Book Twitter

Asdf_lurker
Learner
Learner

Re: Book Twitter

Post by Asdf_lurker »

The first half has the missing tweets from the Emery Lee conversation for anyone still interested.

Arriahj
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Arriahj »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:01 pm
Arriahj wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:31 am

Exactly these book are out there where if you like certain tropes or genre and want the MC and want them to be in the early 20s. It's all about finding them, just like we go looking for new releases and looking for new movies it all about doing your research and then saying how can we get this more attention
And these stories are out there too it's just that the premise is not presented as navigating life after graduation.

Most definitely because when I see people talking about that it almost seem to me they looking for a self help book or fiction book that talk about life after college or during college

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Arriahj wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:24 pm
TheBookishBabe wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:01 pm

And these stories are out there too it's just that the premise is not presented as navigating life after graduation.

Most definitely because when I see people talking about that it almost seem to me they looking for a self help book or fiction book that talk about life after college or during college
Most romance books I pick up feature people in their 20s navigating life after college. Just because the synopsis doesn't say so and so is navigating life after college doesn't mean they aren't doing it. This is why people need to go to the adult section more. Most people do not spend their post college years relating everything back to college. During those years people are dating, starting families, and moving up in their careers.

greysweatpants20
Informer
Informer

Post by greysweatpants20 »

Asdf_lurker wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:38 pm
The first half has the missing tweets from the Emery Lee conversation for anyone still interested.

One aspect of the Emery situation that irritates me is that Emery is giving their followers just enough of the conversation to ensure their followers are on their side. But they will not, for whatever reason, just say the whole story. Like what is there to be coy about at this point, you said the agent's whole ass name already. Even going as far as to provide a small screenshot of the last message they sent to the agent but has still not said what the edits in question even were. Without even knowing what was being asked of Emery, I have no interest in hearing a one sided interpretation of a private conversation.

I don't "believe" the agent any more than I believe Emery, but I also don't believe anyone who gives me half the facts/story but expects full support.

freezedriedfruit
Debater
Debater

Post by freezedriedfruit »

YIkes, so it sounds like Emery wanted to do something that wouldn't be considered "good craft" in publishing (making it potentially less sellable? out of Beth's depth to edit?) and Beth just noped right out of there.

I'm not sure if this is equivalent to Emery's comparisons about writing from a trans/POC point of view though. Those could be more about narrative, i.e. what is being written compared to this case which sounds like the issue is over how something is being written.

Wish Emery actually revealed the crux of the issue instead of dancing around it.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Emery is so exhausting on Twitter with his constantly jumping into the discourse of the moment and attempting to invalidate others I can only imagine how exhausted Beth was trying to get him to do edits.

DeathArcana
Talker
Talker

Post by DeathArcana »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:52 pm
Emery is so exhausting on Twitter with his constantly jumping into the discourse of the moment and attempting to invalidate others I can only imagine how exhausted Beth was trying to get him to do edits.
this ^ I have a feeling it was less about him and his minority labels and more-so, just never doing work because he is ALWAYS on Twitter, starting drama.

Annaj001
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Annaj001 »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:34 pm
Arriahj wrote:

Most romance books I pick up feature people in their 20s navigating life after college. Just because the synopsis doesn't say so and so is navigating life after college doesn't mean they aren't doing it. This is why people need to go to the adult section more. Most people do not spend their post college years relating everything back to college. During those years people are dating, starting families, and moving up in their careers.
I agree. This persons tweet kind of contradicts itself because...that IS what life is like in your 20’s. And, Not to state the obvious, but not everybody goes to college.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Annaj001 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:46 pm
TheBookishBabe wrote:

I agree. This persons tweet kind of contradicts itself because...that IS what life is like in your 20’s. And, Not to state the obvious, but not everybody goes to college.
And some of us who go to college don't do grad school and jump right into the workforce. Or some people decide to do community college or online college while working full time in their 20s. I'm at the stage of my 20s where most people I know have kids. Alot of the ones complaoning on Twitter seem to be fresh out of college or in grad school and don't realize you can't sustain an entire book just off the basic idea of learning to be an adult. And that most people do not sit around relating all their experiences back to college. My first year after college I was still stuck in that mentality because I spent like 6 months after working at a college in my hometown. When I changed jobs none of the people I was working with were college grads.

