is interviewed herself and all questions revolve around dumb fandom shit (e.g. which of these characters would listen to Taylor Swift?). That's why I kind of hope we see more of author Christine because at least then there's something of value, even if her books are kind of a dumpster fire.

boredafbooks
Learner
Learner

Post by boredafbooks »

Did y'all see that Christine and Natasha are going to be on a 'Evolution of Booktube' panel at SDCC?

I get that they are OG's but they are two OG's that honestly feel so out of touch with current booktube. Christine posts more writing content than anything now unless it's a sponsored video and Natasha announced her comeback to YT 6 month ago and has posted 3 videos since (none about books). Idk it seems bizarre that they would even want to be on that panel.

Also on a separate random note, I lowkey think Natasha got lip filler and tried to play it off as an allergic reaction until the swelling went down....did anyone else think this?

xoxorupert
Talker
Talker

Post by xoxorupert »

boredafbooks wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:56 pm
Did y'all see that Christine and Natasha are going to be on a 'Evolution of Booktube' panel at SDCC?

I get that they are OG's but they are two OG's that honestly feel so out of touch with current booktube. Christine posts more writing content than anything now unless it's a sponsored video and Natasha announced her comeback to YT 6 month ago and has posted 3 videos since (none about books). Idk it seems bizarre that they would even want to be on that panel.

Also on a separate random note, I lowkey think Natasha got lip filler and tried to play it off as an allergic reaction until the swelling went down....did anyone else think this?
I think they're seasoned enough on booktube to do events and they're probably better at events than anyone else on booktube. They do have more of a presenter vibe and the right personality for it, I honestly can't imagine anyone on booktube rn who would be good presenters for SDCC

chriz92
Lurker
Lurker

Post by chriz92 »

xoxorupert wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:54 pm
boredafbooks wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:56 pm

I think they're seasoned enough on booktube to do events and they're probably better at events than anyone else on booktube. They do have more of a presenter vibe and the right personality for it, I honestly can't imagine anyone on booktube rn who would be good presenters for SDCC
They might be seasoned enough but they are so out of touch with booktube it's not even funny. Natasha hasn't posted a book-centric video in over a year. And it feels like Christine only talks about books when she does stuff like bookhauls, favorites lists and stuff like that. Don't get me wrong, I like them both but they don't represent booktube anymore.

boredafbooks
Learner
Learner

Post by boredafbooks »

I actually think the podcast with Christine and Natasha (Tashapolis) is a good move, I'm surprised more booktubers haven't tried to start a podcast.

The first episode was rough around the edges, but I think they will smooth it out.

I do think they're asking a little too much on their patreon for what the perks are...

Return to “BookTube”