Jordan Harvey

Jordan Harvey

Post by Guest »

Am I the only one who doesn't like her content? Her video on why she didn't like dystopian novels was so off. She hasn't even read all of the novels she talked about. You can't just spout names of classics you haven't read to try to prove a point.
Plus, her new content is mainly her trying to be relatable. I hate hearing white youtubers in their twenties saying "That's the tea". Grow up, seriously.

Cosima
Talker
Talker
Been thanked: 0

Re: Jordan Harvey

Post by Cosima »

I remember liking her dystopian books video, it's been a while since she made it. I'm not a fan of recent dystopian novels either, they just seem like "teenagers vs. evil government" to me. I like my dystopians societies to be more than hastily made backdrops for someone's love triangle and coming of age story.

Her views on the newer Star Wars movies aside, I like her content just fine. I have no idea why being white, in your 20's, on youtube, and saying popular phrases is a sign of immaturity though :-?

sophisays
Debater
Debater

Post by sophisays »

I stopped watching Jordan completely after her star wars vids (was a pretty sporadic viewer anyway).

She, paperbackdreams,mynameismarines and recently readwithcindy all belong to the other spectrum of the booktubers.Young YA reading females..BUuuuttttt..like, edgy ya know..not like the other girls... With Critical opinions, nice big college vocabulary to add gravitas and basically an alternate to the classics snobs/adult booktubers.

no offense to anyone who watches them, but it started feeling so very contrived in all of their cases and while I understand the need for content, I personally, look for genuine opinions.

Post by Guest »

Cosima wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:16 am
I remember liking her dystopian books video, it's been a while since she made it. I'm not a fan of recent dystopian novels either, they just seem like "teenagers vs. evil government" to me. I like my dystopians societies to be more than hastily made backdrops for someone's love triangle and coming of age story.

Her views on the newer Star Wars movies aside, I like her content just fine. I have no idea why being white, in your 20's, on youtube, and saying popular phrases is a sign of immaturity though :-?
Let me give some context to why I said it's immature to have those characteristics (not that being white and your age are a characteristic of course, it's just a label to make them identifiable) COMBINED. "That's the tea" is a phrase falling into AAVE - African American Vernacular English, which evolved into becoming popular slang for teenagers to say. A pet peeve of mine PERSONALLY is white youtubers who aren't teenagers anymore saying slang (usually AAVE) that is clearly not something people in their age group would say.

Plus, I never said being on youtube makes you immature. I said saying those phrases on youtube with the age that Jordan and other youtubers falling into those characteristics is simply immature.

genreofbooks_book
Lurker
Lurker

Post by genreofbooks_book »

I agree with Unpopularbooktube about not liking her content. I’m sure we just have different views on books and stuff, but her video on Diversity was really misguided. Like she says, it’s not scripted or anything like her usual videos, but I feel like she was really off base with the problems she has.

It sounded a bit demeaning how she talks about those "passionate people who are crusading" aka book people who are usually under represented, as those who are out to “cancel”, “gatekeep” who can tell what stories, or “don’t know what is right due to the gray zone” . And that those who are confused (privileged writers) are going to get their feelings hurt, like that is as bad as an under represented author never getting a chance to share their work?

She says that stories like The Hate U Give or Crazy Rich Asians, were stories that readers had an appetite for and then goes on to discuss in the same topic that it’s due to representation. It’s not just about representation though, it’s more about the authenticity of the experience being told. You can research something all you want, but nothing trumps the knowledge that comes from the experience being written about & that’s where I feel she doesn’t understand.

She also says how wonderful it is to write and create stories about cultures and identities that aren’t her own, that she would want to include. However, she says that it is a difficult time for story tellers “because there is no clear answer, general consensus on what’s right” (her confusion). There is no difficult time for storytellers, authors who are respectful and do their research on what they write about have no reason to worry about backlash on their book.