silkytoes
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by silkytoes »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Annaj001 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:46 pm
And some of us who go to college don't do grad school and jump right into the workforce. Or some people decide to do community college or online college while working full time in their 20s. I'm at the stage of my 20s where most people I know have kids. Alot of the ones complaoning on Twitter seem to be fresh out of college or in grad school and don't realize you can't sustain an entire book just off the basic idea of learning to be an adult. And that most people do not sit around relating all their experiences back to college. My first year after college I was still stuck in that mentality because I spent like 6 months after working at a college in my hometown. When I changed jobs none of the people I was working with were college grads.
I don't understand how you could make a neat tidy story out of that concept. Like people graduate, spend a year or two 'figuring out how to be an adult' then that's it, they're done and ready to live out the rest of their 20s?

Man, I'm in my late 20s and still figuring adulthood out. I have friends in their late 30s still figuring it out. Once you leave education, people stop developing and hitting these checkpoints at the same rate, you can easily read books about adults of any age and still get something out of it in relation to how to navigate your own life.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

I really don't understand Alyssa Cole's response in relationto the Diversity Report crituqe. Publishers don't care ebough to submit data to this flawed ass report so why would they be laughing at the discourse? And how is people pointing out that that the critique doesnt tell us anything beyond what we already knew a problem? You can't take this data and present it to anpublisher and make an arguemebt because it makes no sense due to the way it was collected and the random unclear percentages on it. Bad data is not better than no data.

What's not to understand?

DragonSipsTea
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DragonSipsTea »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Arriahj wrote:

I've never understood the push for a "New Adult" category. "Young Adult" is just a marketing tool. Why are people asking for marketing? What's the point in joining a community that talk about books if we can't even communicate which books would be great for people in their 20s? :? I've seen a few good videos talking about YA to Adult fantasy recs, not sure about contemporaries. Maybe not enough people are seeking these videos out or know they exist at all.

Most of the people asking for this are in their late 20s - 30s. The adult fiction section really isn't that intimidating, just browse for a bit and eventually you'll find something you vibe with.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

DragonSipsTea wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:04 pm
TheBookishBabe wrote:

I've never understood the push for a "New Adult" category. "Young Adult" is just a marketing tool. Why are people asking for marketing? What's the point in joining a community that talk about books if we can't even communicate which books would be great for people in their 20s? :? I've seen a few good videos talking about YA to Adult fantasy recs, not sure about contemporaries. Maybe not enough people are seeking these videos out or know they exist at all.

Most of the people asking for this are in their late 20s - 30s. The adult fiction section really isn't that intimidating, just browse for a bit and eventually you'll find something you vibe with.
My librarian friend said she would like it only to be able to separate the books featuring 20 somethings in college out for the library patrons but other than that it's pointless.

As you read more adult books you see the real lack is in books for people 30+. I see too many people in the book community begging publishers to market to them what they should read. You know instead of wielding their influence to tell the publishers what they should be pushing.

freezedriedfruit
Debater
Debater

In the SFF realm at least, it feels like people are asking for more accessibly written adult books when they talk about wanting NA— e.g. The Poppy War, Uprooted, The House in the Cerulean Sea or even SJM books. Something that is a quick, easy read like YA is, but with older characters and not bound by the constraints of YA. Not everyone wants to read a giant high fantasy tome with detailed worldbuilding, dense writing and 30 POVs and that's fair enough.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

freezedriedfruit wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:29 pm
In the SFF realm at least, it feels like people are asking for more accessibly written adult books when they talk about wanting NA— e.g. The Poppy War, Uprooted, The House in the Cerulean Sea or even SJM books. Something that is a quick, easy read like YA is, but with older characters and not bound by the constraints of YA. Not everyone wants to read a giant high fantasy tome with detailed worldbuilding, dense writing and 30 POVs and that's fair enough.
People do write those in the SFF world and then readers constantly mislabel them as YA and even complain about those books feeling too young and simplistic.

