Insane Reader

confettiyoyo
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Insane Reader

Post by confettiyoyo »

I hadn't even considered that they could be taken differently (thanks for pointing that out), but I saw more comments interpreting it how he meant it. It's important to note that intention doesn't always equal interpretation, but I think his video did more good than harm (since a majority of comments I saw were responding well to his video (granted youtubers can and do delete negative comments so...)

potatopeeler92
Learner
Learner

Post by potatopeeler92 »

Update, someone wrote a whole document that had all the quotes and jokes from his video

confettiyoyo
Lurker
Lurker

Post by confettiyoyo »

BooksandTea wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:26 pm
I'm not disabled so I don't know how valid my opinion is on this but I really feel like Caleb is mocking the movies and not the characters. Like the quote is that doc linked above 'dying may not be hot but it sure is fun!' is surely a critique of how the movie is portraying a serious illness to be fun, he's not actually critiquing the person who is ill?

And the person in the thread I linked was angry at him for critiquing one for being boring, yes being terminally ill IS probably boring in reality......but it's a movie. If a movie is boring it's not a good movie. Is that ableist to say?

Like his whole premise is that one movie made loads of money on the back of romanticizing/glorifying illness and so then a bunch of other movies did the same thing and that is a morally bad thing and it resulted in some bad movies. I really feel like theres a difference between critiquing the bad movies and then being ableist against real people who have these illnesses in real life. Maybe he could have been more careful in how he articulated himself. But it feels like a reach to call it ableism
This is how I interpreted his video, he wasn't making fun of people who actually suffer from these illness, but instead the production companies that see easy money in stories centering around sick/ dying teens after the success of TFIOS. I also think pulling the quotes out of context doesn't help you case, like, a lot of quotes aren't great when pulled out of context.

oh_do_tell
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oh_do_tell »

This situation just shows how people are stupid, shallow, and quick to cancel without any proof. So a lot of people start with "I haven't watched the video, but ..."
Of course, you haven't so you have no right to criticize the video ... if any one of those people watched the video they would know he never said anything bad about diseases ...

greysweatpants20
Informer
Informer

Post by greysweatpants20 »

God this is like a prime example of booktube inventing problems. Caleb is far from the first person who has made fun of or critiqued sicklit. It's a fact that those later movies were capitalizing on the success of TFIOS whether they were based on a true story or not. Another YouTuber I follow made a humorous video about quarantine/covid romance novels, are people gonna grab their pitchforks because he's making fun of people who died from covid?

potatopeeler92
Learner
Learner

Post by potatopeeler92 »

Did he delete his Twitter recently? I can't find it anymore even though I remember seeing him tweet about posting his latest video. Did he deactivate from all of the criticisms?

perduthecat
Learner
Learner

Post by perduthecat »

i just watched the whole video and 90% of it is criticizing the writing/acting of the movie and I've seen a lot of similar criticisms directed towards these movies by disabled people. correct me if i'm wrong please but I'm 90% sure none of these are own voices? furthermore, whoever gathered those quotes admits they haven't seen some of those movies?? i've read/seen me and earl and the dying girl recently and there's no references to greg being coded as autistic - she says she makes that up based of caleb's description of him?

unrelentingspleen
Lurker
Lurker

Post by unrelentingspleen »

Caleb is the one booktuber I can actually tolerate because he's genuine and funny and actually reads things closely to provide really insightful commentary on the material (and let's be real, he's often doing this to absolute sh*t material), which makes it even more hilarious). As everyone's said here, I didn't get ablism at all from his video. I got him making fun of the movies themselves for mostly being poorly-written, poorly-acted and derivative. I just feel bad that he gets accusations like this, and this kind of stuff seems to really affect him. I hope he's ok.

oh_do_tell
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oh_do_tell »

I just wish he becomes more brave to stand up for his videos and not make them and them delete them when someone criticizes him.

greysweatpants20
Informer
Informer

Post by greysweatpants20 »

I'm sad he seemingly left twitter over the debacle. He didn't do anything wrong and I wish he'd stood up for his content rather than leaving. If that is what he needed to do for his own mental health, I get that but I also think part of why these ridiculous threads gain traction is because no one on booktube really stands up for themselves because they are worried about being canceled.

superficialthings
Informer
Informer

Post by superficialthings »

I'm so late on this drama, but if anyone is still interested in this topic, go on Youtube and look up "The Fault In Our Stars 2 - SNL." It was a sketch that appeared on SNL right around when the movie came out. Instead of having cancer, that girl has ebola and falls in love with a guy yada yada. Well anyway, people freaked the fuck out just like they did with Caleb's video. A lot of people were up in arms screaming about how Ebola isn't funny. And just like many have done here, others pointed out that the joke wasn't about ebola itself, it was about the melodramatic romanticization of being sick, that we often see in these teen dramas.

I just found out about this drama with Caleb's video today and immediately thought of the SNL sketch when that all happened way back when.

liana234
Lurker
Lurker

Post by liana234 »

Well I'm superrrr late to this, I wasn't even aware of the controversy until today. I saw his tfios video when it first came out and nothing stood out to me as being ableist, I struggle to see where that would even apply? I'm pretty bummed to see that he stopped making videos, it seems to me like he was subjected to a lot of criticism since he first started on youtube and this was probably the last straw. I hope he's doing alright, I don't know when or if he'll be coming back but I understand his mental health is more important.

CelestiaLudenbergIRL
Learner
Learner

Post by CelestiaLudenbergIRL »

Did he really quit? If so that's disappointing, he was one of the readers on YouTube I genuinely enjoyed watching because I liked his sense of humor.

Return to “BookTube”