Insane Reader

Insane Reader

Post by Guest »

Tbh his content is starting to really annoy me. He's starting to shift towards critical booktube yet he likes series by Sarah J Mass and Cassandra Clare. The last straw for me was his latest video, first titled "If you hate the Hunger Games, you're wrong" where he DOESN'T EVEN TALK ABOUT THE BOOKS. The video is just him throwing shade at Divergent and it's not a good review at all.

oh_do_tell
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Insane Reader

Post by oh_do_tell »

For some reason, his videos are so fun for me. At least he does some different videos then typical ones and I think he deserves 100k subs.

I didn't like when he's critical and of course, people hate him ... and then he deletes the videos. I hope he will stand by his thoughts and ignore haters. Maybe when he's a bit older.

Post by Guest »

His videos can be hit or miss, but I personally love his vlogs where he reads trashy romance novels. It cracks me up.

imsobored
Lurker
Lurker
Been thanked: 0

Post by imsobored »

He really pisses me off. I made a comment on one of his videos a while ago and gave him a rec for a book that he should read and do a rant review on if he hated it (bc it was trashy NA) and he commented on it and said, in a super rude way, that he only read books that he knew he was going to like. At the time, it was one of his only negative reviews - like it was Colleen Hoover or something, I forgot, so I realized he was right and I was out of place and deleted my comment. Also felt shitty about it for a while.

But now, looking at how his channel's grown and what his content is like?? I shouldn't have deleted my comment. I have nothing against people who do rant reviews or read trashy books for views but be honest about it if you're going to do it.

super_smize
Learner
Learner

Post by super_smize »

I like him, though I think his last few videos have been low-hanging fruit. Like, everyone knows After and Divergent and My immortal aren't good. I do like when he makes fun of the community a little and I like his writing videos. I feel like more and more he's trying to emulate Jenny Nicholson and he doesn't need to. He was just fine drawing stupid book covers on his face or recreating bookstagram pictures or doing his vlogs. I kinda miss that stuff.

Leonhardts
Learner
Learner

Post by Leonhardts »

imsobored wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:40 am
He really pisses me off. I made a comment on one of his videos a while ago and gave him a rec for a book that he should read and do a rant review on if he hated it (bc it was trashy NA) and he commented on it and said, in a super rude way, that he only read books that he knew he was going to like. At the time, it was one of his only negative reviews - like it was Colleen Hoover or something, I forgot, so I realized he was right and I was out of place and deleted my comment. Also felt shitty about it for a while.

But now, looking at how his channel's grown and what his content is like?? I shouldn't have deleted my comment. I have nothing against people who do rant reviews or read trashy books for views but be honest about it if you're going to do it.
I feel like a lot of booktubers do this. Like they get really popular for a rant review and than starting doing more. Than they decide that since the reviews are negative they they are promoting negativity and they’ve always wanted their channel to be a positive channel talking about to things they love. Like I know Caleb did it, paperbackdreams, and LilyCReads too. But most of them continue to do rant reviews because those get the most reviews or maybe those are the actual videos they like doing.

And I agree with others. He is definitely trying to be more Jenny Nicholson, and it’s just not working. I wonder if it’s because he is becoming less interested in books. Regardless, I genuinely like his channel and will still continue to watch.

super_smize
Learner
Learner

Post by super_smize »

Leonhardts wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:48 am
imsobored wrote:

I feel like a lot of booktubers do this. Like they get really popular for a rant review and than starting doing more. Than they decide that since the reviews are negative they they are promoting negativity and they’ve always wanted their channel to be a positive channel talking about to things they love. Like I know Caleb did it, paperbackdreams, and LilyCReads too. But most of them continue to do rant reviews because those get the most reviews or maybe those are the actual videos they like doing.