Asdf_lurker
Learner
Learner

Post by Asdf_lurker »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:47 pm
freezedriedfruit wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:29 pm
People do write those in the SFF world and then readers constantly mislabel them as YA and even complain about those books feeling too young and simplistic.
I also feel like, though haven't read enough to really tell, that there is a lot of these style of books on the indie SFF market in places like Kindle unlimited but because booktubers only push hot new releases from mainstream publishers they miss anything that would be in there wheelhouse but requires just a little bit of research to find.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Asdf_lurker wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:54 pm
TheBookishBabe wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:47 pm

I also feel like, though haven't read enough to really tell, that there is a lot of these style of books on the indie SFF market in places like Kindle unlimited but because booktubers only push hot new releases from mainstream publishers they miss anything that would be in there wheelhouse but requires just a little bit of research to find.
That too and some replies did mention that people need to go read some indie. And then folks like Emery Lee dubbed indie inaccessible even though indie allows authors from around the world who wouldn't have the opportunity otherwise to publish their books. And many authors actually get book deals now based off their indie sales. There's a misconception that most indie is only available via ebook. Most small indie presses offer paperbacks. Authors on Amazon have the option to offer paperbacks and most end up doing that.

Asdf_lurker
Learner
Learner

Post by Asdf_lurker »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:12 pm
Asdf_lurker wrote:

That too and some replies did mention that people need to go read some indie. And then folks like Emery Lee dubbed indie inaccessible even though indie allows authors from around the world who wouldn't have the opportunity otherwise to publish their books. And many authors actually get book deals now based off their indie sales. There's a misconception that most indie is only available via ebook. Most small indie presses offer paperbacks. Authors on Amazon have the option to offer paperbacks and most end up doing that.

wow, this is such a bad take, lots of indie books are accessible for readers because they use a print on demand model and while it might take a few months for the audiobooks to be made indie authors were the first ones to mass adopt audiobooks. Amazon will literally recommend you indie books depending on how deep into the algorithm you end up.

Though apparently, this was the point he was making, not to derail conversations about what traditional publishing needs to do more of by saying read indie - which as the person who replied to him said he could have made that clear in his original tweet.

Still, if you want to shake up the system not being cultish tied to the traditional publishing model is one way to do it. Why, should I get all my book recommendations from traditional publishing if there are black joy books in self-publishing shouldn't we be promoting them and uplifting those authors who are probably black authors themselves. I really don't get this mentality that the only way to change publishing is to do so through traditional publishing.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Asdf_lurker wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:40 pm
TheBookishBabe wrote:

wow, this is such a bad take, lots of indie books are accessible for readers because they use a print on demand model and while it might take a few months for the audiobooks to be made indie authors were the first ones to mass adopt audiobooks. Amazon will literally recommend you indie books depending on how deep into the algorithm you end up.

Though apparently, this was the point he was making, not to derail conversations about what traditional publishing needs to do more of by saying read indie - which as the person who replied to him said he could have made that clear in his original tweet.

Still, if you want to shake up the system not being cultish tied to the traditional publishing model is one way to do it. Why, should I get all my book recommendations from traditional publishing if there are black joy books in self-publishing shouldn't we be promoting them and uplifting those authors who are probably black authors themselves. I really don't get this mentality that the only way to change publishing is to do so through traditional publishing.
Emery loves to bring it back to race as a defense when he's wrong. I'm Black myself and I find that annoying. His initial take was based on the we need more books from people in their 20s tweets which didn't mention Black joy books at all. People were saying they have those books you want as indie go branch out and try those books. The big 5 aren't the only options for books and begging them constantly for NA when they tried, failed, and moved past it doesn't do anything.

freezedriedfruit
Debater
Debater

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Asdf_lurker wrote:

Is Emery just bitter that his indie book flopped? IIRC, he published this book as C.T. Callahan way back in the day called Plastic Wings, and I remember him doing EXACTLY the the thing he's talking about here: complaining about how people who wanted more diversity didn't read his book and how everyone ignored #ownvoices indie authors.

Return to “Twitter”