Readwithcindy

sophisays
Debater
Debater

Re: Readwithcindy

Post by sophisays »

So,this thread is meant for "gush about Cindy"? I guess those who don't like here should take it to the main thread. Strange though, since Sasha gets roasted in her thread pretty much all the time and nobody tells ppl off for it there.

ferriswheel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ferriswheel »

sophisays wrote:So,this thread is meant for "gush about Cindy"? I guess those who don't like here should take it to the main thread. Strange though, since Sasha gets roasted in her thread pretty much all the time and nobody tells ppl off for it there.
I always look at the threads that aren't specifically labeled as a trash thread as open discussion. You can like her, you can dislike her, but try to keep it civil.

Sent from my LG-SP200 using Tapatalk

Peace, Love and Animal Crackers
ImageImageImage

ChronicTear
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by ChronicTear »

People can dislike her but those seem to be the people that get mad as all hell if someone comes in and says something nice. Lol

Like damn, do you need a hug? Not everyone is out here trying to trash everyone, some people are just trying to have a place to discuss booktubers.

I like Cindy and a lot of others and I also dislike Christine and Sasha and quite a few more and I genuinely don’t care if people like them. It doesn’t change my opinion of them but I also don’t care if people gush about them.

vortensity
Talker
Talker
Been thanked: 0

Post by vortensity »

I generally like Cindy but how many times is she dedicate whole videos making fun of Sara J Maas books? I have never had the desire to read those books so its not like I have some personal stake in it, and I even thought watching her make fun of the first one or two was entertaining, but I feel like it's just low hanging fruit at this point.

candycide
Learner
Learner

Post by candycide »

i'm so happy cindy finally finished and posted her last video on the acotar series because i never want to hear her talk about fairy dick ever again.

i enjoy her videos for the most part, but she does strike me as someone who is overly negative. we all know the acotar books are trash, and she knows it too, but she still makes these videos just for the sake of trashing them, and it was getting old. she reads too many generic YA fantasies and then doesn't like them, and everyone goes gaga over her "spilling the tea". like she always likes to say, it's not that deep. like why don't you pick up books that are actually good, and not just another cookie cutter YA? (i know she has, but i feel like the bad YA still dominates a lot of her reading that are outside of business-y non-fiction)

LowKeyBangtanTrash
Learner
Learner

Post by LowKeyBangtanTrash »

i would take a guess she reads trashy YA because most of her comments are telling her to read the trashy YA. I think she also generally enjoys fantasy YA so maybe she thought acotar would be good and then needed to finish the series out. I'm like that too, even if I hated the first book I feel like I need to complete the series.

atamarinda
Learner
Learner

Post by atamarinda »

What I love about Cindy is that she makes other booktubers mad lol
People take themselves waaay too serious
Being triggered because she said a book is trash
or because she rants about that fairy dick series
and the fact that she does not backs down on the drama lol
i love a petty bitch

Karas
Talker
Talker

Post by Karas »

LowKeyBangtanTrash wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:19 am
irritatedonyoutube wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:30 pm

I Love How The Rebuttal Is Always "You're Just Jealous!!11" :roll: :roll:
We're Not Gossiping About Her Because She's Successful, We're Gossiping About Her Because She's Overrated And Has Zero Charisma. Her Sense Of Humor Doesn't Work Because She Tries Too Hard And Genuinely Acts Like She's Too Good For The Booktube Community.
No One Cares If You're Successful Either.
I really disagree with this. I enjoy Cindy a lot, we have really similar senses of humor. I like how she doesn't take it too seriously, because it's not serious for her. Booktube is a hobby, she's not trying to make publishing her career, so she can vlog with the freedom from financial obligation. It's refreshing. I am also invested in her career because I feel connected to her as a person and I really want to see her succeed. If you don't like her humor that's fine, but she's doing something different in the booktube world, she's forging her own path and going against convention, and I respect her for that.
Both Cindy and Adam from momentomori over on the adult side of booktube are going for a very specific type of smug, sarcastic humour that's absolutely going to strike some people as mean or catty. I'm on the fence about heavy sarcasm because it's so easy for someone who isn't aiming for humour to say the same sarcastic things with complete seriousness, and I don't think the line is always as obvious as it could be.

So I don't think it's overly dramatic for people on either to love or hate that style of humour because that's the nature of sarcasm.

dew2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by dew2 »

I enjoy Cindy and agree with many of her reviews, but the ACOTAR and Hot Pterodactyl Boyfriend stuff has been really repetitive. Even so, I'm not going to lie, the Pterodactyl videos have made me die laughing, and who else would think to compare and contrast that book with Michelle Obama's?!

Also, Cindy is negative because she truly deals with chronic depression, the fallout from growing up with a terribly dysfunctional family, etc. It's not just an act or an annoying personality quirk for her. She really struggles sometimes. I like that she talks about it in a brutally honest way.

sitaikissme
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by sitaikissme »

cindy has quite a harsh/crass?? sense of humour so it tends to not fit with everyone, it's very you either love it or hate it. it's understandable her videos would not be everyone's cup of tea and while i do enjoy her videos i do need to be in the mood for them sometimes.

i am actually sick of her sarah.j.maas videos however, but that goes for any video that rags on pulp romance for being pulp romance or bad. i'm sick of listening about sarah.j.maas all the time and i found the sex jokes to be juvenile ig. like you knew what you were getting into it why act surprised. get over it or don't read it kind of thing.