And I agree with others. He is definitely trying to be more Jenny Nicholson, and it’s just not working. I wonder if it’s because he is becoming less interested in books. Regardless, I genuinely like his channel and will still continue to watch.
I hated when paperbackdreams privated or deleted all of her Throne of Glass reviews because they were negative. I almost unsubbed from her. I had just started reading the series so I was interested to see what she thought because I enjoyed her discussion on ACOTAR, even if I enjoyed those books more than she did. I didn't understand why she did it -- did SJM fans leave hate comments all the time? Girl's gotta have more of a backbone than that and Kat always seemed like the kind of person who didn't care. But it's her channel and she could do what she wanted with it so I stayed subscribed. And now she's started doing negative reviews for other books. Like, why only delete the Maas ones? It makes no sense to me.

Post by Guest »

Leonhardts wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:48 am
imsobored wrote:

It's funny because in his video reacting to his old content he says how he was trying to copy other booktubers and sees smaller booktubers doing so, but he's simply describing himself. His older videos are copying Jessethereaders personality, and his new videos are copying Jenny Nicholson's format, except without Jenny's personality that makes it entertaining. Plus Jenny's voice isn't as annoying as Caleb's.

Post by Guest »

super_smize wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:59 am

I hated when paperbackdreams privated or deleted all of her Throne of Glass reviews because they were negative. I almost unsubbed from her. I had just started reading the series so I was interested to see what she thought because I enjoyed her discussion on ACOTAR, even if I enjoyed those books more than she did. I didn't understand why she did it -- did SJM fans leave hate comments all the time? Girl's gotta have more of a backbone than that and Kat always seemed like the kind of person who didn't care. But it's her channel and she could do what she wanted with it so I stayed subscribed. And now she's started doing negative reviews for other books. Like, why only delete the Maas ones? It makes no sense to me.
Im going to assume the fans overwhelmed her comments because I once made a comment on what I thought and holy F if they could have tarred and feathered me they would have lol

Post by Guest »

Bugg wrote:
super_smize wrote:
Im going to assume the fans overwhelmed her comments because I once made a comment on what I thought and holy F if they could have tarred and feathered me they would have lol
I didn't realize how toxic the SJM fandom is. I thought her books were popularly hated on booktube. No wonder everyone thinks not liking SJM is an unpopular opinion

liana234
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0

Post by liana234 »

Aw I love Caleb. I think his humor is so refreshing in the booktube community and doesn’t have that sort of awkward/“quirky” or overly deadpan humor that some other booktubers have. I found him randomly through one of his reviews for a book I hadn’t even read before and stayed just because he was so funny. I will agree that he overdid it a bit with the Divergent slander though. But I still really like him because he’s so entertaining (his My Immortal videos is one of the best things I’ve seen in a while) and his personality seems dope.

Post by Guest »

liana234 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:08 am
Aw I love Caleb. I think his humor is so refreshing in the booktube community and doesn’t have that sort of awkward/“quirky” or overly deadpan humor that some other booktubers have. I found him randomly through one of his reviews for a book I hadn’t even read before and stayed just because he was so funny. I will agree that he overdid it a bit with the Divergent slander though. But I still really like him because he’s so entertaining (his My Immortal videos is one of the best things I’ve seen in a while) and his personality seems dope.
Yes! One of my favorite things to do is watch his videos on 1.5x or 2x speed. All of his edits and "yikes" just become that much more manic and hilarious. His channel is like crack. I can't stop. I also really respect that he calls out toxic behavior in the books that he reads and owns his negative reviews as well as his positive reviews of "bad" books.