I dislike the idea of reading a story from a different background as yourself as “learning” but that’s another discussion. To me, it just seems that She just wants people to educate her or sympathize with her own point of view, but not to think critically about why authors whose stories are not well informed can eclipse stories by under-represented authors. She also seems to want an answer(?) to this very large discussion/ complex facet and aspect, in addition to responses from “all sides of this topic” (which just made my eyes roll when she said this). But by reading from authors of different identities, I feel like she would have her answer and be less confused? My biggest problem with Jordan’s video is this fear mentality of privileged creators, they use this worry that they’ll say something or write something wrong as an excuse to avoid writing more inclusive works. Again, her confusion really seems to stem from the fact that her own reading tastes seem to be lacking in inclusivity, it would be a good start to read more Own Voices and non-white authored books, then maybe she would start to see this topic more clearly. Agreed though, that uninformed takes on social media are not good.

IDK this is really ramble-y but I had a lot to say on this!

Cosima
Talker
Talker

Post by Cosima »

unpopularbooktube wrote: et me give some context to why I said it's immature to have those characteristics (not that being white and your age are a characteristic of course, it's just a label to make them identifiable) COMBINED. "That's the tea" is a phrase falling into AAVE - African American Vernacular English, which evolved into becoming popular slang for teenagers to say. A pet peeve of mine PERSONALLY is white youtubers who aren't teenagers anymore saying slang (usually AAVE) that is clearly not something people in their age group would say.
Thanks, I thought it might be that. Being from the other side of the planet and not speaking English as a first language, slang only gets to me by the time everyone is saying it and it's not always easy to find where a phrase originated.

cringeanalyst
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by cringeanalyst »

unpopularbooktube wrote: Am I the only one who doesn't like her content? Her video on why she didn't like dystopian novels was so off. She hasn't even read all of the novels she talked about. You can't just spout names of classics you haven't read to try to prove a point.
Plus, her new content is mainly her trying to be relatable. I hate hearing white youtubers in their twenties saying "That's the tea". Grow up, seriously.
to be fair i feel like most of the booktube content i've seen is "white youtubers in their twenties saying 'that's the tea'" which is how i ended up finding this site in the first place lol

HomuraSama16
Learner
Learner

Post by HomuraSama16 »

unpopularbooktube wrote:
Cosima wrote: I remember liking her dystopian books video, it's been a while since she made it. I'm not a fan of recent dystopian novels either, they just seem like "teenagers vs. evil government" to me. I like my dystopians societies to be more than hastily made backdrops for someone's love triangle and coming of age story.

Let me give some context to why I said it's immature to have those characteristics (not that being white and your age are a characteristic of course, it's just a label to make them identifiable) COMBINED. "That's the tea" is a phrase falling into AAVE - African American Vernacular English, which evolved into becoming popular slang for teenagers to say. A pet peeve of mine PERSONALLY is white youtubers who aren't teenagers anymore saying slang (usually AAVE) that is clearly not something people in their age group would say.

Plus, I never said being on youtube makes you immature. I said saying those phrases on youtube with the age that Jordan and other youtubers falling into those characteristics is simply immature.
Are you black? I'm black and I don't have a problem or see anything wrong with her saying "That's the tea". Maybe it's just me but I could care less.

KEsPettiness
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by KEsPettiness »

unpopularbooktube wrote: Plus, I never said being on youtube makes you immature. I said saying those phrases on youtube with the age that Jordan and other youtubers falling into those characteristics is simply immature.
I agree with this. I personally can't stand the "spilling the tea" shit. It's just so childish to me, but then again, we are talking about adults who read young adult "romance" books written by even older women who still can't get over being turned down by the popular boys at their high school, so whatever.

faeling
Learner
Learner

Post by faeling »

Did anyone see the new video she posted? I'm very excited to see her back, even if she is moving a little away from bookish things. I've always really liked her content and thought that her critical eye was refreshing.

BasicBooktuber1
Talker
Talker

Post by BasicBooktuber1 »

faeling wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:06 pm
Did anyone see the new video she posted? I'm very excited to see her back, even if she is moving a little away from bookish things. I've always really liked her content and thought that her critical eye was refreshing.
I just watched it and thought it was great. It's nice to see YouTubers change their content as they change as people.

Return to “BookTube”