Post by Guest »

I really loved her first video on the court of thorns and roses series - I decided to read the book because it seemed popular and was utterly weirded out by it. Her take on it was really funny because it portrayed a different and hilarious point of view on the story. But I couldn't really get through the rest of her videos; why continue reading a terrible series just for shits and giggles?

StillestRain
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by StillestRain »

she is trying so hard to make sjws on twitter happy lmao I bet she’d be an amusing person if she laid off the buzzwords and need to please woke fucks.

vortensity
Talker
Talker

Post by vortensity »

I don't know how I feel about the fact she's writing a book, but I do know I don't care enough to watch that video

oh_do_tell
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oh_do_tell »

vortensity wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:02 pm
I don't know how I feel about the fact she's writing a book, but I do know I don't care enough to watch that video
I skip all videos about writing because I don't have that interest and I don't plan to read any booktubers book no matter how I love their channel.
So if she is happy writing - great for her, It's just not my cup of tea.

sitaikissme
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by sitaikissme »

i'm interested in where her writing will go but god the section were she talked about the f/f relationship was some real cishet cringe lol. let's hope she gets some self awareness and does some research 🙏

vortensity
Talker
Talker

Post by vortensity »

oh_do_tell wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:49 am
vortensity wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:02 pm
I skip all videos about writing because I don't have that interest and I don't plan to read any booktubers book no matter how I love their channel.
So if she is happy writing - great for her, It's just not my cup of tea.
I love writing, and write myself, but a lot of videos about writing just annoy me. I'm not going to take advice from someone who hasn't been published. Granted, I've been spoiled by the creative writing class I took in undergrad and have online writing communities I've been a part of for like half my life. Additionally I've just lately started noticing how all Cindy reads is YA fantasy romance so I suspect that's what she's writing and I'm simply not interested in that genre at all.

TBH I'm thinking of unsubscribing from her channel because, while I like her personality and some of her rant reviews are funny, I just have 0 interest in the books she talks about anymore.

vortensity
Talker
Talker

Post by vortensity »

sitaikissme wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:33 am
i'm interested in where her writing will go but god the section were she talked about the f/f relationship was some real cishet cringe lol. let's hope she gets some self awareness and does some research 🙏
I feel like f/f romance is a selling point in a lot of books these days, so I wonder how much she's trying to be an ally vs capitalize on a trend

jabba13
Learner
Learner

Post by jabba13 »

vortensity wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:34 am
sitaikissme wrote:
I feel like f/f romance is a selling point in a lot of books these days, so I wonder how much she's trying to be an ally vs capitalize on a trend
I couldn’t tell if she was being sarcastic when she made it seem like writing f/f in YA was something no one else was doing.
This doesn’t sound like something I would read but good on her for having this goal. I also think the way she described the romance was cringe tbh. Sometimes I think straight people think they are being revolutionary by writing gay characters and I’m like hmmm okay!

sofetchxox
Informer
Informer

Post by sofetchxox »

jabba13 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:57 pm
vortensity wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:34 am
sitaikissme wrote:
I couldn’t tell if she was being sarcastic when she made it seem like writing f/f in YA was something no one else was doing.
This doesn’t sound like something I would read but good on her for having this goal. I also think the way she described the romance was cringe tbh. Sometimes I think straight people think they are being revolutionary by writing gay characters and I’m like hmmm okay!
TBH the way she’s touched on sexuality in the past has been pretty cringey. I’m not sure why she feels qualified to write about a F/F relationship

yeahiguess
Talker
Talker

Post by yeahiguess »

I think I've finally pinpointed why I can't enjoy Cindy's content as much as I would like and it's to do with her constant self-deprecation - I don't mind that she's sassy, I don't mind that she's sarcastic, I don't even mind that she leans towards pessimism more than optimism. My problem is that when she makes her jokes about her appearance/status/depression - which she does a lot - a lot of the things she "jokes" about herself are things I - and probably other people - relate to. And one or two jokes is one thing, but to constantly hear in every other sentence how awful some of these traits make her, and by extension the people who share them, just feels BAD man, you know?

Like, this is absolutely not her intention and I 100% do not think she's aware of it. I just wish she wouldn't vocalize so much of her .... I guess the way to phrase it would be personal negativity? It kind of gives it power over you, and other people who are like you. I thought about leaving a comment trying to say this as gently as I could on one of her videos, but I think people would just be like "oh you're being too sensitive" which is frustrating bcs it completely bypasses the point. I'm not offended by Cindy - I'm just sad lmao. The negative things she says about herself come from real places of insecurity - we all do it! - and to hear it constantly, and relate to, can be exhausting.

Return to “BookTube”