Post by Guest »

yuuki_ftw wrote:
liana234 wrote: Aw I love Caleb. I think his humor is so refreshing in the booktube community and doesn’t have that sort of awkward/“quirky” or overly deadpan humor that some other booktubers have. I found him randomly through one of his reviews for a book I hadn’t even read before and stayed just because he was so funny. I will agree that he overdid it a bit with the Divergent slander though. But I still really like him because he’s so entertaining (his My Immortal videos is one of the best things I’ve seen in a while) and his personality seems dope.
Yes! One of my favorite things to do is watch his videos on 1.5x or 2x speed. All of his edits and "yikes" just become that much more manic and hilarious. His channel is like crack. I can't stop. I also really respect that he calls out toxic behavior in the books that he reads and owns his negative reviews as well as his positive reviews of "bad" books.
lmaoo everything you said after 'i can't stop' is not true. He reads Shadowhunters and Sarah J Mass's piles of shit, which glorify abuse to the max. He cherrypicks the books he wants to criticize - the "rant reviews" he does are about books no-one would like (i.e. The Cellar). He wouldn't be able to criticize his 'faves' for the fear of getting criticized for it. Plus he's always deleting videos because he can't be honest about his opinions and how he's changed.

Post by Guest »

unpopularbooktube wrote:
yuuki_ftw wrote:
liana234 wrote: Aw I love Caleb. I think his humor is so refreshing in the booktube community and doesn’t have that sort of awkward/“quirky” or overly deadpan humor that some other booktubers have. I found him randomly through one of his reviews for a book I hadn’t even read before and stayed just because he was so funny. I will agree that he overdid it a bit with the Divergent slander though. But I still really like him because he’s so entertaining (his My Immortal videos is one of the best things I’ve seen in a while) and his personality seems dope.
lmaoo everything you said after 'i can't stop' is not true. He reads Shadowhunters and Sarah J Mass's piles of shit, which glorify abuse to the max. He cherrypicks the books he wants to criticize - the "rant reviews" he does are about books no-one would like (i.e. The Cellar). He wouldn't be able to criticize his 'faves' for the fear of getting criticized for it. Plus he's always deleting videos because he can't be honest about his opinions and how he's changed.
Really? tbh, I've only watched 2018 and 2019 vids. Any further back and I'm just like... you a tiny bean, and I cannot. But I'll take your word for it. Whatevs.

oh_do_tell
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oh_do_tell »

I just realized he has over 100k subscribers, woow he got them very fast in the last year.

Post by Guest »

oh_do_tell wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:45 am
I just realized he has over 100k subscribers, woow he got them very fast in the last year.
Not a surprise, considering that he's trying to be a Luke Alexander / Casey Aionso type to fit in with non-booktube. His personality is so fake and curated to appeal to the lowest-common denominator, perfect to be the ideal influencer :roll:

Post by Guest »

This has to be his worst video ever posted. He's so fucking annoying in this.
The first video he reacts to is a video with less than 1000 views, why does he need to attack small creators? And on top of that, he strawmans the entire video! The girl was saying that it's not okay to bash an author just because you don't like their books, and he watched 2 minutes of her 10 minute video - you have no idea what her general point is!
It's him trying to be funny and making faces at smaller creators addressing their problems with Booktube. It's not working unless your target audience is way younger with the IQ of 0.
This video is made for him to promote his video called "Negative Reviewers Don't Want Attention" that is deleted because Caleb's fucking spineless and can't stick to his opinions for fear of getting backlash.
Plus, him flexing about his sponsorships and shading booktubers without saying names while saying "I want the tea!!11"
I swear I lost brain cells watching this video

slippers4days
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by slippers4days »

unpopularbooktube wrote:
The video is unavailable for me, what was it called? Maybe it was deleted

Post by Guest »

slippers4days wrote:
unpopularbooktube wrote:
The video is unavailable for me, what was it called? Maybe it was deleted
OH SHIT HE DELETED IT. This is definitely proof that he reads here.
It was called "Reacting to Booktube Drama" where he searches "booktube drama" into the search and badly reacts to the videos that come up by making faces at the camera and promoting his video about negative reviewers not wanting attention (which is also deleted btw)/

Post by Guest »

AND HE CHANGED HIS CHANNEL NAME TO CALEB JOSEPH. He's trying to rebrand into a basic influencer and follow Casey Aonso's lead. This is gonna be a trainwreck.

Return to “BookTube”